• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah, memories
We cut to the statue of Liberty's head, complete with GANGSTA RAP where the Green Goblin is cutting a promo about how he's going to use the fractal to take over the world and become the "Gob-Father" groan from the audience. Spidey and Thor bust in and there's a big fight, with Spidey facing Goblin and Electro (who looks like SHIT) while Thor takes on Rhino, Doc Ock, and The Lizard. Dr Octopus was clearly voiced by Tom Kenny, and he sounded like Spongebob the entire time. Thor at one point hits Rhino with Mjolnir, yelling IT's HAMMER TIME!

This sounds amazing

If Deadpool was getting a new creative team who would you like to see on that book. Remender is unavailable.

-brandon graham and whoever he decides for art
-slott/ramos/stegman
-chip zdarsky on writing + art

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Did you mean born again? Reborn wasn't miller

Yeah, Born Again. I read it in a german translation and the translated title could have been booth :D

Definitly need to pick this up in english, too. To bad, that the Daredevil Miller Companion OHC is out of print and has a insane price, I would have ordered it immediately.

Really a fantastic story, I definitly need to pick up more Daredevil.

Zombine

Banned
It's incredibly difficult to post pictures from Blacksad without spoiling a whole lot, but my god is it perfect:

4178670556_10ba6a8118.jpg

I figure I would pull something in a different language, but the art is just so expressive.

Messi

You'd like it. I think the whole thing was only like, three volumes or something. There were a couple issues that crossed over with Dark Wolverine, so there's a book with those two issues of DW and two issues of X-23, but it's not essential.

This feels like a slight against me lol.

Zombine

Banned
Instead of drawing women spread eagle all the time, Milo Manara could draw some awesome cape books.

But no he needs to be all artsy and shit.
Or in his case, piss.

It's incredibly difficult to post pictures from Blacksad without spoiling a whole lot, but my god is it perfect:

4178670556_10ba6a8118.jpg

I figure I would pull something in a different language, but the art is just so expressive.

Yea Blacksad was one of the best new discoveries I've made in comics. I had no idea about it until this thread, but I am really enjoying it. It's got me really interested in seeking out more European series.

Zombine

Banned
Yea Blacksad was one of the best new discoveries I've made in comics. I had no idea about it until this thread, but I am really enjoying it. It's got me really interested in seeking out more European series.

I've never seen anything quite like it. I'm stuck waiting on IST to send me the second book.

Loke13

Just read the first two volumes of Lucifer by Mike Carey and holy hell is this series amazing I'm surprised I haven't read it until now I'm really impressed that Carey has managed to capture the tone of the Sandman series and the art just helps out a lot.

Lucifer is just one suave motherfucker I loved how he just completely wrecked Izanami's house during his quest to get his wings back. Looking forward to reading the rest of this.

Just read the first two volumes of Lucifer by Mike Carey and holy hell is this series amazing I'm surprised I haven't read it until now I'm really impressed that Carey has managed to capture the tone of the Sandman series and the art just helps out a lot.

Lucifer is just one suave motherfucker I loved how he just completely wrecked Izanami's house during his quest to get his wings back. Looking forward to reading the rest of this.
As I diehard sandman fan I too was stunned when this series released. I went in thinking it'd suck to floored someone managed to capture Gaimans tone and then really expand the world. It does help years later and after reading more of mike Carey that he's the closest in style to Gaiman that I've come across in writers working today. Check Out unwritten and his under rated series crossing midnight

Avengers 34 - damn shit just got real
Captain America's crusade is bullshit if you've read New Avengers.
The Illuminati being monsters? Is it monstrous to destroy a planet to save two universes?

Monstrous would be sitting back and letting your own egotistical morality destroy everything. Which is precisely what everyone other than Namor were willing to do in New Avengers.

The Illuminati being monsters? Is it monstrous to destroy a planet to save two universes?

Monstrous would be sitting back and letting your own egotistical morality destroy everything. Which is precisely what everyone other than Namor were willing to do in New Avengers.

Well, I look at it this way:
You're talking about people who have come up with batshit insane solutions to batshit insane problems before. And the only idea that they can come up with is to blow up the other planet? You have the technology and power to blow up entire planets, crossover dimensions, the list is endless. It's comic book dumb that they can't think up other dumb comic book solutions. If the problem is the two Earths colliding then stop the collision. Crisis averted? Or evacuate everyone to a different alien world, blow up their own Earth and never worry about an incursion again because there is no Earth to be collided with.

Tangent to your point: I find it fascinating though that people comment about DC being grimdark when Marvel is the one with heroes who murder worlds.

Mumei

I need to finish reading it, but I don't want to continue until I get Volume 10. It's out of print, though, and I don't want to have to double-dip on an entirely new set. Bleh. I'll have to get it from eBay or a on Amazon.

You need inspiration? Here's this
mike-allred---x-force---04.jpg

Also feels, FEELS.
Screw you mangos, start on X-Statix then try t find a manga that'll make get feels like X-Statix did.

ahahaha

That is pretty great.

It's all falling apart for Hickman and I find it really cheap and stupid to vilify Namor for actually doing EXACTLY what they all gathered to do. The bomb was armed, it was on the planet, and because he is the only one with the balls to set it off, he's the villain? Lmao. Who the hell built a world destroying bomb? Who transported it to the other Earth? I feel like Hickman dropped the ball big time with that.

IMO Black Panther, Reed, etc. were all acting incredibly selfish. You 6 people are allowed to decide on the destruction of 2 whole universes just because of your morals? Grow up.

Well, I look at it this way:
You're talking about people who have come up with batshit insane solutions to batshit insane problems before. And the only idea that they can come up with is to blow up the other planet? You have the technology and power to blow up entire planets, crossover dimensions, the list is endless. It's comic book dumb that they can't think up other dumb comic book solutions. If the problem is the two Earths colliding then stop the collision. Crisis averted? Or evacuate everyone to a different alien world, blow up their own Earth and never worry about an incursion again because there is no Earth to be collided with.

Tangent to your point: I find it fascinating though that people comment about DC being grimdark when Marvel is the one with heroes who murder worlds.

DC characters being dark is a square peg in a round hole though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's all falling apart for Hickman and I find it really cheap and stupid to vilify Namor for actually doing EXACTLY what they all gathered to do. The bomb was armed, it was on the planet, and because he is the only one with the balls to set it off, he's the villain? Lmao. Who the hell built a world destroying bomb? Who transported it to the other Earth? I feel like Hickman dropped the ball big time with that.

IMO Black Panther, Reed, etc. were all acting incredibly selfish. You 6 people are allowed to decide on the destruction of 2 whole universes just because of your morals? Grow up.

Everyone in New Avengers is in a morally gray area. They just found out there's a difference between talking about killing 6 billion people for the greater good and actually doing it. I don't fault them for not having the balls, that's a hell of a line to cross even if you're the good guy doing it for the right reasons. It's why Batman doesn't kill the Joker, if you start there where do you stop?

That said, Namor isn't a monster for doing it, it had to be done.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

The problem is theres no endgame. So you destroy one world, then two and three. Then what? Youre putting a bandaid on a axe wound and youd figure with so many smart people on the team, theyd realize that. And the fact that they have designated themselves the secret saviors of the world, when this shit is so much bigger than them shows how short sighted they are

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The problem is theres no endgame. So you destroy one world, then two and three. Then what? Youre putting a bandaid on a axe wound and youd figure with so many smart people on the team, theyd realize that. And the fact that they have designated themselves the secret saviors of the world, when this shit is so much bigger than them shows how short sighted they are

The problem is if they can't figure out how to fix it, who can? You've got Reed, Tony, Beast and T'challa in the same room and none of them can figure this out. You look to the future and even they have no answers, shit Franklin doesn't seem to know how to fix it either and you'd think Reed would have told him or Val at some point.

They know it's an axe wound and all they've been doing is applying band-aids, but they have no idea what caused this axe wound or where it's even located so they can't exactly treat it. If they had those bits of information the problem would have been solved in volume one.

When I picture DC characters, I guess I picture hope, or at least an idealistic version of hope. I'm not saying they can't go through dark times, but for me, a lot of the attempts to make characters and books more mature or relevant just make them kinda dorky and not in an endearing way. It's like, many creators are still inspired to write cape books by Watchmen and DKR, but they are still taking away the wrong lessons. I'm not anti-DC either, I enjoy all of their output of theirs that I am reading (I slaughtered my pulls recently, for time reasons more than anything, I was spending too long reading bad books and never getting around to stuff I actually wanted to read).

This is not limited to New 52 stuff either, I've read Cry for Justice and that's worse than anything from the reboot except the Death of the Family Suicide Squad issues (which is the reason a good friend of mine who adores Harley Quinn won't touch comics anymore). It's not even limited to DC, compare All Hail Megatron and the Costa-era Transfomers (the IDW Dork Age) to the current books. Nobody's saying every book has to be frothy fun, but I do think that there's a difference between mature stories and stories with mature content.

And Messi should defnitely buy Bandette. It would be like catnip for him. Such a good book.

Zero Year

Everyone in New Avengers is in a morally gray area. They just found out there's a difference between talking about killing 6 billion people for the greater good and actually doing it. I don't fault them for not having the balls, that's a hell of a line to cross even if you're the good guy doing it for the right reasons. It's why Batman doesn't kill the Joker, if you start there where do you stop?

That said, Namor isn't a monster for doing it, it had to be done.

Yeah, I get that too. But sorry, too fucking bad. It all felt like a cheap cop-out so the ~good ones~ could win and still make someone a world-destroying villain.

Sure, there's no endgame because they haven't figure it out. They're doing their best to keep their head above water. They know they need a permanent solution, but where do they even start? In the meantime they need to keep the universes alive. That's why I hated involving Captain America in this. What's he going to do? Pray away the incursions with his pure soul and indomitable will?

tim1138

Tim,
My first forth world omnibus HC came in (#4) and I'm surprised the paper seems more of a throwback look and feel. I got it from a library reseller. Is this normal for all of them? I figured it'd be glossy paper

Yep, all the Kirby omnibi have old school paper.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The problem is if they can't figure out how to fix it, who can? You've got Reed, Tony, Beast and T'challa in the same room and none of them can figure this out. You look to the future and even they have no answers, shit Franklin doesn't seem to know how to fix it either and you'd think Reed would have told him or Val at some point.

They know it's an axe wound and all they've been doing is applying band-aids, but they have no idea what caused this axe wound or where it's even located so they can't exactly treat it. If they had those bits of information the problem would have been solved in volume one.

brilliance cam come from simple ideas. reed gets amazed by things that he never even had the forethought to consider. to try to shoulder the universe on a handful of men, no matter how smart seems like a flawed idea, especially when you overlook other men and women who would easily help.

Sure, there's no endgame because they haven't figure it out. They're doing their best to keep their head above water. They know they need a permanent solution, but where do they even start? In the meantime they need to keep the universes alive. That's why I hated involving Captain America in this. What's he going to do? Pray away the incursions with his pure soul and indomitable will?

because what their doing now is helping? they are literally on borrowed time. the illuminati have failed at just about every event theyve tried so far, and nothing has been on the scale of this, and it always comes back to bite them in the ass. this is and will be no different. they want to destroy worlds to save theirs, but dont have the conviction to do it? then whats the damn point? fresh ideas from pym, cho and doom could probably help give perspective on things.

sol_bad

Has anyone else read Amazing Spider-Man #1.1-#1.4?
Is anyone else annoyed that people are using mobile phones and other technologies that didn't exist in the 60's?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
brilliance cam come from simple ideas. reed gets amazed by things that he never even had the forethought to consider. to try to shoulder the universe on a handful of men, no matter how smart seems like a flawed idea, especially when you overlook other men and women who would easily help.

because what their doing now is helping? they are literally on borrowed time. the illuminati have failed at just about every event theyve tried so far, and nothing has been on the scale of this, and it always comes back to bite them in the ass. this is and will be no different. they want to destroy worlds to save theirs, but dont have the conviction to do it? then whats the damn point? fresh ideas from pym, cho and doom could probably help give perspective on things.

I don't really think Pym or Cho are going to join the Illuminati, Hickman hasn't used them at all in either book and he's pretty good about not pulling shit out of his ass. If anything they're probably part of an alternate earth that gets blown up by The Cabal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom