• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I love my new job so much :D
I keep forgetting that I'm getting paid so well for it. Oh, and I get tips too. Which I totally didn't think about. So that's sweet. Walkin' around with $1 bills for daaays.

Also, gonna start the Orion omnibus today! I'm excited.

Zombine

Banned
You don't get my humor. :

Rtd0qf0.gif

I keep forgetting that I'm getting paid so well for it. Oh, and I get tips too. Which I totally didn't think about. So that's sweet. Walkin' around with $1 bills for daaays.

.................Ummm......Where exactly did you get a job? I know you said FroYo, but it sounds like you're describing something else entirely.

Also, gonna start the Orion omnibus today! I'm excited.

CL job to a job with $1 tips...

Kipp

.................Ummm......Where exactly did you get a job? I know you said FroYo, but it sounds like you're describing something else entirely.

CL job to a job with $1 tips...

Weelllll... I quit FroYo and got a more... lucrative job. I miss having my nights off and being able to go to bed early.
Finally my butt is getting the recognition it deserves though.

Dude dude dude

Unknown Soldier

RIGHT!?
Where are you at in it?

Kipp

I can't stop thinking about Bacchus. My library only has the first trade, I need to order that omnibus. The art is so good.

Yes! That's one of the other things that's going in my next IST order. I've been waiting on that Bacchus omnibus for FOREVER.
Now that I think about it, between Kabuki, Bacchus, and that one other thing I said I'd buy next that I can't remember off the top of my head, I've got a $50 IST order...

Owzers

Old Man Logan. Yay or nay?

I'm saying neigh but i will get outvoted. It's worth checking out on MU but i'd be happier if i didn't spend the money monthly. Two issues in and it's a typical bendis book, a sluggish pace where you're waiting for a better story to be told than what is offered.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm saying neigh but i will get outvoted. It's worth checking out on MU but i'd be happier if i didn't spend the money monthly. Two issues in and it's a typical bendis book, a sluggish pace where you're waiting for a better story to be told than what is offered.

on the other hand: Sorrentino is still on some next level shit

Kipp

He just
stopped that actresses' assassination and met up with Paul again.
I was reading it last night and losing my shit, but everybody here too mainstream for this shit. Dysart man, what a fucking guy.

So glad you're enjoying it! It's a top tier comic for sure.
Probably about a year ago me and some other guys here (Tim and some other people I can't remember) were practically writing essays about how good it is.

Also, how about Ponticelli's art!? And Dave Johnson's covers!? So good.

Please welcome FroYo to the stage....

Loooool

Busaiku

Went through Superior Spider-Man man again, and honestly some of Mr. Stegman's covers are just as bad as the Uncanny Avengers one.
It's just less pronounced since Otto's in a costume. Pietro, Rogue, and that ribbed lady look really weird though.

Still, I have hope for the actual content.

So glad you're enjoying it! It's a top tier comic for sure.
Probably about a year ago me and some other guys here (Tim and some other people I can't remember) were practically writing essays about how good it is.

Also, how about Ponticelli's art!? And Dave Johnson's covers!? So good.

Every issue I finish, I can't help asking myself - how the hell did this comic even get made? Some no-name creative team shows up with this crazy idea to remake an old DC character as a child-killing sociopath who declares war on Kony and someone approved this?

It's messy, it's belligerent, it's bold, and it still comes together so well. The interiors are so rough but I love that shit. And the covers are masterful. As for Dysart, I feel like this is probably at the same level of Harbinger, but whereas that's a much more well-structured story, this is just rough and brazen - and that incredibly works so well for it.

COMICS! lOTl August 2015: Some comics aren't worth climbing for.

Now that's just not true.

So in Uncanny X-Men, Remender:

• Tears down characters like Wolverine, Psylocke, and Deadpool
  • erases what little of Age of Apocalypse there was left, including any characters related to apocalypse like Shadow King and Archangel
  • Turns Apocalypse into a young boy with a Superman-esque origin
  • Proves that killing as a solution is lame

Conclusion: Remender hated the 90s

Do you think it's a coloring issue? Like, can you expound a bit more on what you mean?

sure

it seems to be a personal preference of mine since I don't think anyone else sees it this way.

Basically he uses some limited ways of creating shapes and giving them dimension

from this page, you can kind of see what I mean

take the first panel for instance, we get stark contrast between light and shadow. Very little in the way of definition for the middle and no transition between the two. Theres a bit of texture there but not too much.

So basically, the difference between his blacks and whites is really big and the outlines of his figures and forms are thin. It kind of looks like he put a photo through a pencil filter then did a threshold filter on it.

Here's an example that I just made

Now I don't think he does that at all. His rendering just reminds me of filters. He's a really good artist. Hell that page I posted is quite excellent comic booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom