• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I like Applebee's, Transformers Age of Extinction, Terminator Salvation, Terminator Genesys and Go Bots and even I think that Fan 4 Stick look bad.

I think the first trailer for the movie was intriguing, but both the film and the characters at large are being sent to die.

Zombine

Banned
I think the first trailer for the movie was intriguing, but both the film and the characters at large are being sent to die.

They don't have a lot of marketing options to be honest. Marvel's sanctions are ruthless and the deals they have made are ridiculously awful. It'll be one of the bigger flops of the summer for sure.

Squire

Banned
So in Uncanny X-Men, Remender:

• Tears down characters like Wolverine, Psylocke, and Deadpool
  • erases what little of Age of Apocalypse there was left, including any characters related to apocalypse like Shadow King and Archangel
  • Turns Apocalypse into a young boy with a Superman-esque origin
  • Proves that killing as a solution is lame

Conclusion: Remender hated the 90s

I think he's a little harsh with Psylocke, like, I said, but I don't think Remender tears any of those characters down. He reigns them and builds up some of them. I think the thing with that team is they're starting to lose their morality and without that, they're just killers. Logan and Betsy have been at it for a while, so it makes sense that they get it the hardest.

The whole thing is this huge, great redemption story for Fantomex. I love how every major thing that happens stems from his actions at the end of the first arc. He fucked up, he knows it, and he does his best to make it right.

Deadpool is like Renender's secret weapon. He completely subverts your expectations by making him the groups moral compass. He jokes and he'll get his hands dirty, but there's an integrity at his core that comes out when it's needed most.

It's funny you say Renender probably hates the 90s. When I finished Uncanny Avengers and posted about that, Tyrant Rave said it seemed like Remender enjoyed Avengers stories and that UA was in the spirit of Kurt Busiek's run.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
sure

it seems to be a personal preference of mine since I don't think anyone else sees it this way.

Basically he uses some limited ways of creating shapes and giving them dimension

from this page, you can kind of see what I mean

take the first panel for instance, we get stark contrast between light and shadow. Very little in the way of definition for the middle and no transition between the two. Theres a bit of texture there but not too much.

So basically, the difference between his blacks and whites is really big and the outlines of his figures and forms are thin. It kind of looks like he put a photo through a pencil filter then did a threshold filter on it.

Here's an example that I just made

Now I don't think he does that at all. His rendering just reminds me of filters. He's a really good artist. Hell that page I posted is quite excellent comic booking.

Thanks for the breakdown, Ed. I now totally understand what you meant. Super interesting point--I really admire his uniqueness and just how heavily he plays with panels, their boundaries, and color-coding everything. Him coming through on a DC book was fucking refreshing. Also, it's cool to know how artists evaluate other artists.

Sandfox

So in Uncanny X-Men, Remender:

• Tears down characters like Wolverine, Psylocke, and Deadpool
  • erases what little of Age of Apocalypse there was left, including any characters related to apocalypse like Shadow King and Archangel
  • Turns Apocalypse into a young boy with a Superman-esque origin
  • Proves that killing as a solution is lame

Conclusion: Remender hated the 90s

I think he's a little harsh with Psylocke, like, I said, but I don't think Remender tears any of those characters down. He reigns them and builds up some of them. I think the thing with that team is they're starting to lose their morality and without that, they're just killers. Logan and Betsy have been at it for a while, so it makes sense that they get it the hardest.

The whole thing is this huge, great redemption story for Fantomex. I love how every major thing that happens stems from his actions at the end of the first arc. He fucked up, he knows it, and he does his best to make it right.

Deadpool is like Renender's secret weapon. He completely subverts your expectations by making him the groups moral compass. He jokes and he'll get his hands dirty, but there's an integrity at his core that comes out when it's needed most.

It's funny you say Renender probably hates the 90s. When I finished Uncanny Avengers and posted about that, Tyrant Rave said it seemed like Remender enjoyed Avengers stories and that UA was in the spirit of Kurt Busiek's run.

I remember right before Axis when there were people convinced that he hated Cyclops and certain other X-Men. I for one was convinced that Cyclops would die based how things were going in certain titles.

Reading Batman Eternal (you guys totally undersold this book, btw), and I think we might have an answer to the Tim Drake question, since even in this Tim's clearly very familiar with Alfred and Bruce. I'm thinking that the error was in whatever source pegged him as not being a Robin, rather than the other way 'round.

"Killing is wrong, and bad. There should be a new, stronger word for killing like badwrong or badong. YES, killing is badong. From this moment, I will stand for the opposite of killing, gnodab."

TWO bad alternate futures showing what happens when heroes kill as a preventative measure. An arc revolving around a universe of Captain Britains who pass harsh judgements without a system of checks and balances. Kid Apocalypse.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is a story about (mostly) good people treading the lines between what's right, what's necessary, and what's wrong. It's about how everyone has the choice to do the right thing, and having to live with that. There were some missteps, but as a whole I enjoyed this run tremendously.

Still the best only good thing done with the Apocalypse character ever.

Zombine

Banned
download.jpg

Thanks for the breakdown, Ed. I now totally understand what you meant. Super interesting point--I really admire his uniqueness and just how heavily he plays with panels, their boundaries, and color-coding everything. Him coming through on a DC book was fucking refreshing. Also, it's cool to know how artists evaluate other artists.
Honestly, I dont have much experience with his work, but the work I *have* seen is very innovative in execution. Exciting artist really.

I found out what Ales's favorite anime is. I'm not telling. Also, he was at meltdown and Stan Lee showed up... awkward.

more tease than a Gameproff post

Have you ever seen Utena? It's fucking weird.

Serial Experiment Lain

Reading Batman Eternal (you guys totally undersold this book, btw), and I think we might have an answer to the Tim Drake question, since even in this Tim's clearly very familiar with Alfred and Bruce. I'm thinking that the error was in whatever source pegged him as not being a Robin, rather than the other way 'round.

It's people not knowing how to read.

Messi

Might be better in trade but that won't change the wet fart of a final arc.

Also eternal started out cool and never delivered on its potential.

Hagi

Yeah, I watched all 39 episodes and the movie. That car was in almost every fucking episode.

"Utena, my love!"

I just re watched the car scene from the movie and yup that's fucking weird alright. It's something I'd like to get the context for but at the same time in my head the movie just ends there with this girl getting swallowed by a car wash and transformed into some reject car out of Speed Racer.

Hagi

I bet Messi has like a folder full of Olivia gifs while I have to slum through Tumblr to find ones where someone hasn't Photoshopped their dick next to her mouth. To be a true fan..

tumblr_nqvdjkmcYZ1td3i5po1_250.gif

Owzers

hey there's two Messi's here? Have they both not watched Star Wars?

Also, this Rocket League game is good.

Rocket League and Hearthstone might be my two favorite games of recent me playing games, neither one asks me to do favors in order to get info for someone i don't care about despite sharing my hair color.

Red Robin is literally another name for a Robin with another color coat.

So you're saying even though he was calling himself Red Robin, he was still wearing a Robin suit? That's the only thing that makes sense and that was definitely not obvious from just reading, because I've been struggling to understand this for 3 years.

I'm going to stop now before I end up watching House or some shit

tumblr_nqlm1uvjn61u7o1q0o1_250.gif

Please. Don't stop. It's worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom