• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder that next month, Morrison's 7-year run on Batman is coming to an end! It's spanned multiple titles, multiple artists, multiple Batmen, multiple dimensions, and even multiple continuities, but once next week's #12 and July 24th #13 hits, it's All Over. It's had it's ups and downs, but I truly believe that it will go down as definitive long-form statement on the character. You don't want to miss it!

1372448419.jpg

1372448430.jpg

Blader

Might have to do a re-read of Morrison's whole Batman run before it wraps up.

I enjoy Morrison books (usually), but it's always when I them together as a whole run that it jumps to masterwork status for me. Books like Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and New X-Men become roughly 100x better and more interesting when read from beginning to end in a shorter period of time vs. over several years.

I doubt it. I'll put money on the return of Peter Parker being a huge event at this point (maybe not huge but as big as Spider-Island). Plus we've still got Hunger after Infinity.

Speculative spoilers below
After reading the latest Axel-In-Charge
I would have to agree that Peter is probably returning early 2014.

CBR: Well, let's see if some message boarders can't loosen your tongue. Mix_Masta_Micah had this to say, "I've been particularly pleased with the recent announcements for creative teams of the new Original Graphic Novel initiative, especially the Spider-Man novel team. I was wondering if the characters for the announced ogn's are going to be limited to that one entry (just one spider or one avengers novel) or if theses characters will receive more than one installment later on like a series of spidey or avengers ogn's? I feel that other characters like daredevil and the x-men will get their due, this is more of a longevity of the initiative question."

Alonso: Time will tell, Mix_Masta_Micah. Our current plan is to produce quality standalone story that is relevant to current continuity. We are not limiting any character or team to just one OGN.

Then again I'm fully assuming that it's Peter Parker in the OGN. Also I don't think It will be a huge event, he still has a secret identity to keep.

Also Hunger is being release next month before Infinity.

I've always been a Image kid, and then usually next comes marvel but after picking comics today....this is the first time ever I have had way more DC titles than the others!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Speculative spoilers below
After reading the latest Axel-In-Charge
I would have to agree that Peter is probably returning early 2014.

Then again I'm fully assuming that it's Peter Parker in the OGN. Also I don't think It will be a huge event, he still has a secret identity to keep.

Also Hunger is being release next month before Infinity.

We can get something the size of Spider-Island pretty easy for it. SSM, SS and Venom. Boom, event.

I didn't know Hunger was coming so soon. I wonder how it's going to go. As hyped as I am for Infinity, Hunger has my interest on a pure curiosity level.

Just a reminder that next month, Morrison's 7-year run on Batman is coming to an end! It's spanned multiple titles, multiple artists, multiple Batmen, multiple dimensions, and even multiple continuities, but once next week's #12 and July 24th #13 hits, it's All Over. It's had it's ups and downs, but I truly believe that it will go down as definitive long-form statement on the character. You don't want to miss it!

1372448419.jpg

1372448430.jpg

Morrison going to have Bat's kill that chick. Just to troll people.

Weird to think that once Inc ends I won't be buying any Batman or Green Lantern books.

Every epic runs like that, it seems like natural end points. This will probably be the last DC book I buy until...shit, Multiversity I guess.

also, I'm taking this time to plug DREAM THIEF if you haven't read it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lazarus #1 was pretty dope. I enjoyed how Rucka didn't waste the entire issue explaining the premise and world. He laid out the scene and the basic concepts, and let his characters shine. Too much expository in the first issue is always a turn off for me, and Lazarus did not have that problem.

Image Comics has really been hitting it out of the park for me recently. They've had some great staple series going for awhile now, but it finally feels like they've gotten to the point where there is a "must have" Image comic every week.

Manhattan Projects, Saga, Chew, The Walking Dead (finally feels like its picking up!), East of West, Invincible, Nowhere Men, Fatale, etc. Now we can add Lazarus to the list.

Image Comics has really been hitting it out of the park for me recently. They've had some great staple series going for awhile now, but it finally feels like they've gotten to the point where there is a "must have" Image comic every week.

Manhattan Projects, Saga, Chew, The Walking Dead (finally feels like its picking up!), East of West, Invincible, Nowhere Men, Fatale, etc. Now we can add Lazarus to the list.

I've been in this frame of mind for a while. Image puts out a lot of great stuff. And they take chances on things the big two wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. They're easily my favorite comics publisher.

And as to your list, you may also want to give Prophet a try.

I'm amazed to see people praise All Star Superman, and hate All Star Batman and Robin. Most interesting.

This is my happy dance for having Morrison off Batman completely.

tumblr_m6gpszV3XO1ryqc1xo1_400.gif

Vibranium

Banned
Morrison definitely is a very divisive writer on the internet, that's for sure. I still have to read through more than half of his Batman run, haven't gotten around to that yet. I've spoiled myself on everything that happens though so I don't know if it'd be worth it.

I've been in this frame of mind for a while. Image puts out a lot of great stuff. And they take chances on things the big two wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. They're easily my favorite comics publisher.

Two years ago if someone had told me that my two favorite publishers in a couple years time would be Image and Valiant, I would have called them crazy. But that's what's happened. Marvel and DC are really declining (although they still do have some great books), Vertigo is on life support, and Image has established itself as the best place to get original comics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Morrison definitely is a very divisive writer on the internet, that's for sure. I still have to read through more than half of his Batman run, haven't gotten around to that yet. I've spoiled myself on everything that happens though so I don't know if it'd be worth it.

He's a good writer, but he can get a little too bogged down in his own weirdness.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sure, but that's mostly in his own books. With the exception of maybe Doom Patrol, his superhero works are (comparatively) normal and straight forward.

I dunno, there are parts of his Batman run that are just way to weird for their own good. Like I love All Star Superman and I love most of his Batman run, but man there are just parts of that run that don't do it for me.

Last week I read the Judge Dredd stories in the 2000 AD FCBD book and then on Wednesday I saw IDW's Judge Dredd #8 and thought, heck may as well give that a read. Wow, what a great example of how very easy it is to have a property be wonderful in one person's hands and terrible in another.

The 2000 AD FCBD book was so good, by the way. Great stories and fantastic art. Wish I could get the book here in Canada. I know it can be accessed online but I really prefer feelies, especially with a grand majestic beast like 2000 AD.

Owzers

Two years ago if someone had told me that my two favorite publishers in a couple years time would be Image and Valiant, I would have called them crazy. But that's what's happened. Marvel and DC are really declining (although they still do have some great books), Vertigo is on life support, and Image has established itself as the best place to get original comics.

image was always the Walking Dead and Invincible publisher, now i look to them every month to see what they are releasing, i get about 10 monthlies from them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think
they're breaking up after that one. I mean...shit, how do you sleep with the woman who killed the kid you've been raising for 10 years?

Seriously,
if there was ever a reason to dump a girl this is it. I mean shit, that was coldblooded by Reminder.

Veelk

Banned
Sure, but that's mostly in his own books. With the exception of maybe Doom Patrol, his superhero works are (comparatively) normal and straight forward.

Really? All Star Superman alone was way too much for me to endure. I basically haven't read most of his Batman work because he'll ruin it for me with his stupid wacky ideas. I can't imagine the insanity that pervades his original work.

Blader

Really? All Star Superman alone was way too much for me to endure. I basically haven't read most of his Batman work because he'll ruin it for me with his stupid wacky ideas. I can't imagine the insanity that pervades his original work.

What's so radically weird about All Star Superman compared to the 70 years of Supes comics before it?

I think what might throw people about Morrison - or at least it's what throws me - isn't the ideas but the pacing. He condenses a lot of story into panels, let alone issues, which is pretty jarring in an industry where six issues to do anything is the norm.

Veelk

Banned
What's so radically weird about All Star Superman compared to the 70 years of Supes comics before it?

I think what might throw people about Morrison - or at least it's what throws me - isn't the ideas but the pacing. He condenses a lot of story into panels, let alone issues, which is pretty jarring in an industry where six issues to do anything is the norm.

I hate that excuse because ASS is suppose to be stand alone from the rest of the continuity. Paying homages, but not dependant on it. I'm sure superman was cummilatively weirder before morrison, but I don't think that excuses the weirdness in the comic itself. Besides, I only became a comic reader recently and ASS was one of the first superman comics that I read. The 70 years before it has no bearing for me.

And I agree, it's also the pacing. I can accept one or two weird ideas, especially if they're justified within the narrative, but Morrison just shoves it down your throat without explanation. If your going to have as much weirdness as Morrison does, then you have to justify it.

I just find his work highly contemptible because of it. It doesn't help that people like to post that stupid quote where he bashes coherent and rational narratives.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cap gonna go insane cap 8 stuff plus illuminati doing him dirty will fuck him up

Holy shit I forgot the Illuminati stuff. Cap is going to get mindfucked at some point down the line, shit. Dude's getting
betrayed by everyone at this point

I think he is dreaming this all at this point, but if he isn't yeah he and sharon are done....

No way it's a dream. That would be way too big a cop out for Reminder. I could see a way to pull it off without being one, it'd be good, but I'd rather he didn't go that route. I sort of want this to stick, Ian was awesome. I don't want him to have been a dream.

The only Superman books I've read so far are All-Star and Action Comics vol 1 and neither really clicked with me. I dont know if I dont like Superman (I think I do) or I just dont like GMs take on him.

Veelk

Banned
The only Superman books I've read so far are All-Star and Action Comics vol 1 and neither really clicked with me. I dont know if I dont like Superman (I think I do) or I just dont like GMs take on him.

I recommend Mark Waid's Birthright. That story clicked with me perfectly while most definitely being a true Superman story.

Owzers

hmm i don't like superman and i liked All Star a lot, didn't like Action at all. Try Geoff Johns Action Comics run, his superboy Adventure Comics short 10ish issue run, Busiek's Secret Identity, or Millar's Red Son if you want to give something another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom