• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Superman chat brings to mind the failed Superman 2000 pitch, which is an interesting document if only in that three of those guys - Morrison, Millar, Waid - all put out some some character-defining stuff from its scraps. It also presages a lot of things from the last few years. They wanted to get rid of the red shorts, change the Daily Planet into an Internet-based news organization, and basically pitched One More Day to dissolve the Supermarriage since they didn't want to do a cosmic reboot (which they ended up doing a decade later!) It's easy to sigh and ponder what could have been ofc, but I really can't help but doing it here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superman chat brings to mind the failed Superman 2000 pitch, which is an interesting document if only in that three of those guys - Morrison, Millar, Waid - all put out some some character-defining stuff from its scraps. It also presages a lot of things from the last few years. They wanted to get rid of the red shorts, change the Daily Planet into an Internet-based news organization, and basically pitched One More Day to dissolve the Supermarriage since they didn't want to do a cosmic reboot (which they ended up doing a decade later!) It's easy to sigh and ponder what could have been ofc, but I really can't help but doing it here.

Holy shit, that way they came up with to dissolve the marriage sounds like it would have been a great story. Why the hell did they not do that instead of the universal reboot? I teared up just reading it, I can only imagine if they did it and managed to do justice by the idea. It's also way better than OMD was.

would have lved superman 2000 if only to see how 4 people writing the book would be. apperntly is was pulled at the last possible minute and that is why they millar/morison went to marvel. which i guessed worked out in the end

I feel DC and marvel should try the Brand New day thing of rotating writers on abook. was awesome getting new awesome spidy stries every month. especially the gaunlet stuff

Tizoc

Man I had no idea Lazarus was by Rucka, I just noticed his name on the book and read it.
Good stuff, looking forward to next issue X3

BTW if my memory serves me right, Rucka wrote the big 3 DC characters prior to Infinite Crisis.

Any good Supe books that dont involve an orgin story? I get that part of his life.

Well there's Smallville Season 11, which also introduces Batman and Barbra Gordon as Nightwing.
EDIT: Oh and find any Superman TPBs written by Greg Rucka!

Vibranium

Banned
Cap gonna go insane cap 8 stuff plus illuminati doing him dirty will fuck him up

Yeah, there's no fucking way Cap doesn't have PTSD in future arcs after all this crap he's been through in Dimension Z. Then again you could say him and Bucky both probably suffer from it on a regular basis since they were the Allies personal "Ghostbusters" during the war, and the pain of the Winter Soldier years just add to that lol.

That reminds me, I still want a book, "Marvel WWII" that updates the Invaders and Cap's war years in more depth and modernizes the stories more. Bru and co. did a fantastic job retconning a ton of stuff (The Young Allies story is one of the greatest retellings in comics IMO) though, he does a ton of homework with his history. I dug the D-Day outfits he gave to Cap and Buck during his "Captain America and Bucky" run.

Yeah, there's no fucking way Cap doesn't have PTSD in future arcs after all this crap he's been through in Dimension Z. Then again you could say him and Bucky both probably suffer from it on a regular basis since they were the Allies personal "Ghostbusters" during the war, and the pain of the Winter Soldier years just add to that lol.

That reminds me, I still want a book, "Marvel WWII" that updates the Invaders and Cap's war years in more depth and modernizes the stories more. Bru and co. did a fantastic job retconning a ton of stuff (The Young Allies story is one of the greatest retellings in comics IMO) though, he do a ton of work with his history. I dug the D-Day outfits he gave to Cap and Buck during his "Captain America and Bucky" run.

check out the marvels project by brubaker and epting. really fun story set in ww2

Vibranium

Banned
check out the marvels project by brubaker and epting. really fun story set in ww2

I've read it all of Bru's WWII stuff (some of the stories I don't remember, but I do recall names), I really enjoyed it all. The only thing that annoys me in his run is that I think he should have revamped the WWII costumes. I know it's easily justified by the fact the Allies/Axis put them in gaudy outfits on purpose for propaganda/fear effect, but I still think it should be retconned slightly to give all the characters more of a hybrid between soldiers and superheroes/villains (I know this probably isn't opinion many people share).

Instead of that dumbass Superboy and the legion shit Dan Didio and Johns love cramming into his origin this proposal where he meets the JSA and they give him protips because Dr.Fate told them he will usher in the age of super heroes makes way more sense and is alot cooler. I like the idea that the JSA were just this group of vigilantes acting in the shadows and Superman is like the first mainstream hero to come onto the scene. It's the best of both worlds.

A lot of the other ideas in the proposal ended up in Birthright, Morrison's Action Comics & All-Star Superman run, and even Geoff's post-Infinite Crisis Superman stuff.

The Boys is on sale this weekend. I'd go for it but i already started collecting the trades, gah. Might go for most of it anyway because fuck it.

Instead of that dumbass Superboy and the legion shit Dan Didio and Johns love cramming into his origin.

Whatthefuckamireading.gif

You do realize Superboy and the LOSH has been a part of his history since, oh, 1958, well before Dan Dido and Geoff Johns, right? Might as well complain about "them" cramming that bullshit about him being an alien from another world they love so much. Or that nonsense about him growing up in Smallville they cram in.

Tenck

What's a good series to start on with the Flash? I'm looking at the new ones but I'm not sure if people would recommend to start with those.

Tizoc

What's a good series to start on with the Flash? I'm looking at the new ones but I'm not sure if people would recommend to start with those.

I personally would recommend, chronologically
Carmine Infantino's run on The Flash from the 50s and 60s (Optional)
Mark Waid's run from the late 80s/early 90s
Impulse by Mark Waid (good luck finding TPBs though >_>; )
The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar (I own both books, great runs)
Geoff Johns' run on The Flash, at least up til before Nu52

Vyer

Instead of that dumbass Superboy and the legion shit Dan Didio and Johns love cramming into his origin this proposal where he meets the JSA and they give him protips because Dr.Fate told them he will usher in the age of super heroes makes way more sense and is alot cooler.

LoSH is from way before that.

And you just described an episode of Smallville.

Finally made my way through all 5 volumes of American Vampire. I still have the Special that came out a few weeks ago to read. What an abrupt ending that does not really close anything out. Does Snyder plan to continue this one day?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made my way through all 5 volumes of American Vampire. I still have the Special that came out a few weeks ago to read. What an abrupt ending that does not really close anything out. Does Snyder plan to continue this one day?

It's supposed to continue sometime at the end of the year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

A lot of the elements in this seem to have been used for All-Star Superman.

Boogiepop

Hm, any particularly good Iron Man (outside of Armor Wars) or Punisher trades? Also, how is Batman: Year One Hundred? I'm still trying to brainstorm gift ideas, heh.

Blader

Mark Waid's Flash run is IMO the definitive take on the character.

And also one of my favorite comic runs of a time.

The short Morrison/Millar run is also fun stuff.

dhusband

Neo Member
Is the boys worth it? I read it at the start but then dropped it.

I say don't bother. The Boys started as one of my favorite series, but it just ran out of gas well before the ending. After Robertson leaves there are some stupid twists, Ennis forgets details he established in early issues and the ending is fairly anticlimactic.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hm, any particularly good Iron Man (outside of Armor Wars) or Punisher trades? Also, how is Batman: Year One Hundred? I'm still trying to brainstorm gift ideas, heh.

Year 100 is excellent. Other than that, Ennis' Punisher work is great, but doubly so when it goes from Marvel Knights to Max.

I'm catching up on some Amazing Spider-Man trades and had a quick question. Does every Avenger know Spider-Man's secret identity? Or is there only a select few people that know?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm catching up on some Amazing Spider-Man trades and had a quick question. Does every Avenger know Spider-Man's secret identity? Or is there only a select few people that know?

I think it's like half know. I know Logan, Cap, Thing, Dr Strange and Captain Marvel know. Pretty sure that's it. Apparently no one bothered to tell Tony. Probably because of what happened last time he found out...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Oh yeah, it's not over. This is more like the halfway point. There's a brief hiatus in publishing to help give Albuquerque a headstart on art and to let Snyder get ahead on scripts for his other books.

Whatthefuckamireading.gif

You do realize Superboy and the LOSH has been a part of his history since, oh, 1958, well before Dan Dido and Geoff Johns, right? Might as well complain about "them" cramming that bullshit about him being an alien from another world they love so much. Or that nonsense about him growing up in Smallville they cram in.

Yes im aware it was around in the 60s but it was disregarded as time went on and straight up not part of his history when Bryne rebooted Superman in the 80s. I don't even think the legion was mentioned at all in the 00s when Waid redid his origin again in Birthright. It wasn't until Johns came on the book that him and Didio decided to shove the legion back into supermans story because "hurrr thats how it was in the silver age"

To me the whole legion thing is an unnecessary convultion but I do realize without the superman brand the legion comics can't stand on their own two feet (which is why they are yet again getting cancelled).

But then I'm not surprised a guy with a Mon-El avatar would get angry at me for saying that.

Really thought I would enjoy Hawkeye #11, but I honestlyt wasn't feeling it. Maybe a reread will do it justice. I really loved what Aja tried with the visual storytelling though.

(1) Yes im aware it was around in the 60s but it was disregarded as time went on and straight up not part of his history when Bryne rebooted Superman in the 80s. I don't even think the legion was mentioned at all in the 00s when Waid redid his origin again in Birthright. It wasn't until Johns came on the book that him and Didio decided to shove the legion back into supermans story because "hurrr thats how it was in the silver age"

(2) To me the whole legion thing is an unnecessary convultion but I do realize without the superman brand the legion comics can't stand on their own two feet (which is why they are yet again getting cancelled).

(3) But then I'm not surprised a guy with a Mon-El avatar would get angry at me for saying that.

(1) There has been two instances of the Legion being "removed" from the backstory. Once as you mentioned during the 80s, and the Legion inspiration was replaced with Mon-El (This was the 5 years later shift, if I recall). Then again with Superboy (Connor Kent) as the inspiration for Threeboot. Both of these versions were relatively (in the grand scheme of Legion / Superman history) short lived. For the bulk of Superman's history, the Legion has been a part of it.

(2) How is it convoluted, exactly? Superman is the inspiration to a group of heroes a 1000 years in the future. They come back in time to meet him and become a group of friends he can relate to, during his formative years, and they in part reaffirm his own ideals. It's a feedback loop. And while Legion sales are currently being canceled there have been times that it has been successful enough to support 2-3 titles at a time. So you can't exactly say the concept is bad because of the current situation. By that logic any title that has been canceled is guilty of that.

(3) Really? Gonna attack my avatar? Not my myriad of Legion posts in the past? :x OK. It was recently Superboy Prime. He murdered Legionnaires. Does that make me a masochist? ;)

My point is; I don't see how the Legion, as a concept, is "hurr durr".

Wool

UXM variant cover. Who's the girl on the top right?

Uygvohx.jpg

Savitar

Let's see, Rogue with Storms costume maybe?

Storm's with Emma's costume.

Emma's with Jean Grey's.

Rachel's head with Jubilee's costume.

Jubilee's with Wolverines

And.....Psylocke? with Dazzler's costume.

Is Jub's still a vampire, I know some people hated that but never minded it myself. Still expected them to turn her back into the same deal from the 90's because hey..comics.

Is Jub's still a vampire, I know some people hated that but never minded it myself. Still expected them to turn her back into the same deal from the 90's because hey..comics.

I thought that vampire arc of the last X-Men series was a fun read, though it was a bit far-fetched for an X-men story. But maybe that's what made it fun to read.

Really enjoyed the comics I picked up my favorites being Indestructible Hulk 9 All New X-men 13 Batman Superman Guardians of the Galaxy 4 X-men 2 Uncanny Avengers 9 and Uncanny X-men 7.

I've been thinking but has there been a character with the the wealth of talent to work on it than daredevil.

Miller
BENDIS
Brubaker
Waid

Plus all the gret artist

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've been thinking but has there been a character with the the wealth of talent to work on it than daredevil.

Miller
BENDIS
Brubaker
Waid

Plus all the gret artist

That's because Daredevil is the best character in the MU with the best supervillian of all time. No, not Kingpin.

Women. I'm talking about women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom