• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not a fan of that "opening artist draws first story, never returns" shit. Especially when it's like 3 issues. I mean, I knew Cassaday and Tony Moore were gonna bounce, but losing Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera so quickly on Daredevil was pretty lame(although they both went off to do creator-owned work, so I understand). Thank goodness Chris Samnee is some sexy Milton Caniff by way of Mazzucchelli artist extraordinaire.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I hate that excuse because ASS is suppose to be stand alone from the rest of the continuity. Paying homages, but not dependant on it. I'm sure superman was cummilatively weirder before morrison, but I don't think that excuses the weirdness in the comic itself. Besides, I only became a comic reader recently and ASS was one of the first superman comics that I read. The 70 years before it has no bearing for me.

And I agree, it's also the pacing. I can accept one or two weird ideas, especially if they're justified within the narrative, but Morrison just shoves it down your throat without explanation. If your going to have as much weirdness as Morrison does, then you have to justify it.

I just find his work highly contemptible because of it. It doesn't help that people like to post that stupid quote where he bashes coherent and rational narratives.

IMO, All-Star Superman is a comic that you need to approach differently from most normal books. Most comics are much more traditional in the way that they dole out information - the panel to panel flow of information is a trickle, with maybe each panel conveying one of two new bits for the story, sometimes even less.

Where ASS differs is that it's incredibly dense, and panels can sometimes be entire little stories in themselves with the nuances and histories that can be inferred from the details. Sometimes it seems that really big ideas can be throwaway but they're not, it's more that they're fully formed ideas that don't need to be expanded upon - there's a dozen more around the corner. Stuff like the lizard people under metropolis or the stuff with Kandor or the Superman squad (which in itself is a great callback to DC One Million which is awesome and everyone needs to read) are perfect little gems of ideas, and if you read it slowly and take it in it's a lot more enjoyable than rushing through it and looking for the overt plot.

Wool

Yeah, brah is done. Dodson and I yhink Lopez is the new "ongoing" artist

I googled "dodson comic artist" and got a guy named Terry Dodson along with a drawing of a topless Emma Frost. Is that right? Is he going to give them all bigger boobs all of a sudden? All of the art I looked at featured some Grimm Fairy Tales lookin women.

Terry Dodson is pretty damn cheesecakey which...makes him a bit of a questionable choice for all female comic where I assume they're trying to get away from stereotypical female cheesecake

Wool

For reference, this is a drawing he did of psylocke:

DodsonSDCC2010.png

Veelk

Banned
IMO, All-Star Superman is a comic that you need to approach differently from most normal books. Most comics are much more traditional in the way that they dole out information - the panel to panel flow of information is a trickle, with maybe each panel conveying one of two new bits for the story, sometimes even less.

Where ASS differs is that it's incredibly dense, and panels can sometimes be entire little stories in themselves with the nuances and histories that can be inferred from the details. Sometimes it seems that really big ideas can be throwaway but they're not, it's more that they're fully formed ideas that don't need to be expanded upon - there's a dozen more around the corner. Stuff like the lizard people under metropolis or the stuff with Kandor or the Superman squad (which in itself is a great callback to DC One Million which is awesome and everyone needs to read) are perfect little gems of ideas, and if you read it slowly and take it in it's a lot more enjoyable than rushing through it and looking for the overt plot.
I've essentially experienced the story 3 times now, with the last time specifically trying to pay attention to all these little things. I'll agree that it's certainly dense with ideas that try to be crammed into pages, but yeah, I really do feel that they are essentially throwaway ideas. Maybe not to you if you read the comics where all these references originated from, since you already have the background information in your head to build on, but are pretty much touch and go without larger significance than what is needed for the plot. The entire dinosaur thing, for example, would have been interesting if they'd taken time to explore the history, culture and characters and how living undetected underground was possible, but morrison just used it as a monster of the week for lois to get in on the crime fighting aspect of being superwoman. They could have been ordinary robbers and they would have served the same story purpose. Without being fully developed, I just can't get immersed in the story because every few pages there is something that forces me to step back and think "WTF'. It's very distracting.

But hey, to each their own.

Superman Unchained is it's own universe correct? Not apart of the DC Comics universe reboot?

Has it been selling okay?

Same universe. And we won't know sales til early mid July but it's a #1 issue with Snyder, Lee and a ton of awesome variants. I'm sure it sold well. It's later issues that will tell.

speedline

Banned
What's a good series to start on with the Flash? I'm looking at the new ones but I'm not sure if people would recommend to start with those.

Heck, I started with Flashpoint and went right into the N52 Flash title. Was a little confusing at first, but worked fine once I understood all the concepts.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've essentially experienced the story 3 times now, with the last time specifically trying to pay attention to all these little things. I'll agree that it's certainly dense with ideas that try to be crammed into pages, but yeah, I really do feel that they are essentially throwaway ideas. Maybe not to you if you read the comics where all these references originated from, since you already have the background information in your head to build on, but are pretty much touch and go without larger significance than what is needed for the plot. The entire dinosaur thing, for example, would have been interesting if they'd taken time to explore the history, culture and characters and how living undetected underground was possible, but morrison just used it as a monster of the week for lois to get in on the crime fighting aspect of being superwoman. They could have been ordinary robbers and they would have served the same story purpose. Without being fully developed, I just can't get immersed in the story because every few pages there is something that forces me to step back and think "WTF'. It's very distracting.

But hey, to each their own.

It sounds like you're asking for less imagination from your comics? Yes they could have been balacava'd thugs but... that would have been really boring. So instead we get a glimpse of an idiosyncratic and weird little commune of dinosaur people under metropolis ("Long have we feared and admired you, Superman" is one of my favourite lines ever, I love the humility in it :p). It's fantastical and whimsical and sweet.

Tenck

Damn, you know you're really into a comic when you're legitimately sad for a character in a comic book.

Hawkeye related.

Gil being shot in the head in issue #9

jaxword

Has anyone here ever read Terry Moore's Strangers In Paradise? Omnibus comes out fairly soon, and I'm thinking of checking it out.

Extremely heavy-handed and cliche in parts, also has a hard time separating the parts that should be serious, realistic moments versus silly, comicbook logic.

Not a bad read, just has its flaws.

I think Saga has been away long enough to wean the addiction.

My pull list is out of control. IT NEEDS TO START SOMEWHERE.

But seriously. This shit is rough. I don't want to cut anything. ><

Tizoc

Looking back it...as far as Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes goes, Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 is prob. the BEST parts of the show.
3/4 is still pretty good if you ask me!

I feel your pain dude, my pull list needs an axe taken to it as well. But wherever I start, it sure as shit isn't going to be with Saga.

Action Comics
The Adventures of Superman
All-Star Western (Maybe Drop)
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman: The Dark Knight (Maybe Drop)
Batman/Superman
Batman and ...
Batman Beyond Unlimited
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman (Maybe Drop)
Constantine
Detective Comics (Maybe Drop)
Earth 2
Flash
Green Arrow (Maybe Drop)
Green Lantern
Green Lantern New Guardians
Green Lantern Corps
Green Team
Justice League
Justice League Dark (Maybe Drop)
Justice Leage of America
Justice Leage of America's Vibe
Katana
Larfleeze
Legends of the Dark Knight
Legion of Super Heroes (Canceled)
The Movement
Nightwing
Red Lanterns
Suicide Squad
Superboy
Supergirl
Superman
Superman Unchained
Talon
Teen Titans
Threshold (Canceled)
Trinity of Sin: Pandora
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest

Saga
Ten Grand

I'm currently at 44 pulls. I'd like to get the list down to as close to 30 as possible. I know I should probably drop stuff like Katana and Vibe because they are destined to be canceled, but I almost want to keep getting them so I can have the "full miniseries" as it were. Next on the maybe list would be Constantine and not getting Pandora. Basically, I think I should shore up around Batman, Superman and Green Lantern and a few of the satellite series... which is part of the reason some of these other niche titles are getting canceled.

Owzers

My pull list is around 44 too, give or take. I have a horrible time cutting anything. Dial H is ending, Thanos Rising mini is over, Mad is done with his Savage Wolverine arc ( though Jocks' mini on it sounds good too), i'm waiting for Buffy and Angel to end soon so i can stop buying those.

Apart from that, my DC buying has been demolished and the Villains' Month will be my decision point as to whether or not to bother with DC anymore. I'll probably still get Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Batman, but Green Lantern and Superman Unchained will be judged before then. I gave GLC and New Guardians one issue from dcbs to give them a chance, i hope they're good enough to sway me one way or the other considering Green Lantern is having a one month six or so book crossover in October that i will most likely skip if these things aren't amazing, especially the 3 issues of the main GL book i have pre-ordered. But you can't drop DC so you are out of luck Xo

Veelk

Banned
It sounds like you're asking for less imagination from your comics? Yes they could have been balacava'd thugs but... that would have been really boring. So instead we get a glimpse of an idiosyncratic and weird little commune of dinosaur people under metropolis ("Long have we feared and admired you, Superman" is one of my favourite lines ever, I love the humility in it :p). It's fantastical and whimsical and sweet.

Really? That's a pretty generic line. I hear it all the time with characters, not even from a different culture, who equate fear with respect. It's really not very unique at all.

Anyway, the way that Morrison uses imagination shouldn't be praised. Just throwing random "awesome" things in a story is the easiest thing in the world. It doesn't have to make sense or be developed or even serve a purpose. I can think up a dozen other things like this to replace the dinosaur people off the top of my head. Kung-fu 8 armed, 4 legged space aliens, Jazz playing robots that produce music that make your head explode. Mutant sharks that fly at the speed of sound. It's completely arbitrary because there are no limits of what they can be. I can do it, you can do it. Making them purposeful and sensible within the world is the trick to making these ideas work. Just throwing them out like Morrison does isn't worthwhile and distracting to the real story going on. If he's not going to give them the proper development, I'd rather it just be ordinary thugs that don't require exploration.

Okay, this Remender run on Cap is the best I've ever read for the character, even better than the Brubaker stuff. The end of issue #5 is godly. I'm hooked.

Vibranium

Banned
Okay, this Remender run on Cap is the best I've ever read for the character, even better than the Brubaker stuff. The end of issue #5 is godly. I'm hooked.

Wait until #8 my friend, it gets even better. JRJR just shot up my list of artists because of this series, I still don't like how he draws kids but everything else is mint for Remender's style of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom