• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Wanderer5

Highly recommend reading the Black Glove arc, or atleast the Batman & Son portion before rereading RIP. It sets up everything very nicely and gives you so much more perspective.

Had no idea they did a Deluxe edition for that arc, need to buy it asap!

I did read Batman & Son, but I should throw that on the reread list too lol.

Also, not part of Grant Morrison's Batman saga, but I should probably really check out The Black Mirror sometime, since it sounds like it is a really great story with Dick as Bats.

VanWinkle

I did read Batman & Son, but I should throw that on the reread list too lol.

Also, not part of Grant Morrison's Batman saga, but I should probably really check out The Black Mirror sometime, since it sounds like it is a really great story with Dick as Bats.

Black Mirror is truly fantastic.

Wanderer5

Black Mirror is truly fantastic.

This was when Snyder started working on Batman right? Already checked out Gates of Gotham, which was good.

Edit: Oh a side note, I still really dig that unused futuristic look for the Architect.

unused___modern___achitect_by_trevormc112-d3kfvea.jpg

SArcher

Banned
I enjoying the first volume of Batman & Robin a lot, but maybe I should least re-read Batman RIP again lol, which I can read at my public library. Still haven't read the Black Glove arc either.

I remember reading Batman RIP years ago and being like wtf. I've heard reading the Black Casebook really helps with understanding Morrison's run. Maybe I should pick that up and give Morrison's Batman another try.

I like Laura as Wolverine, but Old Man Logan is a piss poor copy.

To treat OML as a copy is a disservice to both. Old Man is just a Logan that has been so beaten down due to doing unquestionably horrible things that he deems irredeemable. So he gets a fresh start, puts in all the possible work to maintain that life and has it brutally ripped away. AGAIN. And then tries to rebuild and has it taken away AGAIN.

He's so beaten, so broken, that he absolutely gives no fucks. He doesn't care. 616 Logan had a very different arc.
The current arc of Nightwing was a nice return to Grayson's time as a Spyral agent.

Like I've been saying: Seeley's run is basically a sequel to everything Dick. From his time as Batman to Agent 37. Seeley has basically created a sequel run while attempting to bring it back to the roots Dixon established. It's really great.
That's an actual thing DC signed off on. I know Percy loved it.

BC: Medusa to go from sleeping with Black Bolt, Johnny etc to sleeping with Gorgon in Legacy.

Jesus christ just be done with this.

Conan-san

Picked up Justice Leauge / Power Rangers and in the wake of the whole Sonic thing and the whole Secret Empire thing I just sort of forgot that Comics could be fun like this.

Though I did pick up that Superman three parter which is the Kents doing an Indipendance Day road trip and that was nice.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
To treat OML as a copy is a disservice to both. Old Man is just a Logan that has been so beaten down due to doing unquestionably horrible things that he deems irredeemable. So he gets a fresh start, puts in all the possible work to maintain that life and has it brutally ripped away. AGAIN. And then tries to rebuild and has it taken away AGAIN.

He's so beaten, so broken, that he absolutely gives no fucks. He doesn't care. 616 Logan had a very different arc.

Did he? Because what you've said has happened to 616 Logan too.

OML is just a boring version of Logan

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am always disgusted when I see Wolverine cutting beef with his claws. Espescially when he stabbed people earlier in the story.
All these bacterias 🤢

I am always disgusted when I see Wolverine cutting beef with his claws. Espescially when he stabbed people earlier in the story.
All these bacterias 🤢
Could be worse. Once he cut some people up, grabbed a sausage and cut it into pieces, stabbed someone and then picked up the sausage pieces and started eating.

Aizo

Banned
I caught up with All New Wolverine again and read the Generations issue. I love Laura, so I wanna see what's going on with her, but this is just another series that plays it too safe. It's not very interesting. Gabby is fun, though. I can't decide if I wanna drop it.

I really liked in Generations, the heart to heart at the end between Laura and Logan ;_; I'm a sucker.

Aizo

Banned
Are you guys as excited as I am to see how my Book arrangements will be when I got my new shelf next week?
I'm positive that you are more excited for that than anyone else in here, since it's your stuff. I'd like to see it, though! :D

Owzers

New shelves are always fun to see.

Lies, horrible lies. I'm moving next week, listen to me everyone, physical comics were a mistake. You think absolute editions are your friends but they aren't. Stack six on top each other and they weight down your soul.

Speaking of comics and things you regret later, what are the best new Image books of the last five or so months? Anything that gets people talking outside of Metal and Legacy variant covers?

What's this grrl scouts book?

Lies, horrible lies. I'm moving next week, listen to me everyone, physical comics were a mistake. You think absolute editions are your friends but they aren't. Stack six on top each other and they weigh down your soul.

Speaking of comics and things you regret later, what are the best new Image books of the last five or so months? Anything that gets people talking outside of Metal and Legacy variant covers?

Scales & Scoundrels that started this week was pretty good IMO, if a tad webcomicky.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I got asked out by a girl if I want to go out dancing tonight and, the big idiot I am, I noped out ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Silly me, but the imagination of me moving around like a robot, while everyone else getting drunk, dancing and having a nice time made me afraid 🙈

I am an idiot.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I got asked out by a girl if I want to go out dancing tonight and, the big idiot I am, I noped out ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Silly me, but the imagination of me moving around like a robot, while everyone else getting drunk, dancing and having a nice time made me afraid <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:50% 45.833333333333336%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f648"></span></span>

I am an idiot.

Should've went man, just told her you're a bad dancer and danced anyway

Owzers

reading digital comics is fine but buying them feels like I just bought dlc horse armor. We need more MU services and watch the industry thrive on $5 a month.

Vyer

I just read through all of 52 for the first time. The collected editions had 'notes' from each week from the creators.

Man, it really seemed like there was a lot of drama behind the scenes there. A whole lot of passive aggressive or coded swipes and jabs here and there. I was kind of surprised at how much of a peek behind the curtain those little notes gave. Though it did seem like for the most part a lot of respect between the writers.

I got asked out by a girl if I want to go out dancing tonight and, the big idiot I am, I noped out ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Silly me, but the imagination of me moving around like a robot, while everyone else getting drunk, dancing and having a nice time made me afraid &#55357;&#56904;

I am an idiot.

If there's anything my old man years have taught me, it's that the reality of how much people give a shit what you are doing in a big group setting is rarely anywhere near what we worry it will be like in our heads.

She obviously wants to spend time with you. Joke about being a bad dancer, care only about the time you are having with her, and fuck everything else.

Finished Valerian v3 (Books 6,7 and 8) and I am in love with this series. Christin and Mezieres have gotten into a great balance and are telling a wide variety of stories with widely different pacing. From a quick action sequence to a greek myth type quest to an intricate Babylon 5 type of story. Cannot wait for the other volumes.

Plan to start on Delisle's Hostage next.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

How is that comic? It had me curious.

Eh...it was okay I guess. Not much story in this one. It was mostly just introducing the main character and she didn't exactly blow me away. I'll give it another issue or two but it's far from a sure thing that I stick with it. The art is nice.

Really liking the new Walking Dead character so far. The book needed some new blood because its been boring as shit lately.

Loved her. The book really needed someone like Princess.

Finished Valerian v3 (Books 6,7 and 8) and I am in love with this series. Christin and Mezieres have gotten into a great balance and are telling a wide variety of stories with widely different pacing. From a quick action sequence to a greek myth type quest to an intricate Babylon 5 type of story. Cannot wait for the other volumes.

Plan to start on Delisle's Hostage next.

Funny you say that, I just read Hostage the other night.

Very, very good. I've never read anything by Delisle, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. But it's a really gripping story even if it's not necessarily action packed or anything. The pacing was great. I definitely want to dive more into his other works later on.

I just read through all of 52 for the first time. The collected editions had 'notes' from each week from the creators.

Man, it really seemed like there was a lot of drama behind the scenes there. A whole lot of passive aggressive or coded swipes and jabs here and there. I was kind of surprised at how much of a peek behind the curtain those little notes gave. Though it did seem like for the most part a lot of respect between the writers.

Which of the editions did you read?

Vic_Viper

This was when Snyder started working on Batman right? Already checked out Gates of Gotham, which was good.

Yeah, and arguably one of his best works in the business. Plus one of the best Batman stories ever. Really feels like a classic detective style Batman storyline.

Kinda love that fans are already bringing up Superboy/man Prime again due to the Oz Effect preview showing
Oz immune to kryptonite.

reading digital comics is fine but buying them feels like I just bought dlc horse armor. We need more MU services and watch the industry thrive on $5 a month.

Sillymonkey pls. We all know Marvel is too greedy to take $5.

Loved her. The book really needed someone like Princess.

I think it's because the book has been pretty much almost exclusively gloom and doom for 170 issues, Kirkman finally realiazed that introducing a little fun won't hurt anything.

Did he? Because what you've said has happened to 616 Logan too.

OML is just a boring version of Logan
616 Logan didn't murder all of the X-Men, wander a bleak world where villains had taken over, married a woman and had children, started a farm that he could barely for, and then go across the entire country just to watch his only friend die, fly all the way back to his home and find his family's corpses. He then killed the Hulk clan, adopted their kid, and then his entire damn timeline was ripped away. Again, losing his friends and anyone he could barely call family.

If 616 Logan had the same arc, then one of us has been reading very different books.

Kinda love that fans are already bringing up Superboy/man Prime again due to the Oz Effect preview showing
Oz immune to kryptonite.

I want it to be Prime...if only because I came to his character kinda late and found it funny at how - predictably - so many fans didn't get what he was meant to be a pastiche of. Also after Retcon Punch he's so built for sorting out continuity why not embrace it :p

I want it to be Prime...if only because I came to his character kinda late and found it funny at how - predictably - so many fans didn't get what he was meant to be a pastiche of. Also after Retcon Punch he's so built for sorting out continuity why not embrace it :p

I'm betting on him coming back at some point in the next years at least. A bad Superman/boy is too good to just throw in the garbage.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Man, it really seemed like there was a lot of drama behind the scenes there. A whole lot of passive aggressive or coded swipes and jabs here and there. I was kind of surprised at how much of a peek behind the curtain those little notes gave. Though it did seem like for the most part a lot of respect between the writer.
Huh ? Reread it recently (it's pretty good) and the only diss I remember in those notes is Rucka going on an artist for giving Steel's niece Natasha a open cleavage in a scene where she's doing soldering. The rest was just of the "heh we messed up here or there" type of thing to me. Though I'd be interested in an other example, might have missed something for sure. Too bad Morrison didn't contribute to those extras.

Vyer

Which of the editions did you read?

I read the part 1 omnibus, and then v.3 and v.4 of the collections

Huh ? Reread it recently (it's pretty good) and the only diss I remember in those notes is Rucka going on an artist for giving Steel's niece Natasha a open cleavage in a scene where she's doing soldering. The rest was just of the "heh we messed up here or there" type of thing to me. Though I'd be interested in an other example, might have missed something for sure. Too bad Morrison didn't contribute to those extras.

I'll have to go back for specific examples, but I remember didio doing one, basically defending one of the death decisions and making it sound like he had to step in amid some turmoil. I recall Waid or Rucka coming across a little salty that his story decision was voted down and still considered it a mistake. Waid took a jab at the artist for one issue with a kind of passive aggressive 'apparently I wasn't clear enough in what I wanted here' shot. There was just a bunch of little things that were amusing to read. I mean obviously that was a huge undertaking so it's going to cause some friction here and there but I was just kind of surprised to see glimpses of it out there. I enjoyed reading those notes as much almost as much as I enjoyed the issues. &#128514;

Owzers

Art inconsistencies bother me, characters shouldn't have different looking clothing from one page to the other unless they actually changed clothes.

Top Bottom