• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Every new thread on OT and gaming side convinces me a little more that I need to move away from anime looking avatar...

What comic avatar should I get?

kmfdmpig

Metal at #1, Batman #2 and 3, Secret Empire and Gen: Wolverine take the rest.

Nick will spin this will he?

116 Jean Grey 5 19,150
118 Jean Grey 6 18,629
122 Hulk 9 18,093
129 Iron Fist 6 17,106
131 Generation X 5 16,943
135 Hellblazer 13 16,111
136 Black Bolt 4 16,026
141 Hawkeye 9 14,989
144 Gwenpool 19 14,703
148 Superwoman 13 14,181
149 U.S. Avengers 9 14,070
150 Iceman 4 14,056
151 Royals 6 14,034
160 Silver Surfer 13 13,274
167 Secret Warriors 5 12,507
170 New Super Man 14 12,339
171 Luke Cage 4 12,330

Fucking hell...

I expect NYCC to reveal something for both because something isn't working or the Wednesday Warriors are being dicks and want the same ol' same ol'

Is there any general sense of how much digital would add to these numbers, which I think are physical only?

I know several years ago someone at DC said it was about 10%, but I get the sense that it must be quite a bit higher now. Have we heard any estimates about how much higher though?

Sad to see New Super-Man perform poorly as that's a quality book.

mreddie

Did you see the America numbers?

215 America 6 $3.99 Marvel 9,548

DP Kills Again above 35K because fuck.

Is there any general sense of how much digital would add to these numbers, which I think are physical only?

I know several years ago someone at DC said it was about 10%, but I get the sense that it must be quite a bit higher now. Have we heard any estimates about how much higher though?

Digital sales are still under wraps but yet, the books still get canned because retail.

Sad to see New Super-Man perform poorly as that's a quality book.

Honestly, New Super-Man has been in that band for months now. I think it's gotta be doing pretty respectable digital numbers, or it would've been canceled by now.

Every new thread on OT and gaming side convinces me a little more that I need to move away from anime looking avatar...

fc3.png

I don't know why this stigma exists around anime avatars. Plenty of shitheads out there without them, too.

Something from Doom Patrol. Or maybe Green Lantern considering how much you love Johns!

eGTekOH.png

I don't know why this stigma exists around anime avatars. Plenty of shitheads out there without them, too.

While that is true, anime avatars (on twitter and elsewhere too) are becoming like the undercut of the 1940s for me. Nothing inherently wrong in itself but it seems to be signaling a few things.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I actually meant to post this in the August thread, but I have been super busy, but my first graphic novel, The Gamma Gals, is now available courtesy of Fanbase Press. It actually released August 30th, which is why I meant to mention it in the August thread. I am immensely proud of the book. 150 pages, and 4 years of my life have gone into this book. I am the creator, writer, artist, and letterer of the book (for better or worse :p).

It's existed on my computer screen for so long, but it's been such an amazing feeling to be able to hold it in my hands and flip through the pages, and put it on my bookshelf with my comic collection. I just wanted to share my joy with you all!

Malyse

Gwenpool villain version
I actually meant to post this in the August thread, but I have been super busy, but my first graphic novel, The Gamma Gals, is now available courtesy of Fanbase Press. It actually released August 30th, which is why I meant to mention it in the August thread. I am immensely proud of the book. 150 pages, and 4 years of my life have gone into this book. I am the creator, writer, artist, and letterer of the book (for better or worse :p).

It's existed on my computer screen for so long, but it's been such an amazing feeling to be able to hold it in my hands and flip through the pages, and put it on my bookshelf with my comic collection. I just wanted to share my joy with you all!

I rather like your art style, sir. And I see you are on Comixology

Not everyone who uses an anime avatar is a bad person, but they still like anime so...

There's a pretty high correlation between anime avatars and trash posts. JS.

Sandfox

Metal at #1, Batman #2 and 3, Secret Empire and Gen: Wolverine take the rest.

Nick will spin this will he?

116 Jean Grey 5 19,150
118 Jean Grey 6 18,629
122 Hulk 9 18,093
129 Iron Fist 6 17,106
131 Generation X 5 16,943
135 Hellblazer 13 16,111
136 Black Bolt 4 16,026
141 Hawkeye 9 14,989
144 Gwenpool 19 14,703
148 Superwoman 13 14,181
149 U.S. Avengers 9 14,070
150 Iceman 4 14,056
151 Royals 6 14,034
160 Silver Surfer 13 13,274
167 Secret Warriors 5 12,507
170 New Super Man 14 12,339
171 Luke Cage 4 12,330

Fucking hell...

I expect NYCC to reveal something for both because something isn't working or the Wednesday Warriors are being dicks and want the same ol' same ol'
I could see it going either way with reveals and announcements.

Spencer's default response is thanking the fans and the other creators involved when one of his books ranks high.

Wanderer5

Congrats on having your book released! Your artstyle looks pretty nice.

Those are great numbers, DC is killing the game. It looks like we're down overall though?

In comparison: Secret Empire #1 was 157K. Civil War II #1 was 381K. Rebirth was 235K. Non-event books: Black Panther #1 was 253K, Batman was 280K, Batman: Rebirth was 199K, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man was 224K.

EDIT: Yep. We're down.

Consequently, sales for August 2017, when DC's fall Metal event was just starting and Marvel's fall Legacy event had not yet begun, could not compare. Shipments were down 26% in new comic book units, and overall retail dollars spent on comics, graphic novels, and magazines dropped by nearly 21%.

The period from June to August was down 20.5% against those Rebirth/Civil War II months a year before, the worst three-month year-over-year comparison since September 1997 though November 1997.

I swear sometimes comic sales confuse the hell out of me, Luke Cage who recentlys been a main character in a featured tv series is below gen x, jean grey/iceman solo series and the superwoman series???

EDIT - Maybe Luke Cage fans buying defenders series and can't afford to double dip with marvel prices?

Luke Cage fans are probably reading The Defenders, which is written by Bendis. For all hid faults, Bendis is one of the writers really tied with the current version of the character.

Luke Cage fans are probably reading The Defenders, which is written by Bendis. For all hid faults, Bendis is one of the writers really tied with the current version of the character.
Bendis knows how to write his babies well. I still don't think there's a version of Jessica Jones I like more than Bendis'. Walker and Ewing both do a pretty good job with Luke Cage, though. I haven't read much Iron Fist, and of course there's a ton of good DD writers in addition to Bendis.

Bendis knows how to write his babies well. I still don't think there's a version of Jessica Jones I like more than Bendis'. Walker and Ewing both do a pretty good job with Luke Cage, though. I haven't read much Iron Fist, and of course there's a ton of good DD writers in addition to Bendis.

Ewing and Walker have great takes on Cage, but neither has the name to keep a book afloat.

Iron Fist is very weird, because I feel that Marvel doesn't really have a handle on the character right now. Walker's Iron Fist was a bit too surfer dumb for my tastes. Like, Danny is super basic and somewhat oblivious, but I think Walker made him out to almost be like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

I think the issue is that Danny isn't really all that interesting. His best run is Immortal, which is more about the stuff happening around him than revealing any interesting facets of Danny himself.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Gwenpool villain version

I rather like your art style, sir. And I see you are on Comixology

There's a pretty high correlation between anime avatars and trash posts. JS.

Thank you! I'm always trying to improve and mature as an artist, and I think that by issue 6 of The Gamma Gals, I finally started to really get a handle on what I wanted to do visually with the series, so now I'm looking to refine that visual approach for future volumes.

And yeah, TGG is on Comixology also! I've just been super excited about the physical version. It is literally the fulfillment of a dream I've had since I was a freshman in high school in the 90's!

Congrats on having your book released! Your artstyle looks pretty nice.

Thank you!! I'm taking a break from superhero stuff for my next project, then I'll return to The Gamma Gals once that one wraps up.

Ewing and Walker have great takes on Cage, but neither has the name to keep a book afloat.

Iron Fist is very weird, because I feel that Marvel doesn't really have a handle on the character right now. Walker's Iron Fist was a bit too surfer dumb for my tastes. Like, Danny is super basic and somewhat oblivious, but I think Walker made him out to almost be like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

I think the issue is that Danny isn't really all that interesting. His best run is Immortal, which is more about the stuff happening around him than revealing any interesting facets of Danny himself.

Since they aren't going to have the Spider-Marriage ever again and Jessica x Luke has been a thing for so long they should bring back Danny x Misty for real.

VanWinkle

So I read the four issue The Shade miniseries from 1997, and it was absolutely stupendous. Robinson was an unbelievably good writer during this time period.

kmfdmpig

Those are great numbers, DC is killing the game. It looks like we're down overall though?

In comparison: Secret Empire #1 was 157K. Civil War II #1 was 381K. Rebirth was 235K. Non-event books: Black Panther #1 was 253K, Batman was 280K, Batman: Rebirth was 199K, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man was 224K.

It's hard to gauge how much of that decline is real vs, more people going to digital. I wonder whether publishers prefer digital or paper sales? Digital is lower cost, but digital readers are more likely, I suspect, of waiting for sales, using subscription services, etc..

Sandfox

The gap will shrink by the end of the year.

It's hard to gauge how much of that decline is real vs, more people going to digital. I wonder whether publishers prefer digital or paper sales? Digital is lower cost, but digital readers are more likely, I suspect, of waiting for sales, using subscription services, etc..
I'm sure publishers prefer digital, but I would imagine it's a tiny part of the market at this point.

Messi

I heard they don't care about digital at all.

The gap will shrink by the end of the year.

Doubt it, Rebirth caused the surge last year. Legacy ain't doing that.

Messi

All three. I'm only saying that I see the gap shrinking lol.

That's the bare minimum I'd expect lol

--

Hey guys, does Velvet end clean or is it a cliffhanger. I remember delays being the reason it ended. But I'm curious if it gets wrapped up. I'm reading the HC to finish it.

mreddie

Someone shot a gun near my house and I can't leave because the whole corner including my street is blocked so no food, time to re read Venom.

Did she
really scam JJJ or was she really trying to out Peter Parker?
She scammed his ass. Jessica would never out a superhero. Especially not one she liked. Look at the first arc. She would have never given away that tape. That's Cap's identity and he's a hero. No matter how many issues she has, it's always due to her own self-loathing and fears.

I still need to read Immortal. I liked Walker's take on Danny. Near the end of PM&IF in particular.

VanWinkle

So forgive my ignorance, but can somebody clarify what Generations and Legacy are? Is Generations a series of one-shots that lead into new ongoings under a Legacy banner (like the Rebirth one-shots that lead into the Rebirth ongoings)?

Sandfox

So forgive my ignorance, but can somebody clarify what Generations and Legacy are? Is Generations a series of one-shots that lead into new ongoings under a Legacy banner (like the Rebirth one-shots that lead into the Rebirth ongoings)?

Generations is a series of one-shots in which legacies meet their predecessors and we get story that will have an effect on the stories their ongoings will tell during Legacy.

Legacy is an initiative in which the books will have arcs that pull from the older material. Characters and "artifacts" will also be returning. There will be a one-shot from Aaron and Ribic that will set up some ongoing storylines, set up some of the returns that will happen in other books, and bring back a "Marvel icon".

Basically Legacy is bringing back a lot of classic stuff to seemingly coexist with the newer characters and set up an actual relaunch.

VanWinkle

Generations is a series of one-shots in which legacies meet their predecessors and we get story that will have an effect on the stories their ongoings will tell during Legacy.

Legacy is an initiative in which the books will have arcs that pull from the older material. Characters and "artifacts" will also be returning. There will be a one-shot from Aaron and Ribic that will set up some ongoing storylines, set up some of the returns that will happen in other books, and bring back a "Marvel icon".

Basically Legacy is bringing back a lot of classic stuff to seemingly coexist with the newer characters and set up an actual relaunch.

Thanks. I think I'm understanding. So would you compare it to something like the recent All-New All-Different initiative, but with the theme of bringing back classic elements? Or is it closer to Rebirth, where it's a fresh start for all of the ongoings across the board and a clear vision?

Sandfox

Thanks. I think I'm understanding. So would you compare it to something like the recent All-New All-Different initiative, but with the theme of bringing back classic elements? Or is it closer to Rebirth, where it's a fresh start for all of the ongoings across the board and a clear vision?

There's still a lot we don't know, but I wouldn't compare it to either of them.

I see the Marvel Generations/Legacy marketing & advertising are still making things as clear as mud.

Shit stay safe MrEddie, if anyone asks if your a crips or a blood just tell them your whichever one they are :( (see probably ill advised gang joke made by a white guy living in english suburbia)

So I guess those sales show that Luke Cage fans like Black Panther fans don't want to double dip, especially on two series at Marvel prices

Sandfox

I see the Marvel Generations/Legacy marketing & advertising are still making things as clear as mud.

Shit stay safe MrEddie, if anyone asks if your a crips or a blood just tell them your whichever one they are :( (see probably ill advised gang joke made by a white guy living in english suburbia)

So I guess those sales show that Luke Cage fans like Black Panther fans don't want to double dip, especially on two series at Marvel prices
The problem is that Black Panther can't hold multiple books and Luke can't carry a solo. Price isn't the issue with those books.

Top Bottom