• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

The problem is that Black Panther can't hold multiple books and Luke can't carry a solo. Price isn't the issue with those books.

It's actually a shame about Panther, as both series have been good and I'd say over the run of the two recently the Crew has been the better series.

Hmm why can't Luke carry a solo? If Luke can't then who can apart from the top names (Cap, Iron Man, Spidey) he's got character history, a built up supporting cast, villains, tie in tv series. There is no reason I can see apart from the Defenders series taking sales away why he should be below Jean Grey, Iceman, Black Bolt, Superwoman and even a really shitty Gen X title in sales.

Mindwipe

I swear sometimes comic sales confuse the hell out of me, Luke Cage who recentlys been a main character in a featured tv series is below gen x, jean grey/iceman solo series and the superwoman series???

EDIT - Maybe Luke Cage fans buying defenders series and can't afford to double dip with marvel prices?

It is incredibly well established at this point that film and TV versions do not result in any significant buyers of floppies, because the model for floppies makes them a bad jumping in point.

It probably (though the data we have isn't fantastic) increases trade sales, because people pick up "best of" complete runs for that character.

Marvel's problem is that they don't have a Defenders trade with the TV characters in it. Alias probably sold some trades, and Daredevil has an excellent selection, but Luke doesn't and Iron Fist probably didn't make people flock to the property.

It is incredibly well established at this point that film and TV versions do not result in any significant buyers of floppies, because the model for floppies makes them a bad jumping in point.

It probably (though the data we have isn't fantastic) increases trade sales, because people pick up "best of" complete runs for that character.
Yep. Still sort of surprised that Marvel simply hasn't switched to doing OGNs for MCU characters they know can't carry a book.

Edit: Secret Empire was the second worst selling modern Marvel event, beating only AXIS.

Busiek interview for Creature Of The Night.

Yep. Still sort of surprised that Marvel simply hasn't switched to doing OGNs for MCU characters they know can't carry a book.

Edit: Secret Empire was the second worst selling modern Marvel event, beating only AXIS.

Yeah that really would make sense, to release OGN's for the Defenders and netflix characters around the time of there series releases. Probably with them being short form series they could maybe get a better selection of writers on them and they wouldn't have to worry about continuity too much, they could tie in to the tv series continuity more. Then in those books you advertise the shit out of the mainline continuity series of those characters. Seriously we should be on comission for Marvel here at comic gaf.

Secret Empire from opinions I've read on here through its run (I've only really read up to the beginning of it as I'm a trade waiter) hasn't been the best recieved series, but I doubt event fatigue, adding extra issues and marvel over pricing have helped its sales much. Also pretty much since early into the event Marvel seemed quite happy to leave it out there to die and focus all its promo, interviews and advertising on Generations/Legacy.

kmfdmpig

Someone shot a gun near my house and I can't leave because the whole corner including my street is blocked so no food, time to re read Venom.

I saw your thread about it. That's crazy. I also didn't realize that anyone else in this thread lived in PHX. Small world.

Vic_Viper

This would totally make sense for Marvel, but I doubt the sales would warrant it. After Axis, Remender did an awesome Ultron book that was released as an OGN around the same time as the Bendis Ultron event.

Yeah Axis was bad lol but I dont think it was originally planned as an event until Marvel decided to turn it into one. Age of Ultron though was so much worse imo. Marvel should have just left Remender alone after the success of his Uncanny X-Force run. Axis would have just been the final arc of Uncanny Avengers, which then lead could have lead into Rage of Ultron. I get why they would choose Bendis of Remender to do their Ultron event before Avengers 2 (the movie) came out, but IMO they choose wrong.

Does anyone have the 10.5 iPad Pro? Is there less black border on the sides of cmx issues?

The aspect ratio of all iPad screens is the same (just the dimensions and resolution change), so the borders stay basically the same. The actual bezel on the 10.5" pro is significantly smaller than the old iPad though, so it "feels" like there is less border around the screen, if nothing else.

Shame. That one is called shame. :3

Much like you could technically write a tiny program that looks at your Steam Library, checks the games on Howlongtobeat.com as well as how many hours you've put in to them, and give you some sort of "To play through your current game library, you'd need ____ hours, so you literally cannot finish all of your games before you will die." ....

... i'd love it if Comixology kept track of your average page-per-minute reading speed, and then showed you how long it would take to read through all of the CMX comics you already own but haven't read yet, and if that's even feasibly possible in a human lifetime. I think i'm probably at that tipping point already (and probably well past it in terms of novels on Kindle.)

Sandfox

Now it's time to finally read my Doom Patrol stuff.

Some BC things:

FF's legacy tease in a book coming out tomorrow

Medina maybe drawing Two-In-One

Venom Inc by Stegman for Legacy

Phoenix Resurrection for Legacy by Yu(the trade for that should be out in time for the Dark Phoenix movie, right?)

What was that about cutting back on books?
What we heard from rumors is that cancelled books will less likely be replaced. We already know about a bunch of creators working on secret projects and the only new potential ongoing there is the Venom book.

Adult Jean coming back soon would make a lot of sense given the past few months.

Owzers

The aspect ratio of all iPad screens is the same (just the dimensions and resolution change), so the borders stay basically the same. The actual bezel on the 10.5" pro is significantly smaller than the old iPad though, so it "feels" like there is less border around the screen, if nothing else.

Sigh...I really dislike the borders, they only go away with fit to width or if I bought an iPad Pro 12.9 and read two full pages at once but I don't wanna.

kmfdmpig

Sigh...I really dislike the borders, they only go away with fit to width or if I bought an iPad Pro 12.9 and read two full pages at once but I don't wanna.
That's why I'm stuck with an old tablet for comics... galaxy tab s 10.5 has a perfect aspect ratio for portrait comic pages. unfortunately the tab s2 and tab s3 copied iPad aspect ratio, so there is no clear upgrade path from there although the big ipad pro is tempting.

Owzers

That's why I'm stuck with an old tablet for comics... galaxy tab s 10.5 has a perfect aspect ratio for portrait comic pages. unfortunately the tab s2 and tab s3 copied iPad aspect ratio, so there is no clear upgrade path from there although the big ipad pro is tempting.
That's what I bought awhile ago after my iPad 3 but had problems with the case bending, it was great, especially the screen. I tried one exchange but still had random problems. When the updates went iPad resolution I bought an iPad Air 2 in defeat. It's still nice though despite a hearthstone session in the sun/heat overheating my iPad and discolor got the left side. I kinda want a new tablet now...

Mindwipe

This would totally make sense for Marvel, but I doubt the sales would warrant it. After Axis, Remender did an awesome Ultron book that was released as an OGN around the same time as the Bendis Ultron event.

Yeah Axis was bad lol but I dont think it was originally planned as an event until Marvel decided to turn it into one. Age of Ultron though was so much worse imo. Marvel should have just left Remender alone after the success of his Uncanny X-Force run. Axis would have just been the final arc of Uncanny Avengers, which then lead could have lead into Rage of Ultron. I get why they would choose Bendis of Remender to do their Ultron event before Avengers 2 (the movie) came out, but IMO they choose wrong.

Yeah, I am curious if Rage of Ultron did well or badly. I suspect it didn't do great, otherwise we'd have seen more books like it, but I think that was badly affected by the fact it sounded like a sequel to AoU rather than a standalone.

And anyone who saw Avengers 2 and then went to read Age of Ultron probably swore off comics forever.

VanWinkle

First, the thread is moving by far the slowest it has in at least a year. That is sad.

Second, got the Harley omnibus and it's VERY nice. Great binding, great paper, nice looking.

mreddie

Yeah, I am curious if Rage of Ultron did well or badly. I suspect it didn't do great, otherwise we'd have seen more books like it, but I think that was badly affected by the fact it sounded like a sequel to AoU rather than a standalone.

I think it did...bad.

Comparing HC sales from May 2015

1 Batman Earth One HC Vol. 2 $24.99 DC 16,702
8 Deadpool Vol. 8 All Good Things $24.99 Marvel 4,113
79 Figment HC $24.99 Marvel 1,350
103 Avengers Rage of Ultron Ogn HC $24.99 Marvel 1,131

Top Bottom