• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED : Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Looks good. Rearmed 1 was already an awesome little game, I'll buy this for sure.

I love those old school side scrolling 2D games with updated graphics and sound, give us more!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I know its too early to tell but , one of the main reasons rearmed was soo successfull ( other than being great ofc ) was its pricepoint, 800 allards.

I do however think that theyll price this at 1200 or even 1600, but I hope I'm wrong

Awesome. What's funny is that I'm more excited about the soundtrack then the actual game, the music in Rearmed was so damn good.

The jumping... eh, I guess it's to be expected, there was a lot of whining over the people who didn't get it in the original Rearmed, and as long as they're little jumps like that, they won't replace the function of the arm.

Made by ex-Grin people? Fantastic. Can't wait for this.

Red

Suzzopher said:
Jump button :( Then it isn't Bionic Commando anymore :(
Surely you jest.

This isn't like demolishing the save system in Dead Rising. Watch the trailer; platforming is essentially the same. If anything, some sections will be tougher now, necessitating an extra action to make it across wider gaps. Plus many small frustrations will be eliminated by foregoing the need to grapple over six inch debris in your path.

Crunched said:
Surely you jest.

This isn't like demolishing the save system in Dead Rising. Watch the trailer; platforming is essentially the same. If anything, some sections will be tougher now, necessitating an extra action to make it across wider gaps. Plus many small frustrations will be eliminated by foregoing the need to grapple over six inch debris in your path.

Bionic Commando isn't really Bionic Commando if you don't have to use the grappling hook to get over barrels in front of you. People who don't like grappling should just stay away from the series, grappling should be the whole point and adding jumping dilutes the game's focus and makes it much more generic. It's really too bad that they put it in.

You're right that there are some potential interesting uses, such as for making it harder by forcing you to jump to grapple points, but the downsides are much more significant than the benefits, I think.

Red

A Black Falcon said:
Bionic Commando isn't really Bionic Commando if you don't have to use the grappling hook to get over barrels in front of you. People who don't like grappling should just stay away from the series, grappling should be the whole point and adding jumping dilutes the game's focus and makes it much more generic. It's really too bad that they put it in.

You're right that there are some potential interesting uses, such as for making it harder by forcing you to jump to grapple points, but the downsides are much more significant than the benefits, I think.
I disagree, especially considering how grapple-focused the teaser is. If jumping played a larger role, or if it appeared that the character could jump more than a half foot from the ground, then I'd agree with you. I was never a fan of the superfluous grappling to get over small objects, though; I thought it was a pretty boring way to introduce simple mechanical work for the player. The overall platforming sections in BC have always been good, but those littles environmental hitches never worked for me.

eso76

Would have preferred a proper mt framework sequel to the 3d bionic commando.
That game had a huge potential, it just needed (a lot of) polish and better art direction.

That or a 2D HD sprite based Bionic Commando which resembled the arcade game.

duckroll

kassatsu said:
If you look at the linkedin page you will see these guys share a lot if team members from grin. Lead 3d artist, etc.

Lead and Gold their PC/PSN/XBLA western shooter looks good too. It is out this week on psn.

The only guy at Fat Shark who seems to have had a major role in BCR is Arvid Nilsson, the lead 3D designer and level designer. All the other leads are probably at Might and Delight.

-Winnie-

Uh... I dunno if it's the same engine, but it doesn't seem to look as nice as Rearmed 1. The 2 on the logo is horrendous as well.

Not too impressed at this point, but hopefully it'll be good.

I love the new trailer, but I bet there is a lot of resistance to the jumping in the game.
Was that not the entire reason the game is different to any other platformer, you can not jump.....

Anyway I do not care I love the first rearmed and I'm going to get RA2! :)

pmj

-Winnie- said:
Uh... I dunno if it's the same engine, but it doesn't seem to look as nice as Rearmed 1. The 2 on the logo is horrendous as well.

Not too impressed at this point, but hopefully it'll be good.
I doubt it's going to look any worse than the original Rearmed as it's most likely using the same engine and same assets for Spencer. The backgrounds in the trailer looks to be easily on par with the best of the first Rearmed.

As for the trailer, after the ridiculously good trailers for the original Rearmed, I was expecting more.

Still, I'm sure it'll be great and I'm 72% excited.

Zen

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
I love the new trailer, but I bet there is a lot of resistance to the jumping in the game.
Was that not the entire reason the game is different to any other platformer, you can not jump.....

Anyway I do not care I love the first rearmed and I'm going to get RA2! :)

Well the jump in this looks like less of a real jump, and more of a jump ability you can use to reach slightly out of reach platforms with the grapple arm. Spencer isn't going to be making appearances in the mushroom kingdom anytime soon.

I think it will help add a greater sense of control over Spencer without actually altering the gameplay that much.

Aaron

duckroll said:
The only guy at Fat Shark who seems to have had a major role in BCR is Arvid Nilsson, the lead 3D designer and level designer. All the other leads are probably at Might and Delight.
Though not a part of GRIN, they were closely connected to them. Lead and Gold uses the engine developed by GRIN.

Denzar

Have never finished ReArmed and was not bothered by the lack of a jump option.

But,

Bionic Commando ReArmed 2?

Fuck YEAH

oh shit, I totally glossed over this thread. Rearmed was excellent.

I'm happy they let you jump now and are treating it like a brand new game.

Jex

Hell yes!

Wait, jumping, what?

But seriously, adding jumping to the original game would have been stupid.

But as this isn't the original game they can design the platforming around this ability so it shouldn't be a problem (foolish optimism)

yurinka

theultimo said:
Rearmed 2 and MVC3?

Capcom is THE FUCKING AWESOME #1 EVER!!!
Fixed
duckroll said:
Simon Viklund was in Final Fight Double Awesome.
Let's hope he's in BCR2, too. BCR has maybe the best OST of this gen.

Xater

Looks like they are bringing some of the gameplay from Bionic Conmando 3D over. Well at least there is jumping and the ground stomp. I would have liked a more traditional sequel but this could also be awesome.

Top Bottom