• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED : Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

I thought Rearmed was awesome, so this is great news. Unfortunately, I still haven't beaten the last level of Rearmed. I need to channel my inner 8 year old to beat the vanishing platforms part.

Spookie

He can jump?

HOLY SHIT THE NEXT GEN IS HERE!

Seriously though the first one was dull as dish water. Fuck nostalgia!

rhino4evr

As a diehard BC fan I find the addition of a jump button insulting to the franchise. If he can jump, I hope it's a weak jump that will only get you over minor obstacles. Part of what make the series fun and unique Is traversing the levels with only your arm. Jumping is for the weak and lazy

I have faith they can pull it together, but I'm still skeptical.

CamHostage

rhino4evr said:
As a diehard BC fan I find the addition of a jump button insulting to the franchise. If he can jump, I hope it's a weak jump that will only get you over minor obstacles. Part of what make the series fun and unique Is traversing the levels with only your arm. Jumping is for the weak and lazy .

Watch the video, it's a weak jump.

Seems almost like they put it in because so many people went, "WTF, I can't jump?" It doesn't do a lot, but if it appeases some complaints and helps the series live on for years to come, let him jump.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeea BOI!

I loved the first one. I'm shocked that jump was added SHOCKED!

GillianSeed79 said:
I thought Rearmed was awesome, so this is great news. Unfortunately, I still haven't beaten the last level of Rearmed. I need to channel my inner 8 year old to beat the vanishing platforms part.

:lol

same here, we on the same boat.

duckroll

Do we know if the jump is actually part of the game's mechanics, or if it is one of the upgrades? If it's a part of say a boots upgrade which allows a single vertical jump which acts as a boost instead of a jump in the traditional sense, then there should be no problem at all.

onken

duckroll said:
Do we know if the jump is actually part of the game's mechanics, or if it is one of the upgrades? If it's a part of say a boots upgrade which allows a single vertical jump which acts as a boost instead of a jump in the traditional sense, then there should be no problem at all.

Look at 25s on the youtube trailer, looks like a regular jump.

MoFuzz

Trailer was promising, but as with others here, I'm not sure about the jumping mechanic. It was never needed in the past, but could add extra depth if implemented well. We'll have to wait and see!

No PC version is bollocks, though this is Capcom we're talking about, so it'll probably come 6 months late with little fanfare.

Enk

makes good threads.
Stumpokapow said:
PSX STRIDER 2 38,188

i wonder why

Not really something to go by. Strider 2 came near the end of PSX's life cycle and also during the time when 2d games were shunned by most companies. Also how many sales did Bionic Commando have in the PSX era in comparison? I thought so.

MoFuzz

Princess Skittles said:
To Western developers, "physics" usually just means having boxes and bodies tumbling around unnaturally using Havok.
I thought Trine was a recent title that demonstrated good physics based puzzles in a side-scrolling platformer. It can be done!

duckroll

Enk said:
Not really something to go by. Strider 2 came near the end of PSX's life cycle and also during the time when 2d games were shunned by most companies. Also how many sales did Bionic Commando have in the PSX era in comparison? I thought so.

I don't think that argument flies. In Japan at least, in the year 2000 Rockman X5 (PS1) sold 123k and Rockman X Cyber Mission (GBC) sold 64k. Strider 2 was released early in the same year, and doesn't even chart on the Top300 sales list for that year in Japan. The 300th game sold 33k.

Not saying a new remake now cannot be successful, but I'm pointing out that unlike Bionic Commando, they DID try a modern Strider sequel at some point, and it totally flopped. Strider 2 got an arcade release the year before that too. No one cared either unfortunately.

rhino4evr

Off topic: strider 2 was terrible. So if they make a 3rd game they better figure out how to make it correctly. The NES game was awesome, and under rated compared to it's 16 bit older brother

Wizpig

I AM JOHN! said:
SIMON VIKLUND CONFIRMED, MOTHEREFFERS! GAME OF THE YEAR 2011, HERE WE COME!

I hope. :(
Yes, this.
I would have said "no buy" when I read about the different artwork artist, but damn it, simon viklund? day-one, fellas.

Also I loved both BCR and BC 2009, so I'm happy to see the BC 2009 moves in this.
But the jump? we'll see how it works here.
What else to say? Spencer's hair looks weird in the trailer.

Please, BC 2009 sequel too, Capcom :'(
VsRobot said:
You can keep your fucking jump button, assholes. :mad: Rad doesn't need to fucking jump, he has a fucking wire for world traversal. You know what game had jumping? The PS3/360 Bionic Commando.

#fuckthisshit
Maybe there will be an Achievement if you complete the game without jumping.

Oh and

DidYouKnowThat...
Viklund also made the remixed OST for the new Final Fight & Magic Sword XBLA?

Calcaneus

I literally gasped when they showed the jump.

Have no idea how it would work, but that is changing something that made BC a unique platformer. Hope it works out well, I have faith.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Calcaneus said:
I literally gasped when they showed the jump.

Have no idea how it would work, but that is changing something that made BC a unique platformer. Hope it works out well, I have faith.

Im sure i'll day one this anyways, but im a little leery about putting a jump in this game. It would be like making a new Super Mario game without a jump...

orbot

Neo Member
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet:

What's with the bland music in the teaser trailer? I mean, shouldn't it be the same style of music as in the first game, since that music became such a hit?

Also, the "2" in the logo is butt ugly.

Tokubetsu

Was hoping this would be a BC 2009 sequel but oh well. I guess I can live with this. We'll see if jumping breaks the game.

orbot said:
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet:

What's with the bland music in the teaser trailer? I mean, shouldn't it be the same style of music as in the first game, since that music became such a hit?

Also, the "2" in the logo is butt ugly.

It's definitely gonna be the same style since it's the same dude working on it.

Himuro said:
What makes BC unique to other platformers is that you CAN'T jump.

Why would they add a jump?

I'm still excited, but still.
I feel the exact same way. Very weird choice. It's not like the lack of a jump button stopped anyone from buying BCR1.

ArjanN

Blu_LED said:
I feel the exact same way. Very weird choice. It's not like the lack of a jump button stopped anyone from buying BCR1.

I saw a lot of bitching about the lack of a jump button in the first game.

From what I've seen the added jumping isn't really a big deal, it was kind of annoying having barrels or some knee-high object slopping you cold in the first game and it doesn't look like you can jump high or far enough to replace the grappling arm for actual platforming purposes.

Himuro said:
What makes BC unique to other platformers is that you CAN'T jump

IMO what made it unique was that you had a grappling gun arm.

Bionicsix.jpg

Zen

Banned
duckroll said:

Looks like a regular jump and I approve.

Totally hyped.

As a longtime BC fan, I don't find the jump capability to be worrying at all. They'll just engineer all the harder platforming challenges so that the only way to make the initial jumps and grapples is to jump first. Big deal. It certainly wasn't a problem in BC2009. Despite what most people think about the game (which is what they've read and not played in most cases), the jumping and swinging mechanics worked great.

GWX

Instro said:
So is no PC release confirmed, or have they just not said yet? Cause that would piss me off.

Nothing announced for now. Just like SSFIV and MvC3.
Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 is confirmed, but the latter is coming later this year.

I hope they confirm it. I'm REALLY looking forward for 2 games announced today + SSFIV, but if there's no PC version, no deal.

EDIT: Also, Fatshark is developing the game and is (probably) using Diesel Engine, AND THEY JUST RELEASED A GAME RUNNING IN THE SAME ENGINE ON PC, LEAD AND GOLD.

I don't know if anyone has realized this, but M&D is a very small company I think with much less than a dozen employees right now. It's worth noting that Fatshark has more BCR1 team members than M&D does. But, I do think we'll be seeing some amazing stuff out of M&D in the future.

HYDE

Banned
Off topic, I hope we will be having this discussion about the addition of a jump button when Zelda Wii is shown at E3. I hate the automatic jump button in Zelda, Link's Awakening FTW.
Bring back something related to Roc; cape, or feather.

On topic, I think the jump button for Bionic Commando will only make it better. Think about other games where you combine jumping and grappling, it's usually for the best. Super Metroid comes to mind.

duckroll

chun li's thighs said:
I don't know if anyone has realized this, but M&D is a very small company I think with much less than a dozen employees right now. It's worth noting that Fatshark has more BCR1 team members than M&D does. But, I do think we'll be seeing some amazing stuff out of M&D in the future.

Who's at Fatshark and who's at Might and Delight? It would be interesting to see the breakdown.

Top Bottom