• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED : Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Karram said:
I thought its BC2 not Rearmed :( . I'll probably try the first one when its on sale or something.

The first one is on sale, all the time. Most games of its quality and quantity of content sell at the $15 mark, but they priced it at $10 because they're awesome like that.

Princess Skittles said:
The first one was awesome thanks to talented developers/designers.

Without them..?
Fatshark is ex-GRIM guys. In fact, considering a lot of the BCR guys went to Fatshark and made Lead and Gold (which is a lot of fun, by the way), they were the best choice.

duckroll said:
The only guy at Fat Shark who seems to have had a major role in BCR is Arvid Nilsson, the lead 3D designer and level designer. All the other leads are probably at Might and Delight.
Oh. Still, based on Lead and Gold, I have serious amounts of faith.

AND OH MY GOD THEY'RE MAKING BIONIC COMMANDO REARMED 2 YOU GUYS THIS IS AWESOwait, why can he jump?

duckroll

I AM JOHN! said:
In fact, considering a lot of the BCR guys went to Fatshark

Who? I could only find one guy who worked on BCR at Fatshark on Linkedin. It'll be nice to know who else there is.

Xater

duckroll said:
Who? I could only find one guy who worked on BCR at Fatshark on Linkedin. It'll be nice to know who else there is.
Yeah I thought most BCR guys are at Might and Delight or whatever they call themselves.

Chairhome

I still need to finish BCR1 :-/ I kept dying at the end and it discouraged me from beating it (I did beat the original NES one back in the day though!).

I like in the trailer how it went back and slowed down the jumping, haha. "Look, you can jump now, you complaining babies"

Ehn, I'll try it. Had low expectations regardless of who made it, because let's face it - this time they don't get to crib off of one of the best action games ever made.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Segata Sanshiro said:
this time they don't get to crib off of one of the best action games ever made.
The added final level of BC:R showed just how amazing a new game based on the original's mechanics could be (under good designers).

Princess Skittles said:
The added final level of BC:R showed just how amazing a new game based on the original's mechanics could be (under good designers).
Yep, they made one whole level themselves. Pat on the back and all that rot.

Yeah, Duck's right. Strange, since I thought there was more of a GRIN exodus into Fatshark, but I guess not since now that I think about it, Lead and Gold was started before Bionic Commando came out. I wonder if maybe Might and Delight just didn't have the team or the resources to start a BCR2 whenever it was started. Then again, I'm kind of more surprised that Capcom isn't trying to just bury the Bionic Commando name and never speak of it again after what happened to BC...

Still, though, I want to believe, if only because Bionic Commando: Rearmed is one of my favorite games of this generation. It's not to say that not having the main guys behind the game doesn't matter, but considering the engine is there and the framework for how the game needs to play is already down (though adding jumping... could this be more Capcom meddling like was rumored to have gone on a lot behind the scenes of the big boy BC?), I feel like these guys can still put out a fantastic game even if they weren't the main guys behind the game... not to mention that having the level designer is no slouch either. The fact that Lead and Gold is really good doesn't hurt much either.

They really need to get Simon Viklund up in this B, though.

duckroll said:
BCR4 - Backbone
:mad:

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yep, they made one whole level themselves. Pat on the back and all that rot.
The game used the original as a base and a lot of things were changed/improved and they were all GREAT. BC:R wasn't some hack job that just redid the original game with a new coat of paint (or a shitty graphics filter). They tweaked the way it played, they changed/added bosses where there really wasn't much there to brag about in the original. They added levels where there weren't any (not only the Albatross but the shortcut tunnels), they added items, etc. Not to mention the Challenge Rooms, the multi-player mode and co-op.

Please stop pretending that the game was only good because the original was good. That can't be farther from the truth.

Princess Skittles said:
The game used the original as a base and a lot of things were changed/improved and they were all GREAT. BC:R wasn't some hack job that just redid the original game with a new coat of paint (or a shitty graphics filter). They tweaked the way it played, they changed/added bosses where there really wasn't much there to brag about in the original. They added levels where there weren't any (not only the Albatross but the shortcut tunnels), they added items, etc. Not to mention the Challenge Rooms, the multi-player mode and co-op.

Please stop pretending that the game was only good because the original was good. That can't be farther from the truth.
Tell me what the game would be without the original game. Nothing, that's what. They did a nice job gussying it up, I'll give you that, but it doesn't mean they can make a whole good game on their own, as every other fucking GRIN game ever made proved.

duckroll

Princess Skittles said:

I don't think he's saying that at all. The fact is there is a big difference between enhancing and improving an already good game when you remake it, retaining the same mechanics, etc, and making a brand new game from scratch. A team can be good at understanding the core mechanics of a good game and what makes it good, and using that to build a solid game using the ideas as a base. That same team could very well be unable to generate original content which is as creative or well executed as the ones they used as a template in a remake.

It's not hard concept to grasp, and until we have BCR2 in our hands and it is a great game, it's still something that's up for debate. Since this isn't even the same team, well, that makes the stakes significantly different too.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Segata Sanshiro said:
Tell me what the game would be without the original game. Nothing, that's what. They did a nice job gussying it up, I'll give you that, but it doesn't mean they can make a whole good game on their own, as every other fucking GRIN game ever made proved.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the team at GRIN that made BC:R was separate from the team that made their bevy of third person shooters.

duckroll said:
I don't think he's saying that at all. The fact is there is a big difference between enhancing and improving an already good game when you remake it, retaining the same mechanics, etc, and making a brand new game from scratch. A team can be good at understanding the core mechanics of a good game and what makes it good, and using that to build a solid game using the ideas as a base. That same team could very well be unable to generate original content which is as creative or well executed as the ones they used as a template in a remake.

It's not hard concept to grasp, and until we have BCR2 in our hands and it is a great game, it's still something that's up for debate. Since this isn't even the same team, well, that makes the stakes significantly different too.
Again, look at the Albatross level. Sure it's just one level, but it's enough to show that they (at least the original team) had the chops to do more with it than what was there in the original template.

But yes, I've pointed it out already, but the new team makes it all a question mark.

There's a joke to be made about jumping and shooting oneself in the foot (and being an expert about Bionic Commando culture), but I'm too excited about this to even try it. :D Awesome news, my day just got 300% better. Day one. Please have online co-op.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Bionic Commando Rearmed was awesome. How about Code Name Viper Rearmed as well :)
Is... is this love that I'm feeling?

It's not up on the Unity blog yet, but Official Youtube HD version.

So the video refers to itself as the "Launch Trailer," and "Coming Soon" at the end of the trailer. Is this heading toward a sneak launch?

duckroll said:
I can see it now:

BCR - GRIN
BCR2 - Fatshark
BCR3 - Might and Delight
BCR4 - Backbone

You don't even JOKE about such a thing.

Unity Post and PR up:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2010/04/20/captivate_2010:_bionic_commando_rearmed_2

Trailer

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 brings loads of new weapons and attacks, new mechanics, new puzzles, better co-op, and... jumping?

Release Date: Q1 2011
Genre: Platforming
Platform: PSN, XBLA
Rating: Pending
Developer: Fat Shark
Publisher: Capcom
Price: TBD

Capcom unveils the next evolution in 3D side-scrolling action with Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. Nathan Spencer returns as the daring elite soldier equipped with special bionic abilities. Spencer will have to face his greatest challenge yet as General Sabio, a new technologically sophisticated foe, is on the brink of launching a deadly missile attack.

Nathan Spencer will make use of his trademark tool – his bionic grappling hook – to grab, swing and leap through series of lush new environments. He’ll be met by plenty of gun-toting soldiers and mechanized threats ready to give him a hostile greeting. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 improves upon the visual achievements of its predecessor with the addition of more detailed character models, textures, and vibrant colors. New player mechanics will add another strategic layer of platforming to the overall experience and the famous bionic arm will be getting a major makeover delivering a more dynamic bionic experience to the player.

Key features:
Sequel to the popular downloadable title on PSN and Xbox LIVE, Bionic Commando Rearmed

New Weapons, attacks and enhancements for the the all-purpose Bionic Arm

New platforming mechanics provides more freedom and challenges. Now the impossible is within your “leap!”

New physics-based puzzles will take the platforming experience to another level

2-player co-op is back and better than ever.

Enhanced graphics and better camera functionality.

All new musical score inspired by NES-era sound effects, produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack

Cut-scene art designed by cutting-edge art studio Massive Black, whose previously worked on Infamous, Bioshock 2 and,God of War III

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
physics-based puzzles
Gross.
better camera functionality

Wait. What?
All new musical score inspired by NES-era sound effects, produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack

Yes.
Cut-scene art designed by cutting-edge art studio Massive Black, whose previously worked on Infamous, Bioshock 2 and,God of War III
Get Shinkiro back. :\
Release Date: Q1 2011
vadernooooo.jpg

zoukka

Didn't really like REarmed. Bland level design. Weird bloom effect everywhere too.

I hope they really concentrate on making the levels varied and interesting.

Princess Skittles said:
Gross.Wait. What?Yes.Get Shinkiro back. :\

That's how your post looks when quoted. :lol

The camera thing confused me too, maybe they meant relating to co-op, because I can't recall ever having a problem with the camera in the original. And the camera in the trailer doesn't look any different.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
jumping....well it looks like it's only there for show, and the arm is still very important. First one was amazing.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kulock said:
The camera thing confused me too, maybe they meant relating to co-op, because I can't recall ever having a problem with the camera in the original. And the camera in the trailer doesn't look any different.
It's 2D. So yeah, seems like a BS bullet-point.

More bullet-points = More better?

Levi

Banned
You can keep your fucking jump button, assholes. :mad: Rad doesn't need to fucking jump, he has a fucking wire for world traversal. You know what game had jumping? The PS3/360 Bionic Commando.

#fuckthisshit

CamHostage

firen said:
Oddly enough the first thing I was excited about was the possibility of Top Secret Podcast coming back. :lol

LOVED that podcast! I sure wish it would a comeback, but given that this isn't a 2-year, multi-million dollar production like the last one, I doubt they'll be able to provide the same support for this downloadable game. Maybe just an episode or two, though, please?

The Dutch Slayer said:
I love the new trailer, but I bet there is a lot of resistance to the jumping in the game.
Was that not the entire reason the game is different to any other platformer, you can not jump.....

Resistance from the fanbase or resistance from Capcom? At Capcom, I bet there was wasn't much fight, seeing as jumping complaints still filled up reviews and customer reports even though it scored high. Fact is, while that aspect is one of the hallmarks of the original game, the arbitrary restrictions it imposed just aren't needed as the series progresses. Having single steps stop the character dead cold without a grapple point is just cheap design (not that I remember BC1 ever doing that) and you don't have the weird challenge of grappling over barrels anymore now that you can throw them. I think a lot of people just feel comfortable with jumping in videogames, and the bottom line is if it makes the game more fun, a developer should do it. Plus, this is just a guess, but I bet there's some master way of getting through the whole game without touching that jump button (unless there's some kind of mega-swing technique.)

Princess Skittles said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the team at GRIN that made BC:R was separate from the team that made their bevy of third person shooters.

As far as I know, it wasn't a separate team, per se. It was all one big GRIN, and in fact Simon Viklund directed BCR as sort of a bonus job while composing music for BC "2". I don't know how many staffers were actually hired on to GRIN just for the BCR project, but I haven't heard of it ever being formed as its own entity. Instead, it was just this little pocket of guys over there who happened to come together for a unique something called Bionic Commando Rearmed, and when the studio went to shit, these guys realized that their little band was important and kept together to form Might and Delight.

Although Fat Shark isn't showing much of a GRIN/BCR connection, I have a feeling there is deeper connection than those worried about this new developer are thinking. The only credits we know on BCR2, in fact, are of the composer being the same, which I'm assuming means Viklund and not some associate of his. So figure the scenario that Viklund is heavily involved in BCR2 (it'd be awesome if he was directing it, from the Top Secret podcast he made it even more clear to me that he's a genius) while the Might and Delight team is busy with the formalities of creating a new studio. (Hopefully they have Viklund, although I did find it eerily worrysome that I didn't see Viklund or anybody else's name in the studio announcement press release, so I dunno exactly who's involved with that.) If all goes well, Capcom has two studios in the business of resurrecting classic games ... and Black Tiger Rearmored is produced?

Simon's LinkedIn profile doesn't list him as being involved in anything since GRIN shut down. Maybe he's gone freelance? Is there a chance he would go "game designer for hire" like Mikami's been doing since Clover shut down?

CamHostage

Zen said:
Well the jump in this looks like less of a real jump, and more of a jump ability you can use to reach slightly out of reach platforms with the grapple arm. Spencer isn't going to be making appearances in the mushroom kingdom anytime soon.

I think it will help add a greater sense of control over Spencer without actually altering the gameplay that much.

Remember that the only moments in BC that jumping was desired was when the floor had a moving electric charge, when the slimes came at you, and when there was a section where the vertical platform was just out of your diagonal range and so you have to grapple up then drop then quickly grapple diagonal... so, assume that electric charges and slimes will still be too high to jump over and you're left with the only time you were ever held back without a jump being those arbitrary vert-to-diagonal swings. That triangle-swing approach was a clever technique to develop stages around in the '80s, but it stopped your forward momentum, it was never exactly a "puzzle", and it served as a negative reminder of the game's two-button limitations. So as far as I can see so far, all jump does in this sequel is eliminate some arbitrary stopgapping from the original concept.

Enk

makes good threads.
Oh geez, simmer down people. If Bionic Commando had a sequel in the 16bit days it would've more than likely have added a jump button too.

Question is how will the control be setup? Would the arm still be the 'A' button (going by 360 pad), jump 'B' and shot 'X' & "Y'?

Not too sure about the physics puzzles. Maybe only if they're done lightly and in a Metroidvania sort of way (get new item, figure out how to use it in this area to get to new area).

Top Bottom