• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker's Big Reunion |OT| Project Spark. Project Spark. Project Spark.

EBE

When did they add that long ass tutorial, anyway? I played the game a few times before, but I never had to go through that before I played it earlier.

a while ago. i assume to help new players who bought this ease their way into content creation. i havent gone through the tutorial myself (its for players under spark level 5, and im 19) so i dont know how obtrusive it is, but the reasoning seems pretty sound. game IS rather complicated.

a while ago. i assume to help new players who bought this ease their way into content creation. i havent gone through the tutorial myself (its for players under spark level 5, and im 19) so i dont know how obtrusive it is, but the reasoning seems pretty sound. game IS rather complicated.

Ah...okay. I think my level might have just been a little under 5. I'd only play it occasionally to mess around in random levels based on Nintendo and Sega games. Hah.

Alx

The tour was necessary (and is a great deal, it gives you 3 days of premium and a huge amount of credits for doing nothing), but it's a bit heavy-handed indeed. They should have split it in two tours, one for "play" and one for "create". The first one is necessary because of the hall of fame, too many people in the past went into Spark, tried a few creations picked randomly, and concluded that it was mostly bad. And of course the second one is very needed since the creation tools can be intimidating at first (and even later :p).
But getting people who only want to play into the creation tutorial may be annoying (as a matter of fact even as someone who mostly creates thing, I didn't like the tutorial very much).

specifically what is this cross platform tech that windows7 lacks? more technically demanding games such as thewitcher3 seem to run on windows7 just fine, so I think this has more to do with MS artificially limiting this title to windows8 than any justifiable technical limitation.

Keep in mind they are not only doing perpetual ongoing development of Spark, but everything that is user made on win8 also has to be playable on xbox, and vice versa. The tech they would need to develop would need to not only allow them to develop Spark across platform, but every single level users make has to be playable on every platform that Spark is on.

Does Project Spark work on the windows 10 preview build or do i specifically need 8?

It isn't technically supported, but some builds do run Spark fine, but some builds don't function. I believe the most recent build does not, based on my discussion with someone who was trying to use win10 Spark recently. I don't know exactly how often they update the preview build, but it seems to be somewhat frequent.

It's not out in the spanish marketplace,why? :(

It should be- these were the countries they were still waiting on ESRB ratings from before putting it in the store:
USK [UPDATED]: Release in Germany is expected to be on April 27.
Brazil: Release in this region is expected to be on or before April 30.
South Africa: A release date has not been confirmed yet, but is in process.
Australia & New Zealand: A release date has not been confirmed yet, but is in process.
South Korea: Conker will not be released in this market.

You can try changing your region to another (such as USA or UK) to attempt to gain access to it.

When did they add that long ass tutorial, anyway? I played the game a few times before, but I never had to go through that before I played it earlier.

The only thing I got before was that part where they do a basic level that gets created by answering some questions that pop up. I got that when I first played it back in August. I never got anything else the other times that I played it.

As Alx said, the tour was necessary. Apparently a lot of people would download Spark and have no idea of what it was, or where to go, and would exit without pressing any buttons. I would have liked it to be a 'remind me later' thing rather than a 'you must play through this now', but they did try to get the word out a week or so in advance through their social media channels and the xbox one subreddit to do the tour before Conker if they want to just jump right in to Conker on launch day.

zorbsie

Conker episode was short but gave me more than a few good laughs. I have to say though playing as conker in the void storm episode is really great.

Breakless

Banned
It actually kinda felt like a Conker sequel at times.

Chris Seavor is the man, and I'm happy he is back.There are several things that bug me about this though.

-No crutch jumping?!?
They even make a joke about not having this. I mean this is like Nuts and Bolts humor all over again....."Remember when we had that move that fans wanted to use? Hyuk hyuk hyuk!"

-The creators of this episode think Tediz are the primary antagonists......or the only antagonists in the series. They were villains for only the 8th chapter, and each other chapter had unique villains.

-All the locations were cramped and right next to each other. Evil Tediz Lair #1 and #2?.....right next to the Cock and Plucker. I don't see why they couldn't extend the hub area and at least make some platforming bit leading up to them.

I did love some of the jokes, and while I miss
the movie parodies, it was nice to see video game parodies in the mix.

Overall if you want a Conker sequel, this is it, but personally I'd wait until all the episodes are released, that way it feels like a full game experience.

MrMatt555

Jesus christ, I just spent 5 bucks real money to add enough tickets to be able to complete this treasure trove board. What is going on!? This game is a parasite. A very fun one.

Heh, in the future, you get free tickets for the Treasure Trove for each day that you log in. Also, there is a 'multiplier' which increases by 0.5 each time you log in on consecutive days. The boards reset on Sunday, so the best strategy is to log in every day of the week, and then on Saturday play the Treasure Trove so you get 4.5x as many rewards from it.

Some weeks will have content packs, other weeks will have special items such as the Kodian Dagger this week.

Camjo-Z

I managed to quadruple my playtime by trying to glitch the game out as much as possible, only using clever platforming and not editing. I ended up finding ways to squeeze into all three areas without entering the loading zones, which causes some seriously wacky stuff. This game nearly rivals Sonic Boom in the amount of nonsense you can pull off.

First off, Twin-Tailed Barrel Conker gets advice from Birdy.

f79aadd798d6cbfd8e11b3088c0bdd9f.png

Picking up the chainsaw before you're supposed to and then coming back later will cause you to BECOME THE CHAINSAW!

552d7f3f35e182d12674986f212b8764.png

Conker and Chainsaw Tediz hang out at the pub.

9ef59ffd162d1fad667476afec7809cb.png

TTBC gets rocked and develops a permanent limp, forcing him to walk sideways.

2b9c5910f80c09959fa2abeb470dda2e.png

I'm not interrupting any potential cutscenes, am I?

89d70a1b084b7ad08a9d81522e7f915a.png

I don't think you're supposed to be here yet, TTBC. And put that thing away, there are children watching!

f2d19ba9642acbd1399c68d33cb443d7.png

JonnyKong

I enjoyed myself with it, and actually found it quite difficult, especially that big teddy boss. Took me a fair few tries.

Just trying out the community levels now. I'm still amazed someone got the poo fight EXACTLY right.

JonnyKong

Playing this recreation of Mumbo's Mountain is just messing with my mind. I never thought I'd see two Rare games mix like this.

bengraven

In fairness, by today's standards the Xbox remake of the game was basically Rated T.

edit: woops, thought the first page was the only page...I was talking about the ratings talk on Page 1. ha

Is there a way to run this on a 720p TV? Metro is telling me my resolution is too low to run Project Spark, I don't see why a game shouldn't be able to run at 720p, absurd.

Actually really enjoyed the episode for what it was. Now onto some community creations. Pretty solid for them to include Void Storm in this as well, been looking into that

I almost forgot I had these Spark codes to give away left over from a promo a while back, they're for the 'Get Started Bundle' containing:
3 days of Spark Premium
The Nomadic Warrior (a female fighter character, has antlers on her helmet)
The Nomadic Warrior's sword
A stone sword

If you already purchased the bundle in game, the code will not be of use to you. But if you haven't already, feel free to redeem one at xbox.com

edit- all reportedly used (that was quick)
V7R9D-3VVMM-4GQ9T-WGWQJ-QWWQZ
G9TYC-M9C6T-YKF3K-FCC9K-PQVQZ
94X4D-JJ2F3-VMT63-92XY3-T2C3Z
RMCXR-3W46F-R7VKW-PV97M-HMJ7Z
YDKFJ-HKF69-C6C9G-3YRH4-6G6MZ
JMVQY-7Y36H-HV99Y-K347C-TY76Z
37VKD-K7GPD-YG6XF-4QHGX-DKHVZ
HMVXW-3Q969-VKWRV-V4R7X-GV4MZ

catmario

I almost forgot I had these Spark codes to give away left over from a promo a while back, they're for the 'Get Started Bundle' containing:
3 days of Spark Premium
A stone sword

If you already purchased the bundle in game, the code will not be of use to you. But if you haven't already, feel free to redeem one at xbox.com

Thanks! I used fifth one!!

Richie

3 days of Spark Premium
A stone sword

Snatched the second! Thanks a lot!

3 days of Spark Premium
A stone sword

All the codes are dead now, unfortunately.

Xbudz

I managed to quadruple my playtime by trying to glitch the game out as much as possible, only using clever platforming and not editing. I ended up finding ways to squeeze into all three areas without entering the loading zones, which causes some seriously wacky stuff. This game nearly rivals Sonic Boom in the amount of nonsense you can pull off.

First off, Twin-Tailed Barrel Conker gets advice from Birdy.

f79aadd798d6cbfd8e11b3088c0bdd9f.png

Picking up the chainsaw before you're supposed to and then coming back later will cause you to BECOME THE CHAINSAW!

552d7f3f35e182d12674986f212b8764.png

Conker and Chainsaw Tediz hang out at the pub.

9ef59ffd162d1fad667476afec7809cb.png

TTBC gets rocked and develops a permanent limp, forcing him to walk sideways.

2b9c5910f80c09959fa2abeb470dda2e.png

I'm not interrupting any potential cutscenes, am I?

89d70a1b084b7ad08a9d81522e7f915a.png

I don't think you're supposed to be here yet, TTBC. And put that thing away, there are children watching!

f2d19ba9642acbd1399c68d33cb443d7.png

With both Windows and Xbox able to take screenshots, I was wondering why you went with the shaky cellphone option?

Sydle

Can somebody confirm whether or not this is cross-buy for Win8/Xbox if you're using the same account?

It is, bought it on my Win 8.1 PC a couple days ago and just started it on my Xbox One now. I think it runs a lot better on a good PC though, so I'd stick with it there.

I'll also warn it seems you have to complete the tour on each machine, so if you haven't done that prepare yourself.

I forgot how heavy handed that tour is. I think Team Dakota did this a gargantuan disservice by making people go through that tour. Not everyone is a player and creator, so why make them go through it all? They should have just been videos you could play from a meld menu or something WHEN you're ready to learn about all that stuff.

Alx

I'll also warn it seems you have to complete the tour on each machine, so if you haven't done that prepare yourself.

Really ? In that case I would recommend trying to level up to lvl 5 instead of doing the tour twice (you don't have to do the tour once you've reached that level). The mere fact of doing the tour once would get you almost there anyway, and it would be more fun to just play the game than repeat the tutorial.

It is, bought it on my Win 8.1 PC a couple days ago and just started it on my Xbox One now. I think it runs a lot better on a good PC though, so I'd stick with it there.

I forgot how heavy handed that tour is. I think Team Dakota did this a gargantuan disservice by making people go through that tour. Not everyone is a player and creator, so why make them go through it all? They should have just been videos you could play from a meld menu or something WHEN you're ready to learn about all that stuff.

Alright. Thanks!

Already insanely frustrated that I have to sit through this dumbass tutorial when all I wanted to do was play this Conker stuff. I'm 2 seconds away from deleting this off of my hard drive.

Edit: Fuck this game. Create tutorial.. I don't fucking care.

Sydle

Really ? In that case I would recommend trying to level up to lvl 5 instead of doing the tour twice (you don't have to do the tour once you've reached that level). The mere fact of doing the tour once would get you almost there anyway, and it would be more fun to just play the game than repeat the tutorial.

I was a level 10 from the time I've spent with it on PC.

No matter the level, the issue is the same. Forcing long tutorials on people when it's not clear why someone is playing isn't helpful. Better to let someone choose when to view a tutorial such as when they are ready to apply what they learned, so they'll be in a mode to retain it.

EDIT: Played the Void Storm campaign with Conker and thought that was a lot of fun, some parts even impressive in regards to what they were able to do with Project Spark.

mrlion

I can't get Project Spark to work when I try to load it, it takes me back to desktop. I try uninstalling it but it won't do it.

I give up...I want Conker :(

EBE

yo if i buy the episode itself, will i be able to buy the creation content pack separately for 5 dollars, or will i have to spend 10, in effect rebuying the episode?

yo if i buy the episode itself, will i be able to buy the creation content pack separately for 5 dollars, or will i have to spend 10, in effect rebuying the episode?

If you think you will want the creation stuff, buy the content bundle and get the play experience at the same time. The marketplace does not do discounts based on content you already own as part of bundles.

I was a level 10 from the time I've spent with it on PC.

No matter the level, the issue is the same. Forcing long tutorials on people when it's not clear why someone is playing isn't helpful. Better to let someone choose when to view a tutorial such as when they are ready to apply what they learned, so they'll be in a mode to retain it.

EDIT: Played the Void Storm campaign with Conker and thought that was a lot of fun, some parts even impressive in regards to what they were able to do with Project Spark.

My understanding is the internal testing showed that those who exited early got lost/confused and needed to start it from the beginning anyway, so they decided to make it a requirement for all new users (under level 5). Again, I agree and think it should have at least a pause button that lets you resume it, or restart it later, but this is what they went with for now. The tour is only about 2 or so weeks old at this point, so it may change.

I can't get Project Spark to work when I try to load it, it takes me back to desktop. I try uninstalling it but it won't do it.

I give up...I want Conker :(

Win8 or Win10? If it's Win10, my understanding is the current preview build isn't functional with Spark, but some builds do, and the next one might. Also, I'm not sure if they ever changed it, but Spark needed to have windows media player installed back in beta, I'm not sure if that is still a requirement or not.

Hubble

I completed this and wow, it is amazing.

Conker is back!

It may not be a full fledged Conker game, but it is one. It feels just like one and you wont feel otherwise. All of you Conker fans who have been complaining for years have no excuse at $4.99.

Everyone with a Xbox One should buy this. No joke. At its core, it is a great platformer that pays homage to the classic genre in a lot of ways, and you can tell they put some care into the camera in certain gameplay sequences avoiding a lot of those genre pitfalls. Overall, well polished and a fantastic package from the presentation, story, and dialogue.

The humor is absolutely Conker at times and hilarious. I wont spoil it but there are a few memorable liners and the game will have you laugh and smile throughout. The audio with the money is absolutely classic and so funny and charming that I wanted to hear more from it. If you were worried, about the graphics and how Conker looks, don't be.

My only complaint would be I wish there were more easter eggs, or things to explore, but of course I can tell they designed this as sort of a 'pilot' to gauge interest.

Let's hear more impressions!

Sydle

My understanding is the internal testing showed that those who exited early got lost/confused and needed to start it from the beginning anyway, so they decided to make it a requirement for all new users (under level 5). Again, I agree and think it should have at least a pause button that lets you resume it, or restart it later, but this is what they went with for now. The tour is only about 2 or so weeks old at this point, so it may change.

Thanks for the info.

The concept of play, create, or marketplace can't have been that confusing. Play is self explanatory for anyone who has been gaming for more than 5 seconds. If someone clicks on create then that's when they should be given the suggestion to start the creation tutorials.

If you meant people who intended to create got lost when exiting the tutorial early then I believe it. I don't like how it piles on so much on at once. Even though I've been in and out of it for over a year now I still forget how to do certain things. Even with the refresher I had already forgotten how to reposition my brush or get back to the prop menu by the time it had taught me so many concepts. I got frustrated and exited it.

I think a better way to present those concepts would be as individual tutorials where a single idea, or tightly related creation concepts, are presented and built upon. One tutorial is foundational and the other advanced, with rewards each time you master a concept. That way someone who is really interested in creating better landscapes or adjusting brain properties, for example, could just focus on the handful of tools to master what interests them at that point in time, instead of having to sit through that entire tutorial again.

I completed this and wow, it is amazing.

Conker is back!

It may not be a full fledged Conker game, but it is one. It feels just like one and you wont feel otherwise. All of you Conker fans who have been complaining for years have no excuse at $4.99.

Everyone with a Xbox One should buy this. No joke. At its core, it is a great platformer that pays homage to the classic genre in a lot of ways, and you can tell they put some care into the camera in certain gameplay sequences avoiding a lot of those genre pitfalls. Overall, well polished and a fantastic package from the presentation, story, and dialogue.

The humor is absolutely Conker at times and hilarious. I wont spoil it but there are a few memorable liners and the game will have you laugh and smile throughout. The audio with the money is absolutely classic and so funny and charming that I wanted to hear more from it. If you were worried, about the graphics and how Conker looks, don't be.

My only complaint would be I wish there were more easter eggs, or things to explore, but of course I can tell they designed this as sort of a 'pilot' to gauge interest.

Let's hear more impressions!

This is what surprised me the most, as well as some of the gameplay scenarios that were a perfect fit. They did a really good job making it a Conker experience and I'm looking forward to more episodes. My only gripe was how often Conker got hung up on something, or seemingly couldn't get onto a platform unless approached just right. I imagine that's a problem with Project Spark though, because I've experienced it in other creations, even ones as polished as the Void campaign.

In any case, I enjoyed it enough that I couldn't help but imagine Team Dakota fully adopts Conker and brings us proper stand alone games, even if they're just $20-size games every year or so that take on different themes and gameplay ideas. I think there's so much movie, TV, and gaming movie-like material to parody these days that they could put a Conker spin on them for something that could be really fun distractions. They could take those assets from the stand-alone game and put them in Project Spark for people to mess around with.

I digress. I'm impressed with what they did and hopefully it's not the last we see of Conker from Team Dakota.

EBE

If you think you will want the creation stuff, buy the content bundle and get the play experience at the same time. The marketplace does not do discounts based on content you already own as part of bundles.

i thought Spark might possibly be able to do the discount on its end of the equation, using its in game currrency (those gold bars or whatever). i suppose youre right though. i can throw them 10 dollars, anyway.

gonna download this right now

mrlion

Win8 or Win10? If it's Win10, my understanding is the current preview build isn't functional with Spark, but some builds do, and the next one might. Also, I'm not sure if they ever changed it, but Spark needed to have windows media player installed back in beta, I'm not sure if that is still a requirement or not.

I'm Win8.1 and I spent about 2 hours trying to get it to run but it just wouldn't load.

SegaShack

Man I am beyond satisfied with this game. I really loved it all the way through and had a huge smile on my face the entire time. I was so happy to have conker back and I LOVED the fact that the creators of this pack actually had a lot of variety in terms of gameplay, which is what Conker's Bad Fur Day was all about. There are a lot of lines and events that return from the original as well. They really nailed the character and what I loved about him in Bad Fur Day.

I have never enjoyed a Project Spark level I had played once since it came out, but this time was completely different. The level design was really great. Furthermore, the community levels I have played using the Conker assets have been great so far.

Now I I do have some criticism of course.

1) Part of what made Conker so fun was the ridiculous characters he had to put up with, Birdie is great, but would love to see some new annoying characters to piss off Conker
2) Want to see more enemies as well as inanimate objects with eyes
3) Conker's facial animations are a bit stale
4) The "funny helicopter tail thing" doesn't feel right, jumping physics in general where great despite this.
5) Where are the women at for Conker to oogle?

6- Unrelated to Conker, but that tutorial was one of the worst experiences I have had in a video game. It was just forced bullshit and it never ended. I have played Spark before yet I was still forced to go through nearly an hour of crap just to play Conker content I have already purchsed. All they need is a button on the title screen that says "start here" for the tutorial instead of shoving it down our throat.

Overall I had an amazing time with this and my only hope is that we have more episodes in the future. Despite being irked at how they announcement was done, I have to say that my expectations were completely exceeded with this pack and that I am so happy to see Conker back.

PS: I have a lingering suspicion that paradoxmoose is a Project Spark advertising/support account. Maybe mods should look into it?

Camjo-Z

1) Part of what made Conker so fun was the ridiculous characters he had to put up with, Birdie is great, but would love to see some new annoying characters to piss off Conker
2) Want to see more enemies as well as inanimate objects with eyes
4) The "funny helicopter tail thing" doesn't feel right, jumping physics in general where great despite this.

Agree with more characters/enemies for Conker to play off of. I like Birdy but he wasn't utilized much here beyond providing exposition. And the main issue with the helicopter tail is that it functions more like a double jump, which is also what makes it possible to go out of bounds. I'm pretty sure it didn't provide any extra vertical height in the original game.

Alec

The Conker stuff was awesome. It performed like absolute garbage and makes me yearn for a proper sequel, but I can tell that whatever team was in charge of putting the world together tried really hard and I'm impressed.

Now give them the resources for a real game! Being bound by Project Spark's technical limitations is rooooough.

PS: I have a lingering suspicion that paradoxmoose is a Project Spark advertising/support account. Maybe mods should look into it?
Ha, understandable, but I promise that I am not an employee or Spark advertising/support account. But here's some full disclosure- I do host the weekly Spark community podcast that is joined by a TD community manager each week, and am a member of the community advisement group (CAG) that serves as a focus group of sorts. I was also one of the people they asked to help work on the Conker launch day UGC (paradoxmoomoose on Conker's Defense). I did travel (on my own dime) to help do demos at their SDCC, PAX East and PAX Prime booths (and visited their office while at PAX), and they did send me to Gamescom to help do demos at the booth there. I am also an admin on the community fansite and write blogs on Spark topics there. Pretty much all of this started because I spent my free time answering questions and helping people. TMI?

I'm Win8.1 and I spent about 2 hours trying to get it to run but it just wouldn't load.
Hmm, this comes up every once in a while, but if you go to http://www.projectspark.com/#play and click the support tab and fill out the form, say you want to play conker and are trying to access it but (your details here). That's the way to get to the tech support (who are unfortunately not going to be in office until Monday most likely).

Good Job Project Spark, now I don't even want to fucking buy the DLC because of this intrusive freaking tutorial. I lost it and rage quit last night.

NIGHT-

Uhh. Got to the boss and got stuck in an endless loop. Happen to anyone else? I have to start all the way over to make it stop

Xbudz

The Mighty Poo community game is impressive. They used the Kinect microphone to capture the music and voices of the original boss battle.
Screenshot-Original.png

Alx

I'm not entirely sure, it would take away all the work they're putting into these episodes if a bigger, retail game was announced.

Anyone know how many episodes of this we're getting?

I'm not sure the devs know themselves. The Conker content started as a side project, I suppose the possible episodes to come will depend on the reception.
They already have a plan for episodic content that seems spread out already, and with not much visibility for players. The first Champion's Quest episode was released at official launch last Fall, and the second one is expected to release soon.

Top Bottom