• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Connecticut to Ban Gun Sales to Those on Federal Terrorism Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucy_XL

Banned
The watch list really isn't great.

Personal example: My mother is named Roberta and sometimes she gets stopped at airports because "everyone named Roberta is on a watch list." That's literally the reason she was given. How can you put everyone who shares a certain name on a watch list? It makes no sense to me and it's something they really need to fix.

That said, Guns/The second amendment are a cancer on America. So if this helps restrict sales in any way I'm all for it. There is so much evidence out there that banning guns would cause gun violence to effectively become nonexistent. Just look at what happened in Australia in the 90s. You had heaps of people taking the same stance Gun-loving Americans and Politicians are now. And in recent interviews many of those politicians admit they were wrong and that it works.

I'm not delusional though. I know that America's love affair with guns is never going to allow that to happen. So at the least proper restrictions need to be put into place. As posted earlier in this topic, there is a lot of evidence that states with higher restrictions have less gun violence. We should be able to at least get every state to the level of those towards the bottom. We can't keep letting the NRA's greed to persevere over logic. These weapons are too easy to purchase and by nature incredibly easy to kill with. Shootings are abundant and they need to be stopped. People shouldn't ever feel scared to go to the opening of a highly anticipated film, or to school, or to work.

My mom's name is also Roberta and she never gets stopped. Might be something your mom isn't telling you! Or not, the list could very well make no sense at all

TDLink

My mom's name is also Roberta and she never gets stopped. Might be something your mom isn't telling you! Or not, the list could very well make no sense at all

She also is a dual-citizen (Canadian/American) and has a hyphenated last name. I am sure those are all contributing factors. But the TSA guy said it was specifically because of her name. It's really bizarre.

This hasn't happened in a while though so I guess whatever it is got resolved. But it was a consistent problem a few years ago.

fuzzyset

So because some innocent people might be on the list, rather than reforming it making sure its accurately representing risks, those who probably are guilty should be allowed to buy guns in the meantime?

Surely the list needs reforming, but if it was 100% accurate would it still be wrong to ban those on the list?

what is wrong with controlling who owns firearms?

Our entire justice system is predicated on the belief that sending an innocent man to jail is worse than sending a murderer back on the street. Your thinking (and others in this thread) is as un-American as Trump.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This. There's no due process that gets you on this list. If the second amendment guarantees the right of a citizen to own a firearm, this would be removing that right without due process. Unconstitutional.
If something is truly considered a right, and not a privilege, then it shouldn't be removable even with due process.

ivysaur12

Banned
So did nearly every other state. Decriminalizing weed doesn't make him a good governor.

Do some reading you twit:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/389857/americas-worst-governor-matt-purple

So you point to a National Review article? Really? Really?

That's not to say that Malloy is a great governor -- I think he's fine, but hasn't taken advantage of the unique aspect of Connecticut's position between New York and Boston that could create a more diverse economy.

The CT GOP keeps screaming that Malloy is the devil, or that progressive politics have RUINED!!!!!!!! the CT economy, but we/they went through years of Rell and Convicted Felon Roland who also ushered in the complete collapse of Hartford and the insurance market in the state.

Also, he basically saved the GE headquarters from leaving CT, which is probably the single most important thing that he could've done for the Southern CT economy.

On a list of things that Malloy has done of the state, this is one of his stupider moves. Attempting to close a budget gap while not hurting the already fragile infrastructure of Connecticut is not.

Also, lol at that this:

“In those 11 months under Rell, Connecticut saw 23,000 jobs created. In no year of Malloy’s term has Connecticut seen that level of job growth,” Rennie writes."

Worth noting that, even with the last few months, Connecticut is having its best job growth in years.

Yeah. I agree with if him that if someone can't fly, and are on a watch list, specially a terrorist one. You shouldn't be able to. Why even have a list if you don't even enforce it?

"RPGCrazied" ?

Sounds like a terrorist name to me. Crazied is just another word for radicalized, and your name says right there it's about rocket propelled grenades.

Congrats, you're on the list now, TERRORIST.

RPGCrazied

"RPGCrazied" ?

Sounds like a terrorist name to me. Crazied is just another word for radicalized, and your name says right there it's about rocket propelled grenades.

Congrats, you're on the list now, TERRORIST.

You must be pro gun. My name stands for RPG=Role Playing Games, and Its the genre I mostly play,

Thanks for playing though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seriously. Or any thread on gun control really. It's very sad.

I do have to wonder if a large percentage of them either don't live in the US and don't fully understand what they are talking about or are middle school/high school kids who don't yet see the value in placing importance on certain aspects of government that they should. At least I hope so.

Not living in a country with a dumb problem doesn't disqualify you from thinking it's a dumb problem.

Unless you think stoning women to death for unproven accusations is simply a matter of cultural nuance.

tensuke

You must be pro gun. My name stands for RPG=Role Playing Games, and Its the genre I mostly play,

That was his point. You can be put on the list for no actionable reason and have your constitutional rights stripped with no oversight. If you don't see what the fundamental problem is with that, I can't help you.

Nuova

Banned

tumblr_inline_mgtttkMdQa1qfe5t2.png

Not living in a country with a dumb problem doesn't disqualify you from thinking it's a dumb problem.

Unless you think stoning women to death for unproven accusations is simply a matter of cultural nuance.

Because stoning a woman to death is tantamount to legal gun ownership.

Role playing games? Unlikely.

This look familiar to you?
YPrW62k.png

I bet it does. C'mon, admit it. Your RPG crazied ass probably sleeps with one next to your bed.

Whatever. I don't have to listen to you, terrorist. I hope you aren't allowed to vote. Personally I can't believe they even let you post on GAF.

zelas

If guns are legal to acquire then the fbi should prove that these specific people have committed a crime to show why they shouldn't have them.
And the government should be allowed to take action without people crying about mistakes and inconveniences. Like I said, how is that a problem?

I still find what he said offensive to me, regardless if he was making a point or not.

Imagine the FBI simply saw you on NeoGAF put you on the no fly list so you couldn't fly on an airline and had your rights taken away because they thought you meant Rocket Propelled Grenade instead of Role Playing Game.

And the government should be allowed to take action without people crying about mistakes and inconveniences. Like I said, how is that a problem?

So the government should get rid of your rights for whatever reason they feel is a good idea without you having any say or any recourse? Do you even understand why it was created to have three branches of government?

The government should not be allowed to do whatever they want without oversight. Nothing you are saying makes sense, especially with regards to my position.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I still find what he said offensive to me, regardless if he was making a point or not.

Look how upset you got about this dude saying something about your username on a message board. Now imagine that it wasn't just some dude, it was the government, and it wasn't a joke on a message board, it was preventing you from traveling or exercising a legal right.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because stoning a woman to death is tantamount to legal gun ownership.

I'm not talking about the ownership - I'm talking about the unintended consequence.

I think one mass shooting per day looks just as bizarre from the outside.

Far more US toddlers die annually in accidental shootings than Saudi women are stoned to death. The original response was to the question of external cultural perspective - the opposite of apples to apples comparison in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom