• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gen over before it's started - PS5. Only 10.3 tflops. Only 36 CUs...

Kokoloko85

I don't think there are too many people who will claim SeX will outsell PS5.

The difference is people with money will pay for better gear. And since MS and Sony pools are big enough to attract every third game equally, SeX will have just as many games as PS5, and SeX games will look and play better.

So if you're happy with a base model Honda Accord to save a few bucks, that's fine. I'll get a Lexus GS.

Yeah but can you play Spider man 2, God of War 2, Naughty dogs next game, Horizon 2. + XX amouts of exclusives?

Really depends on what you prefer. 3rd part games at 1.8 tflops better or more better games + those 3rd party games

Last edited:

TastyWheat

Neo Member
Realistically, who cares about a hundred bucks from the personal sense? If you want gaming on a budget go buy the switch or a handheld. I want the most powerful device for the cheapest price and the only thing better than Xbox now is the very very high end PC. Xbox Series X is the best value even if PS4 is a few dollars cheaper. If you want discount, go back a generation. I want cutting edge without PC prices.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The One X is being held back by its CPU and HDD. To be sure that the experience is similar to the Xbox Series X, but in 1080p, they need to create a new system with the same CPU and SSD, but less GPU power and RAM.

Wait, are you saying it's not all about a pure TFLOPS number?!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I play games not sales. If I wanted to play the console that currently sells the most I'd buy a Switch.

Some of you need to get your priorities straight. The console selling more doesn't mean you have a more enjoyable gaming experience.
The fall back plan is always "I sold more!"

In that case I should sell everything I have and buy a Civic, listen to Justin Bieber all day, and re-buy a PS2.

Why would someone buy a PS5 when all other PS systems sold more? Just stick with the old systems until PS5 sells 100 million. Then buy it.

hussar16

im disappointed in sony ,theyr system looks about 20% weaker, most games probably wont do 4k native,which is a joke as its a console meant for over 5 years and many ppl have 4k tvs, I might have to go with xbox this gen if they don't announce ps2 backwards compatibility with 4k resolution and automatic upgrades like xbox is doing ,xbox has way more incentives from the outset tbh with upscaled and upgraded old games ,sony doesn't seem to care to give us choice but push their blurry ps now service

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think there are too many people who will claim SeX will outsell PS5.

The difference is people with money will pay for better gear. And since MS and Sony pools are big enough to attract every third game equally, SeX will have just as many games as PS5, and SeX games will look and play better.

So if you're happy with a base model Honda Accord to save a few bucks, that's fine. I'll get a Lexus GS.

But like my case, I would only need Big Navi now to beat XSX by a huge gap and have all their exclusives IF they are good enough. My NVMe is at 3.5GB/s, 8 cor/16T 3.7Ghz (base clock) CPU, Radeon VII. I'm not a PC gamer, but I need PC for videography and photography, and general usage. So Big Navi's 24GB HBM2e is an upgrade for 16GB HBM2 in the Radeon VII that I use it for editing. More like a standby gaming PC if something good comes out of the PS5 ecosystem. I would still buy all the games on PS5 anyway for convenience and friends there (I buy a lot of games anyway, owning like 180+ games so far on PS4, mostly digital).

Showing my case here, explains why PC gamers most of the time only buy PS4 for exclusives, but doesn't make since on the green side.

BUT, buying both XSX and PS5 for just gaming is much smarter to me than PC + PS5 for that solo purpose. And still happy that they are competing well anyway and keeping Sony on its toes.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, are you saying it's not all about a pure TFLOPS number?!
Depends on what you need... Lockheart isn't aimed to deliver the best possible experience. It's for casual gamers, that love to game, don't care that it isn't the best looking version of a game. Like people that still play on their PC without having the best gfx card, but then for consoles.

Xbox Series X definitely is all about power, and PS5 well... I don't know what Sony's gameplan actually is. Maybe they are happy having a "decent" console, that is powerful enough for 4K, but nothing special.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The fall back plan is always "I sold more!"

In that case I should sell everything I have and buy a Civic, listen to Justin Bieber all day, and re-buy a PS2.

Why would someone buy a PS5 when all other PS systems sold more? Just stick with the old systems until PS5 sells 100 million. Then buy it.

Selling more = keeps the company healthy = bigger budget = GOTY games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But like my case, I would only need Big Navi now to beat XSX by a huge gap and have all their exclusives IF they are good enough. My NVMe is at 3.5GB/s, 8 cor/16T 3.7Ghz (base clock) CPU, Radeon VII. I'm not a PC gamer, but I need PC for videography and photography, and general usage. So Big Navi's 24GB HBM2e is an upgrade for 16GB HBM2 in the Radeon VII that I use it for editing. More like a standby gaming PC if something good comes out of the PS5 ecosystem. I would still buy all the games on PS5 anyway for convenience and friends there (I buy a lot of games anyway, owning like 180+ games so far on PS4, mostly digital).

Showing my case here, explains why PC gamers most of the time only buy PS4 for exclusives, but doesn't make since on the green side.

BUT, buying both XSX and PS5 for just gaming is much smarter to me than PC + PS5 for that solo purpose. And still happy that they are competing well anyway and keeping Sony on its toes.
So your rebuttal for SeX being much more powerful than PS5 is to buy Big Navi gpu with 24gb of HBM2 for your PC?

Uh ok.

Great Hair

Banned
Work it out whats better, 36 x 2.23ghz, or 52 x 1.85ghz....

PS4 14.4Ghz 100%
PS4P 32.4Ghz 225%
PS5 80Ghz 555% + supafasta ESESDEEEEEE TEN GIGABAITS!
XSX 96Ghz (PS5 + 20% + 40% RayTracing minus slow SSD)

giphy005d769d84981069.gif

//DEVIL//

Yeah but can you play Spider man 2, God of War 2, Naughty dogs next game, Horizon 2. + XX amouts of exclusives?

Really depends on what you prefer. 3rd part games at 1.8 tflops better or more better games + those 3rd party games

That line doesnt work anymore. yes Sony has big IPs but so does MS. to each has good and bad IPs. to you spider man is an amazing game, to me its killer instinct and so on . you cant say MS games sucks because you as a person dont like them.

even with the PS5 weaker than Xbox Series X, MS will have a huge battle to fight to win the crowd back. being more powerful isnt everything and the sales of the xbox one X proved that too . a piece of an art system of its time but with few games... whats the point ?

MS has to open its wallets for big studios like Remedy etc. not just small good studios.

my only concern with MS is the way they are approaching business. i dont want 100 AA game per year on game pass going the netflix approach. i want fewer games if they are a AAA games. which is what Sony does.

if MS managed to fix that, sony will have a problem.

yurinka

I think this will be $499 and selling it at a loss.

Even with less flops than Xbox it's a very powerful next gen Zen 2, RDNA 2, PCIe 4 tech beast with higher frequency GPU (higher frequency not only helps for flops, as Cerny said, because GPU also does many other things that also get benefited from that extra speed, like rasterization), many extra sauce custom chips, 16GB of ram, and specially that SSD beast isn't going to be cheap at all. And we still have to know all the small details (like cooling system/wifi/bluetooth/etc) and see the DS5, only with all that things they already announced for the pad should be expensive.

Last edited:

dDoc

So please someone answer me this - what do 2 TFlops mean in raw power? What will be the difference in 3rd party games between the 2 consoles?

sneas78

Banned
You kind of new huh? We haven’t seen next gen games yet. Let’s wait till the end of the generation. Shall we. It might be tied or lose. Will see.

mcjmetroid

So it's about less flops now, all of a sudden? I'm getting old because I can't keep up with this shit...
It was never about the Terraflops or the graphical power of a console.

Whoever thinks it is or was is deluded.

The key is going to be the games and we know next to nothing about then so far.

Say it with me kids.. the most powerful console doesn't always equal the best or most successful console.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So please someone answer me this - what do 2 TFlops mean in raw power? What will be the difference in 3rd party games between the 2 consoles?
As a current gen start, X is 1.8tf more than PS4 Pro. X has more native 4k games and more stable frames.

As for other system features, X can also enhance older games with better visuals, resolution and HDR patches. As per MS, SeX can do that too. There sure seemed to be more enhanced games via X, than enhanced games via Pro.

In reality, the 2tf difference for these two systems will likely be a bit better visuals and more stable frames. And considering all that ray tracing stuff is supposed to be power hungry, more power the better to do all those fancy lighting and shadows.

mcjmetroid

You probably wouldn't see the difference until about 3 years into the console generation and by then we should have a clear Victor.

Seriously thought it benefits all gamers to have serious competition for Sony.

We wouldn't have features like GamePass if MS wasn't desperate and we wouldn't have cross play for Sony if Microsoft and Nintendo didn't do it to put pressure on them.

An even split like the 360 and PS3 days is the ideal situation.

We all win if the big 3 do well and Google stay losing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Say it with me kids.. the most powerful console doesn't always equal the best or most successful console.
You're talking sales, not quality.

That's like saying someone who has a 400 hp engine in a BMW is worse than a 150 HP engine in a Civic because there's only one BMW on the block, but there's 10 Civics.

In terms of gaming, it's even easier to show. Anyone who has a high end GPU will obviously be among a small pool of gamers. Like 1% have a great gpu from this year. Half of the people are probably playing on a 5 year old computer.

5 year old PCs with old gpus have more sales, but the gamer with the latest PC gear has better quality.

mcjmetroid

You're talking sales, not quality.

That's like saying someone who has a 400 hp engine in a BMW is worse than a 150 HP engine in a Civic because there's only one BMW on the block, but there's 10 Civics.

In terms of gaming, it's even easier to show. Anyone who has a high end GPU will obviously be among a small pool of gamers. Like 1% have a great gpu from this year. Half of the people are probably playing on a 5 year old computer.

5 year old PCs with old gpus have more sales, but the gamer with the latest PC gear has better quality.
I am talking sales but I'm also talking about the quality of the console experience rather than the hardware itself.

I am very much on the fence about which console to buy. I'd be lying if the more powerful console mixed with a GamePass like system isn't intriguing to me but it will all depend on the games and frankly historically I have preferred Playstation games because of its mix of western and Japanese games.

But I'm going off an a tangent. My point is the better console isn't just about power, theres plenty of other factors which will be subjective.

I also may just go for a high end PC and fuck the lot of them.

mcjmetroid

If you got the money for good specs, like the flexibility of a PC and don't mind the nuances that come with it (drivers and fiddling), PC is probably the better choice.
Was never a PC gamer because historically I've always found it a bit fidley. I think now would be the time because these days it seems to be getting the best of all worlds in terms of games and frankly I'm a lot better at PCs since I actually work in IT and controller support with PCs is better than ever. Hell it's even getting Xbox games and PlayStation games 3 years later ha.

GymWolf

So what will 12.1 tflops mean other than bigger epeen, please explain?

Cos a $500 or even $450 Series X is gonna be 3rd place again. Is this your idea of 'winning'?

😆
yeah because final buyers care more about sony winning the selling race than performance, smh.
i mean i can understand people like you because you are a sony shareholder (at least i hope for you) but hardcore gamers care more about not-abstract things like resolution or framerate compared to who is selling more consolles.

Last edited:
What are you on about xbox bot? Dont have any games to play on your system? Even is xbox had 20tfps, you dont have any games... and Playstation does lol.

Playstation 5: 36 CUs @ 2.23ghz
Xbox one X: 40 CUs @ 1.1ghz
XBox series X: 52 Cus @ 1.85ghz

Whats your point? Playstation 4 had more CUs than Playstion 5 but at slower speed

ok so I kinda get your point, but knowing that RT is CU bound wouldn’t you want more CUs to handle the considerable RT load?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What are you on about xbox bot? Dont have any games to play on your system? Even is xbox had 20tfps, you dont have any games... and Playstation does lol.

Playstation 5: 36 CUs @ 2.23ghz
Xbox one X: 40 CUs @ 1.1ghz
XBox series X: 52 Cus @ 1.85ghz

Whats your point? Playstation 4 had more CUs than Playstion 5 but at slower speed
PS4 has 18 CU, Pro has 36 CU. PS5 also has 36 CU.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

You don't say...

I totally agree that PS5 has the games advantage but why are we so comfortable just assuming the PS5 will consistently perform at 10.3 tf? If sustaining that performance wasn’t an issue surely they would just have it locked there?

Bryank75

Banned
Sony vs MS has always been a kind of David and Goliath situation...

I don't know why people would get behind Xbox, seems boring. Sony always delivered, especially with the games and we mostly didn't realize how many games they helped get to market till recently. (Last 10 to 15 years)

The problem right now is management, Jim is crap and Phil is good at his job.

Kokoloko85

ok so I kinda get your point, but knowing that RT is CU bound wouldn’t you want more CUs to handle the considerable RT load?
I guess it will depend on developers again and how they use the power.. Looking forward to the comparison videos of the games. Will it end up being like Xbox 1 X vs PS4 Pro. Or closer? Or more of a gap?

Foxbat

Banned
Sony vs MS has always been a kind of David and Goliath situation...

I don't know why people would get behind Xbox, seems boring. Sony always delivered, especially with the games and we mostly didn't realize how many games they helped get to market till recently. (Last 10 to 15 years)

The problem right now is management, Jim is crap and Phil is good at his job.

People tend to get behind Xbox because it consistently delivers the best hardware. It also delivers the games, although not near as many third person bush hiding simulators as Playstation.

Xbox continually provides better...

Services. Xbl/Gamepass > PSN
Hardware. Xbox > PS
Controller. Xbox > PS DS

Sony has been both better (PS4) and worse (PS3) on price. Sony has also had its ups and downs on games.

Doesn't matter as much of it is just a matter of opinion anyway.

I totally agree that PS5 has the games advantage but why are we so comfortable just assuming the PS5 will consistently perform at 10.3 tf? If sustaining that performance wasn’t an issue surely they would just have it locked there?

I see this is catching on. When you buy a graphics card, do you want it to run at 2000mhz even when web browsing ? No, you don't, that would be stupid and a waste of energy. All GPUs and CPUs dynamically overclock for a reason.

bRacing

Banned
PS5 is Disappointing. I’ll maybe get one on heavy discount during Black Friday a couple years after release.

Bryank75

Banned
People tend to get behind Xbox because it consistently delivers the best hardware. It also delivers the games, although not near as many third person bush hiding simulators as Playstation.

Xbox continually provides better...

Services. Xbl/Gamepass > PSN
Hardware. Xbox > PS
Controller. Xbox > PS DS

Sony has been both better (PS4) and worse (PS3) on price. Sony has also had its ups and downs on games.

Doesn't matter as much of it is just a matter of opinion anyway.

I disagree with 90% of what you're saying here...

PlayStation has always offered better hardware when you consider timing.... PS4 was 50% more powerful than Xbox one, PS2 came out earlier than the OG XBox and PS3.... well, that was an experiment that didn't pay off.

Pro launched a year before X and was 100 dollars cheaper...... still performs very close to x.

PlayStation exclusives, no matter how you try and insult or downplay, have beaten rockstar for game of the year and everybody else. They are the best games this generation and constantly set the quality bar very high.

I like the DS4 more. That's more of a preference thing....

Sevices...meh. I hate game rental services and streaming... its not why I game. That whole area is a negative point on gaming as a whole to me...

iJudged

Banned
Op you sound like you're heartbroken 💔. Trying to spin it. It's ok, lower specs who gives a shit, it's still going to be one amazing system and it is ok its alright, maybe.

Embrace the suck I know it stings, you're taking it too personally, don't, or do, you ok Op?

Get use to the banter for the next 3 years until Sony releases Ps5 pro, don't cry you warrior you.

Hey here is something, denial and stupidity is seeping! You should be ashamed of your self lol. Pathetic, sorry but your post you just sound like a pathetic jealous fanboy. You are too invested in this nonsense.

Reallink

Sony's custom future tech speed SSD, custom I/O controller, and custom SoC features probably costs as much (or more) than MS's extra CU's and TF's. The only thing that will stop MS from price matching Sony is if Lockhart is real and a launch product. If Series X is all MS has, it's all but guaranteed they'll both be priced the same.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
God, the desperation from Sony fanboys. They could have announced a bucket of pig spunk today and the zombie hordes would still praise it.

"Yes but the semen texture is far richer than that of Microsoft's offering"
Or many Sony fans understand that PS5 is still very capable and has some interesting customizations under the hood

Imagine how good the next God of War will look

Top Bottom