• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gen over before it's started - PS5. Only 10.3 tflops. Only 36 CUs...

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm appreciating PS5 a lot, actually and it seems way more innovative than brute forcing. Take it like:

PS5: Nissan GT-R NISMO (600hp)
XSX: Dodge Challenger Hellcat (707hp)

Gearheads will understand what does that mean.

That's EXACTLY the issue, that's why X360 was so much better for the developers (and as a result us, gamers) than PS3 with CELL, that's why PS4 with its simple, PC-like design was so much better than XB1 with its ESRAM. It's like you say, Sony is offering a complicated small capacity, high revving engine with variable valve timing, variable geometry turbo, nitrous oxide and what's not, whereas MS comes out with a simple 6L V8 where you just step on the gas and it does the job. After PS3 and its all issues, and remarkable PS4 success, I am seriously shocked that Sony has once again came up with such a messy design. It's like Cerny felt overconfident with PS4 success and is now acting exactly like Kutaragi.

GymWolf

from the DF dude on reeeee

I think the gpu and CPU clocking Thing will work like this, i have it on a good hunch:

Devs will prioritise modes like high clocked GPU and lower clockd CPU, or the other way around. That is basically what the presentation says, they will have trouble hitting full speeds on both parts simultaneously due to utilisation (which is a bit duh), so one Part being higherclocked requires an under utilisation of the other. So a game that is mostly gpu limited will use a gpu Mode, a very intense open world game or... Some other Design requiring more CPU will use a CPU Mode. So underclocking the GPU there.

This of course assume that games do not really heavily utilise both parts at the same time, in which case, like a 60 Assassin's Creed game as we see on PC. Or a game with variable drs and a lot of CPU Stuff. Or any ambtious game that want to do both simulation and graphical things.

The one Part being higher clocked, requires an under utilisation of the other. Hence why freefloating resolution game with very preise dynamic resolution scaling, like Doom, Titan Fall 2, modern warfare etc. Will all probably need to be in the Mode for GPU Power. They are already maxing the GPU as is due to their Design.

Kokoloko85

How can you say that with such conviction? The generation hasn't even started yet.

Because MS has never been close to playstation apart from the 360 gen which:
Ms had many advantages with the 360 Gen and still didnt outsell Playstation and library of games was better on PS3.
Heavy on 1st and 2nd party exclusives:

360 advantages that will never happen again

1. Releasing a a whole year ahead of Playstaion 3
2. Cheaper than the PS3 ( probably will be the other way around )
3. Easier to develop games for than PS3’s cell engine
4. The boom of online gaming, online store, indies, DLC which playstation didnt have any at the time.
5. Having loads of Playstation associated games for the first time, like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Street fighter IV. Wont happen again.....
6. Nintendo Selling a Wii...

7. Playstation launching horribly and all the bad press it got those days.

Even if MS can go spend major dollar on neogaf fanboys, making threads, bad articles about the PLaystation 5.
It wont change anything.

Playstation consoles including PSP are all in the top 10 best selling gaming devices. People wont abondon the brand it for 1.7tflops advantage looool, look at nintendo.
When the games drop and when those games like God of War 2 and Spider-man 2, Naughty dogs game and Horizon 2 come and the TV advertises them.
Xbox probaby will sell maybe more than half of PS5.

Tbh Im surprised people are gonna spend over 499+ for a new xbox when they just paid xxx amount on a Xbox 1 X just 2-3 years ago?
Might aswell buy a PC if there gonna release consoles every 2 years at that price lol

Mista

Banned
Mista, tell me, when has an Xbox outsold Playstation when it costs more? It gets outsold hard when they both cost the same!

Come on lad. The cold hard reality is after the moment in the sun for the 10-15 fanboys on here yesterday because of Series X 16% (literally nothing) better specs, 99% of buyers wont give a shit.

This is a big boys business you know. Sales and revenue dictate success not epeen for a handful of diehards 😆
Are you having a hard time understanding what I’m saying? I said it will never outsell the PS even next-gen. Stop creating arguments out of nothing mate, you look ridiculous.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's EXACTLY the issue, that's why X360 was so much better for the developers (and as a result us, gamers) than PS3 with CELL, that's why PS4 with its simple, PC-like design was so much better than XB1 with its ESRAM. It's like you say, Sony is offering a complicated small capacity, high revving engine with variable valve timing, variable geometry turbo, nitrous oxide and what's not, whereas MS comes out with a simple 6L V8 where you just step on the gas and it does the job. After PS3 and its all issues, and remarkable PS4 success, I am seriously shocked that Sony has once again came up with such a messy design. It's like Cerny felt overconfident with PS4 success and is now acting exactly like Kutaragi.

If you look at again, Cerny said that developers don't need to know all of that, it does the job for them. So put those two cars at nurburgring and you probably know the end results from the start. There is talk about wasted resources with extra CU's, reminds me of 2080ti vs Titan.

Devs telling Jason that PS5 is the most innovative tech since 20 years doesn't come from nothing, and the learning curve is much faster. That's why devs voted for PS5 being the best ecosystem. There is so much stuff for us non-tech people to comprehend at the moment, and XSX is still a massive console nonetheless.

Hype is restored for me, now I can easily just upgrade my GPU to Big Navi without the need to change anything else as it's more powerful in every spot compared to XSX. I might not play any Xbox games on it, but if something interesting, high quality hits, then $10 for month will be more than enough to play and finish it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I see people saying that Sony can't afford to sell this at $399. That's BS. They could afford to sell the PS3 at what was it $250 loss per console sold?

Do they want to do that? Probably not.

Of course MS could also afford to sell the XSX at a loss, but I'd be real surprised if it is priced at $399.

Different leadership. They have said it over and over they are not going to sell at a loss. You know what Microsoft is saying? They’ll not get beaten by price again. This is going to be last gen in reverse.

GHG

Digital Foundry have made a great, long analysis/explanatory video that made me digest 50% of that Mark Cerny crazy tech talk. I'm appreciating PS5 a lot, actually and it seems way more innovative than brute forcing. Take it like:

PS5: Nissan GT-R NISMO (600hp)
XSX: Dodge Challenger Hellcat (707hp)

Gearheads will understand what does that mean.

The Hellcat is cheaper than the GTR though and it's more practical so...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Hellcat is cheaper than the GTR though and it's more practical so...

And the GT-R is much quicker (higher GPU clocks) and much better on the ring, with smart power shift (ATTESA) with better aerodynamics (less power waste per CU).

Hellcat has much more HP and torque and slightly higher top speed.

I remember the funny comparison between PS4 Pro and 2080ti with Detroit:

So, 14.8% GPU advantge on paper doesn't mean it'll translate for much, PS4 Pro vs X1X is a difference of 30% and still the difference is not huge while X1X is better on everything hardware wise.

XSX is an amazing piece of tech, but we should wait for comparisons 3rd party, and see 1st party games on action to have a better understanding.

sinnergy

And the GT-R is much quicker (higher GPU clocks) and much better on the ring, with smart power shift (ATTESA) with better aerodynamics (less power waste per CU).

Hellcat has much more HP and torque and slightly higher top speed.

I remember the funny comparison between PS4 Pro and 2080ti with Detroit:

So, 14.8% GPU advantge on paper doesn't mean it'll translate for much, PS4 Pro vs X1X is a difference of 30% and still the difference is not huge while X1X is better on everything hardware wise.

XSX is an amazing piece of tech, but we should wait for comparisons 3rd party, and see 1st party games on action to have a better understanding.

Won’t matter Sony Exclusives will win with artistry and money thrown at them to be the best looking in the end that’s what you see onscreen.

Still series X is more powerful 😎

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Won’t matter Sony Exclusives will win with artistry and money thrown at them to be the best looking in the end that’s what you see onscreen.

Still series X is more powerful 😎

Yup, overall XSX is more powerful, but the margin is not comparable to the PS4 Pro vs X1X (30%) which everyhting on X1X is better. API also is another story. A more simplified video here:

ptuck874

but....
"Maybe you'll be sending us a photo of your ear, and we'll use a neural network to pick the closest HRTF in our library," suggests Mark Cerny. "Maybe you'll be sending us a video of your ears and your head, and we'll make a 3D model of them and synthesise the HRTF. Maybe you'll play an audio game to tune your HRTF, we'll be subtly changing it as you play, and home in on the HRTF that gives you the highest score, meaning that it matches you the best. This is a journey we'll all be taking together over the next few years. Ultimately, we're committed to enabling everyone to experience that next level of realism."
someone paste ears on the hype train for me when they announce the price :)

10.3 Tittyflops

psU4j5j.gif

Pallas

Not sure if already posted... but Don’t forget about the rumored Lockhart/Series S console. If price is the determining factor ultimately then Microsoft can price that console competitively and even take a lost on it while keeping the a series X at a premium price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok to clear out what Mark Cerny is saying here at 10:00

(@ 10:00)

It's this intelligent technique that's been used in Horizon Zero but now it got a massive turbo (5.5GB/s raw speed). It not only works at looking in a direction, but even looking up and down! Watch at 18:15

For in-depth explanation, I advice watching this:

Conclusion: 5.5GB/s RAW, 9-11GB/s compressed IS a game changer.

Last edited:
Once I saw 12TF VS 10TF I immediately packed up my PS4 and all my games and put them up on Ebay. That 12TF has really got me all moist. 12 is so much bigger than 10. The games they can create with 2 more TF is, i can't even imagine... is what I would say if the only thing that mattered to me was that TF number. I love all the arm chair engineering happening in here. Xbox has gone the way of brute force, so it's very easy to understand and see. I think PS has gone with quick and nimble, at least that what is sounds like. I don't think most people can comprehend the PS route, I can't honestly.

My layman take on it: Xbox is like a Power Lifter, can push the Heaviest weight but slower. PS can't push as much weight, but i can push what weight it can much quicker? So who, at the end, moved the most weight?

Mista

Banned
Obviously you dont read
Oh no I read very well. Just don’t pull shit out of your ass and claim that I said something when I didn’t. At least prove your claims and oh yeah one more thing, “implying” doesn’t mean that I actually said that. Shocking right? Disengaging from this useless discussion

Kokoloko85

Oh no I read very well. Just don’t pull shit out of your ass and claim that I said something when I didn’t. At least prove your claims and oh yeah one more thing, “implying” doesn’t mean that I actually said that. Shocking right? Disengaging from this useless discussion
Lol ok mate

But it won’t be cheaper.

MS will match it. They will lose money on it to sell at the same price.

Their strategy has been so clear. They will launch the better console at the same price.

We shall see. Phil Spencer claimed that they wouldn’t be out of position on power or price. He is so far correct on one.

Top Bottom