• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles are just like PCs now, why bother with consoles then?

DangerStepp

I remember some old friends that could lend some insight to this discussion....

borys.jpg

Ranger X

Lionheart1337 said:
Running SFIV @ a steady 60fps and play all modern games with $500 dollar build and old ass video card that is still way better than any card in any console.

In the long run this costs me way less money as I don't

-have to pay for online
-have to pay more for games
-have to replace controllers every month
-dont have to get more overpriced accessories to bring things up to par (ex hard drive)
-and those other hidden expenses of console gaming

So basically a console gamer is a moron breaking his controller every month that bought an arcade version Xbox 360? There are other options. Listing the worse possible conditions someone can go through doesn't make for a fair comparison. Your PC is also quite extreme, most people will pay a shiton more than that for one. And if you don't pay for more games you mean that you are pirating them...

Taking me in anecdotal evidence against yours, I own a launch PS3 wich did cost me 300$, I don't buy controllers each month and I also don't pay for online or an hard drive there. I do pay for games however. As for the PC side, I bought a completly new machine 2 years ago, 64bit rig with a cheap video card (Radeon HD4860) and those whole thing did cost me around 2200$ Can. This is the price of my PS3 + 30 full priced retail games...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
NIN90 said:
See, I don't get this. Why would I care how games run on that other guy's PC? If I spend 500$ for a new rig, I can be sure that I can play every new game well for a couple years.
And what the fuck does "as intended" mean? So you mean it was intended to be played in sub HD?

yes, I don't get this argument too. Why should I care? Some people can run it better, some people run it worse than me, so what? I hate standartized hardware in some way.

NIN90

Ranger X said:
As for the PC side, I bought a completly new machine 2 years ago, 64bit rig with a cheap video card (Radeon HD4860) and those whole thing did cost me around 2200$ Can. This is the price of my PS3 + 30 full priced retail games...

Holy shit, how did you manage to spend 2200$ on that? Or is the canadian dollar really that fucked? (serious question)

Oreoleo

Ranger X said:
And if you don't pay for more games you mean that you are pirating them...

You're twisting his words, he said he doesn't "pay more for games" on PC which is true since console games tend to launch at a higher price and hold that price longer than the equivalent PC game.

iam220

Not exactly related and probably not worth its own thread but here's something I saw on reddit just now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Hf4i7XtSs

Figured you guys here would enjoy it since some of the points in that video were probably brought up in this very thread :p

Ranger X said:
Taking me in anecdotal evidence against yours, I own a launch PS3 wich did cost me 300$, I don't buy controllers each month and I also don't pay for online or an hard drive there. I do pay for games however. As for the PC side, I bought a completly new machine 2 years ago, 64bit rig with a cheap video card (Radeon HD4860) and those whole thing did cost me around 2200$ Can. This is the price of my PS3 + 30 full priced retail games...

How did you get a launch ps3 for $300??
Also how did you blow $2200 on a PC?

Fredescu

NIN90 said:
Holy shit, how did you manage to spend 2200$ on that? Or is the canadian dollar really that fucked? (serious question)
Canada pay roughly similar prices for hardware to Australia (dollar to dollar, not converting currency), and I paid about $1200 for a system with a Q9550 (best quad at the time) and 4890 (best single GPU ATI at the time) two years ago. With good components too, Seasonic PSU, aluminium case, full sized mbd, etc. I have no idea how you could burn an extra $1000 and end up with something worse.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NIN90 said:

He got robbed. I built a completely comparable machine to Ranger_X's for $800 in 2008 in Canada, and I paid to have it assembled and shipped.

Faxanadu

NIN90 said:
See, I don't get this. Why would I care how games run on that other guy's PC? If I spend 500$ for a new rig, I can be sure that I can play every new game well for a couple years.
And what the fuck does "as intended" mean? So you mean it was intended to be played in sub HD?

What's so hard to get? For example, You and I play on a 360 game "X"..we both have the same experience. It looks the same. All in the same resolution. Plays the same. Sounds the same. You're not going to go over to your friends house and go "Oh wow this looks so much better on your XBOX than mine!" unless you play on a crappy TV.

Same thing for the "as intended" you don't get. Unless it's a port, the developer goes "OK..we're making a game for 360. Here's the spec sheet. It never changes. This is what we can do. Now go at it."

On the PC, the one with the bigger wallet has the better experience. There's nothing wrong with that. In the context of what the OP asked my answer makes sense.

It's not an argument for or against anything.

NIN90

Faxanadu said:
What's so hard to get? For example, You and I play on a 360 game "X"..we both have the same experience. It looks the same. All in the same resolution. Plays the same. Sounds the same. You're not going to go over to your friends house and go "Oh wow this looks so much better on your XBOX than mine!" unless you play on a crappy TV.

As I already said, why would I ever give a shit how the game looks on some other guy's screen?
Likewise, why do you care so much about that?

MoFuzz

NIN90 said:
Our dollar is just fine. I think some people just buy off the shelf towers from Best Buy or other big box stores and get shafted as far as getting bang for the buck.

I built a secondary rig in August of 2009 for roughly $450 CDN. That gave me a dual core intel chip - E5200 with 4 gigs of RAM, 500GB Hard drive, and a GeForce 9600 GSO (which only cost $40 after rebate BTW) that plays just about everything at 1440x900, using mid to high settings. 60 FPS for many games, otherwise at the bare minimum 30 for the most demanding titles.

PC's, like many things in life, benefit from research before buying.

ronito

another late comer here. But to me the one thing that PC master-racers forget is that many people just don't want to deal with another computer. As a programmer I see a computer and automatically think "work" I see a TV and a controller and think "Fun".

As much flack as consoles get the reason they largely succeed is because they're brainless. And it's great when you just want to sit down and veg. I don't want to have to worry about installation, or perf specs or a zillion possible settings. I just want to sit down and play. That's where consoles succeed and why they will continue to succeed.

Faxanadu

NIN90 said:
As I already said, why would I ever give a shit how the game looks on some other guy's screen?
Likewise, why do you care so much about that?

I don't. I gave an answer to the OP and you proceeded to be annoying about it.

Ranger X said:
So basically a console gamer is a moron breaking his controller every month that bought an arcade version Xbox 360? There are other options. Listing the worse possible conditions someone can go through doesn't make for a fair comparison. Your PC is also quite extreme, most people will pay a shiton more than that for one. And if you don't pay for more games you mean that you are pirating them...

Well I can only speak for my personal experience and experiences that I've witnessed. I think I can definitely assume from this that console gamers spend WAY more than they think they are in comparison to ma-members of the PC community...and these expenses are inherent to non-PC gaming.

Most people will pay a shit-ton because they can. I'm far from whiping my ass with money so I had to go with a budget build. And this shit performs well beyond my expectations and then some. I was so shocked because I had it beat into my head (by clueless folk) that I needed to spend break the bank to make an adequate PC.

Regardless of piracy, emulation and the like, PC games are still WAY cheaper. Two words - Steam sales. I used to get like a game a year on console, how much that has changed since I went PC is insane. And this isn't just a price argument the games I find are actually of a higher quality as well, but that's just my opinion...and although it's an opinion, no one can argue the higher tech capabilities of a PC...just sayin'.

You def got me on the PS3 point what can I say some people get lucky. I personally never cared for the system as it has no games that I care about. I`m not even going to tackle that $2200 PC.....you got money to blow obviously. I could have built like 5 PCs more powerful and reliable than any console with that....XD.

edit:On another note those saying there's no real commercial opp. in PC need to check the figures, seriously.

subversus

Faxanadu said:

you sound like you envy this guy.

it's actually one of console's shortocomings for me. If I have money and I can get a better perfomance, resolution and etc. I can have it on PC. On consoles I stuck with moronic developer's decisions like "ok, this scene has drops to 15 fps, this won't hurt player's experience at all" or "ok, fuck vsync, nobody cares about it anyway lol".

And even if all games on consoles had mandatory 30 fps or bust requirement I'd like an option to have 60 fps experience. And if some guy had it better than me then it's good for him. Actually may be I could make/save more money and improve my experience too, hmmm?

NIN90

ronito said:
As much flack as consoles get the reason they largely succeed is because they're brainless. And it's great when you just want to sit down and veg. I don't want to have to worry about installation, or perf specs or a zillion possible settings. I just want to sit down and play. That's where consoles succeed and why they will continue to succeed.

I can see why people don't want to play on a PC when the work all day with one.
But I just can't understand why people think it's such big deal actually play the games.

Installation? Steam does it for you.
Driver updates? You can roll with the same drivers for months. I update my drivers like twice a year.
Performance settings? 95% of all games automatically configure the settings for optimal performance. The other 5% have a "Set Optimal Settings" button.

Faxanadu

subversus said:
you sound like you envy this guy.

it's actually one of console's shortocomings for me. If I have money and I can get a better perfomance, resolution and etc. I can have it on PC. On consoles I stuck with moronic developer's decisions like "ok, this scene has drops to 15 fps, this won't hurt player's experience at all" or "ok, fuck vsync, nobody cares about it anyway lol".

And even if all games on consoles had mandatory 30 fps or bust requirement I'd like an option to have 60 fps experience. And if some guy had it better than me then it's good for him. Actually may be I could make/save more money and improve my experience too, hmmm?

That's cool that you like that option.

Reading comprehension is seriously lacking with a few of you. Read what I wrote again without the intention of trying to find a counter answer from the start.

Fredescu

ronito said:
another late comer here. But to me the one thing that PC master-racers forget is that many people just don't want to deal with another computer. As a programmer I see a computer and automatically think "work" I see a TV and a controller and think "Fun".
I don't understand how you're not able to separate "work pc" and "home pc". I've worked in IT for around 15 years. Almost every work day in that time has been in front of a PC, and the ones that weren't were in data centers in front of servers or other equipment. Every day, the first thing I do when I get home is switch the PC on and check the news or play a game or whatever. It never "feels" like work. I'm not saying it doesn't for you, but I don't get that mentality at all. I can't see it as anything other than a deliberate choice to see a keyboard as "work". It's not like coming home to play Team Fortress 2 in any way resembles coding at work. Did it feel like "work" to type your post?

subversus

NIN90 said:
I can see why people don't want to play on a PC when the work all day with one.
But I just can't understand why people think it's such big deal actually play the games.

Installation? Steam does it for you.
Driver updates? You can roll with the same drivers for months. I update my drivers like twice a year.
Performance settings? 95% of all games automatically configure the settings for optimal performance. The other 5% have a "Set Optimal Settings" button.

again, that's just lack of marketing. Nobody fights for PC platform except Valve. They'd fight more if they had more leverage with hardware manufacturers.

NIN90

Faxanadu said:
That's cool that you like that option.

Reading comprehension is seriously lacking with a few of you. Read what I wrote again without the intention of trying to find a counter answer from the start.

We just don't get why "everyone has the same experience that I do" is a good thing, is all.

Faxanadu

NIN90 said:
We just don't get why "everyone has the same experience that I do" is a good thing, is all.

The OP asked why bother with consoles if they are like PC's...

I offered a reason of why one would choose a console. It a legitimate reason of why people or developers would still consider consoles.

It has nothing to do with how you, me or any bleeding edge tech warrior feels about anything.

RedSwirl

legend166 said:
My 2007 machine:

Core 2 Duo E6750
8800GT
2GB RAM

Still runs everything I throw at it.

My machine is only slightly more powerful (quad-core, 3GB RAM), and same deal here. I haven't had to set any game below high settings (Bad Company 2 came close).

For most people however, console gaming is still easier.

Fredescu said:
I don't understand how you're not able to separate "work pc" and "home pc". I've worked in IT for around 15 years. Almost every work day in that time has been in front of a PC, and the ones that weren't were in data centers in front of servers or other equipment. Every day, the first thing I do when I get home is switch the PC on and check the news or play a game or whatever. It never "feels" like work. I'm not saying it doesn't for you, but I don't get that mentality at all. I can't see it as anything other than a deliberate choice to see a keyboard as "work". It's not like coming home to play Team Fortress 2 in any way resembles coding at work. Did it feel like "work" to type your post?

If all my computing experience was based around my "work" PC, I'd hate PC too. Thankfully my PC setup at home makes even work on that machine fun and enjoyable. A second monitor at 1200x1600 makes reading papers/writing/analyzing data infinitely more productive than hunching over my 13 inch monitor at work. Gaming serves as just another benefit..

subversus

Faxanadu said:
The OP asked why bother with consoles if they are like PC's...

I offered a reason of why one would choose a console. It a legitimate reason of why people or developers would still consider consoles.

It has nothing to do with how you, me or any bleeding edge tech warrior feels about anything.

ok, now I get you.

NIN90

ronito said:
no it didn't. But I didn't have to install updates or worry about my machine being able to handle firefox either.

Trust me, you don't have to worry about that when playing PC games either.

How some people get through everyday life is beyond me. Do you people constantly worry about your car blowing up, too?

Kade

bluestuff said:
As a long time PC gamer, I can attest to driver issues and games not working properly to be an annoyance. However these are minor in comparison to the the amount of money vs time a PC allots in the fast pace PC gaming world.

Let me give you an example from my own personal experience. In 2005 around the time when the xbox 360 came out, I decided to opt in for a relatively good pc for $1200(1gig ram,AMD 3500+, 7800 gt etc) to play all the latest PC games. At first games like half life 2 and oblivion looked great at the highest resolutions and graphic settings. However as time progressed and new pc exclusives came , the setting on each new game would be tuned down. Lower frame rates every steadily were achieved and games soon looked roughly the same as there 360 counterparts.

Skipping ahead to 2008 I this time built myself a pc for $1700 with all the new bells and whistles. Again swallowing the cost of pc gaming proved at first greatly beneficial as the latest call of duty and even the mighty crysis ran fine. However now a mere 2 years later ,black ops runs like shit. Games now have system requirement that are on par with my computer, meaning that there performance would be mediocre. Not to mention that PC I bought in 2005 wouldn't be able to touch any of the PC fps or rpgs coming out right now,

Simply put if I in opted for the 360 in 2005 I would have saved myself a hell of a lot of cash for a gaming experience relatively the same baring the loss of superior mouse and keyboard and higher resolutions. Now don't misunderstand that I still love pc gaming, and sc2 and wow take up great lengths of my time. But at this point getting those benefits just doesn't seem worth it where 2 computers have barely being able to outlast 1 console.

TL;DR PCs aren't cost effective at all!!

I'm using a computer that would have been considered shitty in 2007 with an ATI Radeon HD4870 and I can run Black Ops at 40+ FPS everything maxed out and games that are optimized properly at 60+ FPS. :/

Total price: $600

Fredescu

ronito said:
no it didn't. But I didn't have to install updates or worry about my machine being able to handle firefox either.
I have to install updates for firefox fairly regularly. If you're talking about the work you have to go to get a game working, in the way that you don't for consoles, I get that. That's completely understandable and something that the hardcore PCmen try desperately to downplay, and then talk up in the next breath. The way you worded it sounded like it was just the act of using a PC for anything that felt like work, which is a common enough statement, and is also completely irrational.

ronito

Fredescu said:
I have to install updates for firefox fairly regularly. If you're talking about the work you have to go to get a game working, in the way that you don't for consoles, I get that. That's completely understandable and something that the hardcore PCmen try desperately to downplay, and then talk up in the next breath. The way you worded it sounded like it was just the act of using a PC for anything that felt like work, which is a common enough statement, and is also completely irrational.
Perhaps completely irrational, but it's still a reason why consoles succeed.

Ranger X

iam220 said:
How did you get a launch ps3 for $300??
Also how did you blow $2200 on a PC?

NIN90 said:

Ok, I think you deserve an explanation. I exposed my situation in contrast of the other guy because I think they are both "anecdotal evidence" of very small value as a true argument. I bought my 60gig PS3 at launch but using an EBgames trade in deal that removed like 300$ off my bill.

As for the PC, I bought a completely new machine from head to toes. It was when the Core I7 just came out and the CPU alone was like 800$. Add the motherboard (300), 21 inch monitor (200), power supply (60-80), dvd player/burner (150), 6.5 gig of ram (200), keyb + mouse, Vista64 home Premium (200) and a RadeonHD 4860 (150). Add tax to this all and the bill is climbing extremely fast. I wish I would still find my bill to give you precise prices that's roughly what I paid here.

NIN90

Ranger X said:
Ok, I think you deserve an explanation. I exposed my situation in contrast of the other guy because I think they are both "anecdotal evidence" of very small value as a true argument. I bought my 60gig PS3 at launch but using an EBgames trade in deal that removed like 300$ off my bill.

As for the PC, I bought a completely new machine from head to toes. It was when the Core I7 just came out and the CPU alone was like 800$. Add the motherboard (300), 21 inch monitor (200), power supply (60-80), dvd player/burner (200), 6.5 gig of ram (150), keyb + mouse, Vista64 home Premium (200) and a RadeonHD 4860 (150). Add tax to this all and the bill is climbing extremely fast. I wish I would still find my bill to give you precise prices that's roughly what I paid here.

Your budgest for the CPU and motherboard were way overblown. You don't buy high end CPUs immediately when they release.
Yeah, a monitor + Windows is quite the investment too.

Fredescu

ronito said:
Perhaps completely irrational, but it's still a reason why consoles succeed.
True enough. I'm not sure that's the thrust of the thread though.

Ranger X said:
the CPU alone was like 800$
I hope you got some sweet gold plated Monster cables to connect it all together.

NIN90 said:
Your budgest for the CPU and motherboard were way overblown. You don't buy high end CPUs immediately when they release.

I feel as though almost everyone getting into building a PC makes these kinds of mistakes. My first build was relatively expensive as well (nowhere near Ranger's budget) and it was because I didn't pay enough attention to benchmarks etc... It's one of those you really need to do your research first before jumping into your build.

Curufinwe

My computer cost $1200 from Cyberpower in June 2007 (so it was only worth about $900), and my PS3 cost $255 in September 2009. Consoles and console games are pretty cheap if you're able to wait and not get them near launch.

Ranger X

lol, If I find my bill I will show it to you guys.

What's worse is that I went through ALOT of stores in Montreal and really really got the cheapest PC parts I could find. And I wanted a Corei7 right away because I needed power to render stuff and didn't want to buy a MAc...

MoFuzz

Ranger X said:

What's worse is that I went through ALOT of stores in Montreal and really really got the cheapest PC parts I could find. And I wanted a Corei7 right away because I needed power to render stuff and didn't want to buy a MAc...
For future shopping purposes, particularly on electronics/computer parts, shopbot.ca and pricecanada.com are your friends.

Or just pop into the "I need a new PC thread" on GAF and get some opinions on whether or not you're getting a good deal.

That goes for all would be buyers.

Oreoleo

Ranger X said:
What's worse is that I went through ALOT of stores in Montreal and really really got the cheapest PC parts I could find.

Aha. Never ever buy PC components at B&M unless you absolutely have to. Markups are killer to the point you could probably get the same stuff on Newegg or NCIX with next day shipping for about the same price.

Ranger X

Orellio said:
Aha. Never ever buy PC components at B&M unless you absolutely have to. Markups are killer to the point you could probably get the same stuff on Newegg or NCIX with next day shipping for about the same price.

Thing is, I remember checking online stores too and they were on par with Microbytes (where I bought my PC parts). It was either I buy a set/kit that wasn't necessarily what I wanted or either I build it myself but paying more. I chose the "paying more" in the end because I knew exactly wich PC I wanted to build.

Ranger X said:
Thing is, I remember checking online stores too and they were on par with Microbytes (where I bought my PC parts). It was either I buy a set/kit that wasn't necessarily what I wanted or either I build it myself but paying more. I chose the "paying more" in the end because I knew exactly wich PC I wanted to build.

You could've gotten comparable performance with different hardware at significantly less if you absolutely had to have it by a certain date or you could've waited slightly longer for prices to drop. Either way you paid way too much for what you got... This is why you shop by budget/performance rather than specific parts..

Curufinwe

DennisK4 said:
I play console games that are simply not available on PC or those rare occasions where the PC version is a botched port job.

Just looking at my fairly small PS360 game collection and most of them (which I've listed below) aren't actually available on the PC, and a few of them are best in class.

Alan Wake
Bayonetta
The Beatles Rock Band
Final Fantasy XIII
Ikaruga
Katamari Forever
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time
Rock Band 3
Uncharted 1 and 2
Wipeout HD Fury

vocab

Curufinwe said:
Just looking at my fairly small PS360 game collection and most of them (which I've listed below) aren't actually available on the PC, and a few of them are best in class.

Final Fantasy XIII

I can name 20 rpgs that are better than FFXIII, and they are PC exclusive.

Slavik81

Ranger X said:

For Canada:
www.directcanada.com
www.newegg.ca
www.ncix.com
www.canadacomputers.com
www.memoryexpress.com
www.tigerdirect.ca

Memory Express, NCIX and Canada Computers have a few physical locations. And I think they all price match.

Find a part. Look through those sites. Buy from the cheapest one. Or price match at a local shop.

JudgeN

Orellio said:

To be fair $300 motherboards are not uncommon, and they are fantastic hardware too. Asus P6X58D Premium is what I have and it cost $300.

$800 processor better be a 6 core i7 though or you got raped.

bluestuff said:
As a long time PC gamer, I can attest to driver issues and games not working properly to be an annoyance. However these are minor in comparison to the the amount of money vs time a PC allots in the fast pace PC gaming world.

Let me give you an example from my own personal experience. In 2005 around the time when the xbox 360 came out, I decided to opt in for a relatively good pc for $1200(1gig ram,AMD 3500+, 7800 gt etc) to play all the latest PC games. At first games like half life 2 and oblivion looked great at the highest resolutions and graphic settings. However as time progressed and new pc exclusives came , the setting on each new game would be tuned down. Lower frame rates every steadily were achieved and games soon looked roughly the same as there 360 counterparts.

Skipping ahead to 2008 I this time built myself a pc for $1700 with all the new bells and whistles. Again swallowing the cost of pc gaming proved at first greatly beneficial as the latest call of duty and even the mighty crysis ran fine. However now a mere 2 years later ,black ops runs like shit. Games now have system requirement that are on par with my computer, meaning that there performance would be mediocre. Not to mention that PC I bought in 2005 wouldn't be able to touch any of the PC fps or rpgs coming out right now,

Simply put if I in opted for the 360 in 2005 I would have saved myself a hell of a lot of cash for a gaming experience relatively the same baring the loss of superior mouse and keyboard and higher resolutions. Now don't misunderstand that I still love pc gaming, and sc2 and wow take up great lengths of my time. But at this point getting those benefits just doesn't seem worth it where 2 computers have barely being able to outlast 1 console.

TL;DR PCs aren't cost effective at all!!

well first off, Blops is a shitty game coded shittily. sounds to me like you didn't spend wisely. but to put in perspective, my girlsfriends 2007 dell XPS 410 witha GTX 8800 ultra can still run 90% of games at 60 frames and the punishing ones, (metro 2033, STALKER : COP are 25-30 and under) it's not bad at all when you consider PC tech advances quicker than console tech.

Oreoleo

JudgeN said:
To be fair $300 motherboards are not uncommon, and they are fantastic hardware too. Asus P6X58D Premium is what I have and it cost $300.

$800 processor better be a 6 core i7 though or you got raped.

Yeah, you're right. Especially if you go SLI or whatever. I don't think I've ever spent more than $150 on a mobo so it stuck out to me anyway. Definitely not the most offensively priced item on his list, though.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
well first off, Blops is a shitty game coded shittily. sounds to me like you didn't spend wisely. but to put in perspective, my girlsfriends 2007 dell XPS 410 witha GTX 8800 ultra can still run 90% of games at 60 frames and the punishing ones, (metro 2033, STALKER : COP are 25-30 and under) it's not bad at all when you consider PC tech advances quicker than console tech.

That and 25-30 FPS is nothing to scoff at if it's still at better than 720p resolution.

Top Bottom