• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles are just like PCs now, why bother with consoles then?

kpeezy

Banned
I bought my i7 920 for $300 November 2008 the day after release. $30 off the initial price through mwave. Overclocked to 3.8Ghz with a $50 cooler. Which version i7 did you get? Or maybe it was because of where you live?

mclem

Actually, a mild variant of 'comfy couch':

I live in a shared house. I have a huge telly (which is mine) downstairs - with, actually, a MythTV box (which isn't mine) hooked up to it - plus my consoles. I also play a lot of World of Warcraft on my bedroom PC. If I were to shift my PC downstairs from my bedroom, I would be monopolising the television for an unreasonable length of time every night, which isn't fair on my housemates.

Having said that, if I were to get a house of my own, I'd certainly think quite seriously about a downstairs PC.

The Last Guardian is not on PC. neither is Red Dead Redemption. or Journey. or. Demon's Souls. etc.

PC has almost nothing for my tastes, although i might upgrade mine so i can play Amnesia and the first Mass Effect... but that's about it and i'm not in a hurry.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
iam220 said:
If you don't enjoy PC gaming there's no reason to buy a gaming PC. Obviously. The issue is that you don't have a gaming PC and that you're using experiences with your laptop to try and demonstrate that PC gaming is a hassle. I'm sure, that with your laptop, it is a hassle. The problem is that your experience is not exactly indicative of a dedicated gaming system, which just about every mainly-PC gamer here has. It's similar of course, they both share the same software but the hardware was never meant to primarily play games and that has its own set of consequences.

If you want to argue that your average laptop is worse for gaming than a dedicated console, than fine, I might even agree with you, but when gaming on your PC, the best option is always a custom build, dedicated, desktop setup. That's what PC gamers here have and that's what they're comparing consoles to in this discussion.
Which problems I cited are present on a laptop but not on a PC? I can only see one additional "problem": Having more work to build a PC compared to buying a laptop.

Yoshi said:
Which problems I cited are present on a laptop but not on a PC? I can only see one additional "problem": Having more work to build a PC compared to buying a laptop.
The only advantage in your situation would be that a dedicated gaming PC has a better performance/cost ratio than mobile technology so it should be cheaper.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
astroturfing said:
The Last Guardian is not on PC. neither is Red Dead Redemption. or Journey. or. Demon's Souls. etc.

PC has almost nothing for my tastes, although i might upgrade mine so i can play Amnesia and the first Mass Effect... but that's about it and i'm not in a hurry.

Judging from your tastes you also have missed The Witcher, Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines.

Curufinwe

vocab said:
I can name 20 rpgs that are better than FFXIII, and they are PC exclusive.

FFXIII is the weakest game on the list (even though I enjoyed it) so I don't doubt that. It doesn't affect my point that there are a ton of great games that are still console exclusive, even for people like me who aren't into Nintendo games at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Curufinwe said:
FFXIII is the weakest game on the list (even though I enjoyed it) so I don't doubt that. It doesn't affect my point that there are a ton of great games that are still console exclusive, even for people like me who aren't into Nintendo games at all.

yes, that's for sure.

iam220

Yoshi said:

hardware incompatibility. You're more likely to experience it with a proprietary laptop setup than your standard gaming desktop.

Xavien

gutter_trash said:
games that are unavailable on PC + sitting on the coach comfort

Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my PC games on my couch playing them with my xbox 360 wireless controller in glorious 1080p HD at 60fps on my 42" Panasonic Plasma, experiencing amazing 5.1 sound from my AV receiver and speaker setup.

Once i'm done with that, ill switch to my monitor with a single key-press and get on with some work.

Hell i can even control windows from my "comfy couch" with the use of a wiimote and a bluetooth dongle.

Comfy couch argument is stupid because PC's are ridiculously flexible.

Top Bottom