• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles are PCs now and its uninteresting.

it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with, or even when every console had different hardware and games looked different. sometimes same game was completely different from one system to an another

the PS4 and xbox including pro versions are practically near identical. and the next gen consoles will be even more similar. is there even a point of calling them console at this point? they are PCs pretty much all of their games are available on PC through streaming service or just playing the PC version.

its lame. there is no reason to own the piece of hardware really.

I too miss when systems were different from one another. I like when Nintendo experiements with the controllers for example, enabling possibilities like asymmetric local multiplayer (great for gatherings!) with the Gamepad as an example. The Wii got my dad, usually against games, to try some gaming for himself with Wii Sports. I do like it that the same name game could be vastly different from one system to another: like Aladdin Genesis vs. SNES for example. Yea these days, it does feel like the systems are the same, with no differentiating qualities to them the way previous generations were. Even though they're technically the same generation, look at how different the Gamecube was from say the Dreamcast. Different controllers, different games, different features to the systems. It wasn't perfect always, but I miss the different identities consoles used to have.

it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with, or even when every console had different hardware and games looked different. sometimes same game was completely different from one system to an another

the PS4 and xbox including pro versions are practically near identical. and the next gen consoles will be even more similar. is there even a point of calling them console at this point? they are PCs pretty much all of their games are available on PC through streaming service or just playing the PC version.

Yeah, I do miss the days when it was advantageous and a unique experience to own multiple consoles. Now to me they all generally feel the same with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
If only there was a certain type of experience that could only be had on a video game console.

Whats the word.. Gaymes? Gaems? Surely the OP know's about those.

Unless he thinks they all games suck. Well that would be a different story.

Non PC exclusives make hardware worth owning. Not everyone wants to sit at a desk to game.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I agree to an extent. I like seeing unique hardware and what devs can do with them. But at the same time it's better to make things easier/simpler for devs. Also the porting aspect not being too difficult.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I completely agree with you OP. This was the first gen that I didn't buy a console at all and went PC only. Not only are they basically using tweaked PC parts but it's also the fact that the two competing machines are so similar. Plus, the design of consoles isn't interesting anymore... they just look like slick black media boxes. I miss the design of dreamcast, the purple gamecube, SNES, etc... I wish they'd go back to offering translucent colors as an option too like the N64 and gameboys. Older consoles had really interesting architecture like the PS3 with Cell and it was cool to see what developers could get out of the hardware, how games had graphical differences between systems due to the architecture of the various systems out at the time, etc... Also, I'm really glad that most games are available on PC nowadays but it also makes it less compelling to get a console.

I better stop now, I'm starting to sound like an old man and I'm only in my early thirties haha.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

That's one crazy looking PC tho.

hY1FaKL.jpg

Great Hair

Banned
Games were made on proprietary engines. Now they all use U3, U4 or Unity. Cuphead feels like a game from the past, a true console game. If the developer were like other contemporary ones, they would have given the enemies, the bosses and both playable characters a fat healthbar over their heads. And on top of that some extra visuals indicating the gamer, he or she is about to run out of ammo.

Useless crap that clutters the screen, that no one really requires. TOO MUCH INFO!! Less on screen the better. You could smell and see a game made with U3 ... In todays game, everything feels generated with 1-click tools.

Shenmue 3 is an ugly game to me, so much that i have problems getting into it. It looks and feel estranged to me. Shenmue 1 would be stellar if it had the textures from Shemue 3, but in reverse Shemue 3 would look terrible with the assets from Shenmue 1 simply because one is open world (more shit on screen to render, more info aka distractions) and the other is a hand-crafted linear video game, where every store, every npc got their special care.

Who we blame this? In the console hemisphere i would point my finger towards Microsoft and their "Broadband Mentalit" - "Online Trashtalking" "Multiplayer" ... which originated on the PC.

Also FUCK YOU GENKI!!! Ya lazy piece of shitheads ... can we at least get a remaster of Tokyo Xtreme Zero!? NO?​

VFXVeteran

Banned

It removes the console warring.. Thank god!

Platform doesn't matter anymore. Game driven industry now.

Leonidas

At least the Switch is different.

Consoles are too redundant these days and I feel silly having them on the same desk as my PC knowing my PC could be running those games so much better. In a perfect world I'd be able to play all the games on my PC.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It was a bit different back then because a lot of console games were ports of PC games, being done by completely different studios for different machines. Thats why Quake 2 and the like were so different on PS1, N64 etc. Nowadays games are built for consoles first, usually inhouse, so each version will look pretty much the same ,power withstanding.

Thaedolus

That's a slightly more powerful Nvidia Shield tablet with TV output.

I guess all Nvidia had to do was make their Shield tablet slightly more powerful with TV output and it would've sold like gangbusters then.

Also: LOL op. Gamers spend a ridiculous amount of time consolidating all their consoles into one system with emulation boxes and shit and anyone's gonna be sad about eliminating software locked to one specific piece of hardware? You know how much shit I've had to deal with trying to get Dreamcast games to run on busted ass hardware with no good replacement? Bring on the unified hardware future.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Which is an amazing trend, the possibility of just having a PC for the whole next generation is getting much higher, with mods and more customizable options, I always prefer PC version of a game, the only games I might from time to time are the Nintendo ones.

Chromata

I disagree. It's better to have consoles like PCs for a few reasons:

1) It makes devs more likely to utilize the extra power of PCs since things will scale more nicely. This gen had many excellent PC ports, something lacking in the gen before.

2) Less shitty multiplats on consoles too. How many versions of games were gimped on PS3 because developing for it was so different? A lot. This gen we've largely had games that did justice to the hardware they were on.

3) Backwards compatibility is essentially ensured thanks to this.

If you want unique, go Nintendo. Xbox and Playstation were never that different beyond their exclusive offerings anyways. They just take turns making new features which the other one copies.

We must accept we have only 2 console makers left now. MS can be considered pc company with option to buy xbox for convenience purposes.

So switch and ps4 remain, which are pretty unique and I feel we will get something unique from Nintendo instead of switch 2. Though I would be perfectly happy if it were switch 2.

GymWolf

No they are not lol...

Simple people who only wants to play without much hassle are always gonna prefer consoles.

Also you can't tailor your experience on console like you do on pc.

That's why console wars these days are completely meaningless. It was something understandable in the past, but ever since the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation it is basically laughable at best.

Meanwhile PC gaming itself is held back because of the "consolization" of games. There was a time when it was great when you owned multiple consoles and a PC - all delivering distinct experiences.

There was a time when one game was also radically different on multiple platforms. Nowadays there's basically no difference between multi-platform games. There was a certain personality to platforms that has been lost.

Gaming has become thoroughly homogenized on the level of architecture, use of engines, types of games; mediocrity dominates and so I felt it was no longer worth it supporting the current state of affairs. I've said it before; gaming has become too big for it's own sake; everybody is seen as a potential consumer, not just the few "geeks of the past", and because of it the industry is playing it safe and seeks to "appease everybody".

In retrospect, SEGA's Dreamcast was arguably the last console that was home to fresh and unique experiences. And while subsequent consoles were solid, they ultimately brought nothing new to the table.

Last edited:

RScrewed

I don't know OP's history, but I agree.

A lot of agree. Couldn't agree more.

Hardware console wars made sense when it was high clocked CPU vs low clocked multi function processor, FM synthesizer vs sampled audio playback, disc vs cartridge; you know, the design that made your camp unique and grabbed your imagination for the possibilities.

Sony and Microsoft literally has their fanbases at each other's throats based on which APU they decided to go with from a predesigned bin, lol.

Ascend

It's true, and Microsoft is aware of this. There's a reason they are basically fusing the Xbox consoles with Windows.

H4ze

Weird flex, but ok.

They still offer me features and games my PC doesn't. I own a high-end PC, PS4, Xbone and Switch too, and all of them are getting used, always for a different reason.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo and Sony are still pushing from the hardware side of things (VR, touchpads, motion control) but many developers are choosing to stick with yearly refreshes.

If we blame anyone, corpulent AAA third-party devs (EA, ActiBlizz, Ubisoft) keep insisting on more uniform specs, similar CPUs between PC and consoles, similar power, similar hardware, etc for the sake of easy porting. Remember the mini-controversy of DOOM devs adding gyro aiming to the Switch version, as if the idea was such a scandalous thing?

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with, or even when every console had different hardware and games looked different. sometimes same game was completely different from one system to an another.

*Whines about uninteresting consoles.
*Fails to mention the one console that is a hybrid portable/home console and has detachable controllers with HD rumble and motion controls that is currently outselling XBox One

You know what? I love it when people forget about Nintendo. Then I get to see their reactions when they’re all like “Waaaaaat? The Switch is the best selling console this Christmas season?”

That reaction warms my Grinch’s heart.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Switch is interesting, but the fact that it has become a machine for shitty ports kind of undermines its appeal. The other consoles... like apparently Bayonetta and Vanquish are getting “remasters” which are just ports of years old PC versions that don’t run them as well as that did. The problem is there has been an awful lot of these ports this gen as companies padded out their libraries.

Sony’s machine has had nice exclusives but go back to PS1 or PS2 and the libraries were virtually distinct. It was a lot more interesting.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a feeling the next generation is going to rock a lot of people's console beliefs.

The times, they are chaaaaaanging.

Next gen of consoles is still PC hardware, running PC-derived APIs. This dynamic is not going to change, even if the hardware is nice for the cost. The Scarlett is going to be possibly the least interesting console ever considering all first party games launch on PC same day.

dilbag

my only gripe with consoles is install times and how much data a game takes up on a console now. external hard drivers are basically a must in todays world. It also sucks when you buy a new game and come home only to have to install it which can take up quite a bit of time. The days of put the game in and start playing right away are gone. Day one patches also plague all platforms now which really blows.

on the other hand it is nice having online play, cross play/saves. so it does have some major perks.

Journey

Banned
Strange. I have a high-end PC, PS4 Pro, XBX and Switch and they have all provided unique and good experiences.

Nothing strange about that, this topic is just another anti-console pro PC gamer propaganda, nothing to see here, move along.

Top Bottom