• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles are PCs now and its uninteresting.

Lanrutcon

Next gen of consoles is still PC hardware, running PC-derived APIs. This dynamic is not going to change, even if the hardware is nice for the cost. The Scarlett is going to be possibly the least interesting console ever considering all first party games launch on PC same day.

I mean more in terms of identity, the experience, the culture, etc. Hardware is hardware. If the fineprint on hardware specs excite you then you've probably already jumped ship and gotten a gaming rig like the rest of us :p

Ryu Kaiba

I disagree. It's better to have consoles like PCs for a few reasons:

1) It makes devs more likely to utilize the extra power of PCs since things will scale more nicely. This gen had many excellent PC ports, something lacking in the gen before.

2) Less shitty multiplats on consoles too. How many versions of games were gimped on PS3 because developing for it was so different? A lot. This gen we've largely had games that did justice to the hardware they were on.

3) Backwards compatibility is essentially ensured thanks to this.

If you want unique, go Nintendo. Xbox and Playstation were never that different beyond their exclusive offerings anyways. They just take turns making new features which the other one copies.

Smartest person in this thread.

If you took away all the benefits of standardization everyone in here would be complaining about 1000 other things.
Furthermore some of the best games of every generation are from platform holders that are able to money hat the hell out of their studios because their goal is to sell consoles.

Kazza

I fucking hate this "argument". Who in the year 2019 needs to sit at a desk for PC-gaming? Who? People who put their gaming PC somewhere else than the rest of their electronic entertainment stuff! Ergo stupid people! That's who!

Of course you need to sit at a desk in order to game on PC, else where are you going to place your mouse and keyboard (because everyone knows that it's next to impossible to use controllers on PC......... :messenger_beaming: )

Consoles are focused. When you play games on PC unless you’re doing big picture mode on the couch with a controller there’s always the possibility of doing other stuff and that can actually be distracting - even messing with settings and ini files and mods etc, although I love that stuff. Consoles have a purity about them that PCs lack. Freedom in limitation.

Consoles are focused. When you play games on PC unless you’re doing big picture mode on the couch with a controller there’s always the possibility of doing other stuff and that can actually be distracting - even messing with settings and ini files and mods etc, although I love that stuff. Consoles have a purity about them that PCs lack. Freedom in limitation.
I have a relatively new TV with all that 4k and HDR and the likes... To get the "best" picture out of my PS4 Pro, I have to tweak more shit than in the friggin' graphics customization of any PC game... So yeah, "focused". That consol can be customized to read my multimedia-drive from the PC to play songs I like while playing and to play the movie files I have on there. I can customize the menu and i can rearrange (in a limited way) how my "apps" are sorted, I can even fucking customize where the sound should come from. My soundbar, or the headset adapter in my controller? Or why not directly through the shitty little speaker built into the controller?

So yeah, if you are easily distracted from gaming, this-gen-consoles will do you no favor either.

*exaggerations possible :)

TheContact

the OP says consoles are like PCs because they are similar to each other, yet also laments the lack of third party customization (which the PC has SO many of) so I'm not sure what the point he's trying to make is.
Consoles were always computers

(Atari 2600)
VV5iq3vUCpG5fpOI.medium

(NES)
IMG_1565.0.0.jpg

The big difference between earlier consoles and today's is that the former used unique, secretive chipsets while the latter is using a more common one. If the argument that consoles are becoming more like PCs because they aren't as customizable I don't understand that. In terms of having different graphics, that was because of the unique hardware that was put in each system. The genesis had the very technically ambigious marketing term "blast processing" but it really just meant that the genesis was overall faster than the SNES, which could render sprites faster on the screen and gave rise to the Sonic franchise because of how it distinguished itself from slower side scrolling games like Mario. Consoles were always computers, they will always be computers. In terms of third party support, like customization, a lot of that comes down to licensing and protecting the brand and its hardware.

Consoles don't have even half the utility of PCs. What has changed is an abandonment of exotic architectures in favor of more traditional parts which made it easier for developers to develop their games on all systems. A call back to the older way of developing consoles is just asking to have shitier ports for the most part

joe_zazen

It removes the console warring.. Thank god!

Platform doesn't matter anymore. Game driven industry now.

people are still tribal, they will just fight under different banners in the future, whether that is Amazon v MS v Google corporate game brands, or some other company, idk. I think we will look back fondly on the days of console warring as a simpler, more wholesome and less manipulative time.

it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with, or even when every console had different hardware and games looked different. sometimes same game was completely different from one system to an another

the PS4 and xbox including pro versions are practically near identical. and the next gen consoles will be even more similar. is there even a point of calling them console at this point? they are PCs pretty much all of their games are available on PC through streaming service or just playing the PC version.

its lame. there is no reason to own the piece of hardware really.
Console exclusive games, brah.

johntown

Banned
Sure at the core hardware it is a glorified PC but the actually experience on console greatly differs from PC.

spons

Gold Member
The hardware may be similar but the concept of these walled-garden computing devices is vastly different.

Mainstream gaming in general is less playful and more homogenized as time goes on. (Dat money)

Thankfully there's always a simmering undercurrent of freshness below the crusty, stale surface.

I do also miss unique hardware though OP.

DESTROYA

I don't think ive seen the op praise anything here. Why even bother if you hate gaming so much?

The only threads i see from the OP are complaining about something or other , never seen a positive thing mentioned ever.
I agree. I haven't seen him talk about a game he likes.

They way he goes on I’m not sure gaming as a hobby is enjoyable.
No they are not lol...

Simple people who only wants to play without much hassle are always gonna prefer consoles.

Good point consoles are a cheaper alternative to PC gaming without that the hassle of customizing and simplifies options.

*Whines about uninteresting consoles.
*Fails to mention the one console that is a hybrid portable/home console and has detachable controllers with HD rumble and motion controls that is currently outselling XBox One

You know what? I love it when people forget about Nintendo. Then I get to see their reactions when they’re all like “Waaaaaat? The Switch is the best selling console this Christmas season?”

That reaction warms my Grinch’s heart.

Exactly some people dismiss the Nintendo Switch like it’s doesn’t exist but Nintendo is getting the last laugh.
Disagree.

Also you can't tailor your experience on console like you do on pc.
One great reason to buy SONY and Nintendo consoles , the great exclusives they bring to the table

Airbus Jr

Banned
Every time i saw SlashBringer thread it usually about him shiting on something so im kinda used to it

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Xbox I agree. Everything is on PC, no real reason to own one.
Sony has great exclusives. The only saving grace for the console.
Switch is different.

I'd argue PC+Switch as the best combo if you can live without playing God of War.

Paltheos

I realize this topic is a dig against modern consoles, but you're unintentionally slighting PCs by implying their performance is near the level of consoles, and this cannot go unabated.

I object, sir.

it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with,

It is certainly lamentable. Of the three main hardware makers now, I think only Nintendo has constantly tried to have some unique/gimmicky hardware that can lead to new experiences and this is particularly true after the Gamecube.

Nintendo has definitely had misses with their hits and I think they've learnt from the monetary sting of the Wii U.

Look at how they market Switch as a game console/portable, while keeping the hardware gimmicks separate as best as they can (eg. Labo, Ring Fit Adventure).

I do wish they'd have more unique Joycons instead of just colour variants but I suppose that's what happens when you are juggling profits with creativity.

Nero_PR

Banned
If only there was a certain type of experience that could only be had on a video game console.

Whats the word.. Gaymes? Gaems? Surely the OP know's about those.

Unless he thinks they all games suck. Well that would be a different story.

Non PC exclusives make hardware worth owning. Not everyone wants to sit at a desk to game.
You mean Gems, right? Those are pretty unique to consoles, or so was told to me.

As consoles become more and more similar, I've become less interested in them as I think the console manufacturers now have to go out of their way to still limit games to their platforms to sell people a box.

I can pull an SSD full of Steam/Win10/etc games off my Intel/Nvidia PC, go to my friend's house, and plug it into his AMD/AMD PC. After signing in to my account every single game works. I can unplug the SSD again and take it out to my cabin, plug it into my laptop out there and every game works. They don't care what device the games are on, they sold me a game and I can use it wherever I want.

I can play my PC from my couch with a simple cable going to my receiver. Console exclusives work just fine across devices too. I play Xbox games across three entirely different devices with no issues. I can even use the same controller for all three. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with Sony's games, other than they want you to buy their box. The truth is, there are a handful of PS exclusive games I'd buy tomorrow if they didn't come anchored to another box and Sony would make more from me if they were more open to this.

Last edited:

Fbh

Modern console are shit, modern gaming is shit and everything was better before? Must be a SlashBringingHasher thread!!!.

Even if I were to take the premise of this thread as a fact. You make it sound like by buying a PC you can play the vast majority of games released today, often the best version of these games too..... and that's somehow bad?
How is the old alternative of having to own multiple consoles with their own set of gimmicky features better?

VFXVeteran

Banned
It was a bit different back then because a lot of console games were ports of PC games, being done by completely different studios for different machines. Thats why Quake 2 and the like were so different on PS1, N64 etc. Nowadays games are built for consoles first, usually inhouse, so each version will look pretty much the same ,power withstanding.

That's not true. They are still built on PCs and ported down.

TBH as predominantly a PC gamer I find it MORE interesting. As time passes and I have less free time than before (career, wife, house upkeep, hopefully kids soon) I'm over fucking troubleshooting shit. In the last year I'd say that I've dropped maybe 3-5 games completely due to issues getting them to work. If a console can offer KB/M I'm all console from now on with a laptop on the side for browsing/work from home.

Just my personal take.

Stuart360

That's not true. They are still built on PCs and ported down.
All games are built on PC's. I'm talking about in like the PS1/PS2 gens, consoles got a lot of ports of PC games, which doesnt happen much these days and games are made FOR consoles first these days, with the PC getting the ports these days. Not that games are DEVELOPED on consoles, of course they arent.

Zog

Banned
At least the Switch is different.
Sure but inferior ports don't play to it's strengths. Remember the days of wondering what Paper Mario would look like on the PS1 or what Wind Waker would look like on the PS2?

Nero_PR

Banned
As consoles become more and more similar, I've become less interested in them as I think the console manufacturers now have to go out of their way to still limit games to their platforms to sell people a box.

I can pull an SSD full of Steam/Win10/etc games off my Intel/Nvidia PC, go to my friend's house, and plug it into his AMD/AMD PC. After signing in to my account every single game works. I can unplug the SSD again and take it out to my cabin, plug it into my laptop out there and every game works. They don't care what device the games are on, they sold me a game and I can use it wherever I want.

I can play my PC from my couch with a simple cable going to my receiver. Console exclusives work just fine across devices too. I play Xbox games across three entirely different devices with no issues. I can even use the same controller for all three. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with Sony's games, other than they want you to buy their box. The truth is, there are a handful of PS exclusive games I'd buy tomorrow if they didn't come anchored to another box and Sony would make more from me if they were more open to this.
This is the kind of future that I like. The moment every platform goes full streaming, is the day gaming lost another battle against corporate Greed.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I fucking hate this "argument". Who in the year 2019 needs to sit at a desk for PC-gaming? Who? People who put their gaming PC somewhere else than the rest of their electronic entertainment stuff! Ergo stupid people! That's who!

Who gets mad at a post on a discussion forum.

Like I apologize. I didn’t mean to make anyone angry.

Plenty of people live stream pc games from a desk on twitch.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
it was always interesting to me that different consoles had cool accessories or features that allowed a game developer to do something unique with, or even when every console had different hardware and games looked different. sometimes same game was completely different from one system to an another

the PS4 and xbox including pro versions are practically near identical. and the next gen consoles will be even more similar. is there even a point of calling them console at this point? they are PCs pretty much all of their games are available on PC through streaming service or just playing the PC version.

2 questions:
What are you smokin'?... and can I hit it?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not everyone wants to sit at a desk to game.

Ev2Fkya.png

While I also do gaming on consoles and a big TV..and a comfy chair/sofa, these days very few PC gamers are "sitting at a desk". With an endless selection of gaming chairs and comfortable configurations to choose from you don't at all need to feel like you're back at the office.. Many of us even use controllers while we're at it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The funny thing is there are who begging every console exclusives should comes to PC and now we get thread like this.

Some of people here no longer know what they want anymore, they just want complain for sake of complaining and say “good old days”.

At some point doesn’t this gets tiring?

anthraticus

Banned
Yeah, I do miss the days when it was advantageous and a unique experience to own multiple consoles. Now to me they all generally feel the same with a few exceptions.
Yea, you use to be able to just look at/listen to a game and be able to tell what system it was for. Now everything is so samey.
.. and also without the rampant cheating and with AAA exclusives and physical copies I actually own that I can lend to friends or resell.
Don't play mp games, so that has zero effect on me and they can keep the AAA popamole.

Last edited:

Correction Xbox is pc not consoles, everything on Xbox is available on pc, playstation still keeps its exclusives and only playable on playstation and Nintendo is Nintendo it's Microsoft who bought Xbox into this pc world by the way pc and Xbox are both Microsoft's properties

SleepDoctor

Banned
Every forum much like every neighborhood has a dog that walks around from lawn to lawn taking a shit before just wandering off to the next one without a care or ounce of thought.

Pretty obvious it was just bait. He never came back to his own thread lol.

StormCell

Nintendo and Sony are still pushing from the hardware side of things (VR, touchpads, motion control) but many developers are choosing to stick with yearly refreshes.

If we blame anyone, corpulent AAA third-party devs (EA, ActiBlizz, Ubisoft) keep insisting on more uniform specs, similar CPUs between PC and consoles, similar power, similar hardware, etc for the sake of easy porting. Remember the mini-controversy of DOOM devs adding gyro aiming to the Switch version, as if the idea was such a scandalous thing?

You didn't get enough love for this response. Blame the publishers for the lack of variety in gaming. They often don't take advantage of console exclusive features, and the more unique the hardware is the less likely it is to get support.

I, too, miss when there was a much greater variety of sports titles, even competing wrestling titles, and there was a sort of competition among studios to come up with the better ideas for their games. Nowadays, it's large game development feels entirely formulaic. Even games like Horizon Zero Dawn feel like they're just playing from a script on how to make a successful big budget video game.

thelastword

Banned

There are many reasons to own the piece of hardware as 102 million PS consoles would tell you, (much more after the holidays btw)…….Consoles can no longer chase the exotic route, the differentiator has never been better colors on Saturn vs PS2/SNES or the like, the difference was always what games you had, what games people gravitated to and that is still the winning formula.....

What would you have Sony do, go another 4 Billion in R&D like they did for Cell just to say they are exotic? So gamers and devs could complain for an eternity that the kit was hard to program for or so that said game companies could tumble and almost go bankrupt like Sony? You have to make wise decisions to stay alive in the biz......Besides, at this point, PC is very much a part of our gaming culture, there is nothing to be ashamed of there...….AMD makes solutions for all types of form factors, it's not exclusive to PC......As a matter of fact because of consoles, AMD has pushed so much engineering and technology to pushing the envelope for smaller nodes, more efficient designs, multi-gpu approaches to put more silicon on a wafer, that benefits consoles tremendously, because we can now get more power on an SFF.......If anything these next gen of consoles will finally push the elements that have stagnated for so long......Physics, Ai, Loadtimes, Larger immersive worlds........PC had the kit all the time, but it's only going to be utilized in 2020, since all consoles will have a high common spec, that even PC devs will be familiar with, so instead of devs fighting to get familiarized with new architecture, documentation, api's and the like.....They will be 100% focused on the game and pushing the gaming experience forward...….

At the end of the day, it's all about the games, not the hardware...…...Just like VR, is it the VR kit or is it, Astrobot, Moss, RE7, Beat Saber etc.. making the difference....I'd say it's the latter, it has always been the latter.....

Top Bottom