• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONTROL | PS5 - Xbox Series X - PC | Performance vs Graphics Modes Comparison | Frame Rate Test

SkylineRKR

Tbh the RT is this game is not worth it, I'm not impressed and what I've played so far it doesn't add to the immersion while playing the game 60fps is the way to go.

Exactly my sentiments after trying it for an hour. The game gets a fuzzy look, esp in motion. puddles etc still look kinda blurry or low res. Its not worth it as the 60fps is snappy as fuck and holds up during massive firefights with all kinds of shit flying around.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is an odd take. The X1 and X Series are the only consoles that came out at the same time as PlayStations. X360 as you noted performed better and the original Xbox and X1X also performed better. This gen is largely a wash with Hitman 3 being the only title that has a significant advantage on one console and it was not the PS5. Meaning the X1 was the only console that consistently performed worse than the PS4 and that wasn't much of a game console but some sort of media concoction.

Pretty sure the differences in this game will be minimal but a 59.75 vs 58.5 fps advantage is obviously a clear win for the PS5 and I won't take away from it. Congrats Sony.
That's the point the other guy was raising. X1X performed better than Pro because it came a year later. Also, it was $100 more expensive.

Fredrik

This is an odd take. The X1 and X Series are the only consoles that came out at the same time as PlayStations. X360 as you noted performed better and the original Xbox and X1X also performed better. This gen is largely a wash with Hitman 3 being the only title that has a significant advantage on one console and it was not the PS5. Meaning the X1 was the only console that consistently performed worse than the PS4 and that wasn't much of a game console but some sort of media concoction.

Pretty sure the differences in this game will be minimal but a 59.75 vs 58.5 fps advantage is obviously a clear win for the PS5 and I won't take away from it. Congrats Sony.
It’s not that the losses has been huge, probably wouldn’t be noticed without frame graphs and 400% zoom, but when you’re hyping the power for half a year with 12TF and rdna 2.0 and all that it’s essentially a loss when the performance is the same.

I bought the Series X instead of PS5 because I wanted the best performance in multiplats and because I wanted a a bunch of new 1st party games sitting in my Gamepass tab waiting to be played day 1 without paying extra.
I didn’t get any of that.

I know things will get better in the future but that’s my point, if they have no games ready they could’ve released the console later and had more games and better hardware. They had all eggs in the Halo basket and then they smashed that and ended up with the weirdest 1st party game draught I’ve ever seen + weaker multiplat performance.

Last edited:
Yeah. MS is no doubt getting better at hardware but if you think about it they rarely outperform their competitors in simultaneous launches. They usually come in a bit later when they’re better. Xbox One X was better than Pro because it came a year later. Xbox had the same advantage over PS2. Xbox 360 is the exception but I’d say it was because crazy Ken had an idea that didn’t work out.
Considering they have no games ready I think they should’ve launched Series X in late 2021 or early 2022 instead, with better hardware. It’s no doubt the worst launch and launch window I’ve ever experienced. And the tools excuse is a meme at this point.

That said, I’m disappointed at both consoles regarding performance. AMD is completely ruining the raytracing capabilities from the look of it. I bet it’ll be no or low RT at 60fps or low or medium RT at 30fps throughout this whole gen.
Yes I hate, that we have to already sacrifice 60fps if we want ray tracing. Although it’s understandable because at this price point higher specs are just not affordable, as far as I know, they are even with this specs loosing money with their hardware sales. But it is surely not a good starting point for this console generation, as games get more demanding I fear we could even see the return to 1080p at 30fps...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I slowly doubt that it is the missing tools that gives PS5 so often the advantage. There was some talk a while ago that Microsoft is investigating why the PS5 outperforms the XBOX sometimes. If it would be the missing tools or the delayed delivery of such tools, it should be clear for Microsoft and an investigation would not be required. I honestly think that Microsoft just looked at the numbers when building their system, while Sony not chosen the strongest parts, but focused more that every single part is running in harmony with each other. It’s like when building a PC, just putting blindly the strongest parts on paper in your system does not guarantee you the best performance.
It always seemed like an excuse or a narrative that came out of thin air. Let's look at the facts:
  • Sony and MS released next-gen console specs. Xbox highlights the 12 TF when PS5 is 10 TF.
  • Multiple developers (and Mark Cerny) mentions that TF doesn't paint the entire picture. It is something developers don't even look at or discuss when developing games.
  • Andrea Pessino (from RAD) said, "within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs."
  • Developers even said that PS5 (not XSX) is the most exciting hardware in the last 20 years.
  • Xbox fanboys continued, "Lol. Xbox is more powerful. This is a fact. Just wait for DF comparisons. XSX will destroy PS5."
  • No one even mentioned "tools" or "APIs" or "GDK" until then.
  • In fact, before launch and comparisons, Dirt 5 developer said this about Xbox tools and GDK: " I’ve never worked on a console launch where, while we’re still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with."
  • Consoles launched.
  • Comparisons came and showed a PS5 advantage. *Xbox fanboys surprise Pikachu face*
  • The tools narrative came out of nowhere. Suddenly, it was the missing tools for which there is absolutely no evidence.
  • In fact, Xbox developer documents surfaced that showed that Xbox GDK was available to developers since November 2019

Last edited:

sendit

It always seemed like an excuse or a narrative that came out of thin air. Let's look at the facts:
  • Sony and MS released next-gen console specs. Xbox highlights the 12 TF when PS5 is 10 TF.
  • Multiple developers (and Mark Cerny) mentions that TF doesn't paint the entire picture. It is something developers don't even look at or discuss when developing games.
  • Andrea Pessino (from RAD) said, "within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs."
  • Developers even said that PS5 (not XSX) is the most exciting hardware in the last 20 years.
  • Xbox fanboys continued, "Lol. Xbox is more powerful. This is a fact. Just wait for DF comparisons. XSX will destroy PS5."
  • In fact, before launch and comparisons, Dirt 5 developer said this about Xbox tools and GDK: " I’ve never worked on a console launch where, while we’re still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with."
  • Consoles launched.
  • Comparisons came and showed a PS5 advantage.
  • The tools narrative came out of nowhere. Suddenly, it was the missing tools for which there is absolutely no evidence.
  • In fact, Xbox developer documents surfaced that showed that Xbox GDK was available to developers since November 2019

Great post. This sums up 2020 in a nutshell.

sinnergy

Yeah. MS is no doubt getting better at hardware but if you think about it they rarely outperform their competitors in simultaneous launches. They usually come in a bit later when they’re better. Xbox One X was better than Pro because it came a year later. Xbox had the same advantage over PS2. Xbox 360 is the exception but I’d say it was because crazy Ken had an idea that didn’t work out.
Considering they have no games ready I think they should’ve launched Series X in late 2021 or early 2022 instead, with better hardware. It’s no doubt the worst launch and launch window I’ve ever experienced. And the tools excuse is a meme at this point.

That said, I’m disappointed at both consoles regarding performance. AMD is completely ruining the raytracing capabilities from the look of it. I bet it’ll be no or low RT at 60fps or low or medium RT at 30fps throughout this whole gen.
These consoles 1.5 year ago wouldn’t even have ray tracing , DF also didn’t think so, now they do , people are still disappointed 😞 comparing it to 600 and up pc gpus

I remember when x360 was the lead of the market, it was exactly the same. There was always an excuse to troll about the npd results , the worst multiplat on PS3 and so on. Now Sony has a wider userbase, they are more and did the same. Are you people new of VG forum?
Well I’m talking about at this very moment aren’t I. People on here have accused me of being a fanboy of Sony or a fanboy of Microsoft at different times. I truly don’t give a fuck - but I will say during the past half a year on the forums or whatever the Sony fanboys have been more numerous and annoying as a whole. I don’t see how this is controversial it’s pretty obvious to anyone without loyalty to either of them.

Also I’m gonna go out on a limb and say both ps5 and series x perform things so similarly I don’t even get the point of these comparisons. The resolution shit was dumb with hitman, the very slight frame rate stuff is dumb with this - series x does not as of yet have a game with graphics as impressive as demons souls or even maybe miles morales. When it does maybe I’ll be more interested in comparing the graphical capabilities of each.

But I am really tired of the the tools are missing or late excuse. Tjey will probably say the same thing 5 years from now and also believe that Leisure Suit Larry 4: the missing floppies does exist...
I've seen more Sony fans mention the tools then the MS fans in this thread. In fact.... I havnt seen any in comments in this thread from xbox fans. Seems like projection.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well I’m talking about at this very moment aren’t I. People on here have accused me of being a fanboy of Sony or a fanboy of Microsoft at different times. I truly don’t give a fuck - but I will say during the past half a year on the forums or whatever the Sony fanboys have been more numerous and annoying as a whole. I don’t see how this is controversial it’s pretty obvious to anyone without loyalty to either of them.

Also I’m gonna go out on a limb and say both ps5 and series x perform things so similarly I don’t even get the point of these comparisons. The resolution shit was dumb with hitman, the very slight frame rate stuff is dumb with this - series x does not as of yet have a game with graphics as impressive as demons souls or even maybe miles morales. When it does maybe I’ll be more interested in comparing the graphical capabilities of each.
Yeah, it is almost as if they are taking revenge for being trolled for nearly a year for stuff like 9.2 TF 1.5 RDNA, no ray-tracing, boost clocked PS5.

• Consoles launched.
  • Comparisons came and showed a PS5 advantage.
The tools narrative didn’t exactly come out of nowhere. The shills at DF randomly said it based on no Evidence, just an assumption guess. Ever since then the usual xboys have used it as a rally point.
Hitman prime example. ‘See just needed sometime’ and ‘see this dev had the advance more complete set of tools’.

Last edited:

FranXico

They're not, but at least xbox fanboys and nintendo fanboys don't go on every fucking thread envangelizing their console, even going through the lengths of talking it up like they are better than PCs like it happens a lot. Again, all fanboys are bad, but Sony are by far the worse.
You're right, they're not. Instead, they're all over the place evangelizing gamepass.

Last edited:
The tools narrative didn’t exactly come out of nowhere. The shills at DF randomly said it based on no Evidence, just an assumption guess. Ever since then the usual xboys have used it as a rally point.
Hitman prime example. ‘See just needed sometime’ and ‘see this dev had the advance more complete set of tools’.
No you're not getting away with this nonsense, DF spoke to multiple developers who all said this was true, they wanted to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Stop spreading fud and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Great post. This sums up 2020 in a nutshell.
Indeed, all this hype from MS and their bots. After the release, MS was very quiet.

MS marketing is so wrong. Yes Sony was maybe a little too quiet, but they delivered and didn't talk too much. All MS did was constantly try to convince people with a bunch of bullshit and childish tweets.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

I simply said that: it's unbearable see some people, who, hearing them, hate console war and fanboism, accuse a part to be the worst in absolute. They act exactly in the same way as they blame.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, it's not like IOI was using completely different or more advanced tools. This is such a stupid narrative about missing tools, it's almost hilarious.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Indeed, all that hype from MS and their bots. After release MS was very quiet.

MS marketing is so wrong. Yes Sony was a bit to quiet maybe, but they delivered and didn’t talk to much. Only thing MS did was constantly trying to convince people with a lot of bullshit and childish tweets.
I still can't forget "Tower of Power" and "X is gonna give it to ya!" That was so cringy! And what's worst is that it didn't even substantiate into anything lol.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, it's not like IOI was using completely different or more advanced tools. This is such a stupid narrative about missing tools, it's almost hilarious.
Of course the tools narrative is bullshi, and I cringe every time I read it. IOI just spent a bit more time on the XsX version as opposed to the games released prior

assurdum

Banned
No you're not getting away with this nonsense, DF spoke to multiple developers who all said this was true, they wanted to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Stop spreading fud and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.
Isn't it exactly a nonsense. When developers praise ps5 hardware they never stayed anonymous, from my memory at least. But look, Dictator hears tools are drastically improved on series X (which could be absolutely eh, but doesn't implies Hitman 3 is the new trend of multiplat); his sources need to stay anonymous for what reasons exactly? Simply because it's just a rumour, nothing of official and impossible to validate. As Dusk Golem did just to remind.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course the tools narrative is bullshi, and I cringe every time I read it. IOI just spent a bit more time on the XsX version as opposed to the games released prior
Yeah, and even if they didn't spend more time on XSX as compared to PS5, it is completely logical that their game could have just run and scaled better on Xbox. These two consoles are extremely close this time in terms of power and perf. -- probably the closest we've ever got.

Some games will look and play better on PS5; others will look and play better on Series X. I believe that, and so far all evidence (data + developer and insider quotes) point to this. Some people, however, don't want to accept this because this negates that pre-launch narrative of 30% Xbox advantage, so they have shifted the conversation to 'missing tools' and "defended" their box by buying some more time.

Isn't it exactly a nonsense. When developers praise ps5 hardware they never stayed anonymous, from my memory at least. But look, Dictator hears tools are drastically improved on series X (which could be absolutely eh, but doesn't implies Hitman 3 is the new trend of multiplat); his sources need to stay anonymous for what reasons exactly? Simply because it's just a rumour, nothing of official and impossible to validate. As Dusk Golem did just to remind.
They talk to Digital Foundry because of Leadbetter who has a long history of working in the game industry. He has a lot of friends from years of trust being built on not spreading rumours etc. For instance Digital Foundry knew Series S was a thing long before any of us but they kept that information out of the public domain. Insiders always keep their sources secret that's the way it works, can't believe I have to explain this lol.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, and even if they didn't spend more time on XSX as compared to PS5, it is completely logical that their game could have just run and scaled better on Xbox. These two consoles are extremely close this time in terms of power and perf. -- probably the closest we've ever got.

Some games will look and play better on PS5; others will look and play better on Series X.
I deleted some of your post because I am not interested in the war.

But I totally agree that going forward some games will favour one console or the other depending on engine or studio. When I said more time, I didn’t mean prioritise one console over the other, I simply meant that it wasn’t a rushed launch port.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

• Consoles launched.
  • Comparisons came and showed a PS5 advantage. *Xbox fanboys surprise Pikachu face*
Seems like its a hard thing for you to imagine that MS basicly threw away the well known XDK for the new GDK. And all that shit during a pandemic etc.
Dont get why you ps fanboys cant deal with the fact that the GDK isnt mature enough.
But whatever fits your narrative

It’s not that the losses has been huge, probably wouldn’t be noticed without frame graphs and 400% zoom, but when you’re hyping the power for half a year with 12TF and rdna 2.0 and all that it’s essentially a loss when the performance is the same.

I bought the Series X instead of PS5 because I wanted the best performance in multiplats and because I wanted a a bunch of new 1st party games sitting in my Gamepass tab waiting to be played day 1 without paying extra.
I didn’t get any of that.

I know things will get better in the future but that’s my point, if they have no games ready they could’ve released the console later and had more games and better hardware. They had all eggs in the Halo basket and then they smashed that and ended up with the weirdest 1st party game draught I’ve ever seen + weaker multiplat performance.
I don't recall MS ever saying there was going to be a bunch of new 1st party titles on Gamepass for launch of the XSX|S. It was always about cross generational stuff that was why people attacked them for not believing in generations.

It was also never realistic that the XSX would be a massive improvement over the PS5 a system with very similar architectural design. MS has steadily released new software and added new studios to the company. They've also avoided many of the typical hardware growing pains and have a system that is feature complete from day one. It is nice to be able to offload XSX|S to an external drive and have an option to expand internal storage. Smart delivery and quick resume are awesome features.

Console life cycles are a slow burn whose success is never determined based on launch software. If the best games on your platform are launch titles you did something wrong.

Drops on both in this vid... Like 1 or 2 frames max. Nothing really. RT looks nice, although I can't see myself not playing at 60hz

Seems to really be the most similar result I ever see with one game running on two different consoles. Don't remember one time during my gamer life such parity haha

So anonymous sources vs an actually dev (dirt rally) who said the tools are great. Ok buddy.
Are you trying to be stupid? Why would any developer publicly complain about development tools? It's not meant for the public and it would not go down well with Microsoft if a developer openly crictisied their tools, hence they remain anonymous. The Dirt dev said they were fine, while releasing a shocking Series X version, yeah that proves your point 😅

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems like its a hard thing for you to imagine that MS basicly threw away the well known XDK for the new GDK. And all that shit during a pandemic etc.
Dont get why you ps fanboys cant deal with the fact that the GDK isnt mature enough.
But whatever fits your narrative
Again, devs have confirmed that this is the longest, easiest available toolkit they had for any console launch. Also, GDK has been available since Nov. 2019, as per available documents.

If someone says something that goes against available evidence and facts, yes it's a hard thing for me to imagine and believe.

Again, devs have confirmed that this is the longest, easiest available toolkit they had for any console launch. Also, GDK has been available since Nov. 2019, as per available documents.

If someone says something that goes against available evidence and facts, yes it's a hard thing for me to imagine and believe.
Negotiator101 Negotiator101 is right. The devs aren't going to openly trash the tools and if this is about the dirt Dev yeah they said it's awesome but then released a big steamer. That can't be taken as anything more then pr

RGB'D

Holy hypocritical straw-man. I have both consoles. They are both great. Xbox ecosystem and gamepass is better than Sony with a better controller (asymmetrical joysticks) but SONY first party are better than Xbox (at least for PS4 and the beginning of PS5) and dual sense is cool with advanced haptics. But Jesus if you SONY whack-a-dos don't embarass yourself and make me hesitant to even admit to owning a PS5. You are 100,000,000x worse, more plentiful, and louder than any Xbox fanboy. In all these comparisons, the truth is... performance is basically exactly the same. Sure something might drop a frame here or have something weird pop up. Good news no matter what your preference is... there is basically the same performance no matter your console. You SONY nut jobs literally make me dislike SONY at times, and I have to remind myself that the the zealots are not reflective of what the console actually is. It's a damn good console with fun games. However,, if you want a true performance difference, instead of arguing which insignificant frame dip affects which console version, build a PC (the only objectively significantly different performance metrics is that PC versions perform significantly better than both PS5 and Series X.)

Holy hypocritical straw-man. I have both consoles. They are both great. Xbox ecosystem and gamepass is better than Sony with a better controller (asymmetrical joysticks) but SONY first party are better than Xbox (at least for PS4 and the beginning of PS5) and dual sense is cool with advanced haptics. But Jesus if you SONY whack-a-dos don't embarass yourself and make me hesitant to even admit to owning a PS5. You are 100,000,000x worse, more plentiful, and louder than any Xbox fanboy. In all these comparisons, the truth is... performance is basically exactly the same. Sure something might drop a frame here or have something weird pop up. Good news no matter what your preference is... there is basically the same performance no matter your console. You SONY nut jobs literally make me dislike SONY at times, and I have to remind myself that the the zealots are not reflective of what the console actually is. It's a damn good console with fun games. However,, if you want a true performance difference, instead of arguing which insignificant frame dip affects which console version, build a PC (the only objectively significantly different performance metrics is that PC versions perform significantly better than both PS5 and Series X.)
Get ready to hear that a year ago someone on Twitter said something that hurt someone's feelings so they now have the right to be a shit head about Xbox forever.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Negotiator101 Negotiator101 is right. The devs aren't going to openly trash the tools and if this is about the dirt Dev yeah they said it's awesome but then released a big steamer. That can't be taken as anything more then pr
Not sure about that. Devs have been openly criticizing Series S (a commercial product), but they can't criticize the toolkit (a non-commercial product that they use more than anyone else)?

They can say that they prefer XDK instead of GDK, and perhaps it's not a good idea to change the development environment a year before the release. I feel we're overestimating this.

Last edited:
Not sure about that. Devs have been openly criticizing Series S (a commercial product), but they can't criticize the toolkit (a non-commercial product that they use more than anyone else)?

They can say that they prefer XDK instead of GDK, and perhaps it's not a good idea to change the development environment a year before the release. I feel we're overestimating this.
So what devs have said Xbox has great tools?

Interfectum

So anonymous sources vs an actually dev (dirt rally) who said the tools are great. Ok buddy.
Tools can be easy to use and mature and still not utilize everything the system has to offer.

This goes for both Series X and PS5 tools. We are at the very beginning of this generation that has been slowed down by COVID. I expect both systems to radically improve via tools in the coming years.

Last edited:

Loope

Tools can be easy to use and mature and still not utilize everything the system has to offer.
True, i think what people don't like about the tools argument, is that the tools from Sony won't remain static also. Truth is this consoles are really really close, PC is the way to go if people want that much of graphical disparity.

Top Bottom