• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop bodyslams 15 year old girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite the noggin you've got on you, friend.

If she was well dressed and in front of a restaurant parking lot or something, you probably wouldn't be coming to that conclusion. This wreaks of the 'well if she wasn't dressed like that...' victim blaming mindset.

I didn't really base it off how she was dressed. I mean if she got punched in the face by some random guy then I could understand saying that, but it was a cop. He wouldn't have been one her if she hadn't been causing some kind of disturbance.

Mudkips

Banned
The issue is not what the 15 year old deserves or doesn't deserve. It's an issue of the cop doing his/her job. The job isn't to punish someone who you find to be a nuisance or 'deserving of a punch', it's to enforce the law. Child or not, deserving or not, what threat could a 15 year old girl have posed to a built male cop that would've urged him to take her down like that?

How about you go find and punch her in the face yourself, the cops don't exist to physically abuse people you consider have it coming due to their behavior.

The point where they do, you better be ready for a slippery slope.

It's like you didn't even read my post, but saw "15" and "female" and had to hit the quote button. You're right that it is an issue of the cop doing his job. The job is to arrest criminals, which is what he did. The fact that he had to use force to do so is in no way his fault, or a result of him feeling threatened by the suspect. It's a result of the suspect not complying, and the officer needing to control the situation quickly.

If she was well dressed and in front of a restaurant parking lot or something, you probably wouldn't be coming to that conclusion. This wreaks of the 'well if she wasn't dressed like that...' victim blaming mindset.

We have an officer and a suspect. We're blaming the suspect. It has nothing to do with her manner of dress. It has to do with her sneaking into a club while being underage, getting into a fight, and then resisting arrest.

noah111

Still Alive
What the hell? Talk about jumping to conclusions.
How can someone come to the conclusion "she probably deserved it"? A lot of people in here are in that mindset and i'm curious as to how they can (consciously or not) think that way with so little context.

Obvious attempt at trying to make the thread about sexism when it was originally just about her age.
More like a classist issue about who we see fit to most likely be deserving of x y z treatment versus others.

neoism

Do you have another point besides this? Every human being makes mistakes.

Most definitely but a mistake I wouldn't call it. besides its only a "mistake" for a policeman if they get caught, but I wouldn't chalk it up to o his just a human being and they make mistakes.Mistakes aren't deliberate. I didn't mean that all cops badly abuse their power only a some few. But every one of them in little ways has abused their power.

You don't know what she did.

It's nearly impossible for me to be outraged without context. She could have been minding her business. She could have been pushed into the officer by someone else. She could have been trying to further escalate a situation with verbal threats. She could have been trying to further escalate a situation by taking a swing at someone nearby. She could have been trying to flee the scene. We don't know. All we know is that she was allegedly involved in an incident at a night club that she shouldn't have been at in the first place.

All I'm saying is, there are perfectly valid reasons to throw a 100 lb girl (or a 150 lb guy) to the ground in the context of an after-hours altercation. I know, I've seen it happen. It's naive to think that just because she's a woman that she's a piece of cake to wrap up.

I'm not outraged either, she probably did "deserve" it, but it's not what she deserved, it's what was warranted. There are only a few cases where that sort of physical force is warranted. It's like those cops that abuse tasers or mace just because they can. There are only a few cases in which it should be used.

neoism

What a ridiculous statement.

The only context we have leading up to the video is that she was (allegedly) fighting someone else. For all we know, she was attacking the cop as he was trying to break up the fight.

Just like the girl in the video, the cop isn't automatically guilty.

doesn't make it any less true.

Bombadil

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with what he did.

She appeared to be resisting, he lifted her off her feet and threw her back down into a position to arrest her.

She was probably hurt, but that's what happens when you resist arrest.

noah111

Still Alive
It's like you didn't even read my post, but saw "15" and "female" and had to hit the quote button. You're right that it is an issue of the cop doing his job. The job is to arrest criminals, which is what he did. The fact that he had to use force to do so is in no way his fault, or a result of himfeeling threatened by the suspect. It's a result of the suspect not complying, and the officer needing to control the situation quickly.
It's like you're forgetting that this is a 15 year old girl. "Control the situation quickly" as if she was a threat to anyone and he had no choice. And would you still think it was 'in no way his fault' if she had received a concussion or even went into a coma? Because that has happened before under almost exactly the same circumstances and the fault was most certainly on the officer.

Unless she had a weapon or was a freakin olympic sprinter, the force used was unwarranted for a 15yr old female, period.

To clarify, I don't think his actions are insanely outrageous as much as I do some of the responses in here, like 'she probably deserved it' or 'teenage shits' etc. And as phosphor said, it's not what she deserved but what was warranted.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Unless she had a weapon or was a freakin olympic sprinter, the force used was unwarranted for a 15yr old female, period.

You're assuming she didn't, which would be a mistake if you're a cop. Every altercation a cop gets into needs to be treated as if the suspect has a weapon or can deal bodily harm to the cop which is why there's an urgency to their takedowns no matter what the age of the person or whatever preconceived notions you have based on her age and gender. That's how cops get seriously injured or even killed.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
He bodyslams a baby? This guy should be shot.

Mudkips

Banned
It's like you're forgetting that this is a 15 year old girl. "Control the situation quickly" as if she was a threat to anyone and he had no choice. And would you still think it was 'in no way his fault' if she had received a concussion or even went into a coma? Because that has happened before under almost exactly the same circumstances and the fault was most certainly on the officer.

To clarify, I don't think his actions are insanely outrageous as much as I do some of the responses in here, like 'she probably deserved it' or 'teenage shits' etc. And as phosphor said, it's not what she deserved but what was warranted.

It does not matter if the suspect is 15 years old.
It does not matter if the suspect is female.
A suspect resisting arrest will be met with reasonable force.
The suspect in the video was met with reasonable force for someone resisting arrest.
The suspect did not die or suffer serious injuries. If you want to live in hypothetical land then we have to live in hypothetical land when the officer decides to use force - the suspect could have been a ninja.

marrec

Banned
Outrage over this?

I think people are letting the poor quality of the video effect judgement. The cop had to put the girl on the ground somehow and she likely was not cooperating. Who knows how hard she hit or how hard she was struggling, but the officer did what he had to do to subdue her.

I don't see an issue here.

noah111

Still Alive
You're assuming she didn't. Every altercation a cop gets into needs to be treated as if the assailant has a weapon which is why there's an urgency to their takedowns no matter what the age of the person or whatever preconceived notions you have. That's how cops get seriously injured or even killed.
If you honestly think that the thought 'she might have a weapon' was going through his mind as he reprimanded her, you're absolutely kidding yourself. You know how civilians can get seriously injured or even killed? By cops that overdo it like this one. Be it tasers or just unnecessary brutal takedowns, it's happened more than enough times now for them to take a hint that excessive force isn't 'alright'.

She's lucky she wasn't in the back of the squad car. Then she'd probably have committed suicide.
Subtle..

If you honestly think that the thought 'she might have a weapon' was going through his mind as he reprimanded her, you're absolutely kidding yourself.

Isn't this exactly what cops are taught?

Are you also of the mind that privates in the military should question a commanding officer's order?

noah111

Still Alive
It does not matter if the suspect is 15 years old.
It does not matter if the suspect is female.
A suspect resisting arrest will be met with reasonable force.
The suspect in the video was met with reasonable force for someone resisting arrest.
The suspect did not die or suffer serious injuries. If you want to live in hypothetical land then we have to live in hypothetical land when the officer decides to use force - the suspect could have been a ninja.
An officer does not treat a 200 pound male resisting arrest the same as a 90 pound female resisting arrest, period. Your points are entirely moot in that regard. Of course it matters.

But again, i'm not necessarily surprised or outraged by the takedown itself as much as I am the non nonchalant 'she got what she deserved' response by some of you.

How do we know that her age was known to the police officers at this point? She presumably snuck into the joint by either passing for 18/21 or with illegal identification.

You're also making it sound like he punched her in the face, had a baton out, pummeled her on the ground, etc. A simple takedown is just that, a takedown. When you're diffusing a physical situation, grabbing their arms or putting them in a bear hug isn't always going to get people to calm down. Some people, especially drunk people, don't snap out of their "I'm gonna take on the world!" haze until they are carried out of the bar and pinned to the sidewalk by 3 or 4 people. I've seen a 5'4" girl slap the shit out of a 6'2" bouncer just for intervening in her argument.

Tenck

Yup.
Of course we don't see what happened before, but if she was behaving in a way that warranted any use of force, I have no problem with the level of force that she got.
Being 15 and female doesn't give you a pass.

Lol?

Warranting any use of force does not justify body slamming someone on the ground like that. Especially if she were to hit her head hard enough to do some serious damage.

Edit:
A simple takedown is just that, a takedown

It's not a simple takedown. He picked her up and slammed her.

Suairyu

Banned
Assuming the context is she was being difficult to restrain, I have no issue with this.

Much better than if he'd been lazy and simply tasered her.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Assuming the context is she was being difficult to restrain, I have no issue with this.

Much better than if he'd been lazy and simply tasered her.

A 15 year-old petite is hard to restrain?

Lol?

Warranting any use of force does not justify body slamming someone on the ground like that. Especially if she were to hit her head hard enough to do some serious damage.

Edit:

Have you ever tried breaking up a fight? I mean a real fight, not a scrap between you and your buddies. Moreover, have you ever tried getting someone to move somewhere that they didn't want to move?

Nekofrog

Banned
jesus christ DUN DUN DUN NEWS SENSATIONALISM AT ITS WORST could those reporters be more over dramatic?

cop is a piece of shit, for sure.

Have you ever tried breaking up a fight? I mean a real fight, not a scrap between you and your buddies. Moreover, have you ever tried getting someone to move somewhere that they didn't want to move?

Breaking up a fight involving little girls is pretty easy, dude. Especially since it looked like the fight was over, and she was cuffed.

Tenck

It's still not a simple take down as you described it. Dude wanted her on the ground at all costs lol. Eh whatever, probably deserved etc etc.

First cop I've seen slam a younger girl rather than trying to smang one.

tumblr_m80j6reeVy1qf0c4qo1_500.gif

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

Yeah, lets ignore that she was sneaking into clubs where she doesn't belong and getting in fights - clearly the only thing that led to her getting in trouble that night was the way she dressed. Victim blaming... give me a fucking break.

Mudkips

Banned
An officer does not treat a 200 pound male resisting arrest the same as a 90 pound female resisting arrest, period.

An officer often does and should. Period.

She could have hit her head? She could have had a weapon. The suspect could have complied and avoided the situation.

She got knocked her butt. OH THE BRUTALITY!

Alucrid

Banned
An officer does not treat a 200 pound male resisting arrest the same as a 90 pound female resisting arrest, period. Your points are entirely moot in that regard. Of course it matters.

But again, i'm not necessarily surprised or outraged by the takedown itself as much as I am the non nonchalant 'she got what she deserved' response by some of you.

some of the most vicious fights i've seen involved 90 pound girls

He's not the only cop there. He could have restrained her in other ways or with the help of the other cop. The bodyslam was completely unnecessary. As someone of that weight class I'm so easily overpowered by an adult his size (and he's probably built to) it's pretty easy to restrain me without the use of excessive force. I don't really care if she was spittin' game or being a total brat. It's obvious he let his anger get to him, I don't want cops like that out on the street.

That was not excessive force. CNN is so dramatic. Chick probably deserved it. I like how the video doesn't show what happened before the slam.

He's not the only cop there. He could have restrained her in other ways or with the help of the other cop. The bodyslam was completely unnecessary. As someone of that weight class I'm so easily overpowered by an adult his size (and he's probably built to) it's pretty easy to restrain me without the use of excessive force. I don't really care if she was spittin' game or being a total brat. It's obvious he let his anger get to him, I don't want cops like that out on the street.

Spitting game/acting a total brat.

I'm sure that reaction wasn't the result of either. The fact that we only see the slam is proof enough that she deserved the slam/that level of aggression. Of course, those who captured the video could of course prove everyone wrong and release the entire video, but I'm certain they won't as it would paint a very different picture and show such action was warranted.

I'm sure that reaction wasn't the result of either. The fact that we only see the slam is proof enough that she deserved the slam/that level of aggression. Of course, those who captured the video could of course prove everyone wrong and release the entire video, but I'm certain they won't as it would paint a very different picture and show such action was warranted.

Considering her weight and the fact that it looks like she's weaponless I disagree. It's not even the body slam that perturbs me, it's how obvious it's a violent move out of anger on behalf of the cop. If you're crowd control and dealing with drunk idiots, you probably should transfer to a desk job if you can't handle them being shitheels.

There's more to apprehending someone than just bearhugging them. But I do agree his anger took him over, but I definitely don't think this deserves any major consternation. It's inefficient and brought on unnecessary heat.

Gaborn

This almost sounds like a ridiculous apologist for the Rodney King beating.

marrec

Banned
Restraining is different from getting someone on the ground. No matter how much you outweigh someone, getting them on their back or stomach can be difficult if they are struggling violently. If there was no struggle and he just put her down like that because she was talking shit then he is a bad cop. But if she was doing everything in her power to fight and struggle, then he did what he had to. It is very hard to tell from the video exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom