• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops in standoff w/couple in car shoot them dead...turns out the couple was sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass One

Really sickening, regardless of the excuses made this is just sickening. It might be because I haven't been jaded by years on the street and driven to frightful levels of paranoia but this situation could have been handled easily by someone walking up to the window and knocking on it, its that simple.

Even if they went for the gun you could easily duck below the door frame and tactical shift to the back of the car in less then 3 seconds. Seriously if you have all these guns then surely you have been trained properly to use them in varying situations or are american cops just given ex-military gear without proper training?

Are they even trained or have the tactical thinking to do that? Time and time again, it just sounds like they gave a regular dude a badge and gun. It never sounds like they were prepared for the anything at all.

Jackpot

Banned
I knew someone would post something like that. I already stated the difference. On is inherently evil and you know that when you get into that group. They should be punished as a group. The other is trying to serve and protect(That's why some want to join that profession).

Now maybe the second group is not doing a good job at what they are supposed to be doing. That should be fixed. I'm just not sure how you condemn every individual in that second group.

I got to go. Sorry for derailing the thread. Hopefully these people will find justice.

When it's been shown that a group is institutionally racist, by being any part of that group you are helping to further its racist practices regardless of your own views on race.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This shit makes my blood boil, what the fuck is going on these days?

Don't cops get the idea that they can't get away with acting this way in this day and age? most cops are decent and good people but the few sour grapes of the lot are just disgusting.

But they do ?

Enzom21

You know, cops are fucked in America, but one of the main reasons they're fucked? Because everyone in the US is, or could be carrying a gun. That's the root of the problem.

That's not why they disproportionately kill black people. If gun were the root of it, they would kill a lot more white people.
There's a belief that black people are more dangerous and that's why they shoot, according to a cop anyway.

kinggroin

Banned
It's not the fact that there's racist cops, all countries have racist cops. It's when the establishment defends racist cops and does everything in it's power repeatedly to ensure they get off, is what tells you the organisation is fundamentally racist, and have no problem with what these racist cops are doing.

Which is a significant problem

THIS is the problem. THE problem.

Giving human beings the kind of responsibility and power cops have, you have to expect some level if fuck up. Thing is, you also expect adequate punishment to curb these fuck ups in the future.

They don't happen nearly enough or to the severity required.

Edit: The american police force was created as a slave patrol? Well well well. Didn't know this.

Here's what I think. Let the citizens keep the guns, take em away from cops.

Matt

What the hell happened to always firing warning shots first, unless in lethal danger? That should have woken the couple up, one would think.
Police don't fire "warning shots." They are incredibly dangerous, and would usually serve to escalate, rather than de-escalate the situation.

Except the KKK's entire reason for existence is to wipe out minorities and deviants.

These analogies are such bullshit.

(Watch as the next few posts accuse me of defending murder)
Umm, the origin of American policing is rooted in suppression and control of minorities to protect the status quo of the white majority.
The riots of Civil Rights era? Local governments commissioned reports on the causes of them, and the repeating offender was law enforcement's racist and violent interactions with blacks. This is nothing new, its rooted in the institutional DNA of American policing.
Post-Jim Crow, you have Nixon kickstarting the war on drugs, which was essentially a war on the African American community, then Reagan and Clinton escalating it through the 80s and 90s.
Sorry, but black people have been on the receiving end of state sponsored police brutality from Reconstruction all the way to the modern era.

Enzom21

THIS is the problem. THE problem.

Giving human beings the kind of responsibility and power cops have, you have to expect some level if fuck up. Thing is, you also expect adequate punishment to curb these fuck ups in the future.

They don't happen nearly enough or to the severity required.

Edit: The american police force was created as a slave patrol? Well well well. Didn't know this.

Here's what I think. Let the citizens keep the guns, take em away from cops.

That and protecting white people from those scary Native Americans that people were slaughtering.
So the police force in this country isn't and never was for people who aren't white.

cameron

Did any new information come out that proved they woke up before being fired upon?

No new information at all.

Shooting occurred early morning on Feb 21. Inglewood Mayor gave an interview on Feb 23 stating that the victims were asleep. No further details have been released since.

For a 45 minute "standoff" that ended with civilian deaths, there is a surprising lack of information a week later. If this story gets glossed over and not enough people care, I'd assume there would be no need for Inglewood Police to be forthcoming with their "investigation" for the sake of transparency and public trust.

TheJLC

Lol, American police were not created for the purpose of slave patrols. Slave patrols were created in the 1700s while police in the United States colonies existed since the early 1600s as Watchmen. Watchmen looked out at night and day for crime, for attacks against the colonies, and maintained peace/order. Slave patrol powers were independent from police in the US and their whole purpose was to police slaves. While Police in the US via watchmen, constables, sheriff, or other law enforcement policed the entire population including slaves.

Police existed before slave patrols. However, because slavery was institutionalized, slave patrols did shape the police. Police enforced all laws including slave laws. Slaves were held by police for slave patrols to return to their owners. In some areas slave patrols were composed of the very same people that composed the police.

Saying police was formed to police slaves is ignoring the fact that crime, violence, and war existed in the US before the first slave patrols were formed. It's ignoring the fact that law enforcement in the US existed prior to slave patrols. They are likely using Sir Robert Peel's bobbies as the start of police in the US when what he did was modernized and organize police. And if they are using 'modern police' as the start of US police forces, they are ignoring the fact that some states existed that did not allow slavery or slave patrols but they had police.

Chaos17

For at least 45 minutes, police attempted “to rouse” them in an effort “to de-escalate the situation,” said Butts.

After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”

However, that notion has yet to be proven and is particularly unlikely due to the fact that not a single officer received so much as a scratch, nor did the couple have any reason to be violent.

So let me try to imagine the stuff :
Police receive a call about a suspicious car.
Police arrives in the place
For 45 mins police doesn't have any reply from the people in the car.
One of the policeman finaly take his courage to check the car and suddenly someone woke up!
Policeman feared for his life and shoot! (we all react differently when we're surprised/scared)

I'm saying this because of
“Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”

The only moment that someone can wake up is when they can hear you or feel you...
So what the police did for 45 mins if the couple didn't wake up earlier before they check them up close ?...

Ploid 3.0

What the hell happened to always firing warning shots first, unless in lethal danger? That should have woken the couple up, one would think.

The warning shot would have given them even more reason to shoot to kill though. They are no longer asleep, and the sudden startled awake movement could be the reason they use to shoot them.

"Feared for my life."

Edit: The funny thing is, when I first saw this thread I was on my phone browsing over the information, reading it aloud to my friends in the car. "Where did it happen," someone asked. I mentioned that I saw Manchester, but said that it had to be in the US because police in Europe would not just shoot sleeping people. Good thing I was right.

Double WTF.

1. Cops. WTF. That's not how you cop.

2. Who the fuck sleeps with a gun in their car and doesn't wake up with police shouting/megaphone etc. Surely they tried a few things before shooting them 45mins later. Right?...

What are some policy ideas for a replacement of police forces?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...a-do-it-6-ideas-for-a-cop-free-world-20141216
http://www.mcgilldaily.com/PoliceIssue/Restorative-Justice.html
https://rosecitycopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/alternatives-to-police-draft.pdf

Unarmed mediation and intervention teams

Unarmed but trained people, often formerly violent offenders themselves, patrolling their neighborhoods to curb violence right where it starts. This is real and it exists in cities from Detroit to Los Angeles. Stop believing that police are heroes because they are the only ones willing to get in the way of knives or guns – so are the members of groups like Cure Violence, who were the subject of the 2012 documentary The Interrupters. There are also feminist models that specifically organize patrols of local women, who reduce everything from cat-calling and partner violence to gang murders in places like Brooklyn. While police forces have benefited from military-grade weapons and equipment, some of the most violent neighborhoods have found success through peace rather than war.

Restorative Justice

Also known as reparative or transformative justice, these models represent an alternative to courts and jails. From hippie communes to the IRA and anti-Apartheid South African guerrillas to even some U.S. cities like Philadelphia's experiment with community courts, spaces are created where accountability is understood as a community issue and the entire community, along with the so-called perpetrator and the victim of a given offense, try to restore and even transform everyone in the process. It has also been used uninterrupted by indigenous and Afro-descendant communities like San Basilio de Palenque in Colombia for centuries, and it remains perhaps the most widespread and far-reaching of the alternatives to the adversarial court system.

Asking the question ‘what are alternatives to policing?’ is to ask the question ‘what are alternatives to capitalism?’” said Luis Fernandez, Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Northern Arizona University, in a phone interview with The Daily.

By definition, policing is the regulation and control of a community – “the role of the police is to maintain the capitalist social order,” Fernandez said. “A lot of [the] time the role of police is to maintain the social order so that those particular people who have power can do their business with the least amount of disruption...possible.”

Part of maintaining the current social order means that the police force does not treat everyone on a level playing field. “Capitalism develops very specific kinds of social arrangements, that for the most part require a very strong stratification of people. You need police to maintain that particular kind of order…[the actions of the police are] not equally distributed – it’s not equal opportunity policing,” Fernandez said. This leads to higher rates of police brutality and incarceration in less privileged populations.

Surely they tried a few things before shooting them 45mins later. Right?...

I think this situation removes our ability to know anything for sure. I mean, "surely" the police wouldn't kill a sleeping person...right?

My first thought was "didn't the police know they were sleeping?". If not, why not, and why shoot with that poor amount of info? If you don't even know if a person is conscious, how could you possibly justify shooting?

If so...how could you possibly justify shooting?

I can't wrap my head around this one, at all.

Nephtis

Death penalty for cops involved. This is next level incompetence.

I don't know about the death penalty (because I don't really believe in it) but definitely incarceration. Or anything besides the cops facing no repercussions for their reckless actions.

We shouldn't stop with the cops though, leadership and even unions themselves need to be held accountable.

darscot

You guys need to stop bashing cops.

We can't judge the institution based on completely sanctioned actions that some individuals take.

Its like saying ALL of the KKK are bad just because SOME members murdered people.

Many KKK members are just community organisers and do good things for their communities. Just because their comrades murder people on a daily basis, with their full support, doesn't mean they too are part of the problem!

It's not the uniform/hood, it's the person underneath it that's at fault.

You wouldn't call a WHOLE gang bad just because ONE of them is a murderer and they all cover for him and support him 100% under any circumstance when he kills.people??? Blame the killer, not the structure that funds, sanctions, covers for and 100% supports him in every way!

It's DANGEROUS for us to focus on the institution when only individuals are on the street!

This is GAF you really need like a huge animating GIF sarcasm warning.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I completely agree the police need to be entirely restructured, however there is an absolute need for police, I don't see how we can be arguing this.

LordCiego

At this rate American Police shouldnt have guns, if they get in a dangerous situation the should call the "Gun squad" department to send a qualified cop in gun use to control the situation..

Sounds stupid? Not more stupid than having news like this because of their abuse of power.

At this rate American Police shouldnt have guns, if they get in a dangerous situation the should call the "Gun squad" department to send a qualified cop in gun use to control the situation..

Sounds stupid? Not more stupid than having news like this because of their abuse of power.

It's not stupid. We already have one of those - SWAT team* - who get a lot more weapons training. And the situation you described is exactly what they do in other countries. Take cover and call SWAT.

The SWAT team was called in this case. Fuck.

I completely agree the police need to be entirely restructured, however there is an absolute need for police, I don't see how we can be arguing this.

No, capitalism has an absolute need for police. Without capitalism, human beings don't need a special group of human beings who are given power, immunity, and killing machines.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
U.S cops are the biggest bunch of pussies on the planet. Why become a cop when you are so fucking scared for your life.

They are a bunch of cowards.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The idea of warning shots is weird AF. Why does the answer always have to involve guns?

Police don't fire "warning shots." They are incredibly dangerous, and would usually serve to escalate, rather than de-escalate the situation.

I fail to see how a warning shot would escalate the situation more than shooting them?

The warning shot would have given them even more reason to shoot to kill though. They are no longer asleep, and the sudden startled awake movement could be the reason they use to shoot them.

"Feared for my life."

Well they apparently don't need more reason.

Warning shots are from the movies.

Just like shooting a trigger finger.

Not in some countries in europe.

The idea of warning shots is weird AF. Why does the answer always have to involve guns?

It signifies willingness to use lethal force and unless in immediate danger has to be preempted before the usage of such in some countries.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I fail to see how a warning shot would escalate the situation more than shooting them?

Well they apparently don't need more reason.

Not in some countries in europe.

It signifies willingness to use lethal force and unless in immediate danger has to be preempted before the usage of such in some countries.
in this situation they might have woke up and then gotten shot for their trouble

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

If anything it signifies that you're unwilling to use lethal force. Anyway threats are a pretty terrible deescalation technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom