• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Avengers (MCU) have stopped the invasion of Earth by Zod (MoS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
tumblr_m8z6symQ131rpcea3o2_250.gif

tumblr_m96r0r4gUZ1r0oz1go1_500.gif

Oh. Oh?

Ohhhhhhhh

Two Words

The Avengers always seemed line very lo sided heroes. Hawkeye and Black Widow would be useless. Iron Man would eventually run out of energy if not be torn to bits immediately, and Captain America can't block everything. So basically you have Thor and Hulk. And the strength of Thor and Hulk can wildly vary on the person making it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
About flying away,
teopFQ7.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibb6ZiKC549LGN.gif

Feats of strength are inconsistent in the MCU. Avengers' Thor can't compare to Thor's Thor. The Avengers would be stronger in the MoS universe or the Kryptonians weaker in the MCU; either way the odds will be better for them. As it stands the point of comparison between the two universes is Hulk vs an F-35 and an ordinary kryptonian vs an A-10.

Say what you will about MOS, some of those fight scenes were God-tier in showing how powerful these characters are.

MisterHero

I'll be fair and suggest that the kryptonians' super-senses can be exploited. I still say each of them would annihilate the Avengers 1 team though.

Thor would be Earth's only savior.

The Hulk is too stupid to handle the invasion strategically. Zod would immediately recognize the Hulk's weakness, and elect to focus on the other Avengers first. Provided the other Avengers are dispatched, Zod's army would either leave the Hulk alone to punch a few useless buildings out of frustration or they'd wait until he reverts to Bruce Banner. Without someone to guide/lead him, the Hulk would be more of a liability to Earth than its savior.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Thor would be Earth's only savior.

The Hulk is too stupid to handle the invasion strategically. Zod would immediately recognize the Hulk's weakness, and elect to focus on the other Avengers first. Provided the other Avengers are dispatched, Zod's army would either leave the Hulk alone to punch a few useless buildings out of frustration or they'd wait until he reverts to Bruce Banner.

It's also worth noting Shield couldn't bullshit a reason for Banner to involved, as Kryptonians have nothing to do with Gamma Radiation.

Ironman 3 really hurt the image of Tony's suit durability. Didn't it get disassembled by a truck and him pushing it over at one point?

Kryptonians being vulnerable to magic hasn't been established at this point either. Magic isn't even a thing in Man of Steel.

If the Kryptonians can disarm Thor (break his arm/wrist) then Thor is out. I don't think Thor w/o hammer is as strong as the Kryptonians are, and Kryptonians definitely have the speed edge over all the Marvel characters. Heat Vision could also be an effective tool

Depending on how quickly the other Kryptonians handle the avengers, it could end up being all three of them vs Hulk, and I'd have to favor the Kryptonians then.

I think I may give this to Zod after all.

LOL what? Asgardians are crazy durable. no one is "breaking thor's wrist." Loki got slammed around by hulk like a ragdoll and came out of that only "kind of dazed." Thor is WAY over loki in durability.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
In the MCU Banner is still one of the smartest men on the planet...

The Hulk can follow orders as well, seeing as though Tony had him in his pocket as the assist against Loki...

pants

There are really, actually, people in this thread trying to say the MCU versions of the Avengers stack up to DCverse Kryptonians. SMH

Jackpot

Banned
What? There isn't a single feat in the MCU that comes close to what Faora did to Superman and the Soldiers in Smallville and the scale of Zod vs Superman. Snyder took "invulnerability" to its logical conclusion. Even after their battle, Zod and Supes had ZERO scratches on them. What the fuck is Movie! Thor going to do against that kind of durability when aliens make him visibly tired and he shows battle damage?

Thor gets wrecked, as does the rest of the team.

Chitauri weapons blew holes in walls just like any heavy calibre weapon. Hulk shrugged off about two dozen mounted versions blasting him.

Well, I would like to believe that they wouldn't have anything to fight over anyway cause Zod wanted DNA info to rebuild his people and seems to have zero interest in his folk having super powers. Just have Tony and Thor talk to the man and find a star they can live by that doesn't give them supe powers ...

Anyway, Avengers would win cause their the protags in this fight and have the god "Thor" and the friggin Hulk on their side along with all the resources and nukes of shield.

If worse comes to worse Thor could trick em into being teleported to a planet around a sun that doesn't give em super powers.

There are really, actually, people in this thread trying to say the MCU versions of the Avengers stack up to DCverse Kryptonians. SMH

MOS Kryptonians, not "DC Verse".

None of Zod's crew was anywhere close to a DCU Kryptonian, and only Zod figured out how to fly, and that was in the last five minutes.

Are the avengers going to sit around and wait for the kryptonians to all get more powerful? or are we assuming they're all at the level of Zod at the climax right away?

Tony Stark made a brand new element. He can make kryptonite.

What's really funny is Iron Man, Cap, and shield would get wiped out but people are gonna act like Batman has a chance against superman and through the power of bullshit, will.

I don't know how the fight will go down, maybe they'll introduce kryptonite. I don't think supes is to the stage where's he's unbeatable, not by far. We're talking about three kryptonians here though, and batman will most likely come prepared to the fight against superman. We'll have to wait and see at this point, I don't think there will be a clear winner in the movie.

happypup

I think people are forgetting that Zod and co are TRAINED SOLDIERS.

So they have the equivalent of Cap's training AND Thor's strength AND Hulk's invulnerability. They also, in this canon, have no real weaknesses. Kryptonite isn't a thing, Avengers is set entirely during the day, and also heat vision.

I will concede that Thor/Hulk could take some of them on, but all Zod et al would have to do is fly Hulk into space, and hurl him towards the moon. Hulk's out of the battle. They'd fire heat vision at Thor's hammer so he'd drop it, and then decimate him hand to hand.

Cap would earn Faora's respect, but she'd still kill him.

Now if you had Scarlet Widow, Avengers would win.

People also seem to be forgetting that it took the entirety of the movie before Zod learned how to fly and use heat vision and not a single other soldier in his army accomplished that. There is no reason to assume they would all be equally as dangerous as Zod. They would also be unsure of exactly what their limitations were until properly tested. They have no Superman to say, well he can do this I probably can too. I mean Lois lane took out several members of the army with just a little help from Jor El, and she has no training (granted it was on their ship which meant they were depowered for some reason but still).

I always wondered why Zod would make Earth the shithole Krypton was. In the Kryptonian environment they were basically human but in Earth's they had godlike abilities. Why not just get the dna to rebuild your people but keep the benefits of the Earth powers?

Sephzilla

Okay, actually approaching this seriously? I think the Avengers could totally hang with them.

All of the Kryptonians still need to adapt to Earth's atmosphere as well as their own new powers, the only one who fully adapted was Zod. Simply blasting a hole in their suits could disorient Zod's forces enough for everyone to do some kind of damage, especially Thor and Hulk. That or Stark could build another large hadron collider in his basement and make some new element that emits the same kind of energy as a red sun and negate their powers all together.

Zod himself, a General of the Kryptonian army, was defeated by a Kryptonian who had absolutely no combat training in Superman. I think this also means that Thor and Hulk totally stand a chance.

The machine in Metropolis was effectively defeated by standard US military, so I'd have to assume SHIELD forces could easily substitute in this role and also deliver the phantom drive like the people in Man of Steel did (assuming Superman's ship is still there. If it's not, then maybe some Tesseract bullcrap could take its place).

Since Hulk and Thor's strength are both comparable to Kryptonians, you'd have the benefit of being able to send Thor to destroy the other machine while Hulk stays around in Metropolis. Alternatively, Thor and Hulk could double up on Zod and wreck him pretty quickly.

Long post made short - Zods forces were defeated by one untrained metahuman. The Avengers have 2 people that are pretty comparable to Superman. Avengers can totally hang with Zod's forces.

DeathyBoy

Banned
People also seem to be forgetting that it took the entirety of the movie before Zod learned how to fly and use heat vision and not a single other soldier in his army accomplished that. There is no reason to assume they would all be equally as dangerous as Zod. They would also be unsure of exactly what their limitations were until properly tested. They have no Superman to say, well he can do this I probably can too. I mean Lois lane took out several members of the army with just a little help from Jor El, and she has no training (granted it was on their ship which meant they were depowered for some reason but still).

True.

But Faora, her ally and Superman were beating the Hell out of each other in MOS with impact that'd kill anyone save for Thor/Hulk in one slam. Faora in particular was a match for Superman.

It's worth noting though that Avengers don't usually win via force, but strategy. So give Tony a while, and he'll come up with SOMETHING. But then Zod took forty minutes to harness his full power in film-time. You have to figure longer it goes on the more control Kryptonians have.

This. Faora was hitting people about as hard as Captain America was in TWS, only faster.

ueedsj.gif

The Kryptonians need time to ramp up, and also needed instruction on how to deal with their powers once they kicked in. They're not going to have those luxuries here. Thor and Hulk, unlike superman will have absolutely no problems killing them right from the start.

DeathyBoy

Banned
ALSO - why are the Kryptonians there?

They need the codex for the world engine, which Clark has. Without that they can't repopulate Krypton. So if they want to conquer Earth, they're not going to hold back and there's not going to be a world engine/codex. Hence outright destruction. No holding back.

.GqueB.

Banned
Avengers wouldn't stand a chance. Ironman would have his chest ripped out, Cap would get lasered, hawkeye and black widow would get lol'd and all you have to do to beat the Hulk is shoot at him a lot apparently. Thor would put up a fight but his lame ass hammer strikes would do dick all.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zod himself, a General of the Kryptonian army, was defeated by a Kryptonian who had absolutely no combat training in Superman.

Supes had a 30 years head start, soaking in yellow sun radiation for much longer than Zod. That was really the only upper hand he had, if Zod would've been on Earth for 30 years he would've bodied Superman no problem.

bryanee

Only Thor and Hulk would put up any kind of fight. The kryptonians win, maybe the Avengers could call in Superman to help em out a little.

I have yet to see anything that proves the Avengers can handle the speed of the kryptonians, Faora would blitz the shit out of the Thor.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Avengers wouldn't stand a chance. Ironman would have his chest ripped out, Cap would get lasered, hawkeye and black widow would get lol'd and all you have to do to beat the Hulk is shoot at him a lot apparently. Thor would put up a fight but his lame ass hammer strikes would do dick all.

Why would Thor be there anyway?

He comes in Avengers to get Loki. No Loki, No Thor.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thor could decimate the whole team. Hulk could decimate the whole team. Hell even iron man would stand somewhat of a decent chance against one of them. Cap, hawkguy and scarjo would get turned into pulp.

JB1981

Well, I would like to believe that they wouldn't have anything to fight over anyway cause Zod wanted DNA info to rebuild his people and seems to have zero interest in his folk having super powers. Just have Tony and Thor talk to the man and find a star they can live by that doesn't give them supe powers ...

Anyway, Avengers would win cause their the protags in this fight and have the god "Thor" and the friggin Hulk on their side along with all the resources and nukes of shield.

If worse comes to worse Thor could trick em into being teleported to a planet around a sun that doesn't give em super powers.

Man of Steel should have showed a scene or two of Zod and Co. high on the power that the Earth's gravity was giving them. This would have at least offered a more plausible explanation for why they wanted to inherit the Earth in addition to retrieving the Codex.

massoluk

Banned
Basically, "throw them into the Sun" still applies to MOS's Superman, including fight against Hulk and Thor.

Because of that, I don't know how they are going to sell me Batman vs Superman fight in Dawn of Justice.

I believe the Hulk is substantially more powerful than Kryptonians. In my mind Kryptonians and Asgardians are similar powerwise, in that they both appear like indestructible gods to regular humans. In the Avengers it is clear that Hulk is stronger than both Loki and Thor, unless Thor was holding back.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Thor is back on earth permanently and gives up Asgard as of Thor 2.

So we're assuming Avengers happened and this is Avengers 2?

In that case, Shield won't be any use and Tony Stark seems to have stopped being Iron Man after IM 3. So that's two down already.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Thor could decimate the whole team. Hulk could decimate the whole team. Hell even iron man would stand somewhat of a decent chance against one of them. Cap, hawkguy and scarjo would get turned into pulp.

Tony Stark will get melted inside his own suit via heat vision, the kryptonians would treat Tony like a tin man toy.

happypup

True.

But Faora, her ally and Superman were beating the Hell out of each other in MOS with impact that'd kill anyone save for Thor/Hulk in one slam. Faora in particular was a match for Superman.

It's worth noting though that Avengers don't usually win via force, but strategy. So give Tony a while, and he'll come up with SOMETHING. But then Zod took forty minutes to harness his full power in film-time. You have to figure longer it goes on the more control Kryptonians have.

Absolutely, it would be touch and go, but the strength of the Avengers team is not in their sheer power but in their ability to come up with strategies and to exploit weaknesses, For the next couple of avengers movies they will be severely outmatched physically, but they will still find a way to win. I don't see how this scenario would be any different. I mean the longer the world engine is operating the weaker the Kryptonians become anyway so they are effectively beating themselves because their enemies are not weakened by the world engine like Supes would be. Sure some of the heroes would need some breathers to stay alive if it got that far, but I doubt Hulk and Thor would be seriously effected.

ALSO - why are the Kryptonians there?

They need the codex for the world engine, which Clark has. Without that they can't repopulate Krypton. So if they want to conquer Earth, they're not going to hold back and there's not going to be a world engine/codex. Hence outright destruction. No holding back.
Why would they want to conquer earth if not to say "fuck you for not giving us the codex"?

That's why I call this fight a non-starter anyway. The need the codex to give 2 shits about earth, they have no interest in their race having super powers, earth has great minds that could just find a better planet for them to terraform that isn't earth ... or the earth heavy hitters would just try to kill em from the start when they're still not supes level because they GAVE earth a time to go over the options ... or Thor can order a beam of GTFO of here and just SEND them to a planet they can't have powers on seeing how they know a fuck ton about aliens in their part of the realm.

Brains people, not everything's brute force.

So we're assuming Avengers happened and this is Avengers 2?

In that case, Shield won't be any use and Tony Stark seems to have stopped being Iron Man after IM 3. So that's two down already.

Didn't watch Thor 2 I see. He goes back because he has a strong interest in earth's welfare, watches it periodically via heimdall, and has a better connection to it than he does to Asgard. The only reason he was gone after Avengers was because a war broke out.

If we're talking about "The Avengers" vs. Zod's crew, there is no plausible reason Thor wouldn't be there.

Pretty sure he'd suit back up for this.

IM3 also establishes that Tony modified extremis and incorporated it into his body. Whatever he's running around with is MORE powerful than his suits, but we don't know what the capabilities are yet.

Penguin

MOS Kryptonians, not "DC Verse".

None of Zod's crew was anywhere close to a DCU Kryptonian, and only Zod figured out how to fly, and that was in the last five minutes.

Are the avengers going to sit around and wait for the kryptonians to all get more powerful? or are we assuming they're all at the level of Zod at the climax right away?

But the assumption is they wouldn't have much time

Sure Zod forces don't have all their powers, but they have training, they have superspeed and super strength, you can get pretty far on that with most of MCU Avengers.

Realistically Black Widow and Hawkeye are gone from the start.
Rip through Iron Man's suit and he is done.

Captain America, Hulk and Thor are the best shot. And I don't see them doing anything that puts down Zod forces before they are able to develop their powers more. Or if nothing else have enough forces to throw at them to the point of exhaustion. I mean granted, I believe only 3 Krpytonians are actually ever on Earth, but that doesn't mean the rest of Zod's crew couldn't be used as fodder.

LOL what? Asgardians are crazy durable. no one is "breaking thor's wrist." Loki got slammed around by hulk like a ragdoll and came out of that only "kind of dazed." Thor is WAY over loki in durability.

Durability seems widely inconsistent in MCU (Iron Man's armor). Thor got manhandled by Malekith in the next movie, who was killed by a falling ship?

Isn't Thor the guy who's been tricked by Loki like 3 times now?

Dabanton

These threads are getting out of hand lol.

If I understand it the more angry the hulk gets the more powerful he gets?

Is that right?

But the assumption is they wouldn't have much time

Sure Zod forces don't have all their powers, but they have training, they have superspeed and super strength, you can get pretty far on that with most of MCU Avengers.

It's basically Thor and Hulk vs. Zod's generals here for this argument- maybe Iron man, depending on how weak the kyrptonians are when they land.

Realistically Black Widow and Hawkeye are gone from the start.
Rip through Iron Man's suit and he is done.

probably true, but Iron Man is a glass cannon- doesn't seem all that durable, but a repulsor blast to the face is probably going to do a lot of damage. Tony can also fly, whereas none of the kryptonians can.

Captain America, Hulk and Thor are the best shot. And I don't see them doing anything that puts down Zod forces before they are able to develop their powers more. Or if nothing else have enough forces to throw at them to the point of exhaustion. I mean granted, I believe only 3 Krpytonians are actually ever on Earth, but that doesn't mean the rest of Zod's crew couldn't be used as fodder.

Cap is a weird choice here, he's fodder immediately. Thor throws around lightning like it's going out of style, and flat out murders ice giants in Thor 1 for shits and giggles. Hulk just tears them apart, none of the Kryptonians are as physically powerful as hulk is.

Shield also has a ton of tech that can and will hurt kryptonians if they choose to use it- TWS establishes this. They are way, way way past the US army in MOS.

Durability seems widely inconsistent in MCU (Iron Man's armor). Thor got manhandled by Malekith in the next movie, who was killed by a falling ship?

Malekith is a dark elf, and the dark elves are a rival race to the asgardians. they're all superhumans. The "accursed" are amped versions of dark elves that are MASSIVELY stronger than Thor is, at least in the comics.

Isn't Thor the guy who's been tricked by Loki like 3 times now?

Loki is thor's brother, has known him for thousands of years and is a master illusionist and magician. how does this apply to Zod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom