• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Avengers (MCU) have stopped the invasion of Earth by Zod (MoS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

Ironman 3 really hurt the image of Tony's suit durability. Didn't it get disassembled by a truck and him pushing it over at one point?

That's specific to the way the Mark 42 is designed, though. It joins together in pieces and parts and it's also supposed to be the one Tony designed after like two straight days without sleep, so it's not his most durable at all. Doesn't seem like he came up with anything to fuse the pieces together once it's assembled.

But presumably whatever new suits he designs after fully recovering from his nervous breakdown will be of higher quality.

rogers can aim beams reflected off the shield. he did it with Tony in the Avengers.

By the hulk? yeah, they're dead. again, Zod's neck was snapped and he was killed, so enough blunt force trauma will kill them.

LOL. that enclusure was designed to hold the hulk in it. What makes you think it's glass?

Zod got his neck snapped by Superman and it caused a shockwave. Loki got slammed on concrete that only caused small ass craters, you're insane man.

LOL. that enclusure was designed to hold the hulk in it. What makes you think it's glass?

Okay, no one seems to be understanding this. If normal humans can create an enclosure that can hold the Hulk and Thor, then Kryponians will have no trouble dealing with those two characters.

No amount of mental gymnastics will change this fact. It doesn't make the Avengers worse, so it's okay to admit that they'd be beaten.

BadAss2961

All those debris wouldnt form if the beam get reflected instantly

Has Cap reflected such beams before in the MCU? Or anything? I don't remember. At best, he'd probably block some of it before getting knocked off balance by its force.
Look at that clip again. Cap is sending dudes flying 20 feet through the air in a single hit. That's not "human level." Faora is stronger (the superman throw clip is definitive) but she's not doing much more to the US army than rogers was, only faster.

You're right. It's weird though because his power is so inconsistent. One minute he's sending a dude flying, but usually he looks pretty normal.

I just saw the movie a few days ago too.

People in Britain called China a different realm in old days. Don't use their Ol Yee english as a fact. It's territories. They don't mention anything about a multi-verse.

JHS1000.jpg

It's 9 realms, linked by the world tree. The entirety of the earth realm including where the GOTG are is in ONE of those. It's not a distance issue. If you didn't see Thor 2, just say so.

Okay, no one seems to be understanding this. If normal humans can create an enclosure that can hold the Hulk and Thor, then Kryponians will have no trouble dealing with those two characters.

No amount of mental gymnastics will change this fact. It doesn't make the Avengers worse, so it's okay to admit that they'd be beaten.

SHIELD isn't "normal humans." They've been running around with alien technology and whatever HYDRA cooked up from messing around with the tesseract for decades. The helicarrier itself is a flying aircraft carrier equipped with a cloaking device. Marvel Science, even MCU marvel science is so far past "normal human" science it's not in the same discussion. If shield has technology developed that could "supposedly" hold the hulk (it had never been tested) but failed to hold Thor, this isn't a knock against him.

Carbonox

Everyone but Thor and Hulk would be wrecked in a second by Faora alone. The rest of the Avengers are grossly grossly underpowered compared to the Kryptonians. Iron Man included.

The MCU does remind me how I've yet to be impressed by anything Thor does power-wise. I love the character but surely he's capable of some next level Superman-like wanton destruction if he wanted to. We see glimpses of lighting beams or lightning powered hammer strikers but never anything that made me go "woah". Like full on rage mode Thor leveling his opponents.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Huh? Cap is fighting at human level speed and power. Faora was dashing around at light speed and knocking dudes around like bowling pins.

faora-pwn.gif

Can you guys please stop with this 'light speed' nonsense. It's fast but its nowhere near that. Hell even supes was barely flying faster than iron man in MoS.

"Normal" humans in MCU are making engines that can lift and maintain an over sized aircraft carrier indefinitely in the air. Unless it is actually shown that those Kryponians can break said enclosure, then you can't simply assume they will (not that Thor had much trouble breaking it anyway, a single serious hit got him out of it).

happypup

But it couldn't hold Thor, and it probably couldn't hold the Hulk either, but it was designed for that purpose so it is very likely the 'glass' is made of some pretty strong stuff.

Well with respect to Cap, he is a brilliant strategist and would probably be the one NOT on the front line with this fight. It would be pointless, he is out-powered in every conceivable way. Just because we see him handling business in the Winter Soldier does not mean that he can do that to a kryptonian. No way, please let's be realistic in a comic book sense.

If the fight was taken to him, I am sure he can find a way to surprise them but, it wouldn't be anything really destructive as he is not strong enough to use his shield as a weapon against them. Now if he gave Hulk his shield, different story(shout out to anyone who knows what I mean by that).

Oregano

From wut I see in the Avengers Thor and Hulk AND IM can all fly through the sky as fast as they do in MoS (Hulk when Jumping).

And I don't think any of the peeps in MoS are faster than lightning. Like I said, it will have to be a smart fight but it's well with-in reason to think that Hulk and Thor can get the 3 of them in one area long enuff to be beamed to a red sun planet.

Not a chance. Supes gets from the Indian ocean to Metropolis in a few minutes at most and him and Zod get to the atmosphere and back in a couple of seconds.

The Kryptonians hit so fast that they create sonic booms. No one in Marvel hit that fast.

Again Blonsky was faster than Hulk and nowhere close to Faora's level.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Well with respect to Cap, he is a brilliant strategist and would probably be the one NOT on the front line with this fight. It would be pointless, he is out-powered in every conceivable way. Just because we see him handling business in the Winter Soldier does not mean that he can do that to a kryptonian. No way, please let's be realistic in a comic book sense.

If the fight was taken to him, I am sure he can find a way to surprise them but, it wouldn't be anything really destructive as he is not strong enough to use his shield as a weapon against them. Now if he gave Hulk his shield, different story(shout out to anyone who knows what I mean by that).

Hulk is a brainless monster for the most part, he just knows to throw punches and wreck shit how will he even find a way to use Cap's shield in combat in a beneficial way. He'll probably just throw the shield back at Cap killing him in the process.

Not a chance. Supes gets from the Indian ocean to Metropolis in a few minutes at most and him and Zod get to the atmosphere and back in a couple of seconds.

The Kryptonians hit so fast that they create sonic booms. No one in Marvel hit that fast.

Again Blonsky was faster than Hulk and nowhere close to Faora's level.

Blonsky got genetically modified into a superhuman, but wasn't fast enough to avoid a kick from hulk, which knocked him out. Hulk's stats all get better the angrier he is, which is why blonsky was doing worse as the fight went on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHc4lUaCp4

Blonsky was NOT fast enough to avoid a strike from a pissed off Hulk. He didn't even see it coming, unless your argument is that Blonsky just loves the taste of bark.

BadAss2961

faora-pwn.gif

Can you guys please stop with this 'light speed' nonsense. It's fast but its nowhere near that. Hell even supes was barely flying faster than iron man in MoS.
Nah... Supes flies at will and has a crazy burst in MoS -- all without the need of thrusters kicking in.

About Faora, how much faster do you want it? Any quicker and we wouldn't see the blows without slow motion. Point is, she moves super fast. Even Flash will probably have a part that looks similar to that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Blonsky got genetically modified into a superhuman, but wasn't fast enough to avoid a kick from hulk, which knocked him out. Hulk's stats all get better the angrier he is, which is why blonsky was doing worse as the fight went on.

Blonsky was NOT fast enough to avoid a strike from a pissed off Hulk. He didn't even see it coming, unless your argument is that Blonsky just loves the taste of bark.

Been a while since I've seen this film. It looked like he hit him with a standing light kick. lmao.

Oregano

That is the whole point of the scene. Blonsky is going psycho from the serum and decides to taunt the Hulk and stand right out in the open. There was no attempt to dodge. He had already proven he could dodge him right before that.

happypup

Hulk is a brainless monster for the most part, he just knows to throw punches and wreck shit how will he even find a way to use Cap's shield in combat in a beneficial way. He'll probably just throw the shield back at Cap killing him in the process.

He really isn't though, his only line in Avengers proves that he is able to understand some pretty complex concepts. "puny god" was all he had to say, and it showed buried deep down he had the capacity to not only understand Loki's rant but refute it. He was also able to hold for instructions and take them when given, sure they were simple, but you when everything is added together the only logical conclusion is Loki (as per usual) underestimated the Hulk and not just his strength but his intelligence as well (not that I am saying he is a genius, just that he is not mindless)

Is blonksy stronger than Captain America before turning into
Abomination?

nobody knows. Those were two different super soldier formulas.

Both Banner at the end of IH and Banner at the end of Avengers imply that they're in control of the Hulk, or know how to be. The Helicarrier scene only happened because Loki was using proximity to emotionally manipulate banner into losing that control.

Don't let Hulk hear you say that.

He's not a brainless monster. It's just hard to reason with him because of the incredible amount of blinding rage that typically drives him. If he's angry or threatened he's going to lash out and seem uncontrollable.

When the immediate threat to him is defused you can see he is not just a "dull creature." He's able to share a tender moment with Betty, take orders from Cap, or tell Loki just how puny he is.

Avengers fucked up NYC pretty good.

Yeah but they were actively trying to avoid casualties at all times. You had Hawkeye and Widow getting people to safety, they got the police involved, Cap securing civilians cornered by Chitauri, etc.

Supes didn't seem to even consider casualties until the possibility was staring him in the face. But the wanton destruction in that fight was more Zod's fault than his.

Avengers fucked up NYC pretty good.

Nah, Captain America... said something to someone or something.

:)

If Zod & the World Engine show up AND if Zod & his people have learned about the effects of the Yellow Sun, I have a hard time believing the Avengers could stop them. There were what, 10-15 dickships loaded into that thing on Krypton? So that's like, 10-15 Superman level trained warriors. Double the Avengers numbers.

It'd be a problem.

Error

I watched the Zod vs Supes fight the other day and the destruction complaints are greatly exaggerated. The World Engine caused more destruction than their fight.

The fight also isn't that long, just over 4 minutes iirc.

KalBalboa

Banned
I get the vibe Zod alone could take Hulk and/or Thor.

The rest of the Avengers don't stand much of a chance in an actual fight. They'd have to resort to out-sciencing them.

Aylinato

faora-pwn.gif

Erhm, superman made it to the other side of the planet in like 1 minute. Tony stark had a hard time keeping up with a nuke missile.

My god people are really overstating how strong cap/iron man/black widow/hawkeye/shield are.

Let me repeat the only two left standing are Hulk and Thor.

And we haven't yet seen a magic weakness in MoS, but I'll reserve judgement until the next superman movie

jackdoe

The Avengers might be able to stop the invasion. But everyone would die except for Hulk and Thor. Black Widow and Hawkeye would die instantly. Iron Man would charge in and get his ass killed by the World Engine gravity field. And Captain America would probably get killed by Zod.

Pavaloo

cap got the cops to evacuate everyone underground

at least they address it

and i don't think he's such an easily killed person in the battle. i bet his shield could take the punches and he'd probably direct the shit out of everyone else - when hulk is taking orders: kryptonians get smashed

fury would probably possess all of them with the mind staff or whatever because secret shield project staff or some shit

KalBalboa

Banned
The Avengers might be able to stop the invasion. But everyone would die except for Hulk and Thor. Black Widow and Hawkeye would die instantly. Iron Man would charge in and get his ass killed by the World Engine gravity field. And Captain America would probably get killed by Zod.

What's the toughest thing the MCU Hulk ever did? Punch the space worm, right? Iron Man wound up killing it right after.

Man of Steel Zod and co. threw freight trains around, leveled part of a city with the world engine, sonic-boom punched a bunch... I really think the Avengers wouldn't be able to match more than two in a fight.

Peterthumpa

People give Hulk too much credit. He's skin and bones (and muscles), and in the end, a blade or something like that right between his eyes would probably kill him.

Heck, even those 1st grade monsters from the Manhattan invasion were able to punch him sometimes. He's not that fast, he's strong.

KalBalboa

Banned
People give Hulk too much credit. He's skin and bones (and muscles), and in the end, a blade or something like that right between his eyes would probably kill him.

Heck, even that 1st grade monsters from the Manhattan invasion were able to punch him sometimes. He's not that fast, he's strong.

A heat vision lobotomy from Faora. That's probably the most depressing thing I could imagine happening in that right.

I like how the MCU doesn't push the heroes into ridiculous power levels.

There's no way the movie Avengers could stand up to a Kryptonian, let alone a group of them.

y2dvd

I'm glad the Avenger's MCU isn't so overpowered. You gotta make your characters vulnerable or you end up boring like Superman.

No way Zod just tosses Hulk into space. He'll just buttclap propel himself back down.

Error

cap got the cops to evacuate everyone underground

at least they address it
The Avengers could spare a team member to handle rescuing/evacuation businesses while the others try to contain the invasion. You can't realistically expect Superman to handle rescuing/evacuation while fighting someone with comparable power all by himself.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

It wouldn't penetrate his skin.

BadAss2961

Yeah but they were actively trying to avoid casualties at all times. You had Hawkeye and Widow getting people to safety, they got the police involved, Cap securing civilians cornered by Chitauri, etc.

Supes didn't seem to even consider casualties until the possibility was staring him in the face. But the wanton destruction in that fight was more Zod's fault than his.
Come on man, it's the same shit... Superman is one person doing mostly all the heavy lifting. While the world engine was doing all the damage, he was busy up there stopping it.
Nah, Captain America... said something to someone or something.

:)
It's like people forget the Avengers use Hulk, whose sole purpose is to destroy things.
I watched the Zod vs Supes fight the other day and the destruction complaints are greatly exaggerated. The World Engine caused more destruction than their fight.

The fight also isn't that long, just over 4 minutes iirc.

After constantly hearing about how long Supes/Zod was, I both expected and wanted MORE fighting when it was over. Still do.

Heck, even those 1st grade monsters from the Manhattan invasion were able to punch him sometimes. He's not that fast, he's strong.

You don't just fucking stab the Hulk. Most blades would shatter.

Come on man, it's the same shit... Superman is one person doing mostly all the heavy lifting. While the world engine was doing all the damage, he was busy up there stopping it. It's like people forget the Avengers use Hulk, whose sole purpose is to destroy things.

Well yeah for sure. I agree with anyone who says the "outrage" about the destruction in that first is exaggerated. There's like one weird scene of Clark kicking the truck and blowing something up or whatever but my point was that collateral damage was literally not a thing in the movie until the plot called for it at the end of the fight. Most of the damage was unavoidable and we don't even know if that many civilians were killed.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm glad the Avenger's MCU isn't so overpowered. You gotta make your characters vulnerable or you end up boring like Superman.

No way Zod just tosses Hulk into space. He'll just buttclap propel himself back down.

I kind of love these two sentences back to back.

I also think MoS Superman had a pretty great power level. More defeatable and tangible feeling. No moon-moving crap. His villains were also at the same power level, keeping the fights more than interesting. Watching Superman get winded, knocked out, etc, was really something different in terms of Superman cinema for most people.

Pavaloo

The Avengers could spare a team member to handle rescuing/evacuation businesses while the others try to contain the invasion. You can't realistically expect Superman to handle rescuing/evacuation while fighting someone with comparable power all by himself.

no i don't expect him to do it and succeed

i expect him to try and fall short admirably like he does in the smallville fight

just instead of bashing fists with zod for 8 minutes why not have zod bash supes as he frequently tries to protect people and fight? like fist fight then zod slides a tanker at superman who dodges it causing it to rain cars - superman stops a car from hitting an innocent and tells him to run, but then gets smashed out of frame by zod taking advantage.

would've been a better movie, but this threads not about that so what ever.

Every superman level character has the ability to pick you up and launch you into the sun (in seconds too), Hulk cant fly, he would be dead before he knows what happend. Thor can fly but I dont know his space endurance would he be able to withstand the power of them launching him into space. The rest of the avengers are a joke to them.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Nah... Supes flies at will and has a crazy burst in MoS -- all without the need of thrusters kicking in.

About Faora, how much faster do you want it? Any quicker and we wouldn't see the blows without slow motion. Point is, she moves super fast. Even Flash will probably have a part that looks similar to that.

I want it fast enough to where it would make a difference in the argument presented. If she moved at that fast and hit that hard hulk wouldnt even notice she exists much less have trouble swatting her like a mosquito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom