• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumours. CS:GO :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Valve don't go the TF2 hats/weapons route with this game.

The great thing about CS is everyone can buy the same guns and weapons, it just depends on how much money you have. If people started to get M4s with +10 damage... well, fuck that.

Cartman86

Banned
max-pain said:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

DirectX 11 GPUs 26.76%
DirectX 10 GPUs 65.87%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2b and 3.0 GPUs 4.85%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs 1.30%
DirectX 8 GPUs and below 1.22%

Windows 7 64 bit 42.87%
Windows Vista 64 bit 13.60%
Windows Vista 32 bit 12.42%
Windows 7 9.74%
Windows XP 32 bit 19.87%
Windows XP 64 bit 1.18%
Windows 2003 64 bit 0.20%
Other 0.12%

DX10+ also means less driver/api overhead = better performance

Presumably a directx system requires Vista or 7 right? If you just have a GPU and are on xp you can't get dx11 right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
(._.) said:
So anybody else here think this will launch as a f2p game? I don't see how they could make any money really with a digital shop for this game but I bet you they are going to try.
Ads on the load screens?

max-pain

Cartman86 said:
Presumably a directx system requires Vista or 7 right? If you just have a GPU and are on xp you can't get dx11 right?

Yes, but they have 79% share today. And half a year from now........

i hope they leave in "classic" versions of the maps, that are AT LEAST from CS:S, if not 1.6...

they said dust will be optimized for 5v5. so what happens to those of us that play the regular mode? (12v12 etc.) do we just have to all cram into a shitty 5v5 version of dust? or do they let us play regular dust?

unrelated note: i miss the days of assault being the #1 map and the M4 still had the silencer + short scope.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm betting Gold Plated Ak-47's are gonna be a mighty rare crate drop in this game.

raphier said:
They're not even trying now. We're not getting a 1.6 follow-up ever at this pace.

So-called CS 1.6 purists are among the most insufferable purists out there, it's just so silly. Especially when they try to outdo each other in how 'hardcore' they are.

Keep playing 1.6 if absolutely no pixel should change!

TheExodu5

Banned
They're not calling Counter-Strike 2? =\

Still, I'm all for this. CS is one of the best competitive games out there, and is very flawed at this point (at least in terms of arsenal). A new game with proper competitive features could do it a lot of good. I would love a structured 5v5 matchmaking ladder in Counter-Strike.

Defuser

perryfarrell said:
So-called CS 1.6 purists are among the most insufferable purists out there, it's just so silly. Especially when they try to outdo each other in how 'hardcore' they are.

Keep playing 1.6 if absolutely no pixel should change!
I remember the days when 1.6 came out, 1.5 purists were raging over WON being shut down and hated 1.6.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
They're not calling Counter-Strike 2? =\

Still, I'm all for this. CS is one of the best competitive games out there, and is very flawed at this point (at least in terms of arsenal). A new game with proper competitive features could do it a lot of good. I would love a structured 5v5 matchmaking ladder in Counter-Strike.
This sounds nothing like a CS2.

kodt

Banned
Defuser said:
I remember the days when 1.6 came out, 1.5 purists were raging over WON being shut down and hated 1.6.

hehe yep. Although 1.6 did have the horrible shield, and also Steam was incredibly buggy then so there were some valid reasons.

What is funny is two years later after all the issues were pretty much fixed you still had people bitching about how Steam never works and how the shield is ruining the game. It was clear they hadn't loaded Steam in years or realized that every server banned the shield pretty much.

This new CS has potential to revive the game a bit if they do it well. Many of the impressions so far aren't the best, but at least they are getting the competitive community involved to fix these things. 1.6 wallspam and flashes are great improvements over Source though.

Deadbeat

Banned
Defuser said:
Well Steam when it came out was a giant pile of broken shit. It made more sense to stay with CS 1.5 than jump on board for the time being.

Besides, Condition Zero is the better than CS 1.6. Graphics are a lot better.

ksan

Wow, Valve manages to do everything right with DotA2, but manages to fuck up like this for CS?
I'm impressed by the inconsistency.
Why on earth would they invite CS:S players if they wanted to make a new competitive CS?
That is as bad for the game as if the would have invited HoN teams instead of DotA teams for the upcoming DotA2 tourney.

Maffis

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hope Valve don't go the TF2 hats/weapons route with this game.

The great thing about CS is everyone can buy the same guns and weapons, it just depends on how much money you have. If people started to get M4s with +10 damage... well, fuck that.

TF2 isn't like that. Everyone can obtain every weapon by just playing or trading with other people. And the weapons are side-grades, meaning they aren't better or worse than their stock weapons (this can however be discussed if they really are that balanced)

If CS:GO really will be F2P, then Valve will want to cash in on it in someway, and stuff like hats, skins to weapons and such will probably be in it. But they will never make weapons with stats 'buy only'.

tiff

Banned
I'm not big on the 5v5 competitive focus but I'm really getting into CS lately so I'm interested nonetheless.

Maffis

tiff said:
I'm not big on the 5v5 competitive focus but I'm really getting into CS lately so I'm interested nonetheless.

It will supposedly have normal pub-servers too for the non-competitive. At least according to that reddit guy.

Maffis said:
TF2 isn't like that. Everyone can obtain every weapon by just playing or trading with other people. And the weapons are side-grades, meaning they aren't better or worse than their stock weapons (this can however be discussed if they really are that balanced)

If CS:GO really will be F2P, then Valve will want to cash in on it in someway, and stuff like hats, skins to weapons and such will probably be in it. But they will never make weapons with stats 'buy only'.
Regardless, as an E-sport everyone should start the game on equal terms.

StuBurns

Banned
ZeroCypher said:
Finally, another CS. Source didn't cut it so hopefully this one will make up for that. Does anyone play CS still?
Other than TF2, CS and CSS are the most played games on Steam, every day.

Orayn

darkpaladinmfc said:
Regardless, as an E-sport everyone should start the game on equal terms.
What about LoL? Its micropayment model is more stifling than TF2's, yet it still enjoys a pretty vibrant e-sport career. Sorry, just playing hat-maker's advocate.

Thing that bugs me is, if they announce free to play Source/1.6 amalgamation, won't that severely hurt the sales of Source until it comes out? It makes more sense to just say "okay it's out now."

Concept17

StuBurns said:
CS is the master shooter.

Fixed for accuracy.

I don't play it as often as I used to. But it remains the game I compare all other shooters to as a standard.

Also no iron sights... fuck yes. Worst addition to shooters in the last few years by far.

ZeroCypher said:
Finally, another CS. Source didn't cut it so hopefully this one will make up for that. Does anyone play CS still?

Current Peak
60,236 67,082 Team Fortress 2
46,257 55,238 Counter-Strike
44,730 53,007 Counter-Strike: Source
24,423 28,796 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Orayn said:
What about LoL? Its micropayment model is more stifling than TF2's, yet it still enjoys a pretty vibrant e-sport career. Sorry, just playing hat-maker's advocate.

LoL isn't a legitimate esport. Riot just bought their way into a competitive scene.

Edit: Also, LoL uses a special tourney client that has everything unlocked for their events.

KareBear

I remember a few years back Cliffe said he was working on a new CSS map based on a construction site.I hope that and some other new maps are released with this update.

f0rk

Orayn said:
That scene is held up by marketing dollars from the developers. It is just one of the problems holding the competitive part of the game.

Orayn said:
Riot gives pro's a special account with everything unlocked and 400k+ IP, But becoming top 10 on your regional server/winning ur countries WCG is easier said then done.

I look forward to this game, allows myself to slip into it with the other newbies.

fresquito

Visualante said:
Thing that bugs me is, if they announce free to play Source/1.6 amalgamation, won't that severely hurt the sales of Source until it comes out? It makes more sense to just say "okay it's out now."
I don't think you can hurt sales of a game that everytime it goes on special sale, you can buy for 3.75€. Most people interested in CS already have it.

StuBurns

Banned
CSS is £14, I don't think Valve see boosting the penetration as a focus. In fact they probably don't want to sell people CSS right now, people are going to be less eager to jump in GO if they've just dropped cash on CSS.

That's assuming the Beta is anything like a real release, and I imagine it will be.

Orayn

Jeez, that sounds kind of sleazy on Riot's part. Pardon my ignorance on the topic, then.

I'm still thinking that Valve could make a few bucks off of micropayments if they were limited to fancy skins, stopping short of TF2's sidegrade items. Yes, people would still bitch about the "hats," but if Valve approached it tastefully and didn't release anything that clashed with the rest of the game's visuals, I don't think it would be a big deal at all.

mr_nothin

Banned
ksan said:
Wow, Valve manages to do everything right with DotA2, but manages to fuck up like this for CS?
I'm impressed by the inconsistency.
Why on earth would they invite CS:S players if they wanted to make a new competitive CS?
That is as bad for the game as if the would have invited HoN teams instead of DotA teams for the upcoming DotA2 tourney.
lol
Just stick to playing 1.6 for the next 10 years again.

I'm going to admit. I find that CounterStrike was getting a bit long in the tooth. I hope that this game gives me what I need.

Rur0ni said:
CS experienced some grand resurgence at some point last year I think... that probably combined with some folks moving on to CoD.

You've got that backwards. Source use to have a lead over 1.6. Though lately, whenever a big new game comes out, they tend to lose players from both near equally (see F2P TF2).

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I'd love it if Valve trolled the CS community by showing off a new CS with a cover system and jammy screen.

-Cover System
- Iron Sights
-Unreal Engine Gears of War-like Artstyle
-Regenerating Health

robin2 said:
Also, Tactical Intervention is still silently going on too. I'm curious about it, more than this new cs.

I'm very curious about that as well.

rezuth said:
Summary of the information from StefN thus far:

Gameplay:
- Running with your knife will still make you run faster.
- No iron-sights.
- Seems focused on making it more competitive from the start.
- Air-movement is the same as in CS:S
- Recoil changed.
- Spray now works in a circle instead of a square, still being heavily tweaked.
- Ladder-movement is the same as in CS:S
- Money and health will be incorporated into the scoreboard(for viewers?).
- Described as being CS:S with the nicest aspects of 1.6
- Hit-detection seems improved
- Supports both dedicated servers and matchmaking.
- Bunnyjumping is currently broken, however this is not final.

Ammo:
- Ammo is currently free, however it seems to still be up for discussion and might change.

Weapons:
- Few new guns
- All current guns have been reworked to some extent

Maps:
- All the current maps seems to still be in the game, however many will be subjects of alterations. It is mentioned that the level that will receive the less alterations from CS:S is de_dust2. The levels that seem to get the biggest alterations is de_dust and de_aztec which are heavily modified to work better for 5on5 matches.

Miscellaneous:
- Two new grenade type, first one is a molotov cocktail which creates a fire-blanket that not only burns the you but also slows you down. The second new grenade type is a decoy grenade that plays a firing sounds.
- Armor is currently free but the source claims that he is pretty certain this will change. If not for regular games but for "competitive" modes.
- New money system, nothing much is covered except that you earn a lot less money than you currently do. This does not seem to reflect on prices which seems to stay at a current level.
- Graphics seems heavily improved
- Will be DX9 only.

Already I want to move from Source and 1.6 to this.

ksan

mr_nothin said:
lol
Just stick to playing 1.6 for the next 10 years again.
What a well versed argument, but then again you might like to play subpar games.
When there's a lot of games that are gonna be better than CS:GO, I don't see any reason to play it, but obviously I'm gonna be dissapointed if the game don't reach up to it's potential.

ksan said:
What a well versed argument, but then again you might like to play subpar games.
When there's a lot of games that are gonna be better than CS:GO, I don't see any reason to play it, but obviously I'm gonna be dissapointed if the game don't reach up to it's potential.

You're post was criticize because you stated that Source players had no place in giving competitive feedback. Which is a ridiculous statement since the game is currently one of the most competitive shooters in existence.

ksan

Flying_Phoenix said:
You're post was critized because you stated that Source players had no place in giving competitive feedback when the game is currently one of the most competitive shooters in existence.
One of the most competitive shooters in existence?
That might be the case, but the competitive scene in 1.6 is still way stronger, and I don't know any reason to settle with the worse teams and players.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
as much as the narrow eyed cynical hansom badass in me wants to join the 1.6 purity squad, i'm not gonna lie. i'm excited.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
A focus on 5v5 would be great, IMO CS really goes downhill when servers get more than 6 per team (and when it's 16 v 16 it's terribad).
16v16 is super fun if you get a pretty good group of people...

I just hope they don't turn it into all matchmaking gears of war-esque game where there are no options or even creating your own servers.

I want CS 1.5 just refined. I just am not 100% sure what they could start fixing without making it CS 1.6 again...

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
This game will be awesome as long as it's exactly like whichever specific version of CS I prefer in every single way.

Otherwise it will be complete trash.

kokujin said:
The next CS should be based on Neo.I think it adds some much needed flare to the series.

Csneo.jpg

That must be one big cock he needs to protect.

mr_nothin

Banned
ksan said:
One of the most competitive shooters in existence?
That might be the case, but the competitive scene in 1.6 is still way stronger, and I don't know any reason to settle with the worse teams and players.
And the elitist 1.6 argument pops up once again.

ksan said:
That might be the case, but the competitive scene in 1.6 is still way stronger

Do you have a source for this? Because pretty much every competitive esport event has both CS:S and 1.6.

Not to mention that this wouldn't make much sense. So because CS:S is supposedly less popular than 1.6 (arguably the most popular) in the competitive FPS scene they players should be ignored? I'm really glad that isn't what Japan does with its fighting game entries.

ksan said:
I don't know any reason to settle with the worse teams and players.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Rur0ni said:
Waaat.

Edit: I miss my competitive days. :( Damn adulthood.

Is this why I can spank you at CS? :3

I hope they don't include Dust 2, if they didn't then we'd have at least a day of people playing maps other than dust 2.

StuBurns

Banned
CS and CSS are both played pretty much in equal measure, Valve should be listening to both parties. It's not just about the top .1% of the player base who can make eSports valid, it's about everyone who plays, people helping newer players, the community of it. The 1.6 players I've spoken to tend to be pretty twatish in their hatred for CSS, where as the CSS guys seem much more casual about their preference. If I wanted to build a community around a game, I'd much rather they have that attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom