• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumours. CS:GO :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lionheart1337 said:
Companies don't make games out of the goodness of their hearts. They are a business. No reasons MTs can't work on a competitive title. They'll probably just do weapon skins or something.
You clearly don't know Valve. They have that sort of money to roll around in.

DaBuddaDa

The last thing I need is a new Counter-Strike to come out while I'm playing Dota 2 and Diablo III. My life as I know it is over!

1-D_FTW

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I'd love it if Valve trolled the CS community by showing off a new CS with a cover system and jammy screen.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but honestly, if they know what's good for them, they'll do a radical TF2 style reboot. There's no way they'll please the old fans. Impossible. Anything that's not 100 percent identical will cause a mutiny. So they mine as well accept this group is unpleaseable and go for a new generation of players.

CS:GO sappin' mah Half-Life 3!

Gah damit Lombardi!

The result of the fans picketing outside Valve backfired. For every two protesters that show up at their HQ with signs about HL3, Valve will announce one sequel to each of their existing franchises except for Ep2.

;_;

Gabe-Newell-6.jpg

a l4d style Cs would be godlike. Having specific characters 5 for each team. buy outfits and gear.
I am already neck deep in hats thinking about it.

5v5 is too small.

nothing beats everyone (dead) watching the last 3 or 4 people in the map carefully attempt to take eachother out too.

hopefully i can still TMP rampage to my heart's content when the game gets too serious and i need some laughs.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Some people should read the Reddit link, it sounds like there is a a 5v5 Competitive mode with Ranking (etc) and another mode that is just like previous CS and you can play 16v16 or whatever.

Arnie

I wonder if this is a part of the Half Life 3 package.

A new Counterstrike with all the engine additions made to Source over the last few years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Arnie said:
I wonder if this is a part of the Half Life 3 package.

A new Counterstrike with all the engine additions made to Source over the last few years.
I think it's part of their switch to a "games as a service" company.

I suspect it will be free 2 play and have frequent updates.

Half-Life doesn't fit very well with that model, so it's probably very low on the priority list.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Competitive and F2P are not mutually exclusive, not even for an FPS, and the TF2 model is not the only F2P model.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I hope they change their minds on the team sizes. 5v5 seems a little low for CS.

But, it will be nice to see tense objective FPS matches in competitive again. MLG's Halo CTF doesn't do it at all. It's actually rather goofy to watch.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Krauser Kat said:
HL3, CS:GO, one unannounced breakaway ip game. Valve Black Box
Also includes (HL2, Ep 1 Ep 2)

No point in another Orange Box. Multiplatform AAA development is accepted at the single game $50/$60 price point, and PC-centric multiplayer development can use a F2P model.

Why you ruin my dreams. I could imagine CS:GO being a Arcade or PSN title for quick updating. HL3 will have to get a release on 360 and PS3 if it comes out... soonish.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Krauser Kat said:
Why you ruin my dreams. I could imagine CS:GO being a Arcade or PSN title for quick updating. HL3 will have to get a release on 360 and PS3 if it comes out... soonish.

Valve may not necessarily feel the same way, but I don't think competitive PC-centric FPS has much of a place in multiplatform release. It's too oriented around precision aiming.

Ikuu said:
Competitive CS is 5v5.
Competitive CS for me used to be 2v2! Oh how I miss those days.

I'm not sure if anything will top CSS for me. To be honest, I don't like the recent updates that made it slightly more TF2-ish.

CS is still the best online FPS, though, so even if I don't like it I'll always have Source.

StuBurns

Banned
I did expect a revision of CS:S in the next year or two (or even for the 10th year anny), but I'm pretty stunned it's happening this soon. Valve are out for blood in the eSports world.

rezuth

Summary of the information from StefN thus far:

Gameplay:
- Running with your knife will still make you run faster.
- No iron-sights.
- Seems focused on making it more competitive from the start.
- Air-movement is the same as in CS:S
- Recoil changed.
- Spray now works in a circle instead of a square, still being heavily tweaked.
- Ladder-movement is the same as in CS:S
- Money and health will be incorporated into the scoreboard(for viewers?).
- Described as being CS:S with the nicest aspects of 1.6
- Hit-detection seems improved
- Supports both dedicated servers and matchmaking.
- Bunnyjumping is currently broken, however this is not final.

Ammo:
- Ammo is currently free, however it seems to still be up for discussion and might change.

Weapons:
- Few new guns
- All current guns have been reworked to some extent

Maps:
- All the current maps seems to still be in the game, however many will be subjects of alterations. It is mentioned that the level that will receive the less alterations from CS:S is de_dust2. The levels that seem to get the biggest alterations is de_dust and de_aztec which are heavily modified to work better for 5on5 matches.

Miscellaneous:
- Two new grenade type, first one is a molotov cocktail which creates a fire-blanket that not only burns the you but also slows you down. The second new grenade type is a decoy grenade that plays a firing sounds.
- Armor is currently free but the source claims that he is pretty certain this will change. If not for regular games but for "competitive" modes.
- New money system, nothing much is covered except that you earn a lot less money than you currently do. This does not seem to reflect on prices which seems to stay at a current level.
- Graphics seems heavily improved
- Will be DX9 only.

markot

Banned
Havent played CS in ages >.< too intimidating. And so much pressure when you are the only one left >_>;

Love to see a nice update to it though.

- Will be DX9 only.

Valve your breaking mah heart...... I know graphics arent everything, but they are something!

markot said:
Havent played CS in ages >.< too intimidating. And so much pressure when you are the only one left >_>;

Love to see a nice update to it though.

- Will be DX9 only.

Valve your breaking mah heart...... I know graphics arent everything, but they are something!

I LOVE when I am the last one on my team left. I wish more people I knew played TF2 Arena mode because it rocks face.

raphier

Banned
Why not? If witcher 2 can look nice on DX9, then this will. I don't really get the hype behind DX10 and DX11. DX10 is actually really bad tech and it has brought nothing nice on the table. And DX11 is all about tesselation. It's not really worth it just yet.

Tain

I like Valve, but I never really thought of them as a reliable developer for competitive first person shooters between TF2 and L4D.

And, yet, this sounds awesome!

Tain said:
I like Valve, but I never really thought of them as a reliable developer for competitive first person shooters between TF2 and L4D. !
What?

No, really, what? CS, L4D and TF2 are all top tier competitive FPS. Some (myself) would argue the best!

- Will be DX9 only.

Will still play it, if the game is good. I'm the first to defend Valve's approach to rendering but they really need to step it up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom