• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumours. CS:GO :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crakatak187 said:
Huh? What do you mean market?
No one want this, what maybe 5-10 percent of CS players would be mildly interested in something like this. Why play CS that looks like TF2 when you can just play TF2. It's like if valve put hats in CS. Hats ain't CS. CS is competitive multiplayer at it's (arguably and depending which version) finest, are hats something that will enhance competitive gameplay? Obviously not, it's just a synthetic and often times fairly exclusive accessory that keeps people coming back for more or wasting money on steam games they will never play for an accessory.

Hell look at CS 1.6 tons still play that, it looks like shit compared to todays standards. To sell to the counterstrike market they need a game that plays well, not some glitzy cartoon color collectathon bullshit. If they wanted to make CS that looks or has features of TF2 they would be straight up wasting resources. Anyone that knows anything about valve knows they are smarter than this and that they simply don't have the resources to waste.

MrKnives said:
Oh dear god please no. Don't do it Valve. That would probably kill my interest completely.
Also what's up with the name? CS:GO? Sounds like something you would have on facebook (like someone mentioned)

Read the reddit thread, I posted above. They didn't sign an NDA and they talk about it. No new graphical style, no ironsights, nothing to do with Facebook, built as their most serious effort to make a competitive CS, although it will have a separate "casual" mode.

All the maps they played are heavily modified versions of earlier maps, all the weapons are in (with changes). A special forum will be built for these guys to provide feedback for Valve. Q1 2012 release, beta in September or October.

No hats.

Edit fixed typo :p

The M.O.B

Lol false alarm, I thought it was a true sequel or something.

It is basically a F2P CS:Source that has the graphics of source but Valve are trying to combine the best aspects of 1.6 and source into one game.

Terrordactyl said:
No one want this, what maybe 5-10 percent of CS players would be mildly interested in something like this. Why play CS that looks like TF2 when you can just play TF2. It's like if valve put hats in CS. Hats ain't CS. CS is competitive multiplayer at it's (arguably and depending which version) finest, are hats something that will enhance competitive gameplay? Obviously not, it's just a synthetic and often times fairly exclusive accessory that keeps people coming back for more or wasting money on steam games they will never play for an accessory.

Hell look at CS 1.6 tons still play that, it looks like shit compared to todays standards. To sell to the counterstrike market they need a game that plays well, not some glitzy cartoon color collectathon bullshit. If they wanted to make CS that looks or has features of TF2 they would be straight up wasting resources. Anyone that knows anything about valve knows they are smarter than this and that they simply don't have the resources to waste.
I stated prior to that post that I was indifferent to the idea and that post was mainly stating custom user mods.

54-46!

Hah, can't wait to read the shitstorm on the competetive CS boards. These guys beg for CS2 but in reality all they want is CS with prettier graphics, actually they might not want that either.. I think that they just want the game to be as popular as it used to be six years ago and to have that they need a new game BUT DAMN VALVE IF THEY CHANGE ANYTHING GAMEPLAY RELATED.

Just look at the amount of shit the CSPromod gets, and these guys are actually trying to make the game the community wants.

The M.O.B said:
Lol false alarm, I thought it was a true sequel or something.

It is basically a F2P CS:Source that has the graphics of source but Valve are trying to combine the best aspects of 1.6 and source into one game.

Actually the guy that played it didn't say it's going to be F2P. In fact he assumed it isn't because he saw no hats.

MrKnives

angular graphics said:
Read the reddit thread, I posted above. They didn't sign an NDA and they talk about it. No new graphical style, no ironsights, nothing to do with Facebook, built as their most serious effort to make a competitive CS, although it will have a separate "casual" mode.

All the maps they played are heavily modified versions of earlier maps, all the weapons are in (with changes). A special forum will be built for these guys to provide feedback for Valve. Q1 2012 release, beta in September or October.

No hats.

Edit fixed typo :p

Then my Interest just went up ^^
FPS scene needed something new for a long time already.
I still think the name sucks though

V_Arnold

You know guys, I did not really know how to handle playing SCII, SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE, Diablo 3 seriously in the same time (answer is to leave all and run to Diablo 3 once it arrives, while practice some every day for SCII), but if CS makes a comeback...I need free money and 36-hour days.

MrKnives

V_Arnold said:
You know guys, I did not really know how to handle playing SCII, SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE, Diablo 3 seriously in the same time (answer is to leave all and run to Diablo 3 once it arrives, while practice some every day for SCII), but if CS makes a comeback...I need free money and 36-hour days.

Been thinking about the same "problem" as well. I also have Dota 2 coming ^_^ Going to get tough if I want to play them all.

Grayman

angular graphics said:
Actually the guy that played it didn't say it's going to be F2P. In fact he assumed it isn't because he saw no hats.
wrote a longer post but lost it. F2P won't work for obvious reasons. I can see a demo version plus upgrade to capture the f2p size of playerbase or possibly a optional subscription for extra stuff.

Standard game sale will have the lowest cash flows a few years out but will have the best community going for it.

raphier

Banned
These are some reddit's quotes, so take them as grain of salt, since I am not sure how credible they are.

Yes air-movement feels pretty much exactly like in source.
Meh. taken I disliked Source air-movement by a lot.

Much more like Source, it's made on a newer version of the source-engine and the maps are (some of them heavily)modified versions of the source-maps.
Huge meh.

The people here are all top players from source. Source players and source community people only.
They're not even trying now. We're not getting a 1.6 follow-up ever at this pace.

CS:GO? Right after F2P TF2? And "maybe F2P" Dota 2? I hope its not F2P because hats would ruin this game and buying weapons would suck ass.

derFeef

dark_inferno said:
CS:GO? Right after F2P TF2? And "maybe F2P" Dota 2? I hope its not F2P because hats would ruin this game and buying weapons would suck ass.
Why are you assuming F2P means buying hats and weapons?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
corkscrewblow said:
Oh and if they use the TF2 style I'd be so raged. Please keep that shit in TF2 and out of my CS.
They should try to capture the style of this.

img_intro011u5z.gif

derFeef

^^^ yes!

Ikuu said:
Doesn't leave many other options to make money.
Do they need to make money out of it? It sounds like they are going to make it highly competitive and microtransactions would clash with that type of game.

Igo

Completely lost interest in this when I read they were consulting with source pro's instead of the old school 1.6 guys. I wasn't even aware a competitive source scene still existed until this.

f0rk

Igo said:
Completely lost interest in this when I read they were consulting with source pro's instead of the old school 1.6 guys. I wasn't even aware a competitive source scene still existed until this.
Stupid BS like this is why there will never be a new game 1.6 players are happy with

derFeef said:
^^^ yes!

Do they need to make money out of it? It sounds like they are going to make it highly competitive and microtransactions would clash with that type of game.

Companies don't make games out of the goodness of their hearts. They are a business. No reasons MTs can't work on a competitive title. They'll probably just do weapon skins or something.

mr_nothin

Banned
I really cant wait for all of the complaining about how this isnt CS and how ppl are going to stick with cs 1.6 and css. I, for one, cant wait for counterstrike with some major changes. I cant wait to relearn new techniques/strategies/tactics/recoil. I'm ready for something fresh.

shagg_187 said:
I'll be fucking pissed cause I bought all of the CS titles a month ago and have yet to properly get into it, which I want to.

But hey, I'll be happy if it's more "awesomer" and a justified sequel.
Odds of that are 1:10000000000
Especially with that f2p? tag in there.

Igo

f0rk said:
Stupid BS like this is why there will never be a new game 1.6 players are happy with
Nonsense. If source was the better game overall, even marginally, I wouldn't have so little faith that Valve could deliver an improved new CS. The fact of the matter is that the changes made in cs:s and dod:s, in almost every aspect, were for the worse.

Igo said:
Nonsense. If source was the better game overall, even marginally, I wouldn't have so little faith that Valve could deliver an improved new CS. The fact of the matter is that the changes made in cs:s and dod:s, in almost every aspect, were for the worse.
Just ignore them man.
It's just people who never played the game, or only played it in 1,6 and/or never got any good to notice the differences.

They don't seem to know that cs saw several large patches before css was released, and that people were happy with most of it until 1,6 came along.

The 'hurr durr cs players don't like change' smartasses are full of shit.
The game saw MASSIVE changes between the beta and 1.5, and people were more than happy to adopt 1.5 en masse.

Igo said:
CS:S is dominant.

Red UFO

I like Counter-Strike, but I really just want a little confirmation that Half-Life is coming AT ALL. Just let us know that you're working on it, that progress is steady, anything :(

Rur0ni

archnemesis said:
Code:
Current Players 	Peak Today 	  	Game
38,473 	                55,238 	  	        Counter-Strike
33,672 	                53,007 	         	Counter-Strike: Source
Dominant in what way?
CS experienced some grand resurgence at some point last year I think... that probably combined with some folks moving on to CoD.

deleted

In what way could they mke profit from a F2P CS, when hats and Weapons are out of the way?

There are still things like classic skins, they could make available, or something like the CoD statistics model thats coming. Pay 10$ to view much more detailed statistics about your last few games, use of weapons etc. Not as a monthly model, just a one time buy. I think people wouldn't be against this so much, if it was for a F2P game and not on a monthly basis.

It's weird that we may get 3 Valve titles within a year.

And there will be some sort of store I bet. I do not think that any future multiplayer game from Valve will not have a store.

Madrical

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
My cock is so confused.
Pretty much this. I fucking love Counter-Strike, by far my most played game ever (maybe other than WoW) but it has such split communities and it's incredibly dated now. If they update it with modern game design (perks, iron sights etc) it'll alienate the old community. If they don't, they won't get new players. If they go inbetween, purists still won't play.

So yeah, it's a toughie. For me, it's Valve so I'll buy it. :D

C&VG seems to think it could be gracing consoles as well. Does anyone know if it's small enough to be a downloadable title? Really all it is, is a collection of maps. So I guess to appear on XBLA it'd have to be under 2GB. I know the PC version is way more than that because a ton of factors but could they reduce it to under 2GB for a potential XBLA/PSN release? Hypothetically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom