• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumours. CS:GO :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Red UFO said:
DX9 only... what?
Like... "not DX11 what" or "not <DX9 what" ?

If former - Valve can create visual compelling games without the latest tech, see Portal 2.
If latter - really? :)

Thinking of it, Tribes: Ascend is going to have a F2P model and will be played competitive. I can see how it might work. Still, F2P does not necessarily mean itemshops and P2W.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really miss CS. The first online MP shooter I've ever played and probably the one I put the most hours into. I've never had a computer than could run Source (lots of crappy hand me downs and now an aging Macbook) so I've never been able to really play it in a while. I would love to see this come out on PS3, if possible. I know it's blasphemy to talk about playing CS on a controller but I'd rather do that than not play it.

True story:

Back in the day, I ran a Counter-Strike server that had like 40 - 50 regular players. My friends and I made up our own game called "Counter-Strike: Global Assault," which mixed a Risk-style invasion system with Counter-Strike matches. Regulars were split into teams and announced invasions of other countries (held by other teams of players) on a forum, and then the matches were set. We had a flash based map that charted out which teams controlled countries. Certain countries were played on certain maps, ie, De_dust for the middle east, de_airstrip for central America, etc.

It went on for a year and while clearly nobody would ever win, it was awesome, and the greatest thing that I ever invented.

I am suing Valve. Even though ... this has nothing to do with anything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ikuu said:
Where exactly does it confirm it?
It's a CS:S style upgrade release and not a complete sequel that significantly changes up things. Valve has been seriously favoring F2P of recent (TF2, almost guaranteed DOTA2) and it would make perfect sense that this competitive upgrade would be the same.

mr_nothin

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
And severs with proper rotations of maps, when they leave it up to the fans it doesn't go to well.
Sounds like that's what matchmaking is for. They should leave dedicated servers up to the fans. If you want the mix up of matches then choose match making. This should be the default model for any and every online game. I dont get why it's not.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
And severs with proper rotations of maps, when they leave it up to the fans it doesn't go to well.

Well, if it has matchmaking like the information above states then Valve will setup a number of their own servers for that to work like they did with L4D, Alien Swarm, and TF2. These should have standard rotations of the official maps.

Technosteve said:
Map is perfect
Change is always good, though. I love the vanilla maps as much as the next guy, but it really annoys me that the CS community didn't adopt the maps that Valve made and they basically just stopped for that reason.

You can never have enough maps!

mr_nothin said:
Sounds like that's what matchmaking is for. They should leave dedicated servers up to the fans. If you want the mix up of matches then choose match making. This should be the default model for any and every online game. I dont get why it's not.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Well, if it has matchmaking like the information above states then Valve will setup a number of their own servers for that to work like they did with L4D, Alien Swarm, and TF2. These should have standard rotations of the official maps.

I read rezuth's post but somehow missed the matchmaking bit, so you two are right, everything is looking pretty fucking good.

cwmartin said:
dust2 is the perfect map, in every sense.
CS has so many perfect maps:

Dust, Dust 2, Italy, Aztec, Office, Inferno, Cbble, Nuke...

I always wanted Siege to get officially ported over to Source :(

Also, Assault benefited greatly by the changes made in Source, so it's not always a bad thing to revamp a map!

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, Witcher 2 made that argument look hilariously stupid, as did Crysis 2 on launch.
You can definitely still do some great things with DX9, but having stuff like tesselation doesn't exactly hurt. I'm sure the game will still look fine so it's not a huge deal, but DX11 isn't exactly brand spanking new anymore and it bothers me when it's absent.

TGMIII

Foliorum Viridum said:
CS has so many perfect maps:

Dust, Dust 2, Italy, Aztec, Office, Inferno, Cbble, Nuke...

I always wanted Siege to get officially ported over to Source :(

Also, Assault benefited greatly by the changes made in Source, so it's not always a bad thing to revamp a map!

As much as I love cbble it's hardly a perfect map, you're lucky to win 3 rounds on the T side. Aztec is a fun pub map, not so much in competitive matches.

StuBurns

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
You can definitely still do some great things with DX9, but having stuff like tesselation doesn't exactly hurt. I'm sure the game will still look fine so it's not a huge deal, but DX11 isn't exactly brand spanking new anymore and it bothers me when it's absent.
Valve have shown little interest in supporting features most users can't benefit from.

mr_nothin

Banned
I guess this would also explain all the recent CSS Beta updates after going 5+ months without anything. They've made a lot of changes in the past week. I'm gussing the CSS Beta has basically turned into the beta for CS:GO

I really hope they allow jump shots with the AWP...no matter how "noobish" it is to the "pros". I've killed a bunch of cal/cpl players with jump shots. My jump shots are like no other and awping mid in dust 2 and killing half the team at the beginning of the round is so much fun because of that.

Also, all the classic map frothing is cool but we REALLY need a ton of new maps.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Serious question :

Are we going to see HL3 within the foreseeable future? That is 1-2 years, say before 2013 ends.

awwyeahgurrl said:
As much as I love cbble it's hardly a perfect map, you're lucky to win 3 rounds on the T side. Aztec is a fun pub map, not so much in competitive matches.
I think they're perfect maps. I've never felt an unfair advantage on one side or another.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Corky said:
Serious question :

Are we going to see HL3 within the foreseeable future? That is 1-2 years, say before 2013 ends.
I don't think this release needs the companies full attention if that's what you are say.

StuBurns

Banned
Corky said:
Serious question :

Most likely. This doesn't seem like all that much work really. It seems like it's CS:S going free to play and getting a sizable patch basically.

Corky said:
Serious question :

I would say that we'll see it in 2013. I think that Valve will convert their remaining Source-based multiplayer titles to F2P like DoD: Source. Then we'll see HL3 sometime after that.

a new CS needs new maps. I am sick of dust, office, dust2 etc. There is nothing worse entering a server were they only play these maps over and over again.

Exuro

crimsonheadGCN said:
I would say that we'll see it in 2013. I think DoD: Source will be massively updated and go free to play within the next year. Then Valve will release HL3 sometime afterwards. :p
I'm okay with this. I would enjoy an upgraded version of DoD:Source.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Stallion Free said:
I don't think this release needs the companies full attention if that's what you are say.

Not really, what I'm saying is , albeit slightly cynical, "are we EVER getting HL3? " which of course comes across as a stupid question initially, but! I mean Half - Life 3, and not somekind of pseudo sequel,expansion, spiritual successor, spin off or Gordon Dance Party, etc etc.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
a new CS needs new maps. I am sick of dust, office, dust2 etc. There is nothing worse entering a server were they only play these maps over and over again.
There's a few good servers that rotate Militia, Havana, Piranesi, Prodigy, Train, Tides etc if you look!

I love playing those maps, still. Especially Havana - such an underrated map.

cwmartin

Foliorum Viridum said:
I think they're perfect maps. I've never felt an unfair advantage on one side or another.

Cbble,Nuke,Aztec,Dust,Train --> CT favored

Dust2,Inferno --> T favored

General consensus i think. Mill and Fire tend to be the only neutral maps, as they were invented for the CPL.

EDIT: Only mentioned competitive rotation de_maps btw.

StuBurns

Banned
Corky said:
Not really, what I'm saying is , albeit slightly cynical, "are we EVER getting HL3? " which of course comes across as a stupid question initially, but! I mean Half - Life 3, and not somekind of pseudo sequel,expansion, spiritual successor, spin off or Gordon Dance Party, etc etc.
What do you consider a 'pseudo sequel'?

The next chapter of the arc from the episodes will come out sooner rather than later. Doug Lambardi said we won't be waiting too long till we hear about it.

cwmartin said:
Cbble,Nuke,Aztec,Dust,Train --> CT favored

Dust2,Inferno --> T favored

General consensus i think. Mill and Fire tend to be the only neutral maps, as they were invented for the CPL.

EDIT: Only mentioned competitive rotation de_maps btw.
Maybe if you're hardcore and play in ridiculous leagues or whatever, but as a pubber they're all varied, have great design and with randoms there's never an advantage one way or another.

TGMIII

Foliorum Viridum said:

Fair enough, I mean it's really not a matter of opinion. Cbble is one of the most one sided maps at a competitive level, on public it doesn't matter what map it is I guess but I personally wouldn't rate a map from public play.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Fair enough, I mean it's really not a matter of opinion. Cbble is one of the most one sided maps at a competitive level, on public it doesn't matter what map it is I guess.

Aye this. Cbble is rarely (read: never) played competitively because it's so unbalanced.

Exuro

snoopeasystreet said:
If this is true, Valve are going all in with the free to play. I don't really have a problem with it.
And if that's true, we should be getting some sort of hat type system I would think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Exuro said:
And if that's true, we should be getting some sort of hat type system I would think.
Realistic art style would probably dictate that it be helmets + armor/clothing. Which is completely fine with me as nowhere near enough FPS games allow that customizability.

max-pain

Shalashaska161 said:
What is the DX11 penetration at these days? Do we have any solid numbers at all?

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

DirectX 11 GPUs 26.76%
DirectX 10 GPUs 65.87%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2b and 3.0 GPUs 4.85%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs 1.30%
DirectX 8 GPUs and below 1.22%

Windows 7 64 bit 42.87%
Windows Vista 64 bit 13.60%
Windows Vista 32 bit 12.42%
Windows 7 9.74%
Windows XP 32 bit 19.87%
Windows XP 64 bit 1.18%
Windows 2003 64 bit 0.20%
Other 0.12%

DX10+ also means less driver/api overhead = better performance

derFeef said:
Like... "not DX11 what" or "not <DX9 what" ?

If former - Valve can create visual compelling games without the latest tech, see Portal 2.
If latter - really? :)

Thinking of it, Tribes: Ascend is going to have a F2P model and will be played competitive. I can see how it might work. Still, F2P does not necessarily mean itemshops and P2W.
Portal 2 was a game set inside cubes and spheres. I don't doubt that it was impressive in some places but it's a one note game.

(._.)

Banned
So anybody else here think this will launch as a f2p game? I don't see how they could make any money really with a digital shop for this game but I bet you they are going to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom