• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 at X10

Gazunta

I dunno guys, I buy thirteen games a week and I guess I liked Crackdown but there's something about the way the bricks are textured that kind bugs me. I guess I'll cancel my pre-order because there's no way Ruffian can make a good Crackdown IMO.

I'M BEING SARCASTIC AND MAKING A POINT ABOUT PEOPLE FINDING STUPID INANE CRAP TO COMPLAIN ABOUT WITH THE GAME OF THE YEAR, THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK

JaggedSac

Alx said:
Crackdown 2 has a lot of potential, I hope it will be at least as fun as the first one. :)
I'm just not convinced by the "gliding" thing... it's one of the thing I didn't really like in games like Infamous and Prototype (even though I must admit I didn't play the full games). Sure it's more convenient and gives you more freedom, but there was something with the giant leaps of Crackdown1 that made the game special and coherent, you could cover huge distances but if you missed your target platform you would drop like a stone and crash in the pavement...

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the glide cuts off after a small amount of time which would maintain the danger of trying to reach somewhere far off using the glide.

Linkified

JaggedSac said:
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the glide cuts off after a small amount of time which would maintain the danger of trying to reach somewhere far off using the glide.

The way I interporated the glide is that if you jump from a tall building to another one you won't get as big a glide, however, when you jump out of the helicopter and your high in the sky you'll get a longer glide.

Linkified

SmokyDave said:
That looks fucking awesome. 2010 is shaping up to be an insane year for multi-platform owners.

Tell me about it, everytime theres one of these events a multitude of games get added to the list. Its going to be criminal the amount of games that will go into my backlog that God knows when I'll play, hell I have games from 2007 still kicking it in my backlog.

Sill4

dyergram said:
Hey maybe we will get the downloadable islands from crackdown 1 we were promised as well...
Wat.

What islands? I want some fucking islands!

One of the highlights of Saint's Row 2 was going from sialnd to island exploring
and discovering giant Sea Bunnies

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
S1kkZ said:
no videos, no trailer?
they did a 20 minute presentation, can we expect videos from that?

There will be some footage released. I'm hoping to have more details on that later today.

Wiggum2007

Are we going to be stuck wearing that shitty generic looking armor and helmet?? I want to be a marilyn manson or wise-old-asian-master agent again!

DogWelder

Wiggum2007 said:
Are we going to be stuck wearing that shitty generic looking armor and helmet?? I want to be a marilyn manson or wise-old-asian-master agent again!
I certainly hope not; they said there would be some form of character customization this time. I only used the black dude in the first one since the other presets looked so ridiculous.

esc said:
I certainly hope not; they said there would be some form of character customization this time. I only used the black dude in the first one since the other presets looked so ridiculous.
I think I read somewhere that there wouldn't be character customization this time -- your character's appearance is based solely on your skill progression and all the maxed out agents look the same. I hope this isn't the case, but the screenshots seem to be pointing in this direction.

Wiggum2007

esc said:

Ridiculous-ly awesome I think you mean. And there were the 4 free DLC ones too, a few of which had helmets but were still way less generic looking then what we've seen here.

DogWelder

Net_Wrecker said:
So you hope there are less options? What kind of thinking is that? At least all the other agents looked unique in their own way. Now everyone might be stuck using this generic RoboCop, and have no choice whatsoever.
"Are we going to be stuck wearing that shitty generic looking armor and helmet??"

I certainly hope not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, this is one 360 exclusive I really want. Hope it's not so mindshatteringly amazing as to make me regret choosing PS3 over it. I love open world games.

RBH

Gazunta said:
I dunno guys, I buy thirteen games a week and I guess I liked Crackdown but there's something about the way the bricks are textured that kind bugs me. I guess I'll cancel my pre-order because there's no way Ruffian can make a good Crackdown IMO.

I'M BEING SARCASTIC AND MAKING A POINT ABOUT PEOPLE FINDING STUPID INANE CRAP TO COMPLAIN ABOUT WITH THE GAME OF THE YEAR, THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK
gazunta.gif

goldenpp72

Hawkian said:
Damn, this is one 360 exclusive I really want. Hope it's not so mindshatteringly amazing as to make me regret choosing PS3 over it. I love open world games.

It will be, crackdown is the only open world game that is really a true sandbox.

Fox the Sly

Gazunta said:

You mean the bricks we'll all shit when the game releases? :D

SKILLS FOR KILLS!

First game was such a sleeper surprise like Borderlands. I expect this to deliver in spades. (I was going to say x10 but that would of been a lame joke)

4 Player Co-op? Yes please!

GhaleonEB

RBH said:
Video footage of the helicopter and the glide (in the background):

http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-at-x10-crackdown-2-and-more/17-2031/
:lol

The guy playing it did exactly what would have done in the chopper: fly straight up (and up, and up, and up and up.....), look at the entire city, and then bail out, and have fun during the freefall. I swear there was someone else in a parachute on the way down.

Can't wait to see the achivement list for this game. The first one was a list of 50 challenges that just screamed to be gotten.

Struct09

After listening to some interviews with Ruffian over the last week, it really sounds like they know what made the first game so enjoyable. Can't wait for the sequel.

Jb

Struct09 said:
After listening to some interviews with Ruffian over the last week, it really sounds like they know what made the first game so enjoyable. Can't wait for the sequel.

I also hope they know what needs to be improved: mission structure, targeting system, vehicle behavior...
I'm playing through Crackdown for the 1st time, and I'm really having a love/hate relationship with this game.

Pete Rock

Looks great, cover art is go

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Orange and blue :lol
I've heard at one point they had definitions and charts for these exact sort of visual relationships, but they must have been lost to antiquity

Raide

Jay-B said:
I also hope they know what needs to be improved: mission structure, targeting system, vehicle behavior...
I'm playing through Crackdown for the 1st time, and I'm really having a love/hate relationship with this game.

I know what you mean but keep going. Once you get more powerful and really start playing with the city, the game really comes into its own. Its a slow burner that rewards persistence by letting you feel like a super-cop one moment and a rocket-launching super god the next. :lol

Razgreez

SecretBonusPoint said:
I will never understand GAF's raging boner for Crackdown. Honestly I get that its all about the gameplay and what you can do, but my god those screens are straight up horrible looking.

My sentiments exactly but i'm not one to moan so i didnt air them. Played a bit of crackdown 1 but it was after completing GTA IV so i was on a bit of a sandbox burnout and didnt enjoy it too much. Graphics didnt help though i must admit

First I'd like to say that I'll probably buy this game, however I'm still a little skeptical about a few things.

First, the zombie enemy things at night look really boring to me. I've seen a few videos with them, and it just doesn't look fun running circles around these slow guys only having to worry about them hitting me up close. Forgive me if I'm just not knowledgable on the subject, but when I have amazing powers I want them to be tested by powerful enemies. The first crackdown had the same issue; a hundred enemies would just sit there and shoot at you while you ran around and did crazy shit. I really hope they up the AI and make the bad guys have some level of self-preservation, i.e. sprinting for cover when you shoot at them. Its fun to feel like a badass, but killing sitting ducks doesn't make me feel like a badass.

This is a fairly minor quibble, although it also annoyed me about the first game. While the explosions had cool smoke effects, they look very empty and poofy; making them very un-powerful looking. It would be less of a problem if there werent so many damn explosions, but obviously this game is filled with them.

Last, I'm a bit worried about the environment. Being that this is a self-proclaimed sandbox game, I really want to feel like I'm part of a hustling bustling city. I think gta4 did a great job with this, hopefully crackdown can follow in their path in this regard.

Pushing these issues aside, I think the game will be good; there's nothing better than doing superhero acrobatics around a city, killing everything in your path with a variety of weapons. The armor upgrades look sweet too, I hope customization takes the next step in Crackdown 2.

Top Bottom