• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 at X10

a.wd

AllIsOneIsNone said:
First I'd like to say that I'll probably buy this game, however I'm still a little skeptical about a few things.

First, the zombie enemy things at night look really boring to me. I've seen a few videos with them, and it just doesn't look fun running circles around these slow guys only having to worry about them hitting me up close. Forgive me if I'm just not knowledgable on the subject, but when I have amazing powers I want them to be tested by powerful enemies. The first crackdown had the same issue; a hundred enemies would just sit there and shoot at you while you ran around and did crazy shit. I really hope they up the AI and make the bad guys have some level of self-preservation, i.e. sprinting for cover when you shoot at them. Its fun to feel like a badass, but killing sitting ducks doesn't make me feel like a badass.

This is a fairly minor quibble, although it also annoyed me about the first game. While the explosions had cool smoke effects, they look very empty and poofy; making them very un-powerful looking. It would be less of a problem if there werent so many damn explosions, but obviously this game is filled with them.

Last, I'm a bit worried about the environment. Being that this is a self-proclaimed sandbox game, I really want to feel like I'm part of a hustling bustling city. I think gta4 did a great job with this, hopefully crackdown can follow in their path in this regard.

Pushing these issues aside, I think the game will be good; there's nothing better than doing superhero acrobatics around a city, killing everything in your path with a variety of weapons. The armor upgrades look sweet too, I hope customization takes the next step in Crackdown 2.

well to address your points - 1 they have already said that the freaks will come in different variants running chasing and using cover with projectiles.

- 2 In crackdown 1, the whole "hustle and bustle of a city" was really well done, so I cant see them changing that anytime soon!

Haunted

The first one was fun, but I'm still skeptical about this one since it's not made by Realtime Worlds (Ruffian Games has some ex-RTW members, I know).

To be honest, those screens look pretty embarrassing, even for an open world game.

jett said:
Well someone had to say it. Amazing? Incredible? Wat?
I honestly thought people were joking/being tongue-in-cheek at first. :lol

derFeef

Haunted said:
The first one was fun, but I'm still skeptical about this one since it's not made by Realtime Worlds (Ruffian Games has some ex-RTW members, I know).
Huh, I thought Ruffian is the core team of RTW, and seeing what RTW does (beta of APB was embarrassing) I think Ruffian has the better people.

Haunted

WuselDusel said:
Huh, I thought Ruffian is the core team of RTW, and seeing what RTW does (beta of APB was embarrassing) I think Ruffian has the better people.
Can't say anything about APB, but I thought the head RTW people remained at the studio.

All the better if they (whoever Ruffian's made up of) can nail the fun gameplay again.

Alx

Haunted said:
To be honest, those screens look pretty embarrassing, even for an open world game.

the Crackdown visuals always produced mixed reactions, but I really like the "comic book" style, with simple and clear visuals, bright colours and all. If anything, CD2 seems too detailed for me : I'd rather have no blades of grass at all than these "things" that serve no purpose, and the "graffiti walls" could be regular walls for the better. And I'm not sure about the uniforms of the "soldiers" we see, the NPCs wearing simple regular clothes in CD1 were perfect for me.

Flavius

Haunted said:
Can't say anything about APB, but I thought the head RTW people remained at the studio.

All the better if they (whoever Ruffian's made up of) can nail the fun gameplay again.

Go check Mobygames, then have a look at Ruffian's website.

The only significant difference between the two groups is the lack of Dave Jones as "Creative Director." I have no idea how much influence he had over the first title, but almost everyone else is there.

EDIT: And I'm loving the Groundhog's Day-esque "screens look turrible" comments.

Rad-

Swedish Gamereactor X10 impressions:

Cons:
- Graphics just slightly better than the first.
- Story feels pointless. (because of the nature of the game)
- City is quite empty.

... But none of those cons really matter as there's so much fun to be had that you won't even notice them. He calls it by far the most fun game at X10 and says he is totally sure that he's going to love the game when it arrives.

Dabanton

LordPhoque said:
Screens are horrible but it looks great on this IGN video.

Exactly screens don't matter to me. How does it look on my HDTV from the video posted it looks excellent same as the first game,looks stunning.

There is something so 'clean' about the art style that i really love.

kitzkozan

Crackdown isn't the prettiest game around the corner,but it's hard to beat in term of pure fun.

It easily blow GTA IV in term of raw gameplay/fun factor,that's for sure. :lol

What I want compared to the first is much better mission structure and diversity.The biggest weakness of a sandbox game can be the missions or sidequests within it,which can devolve into a repetitive mess quickly.Crackdown was worse than GTA IV in term of repetitiveness,so I hope they can at least shake up the usual gameplay from time to time.

Jumping around Hulk style and blowing everything up is incredibly fun,but missions should be where there is a feeling of progression (leading to boss battle featuring super powered freaks) and decent challenges for your super powered character.There should also be variety which can change the gameplay,as you can do the usual jumping jack and destruction whenever you want. :p

Don't worry, Ruffian listened to people like you who complained about the open, free form nature of the 1st game. This one apparently will have a more focused (and probably heaviliy scripted) mission structure making it more like the other 99% of action games out there.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
First I'd like to say that I'll probably buy this game, however I'm still a little skeptical about a few things.

First, the zombie enemy things at night look really boring to me. I've seen a few videos with them, and it just doesn't look fun running circles around these slow guys only having to worry about them hitting me up close. Forgive me if I'm just not knowledgable on the subject, but when I have amazing powers I want them to be tested by powerful enemies. The first crackdown had the same issue; a hundred enemies would just sit there and shoot at you while you ran around and did crazy shit. I really hope they up the AI and make the bad guys have some level of self-preservation, i.e. sprinting for cover when you shoot at them. Its fun to feel like a badass, but killing sitting ducks doesn't make me feel like a badass.

This is a fairly minor quibble, although it also annoyed me about the first game. While the explosions had cool smoke effects, they look very empty and poofy; making them very un-powerful looking. It would be less of a problem if there werent so many damn explosions, but obviously this game is filled with them.

Last, I'm a bit worried about the environment. Being that this is a self-proclaimed sandbox game, I really want to feel like I'm part of a hustling bustling city. I think gta4 did a great job with this, hopefully crackdown can follow in their path in this regard.

Pushing these issues aside, I think the game will be good; there's nothing better than doing superhero acrobatics around a city, killing everything in your path with a variety of weapons. The armor upgrades look sweet too, I hope customization takes the next step in Crackdown 2.

Ruffian confirmed 'super' freaks (lol Rick James) that almost match you in ability and WILL come after you even on the rooftops.

Explosions seem weak to you? That's the thing about opinions, and it's something that doesn't exactly affect gameplay.

Ditto for the 'living city' issue. City seemed fine to me in CD1. If anything, I prefer LESS NPCs in my sandbox games. They just get in the way.

This game will fucking OWN 2010. Reach and God of War 3 are probably the only games I'm only SLIGHTLY more hyped for.

Is this image from Crackdown 2? Because I don't remember any characters like this in the 1st one.

Edit: This was on the community section of the NXE last night

0243d862.jpg

Rad-

Crackdown 3 tease:

Ruffian Games has revealed that Crackdown 3 will feature a new setting... if it goes ahead.

In an interview with IncGamers, Ruffian’s James Cope stressed that the company wants to keep working on the IP and already has some ideas about Crackdown 3.

“I hope we do. I really hope we do,” replied Cope when asked if Ruffian will hang on to the Crackdown IP.

“We feel that it's ours to keep now, so it's good.”

“If we get to do Crackdown 3, it'll be something very special and I can't say anything more than that,” he added.

“It'll be somewhere new.”

Cope also revealed to IncGamers that an entire game mode had to be cut from Crackdown 2 so perhaps it will make an appearance in Crackdown 3.

http://www.incgamers.com/News/21128/new-setting-for-crackdown-3

goldenpp72 said:
Shoulda thought about that before shooting down developing a sequel.
They didn't shoot it down, Microsoft did. Microsoft wanted to wait to see how Crackdown did before greenlighting the sequel. RTW got tired of waiting and moved on to APB. I don't really blame them.

Rad-

goldenpp72 said:
Shoulda thought about that before shooting down developing a sequel.

Crackdown did better than MS first thought, and after MS noticed that, they wanted a sequel. But RTW had already moved the development to APB. So RTW didn't really have a choice. I mean, they had to start doing something.

Pimpbaa

Neuromancer said:
Is this image from Crackdown 2? Because I don't remember any characters like this in the 1st one.

Edit: This was on the community section of the NXE last night

Female agents in Crackdown 2? I hope so.

eek5

Rad- said:
Crackdown did better than MS first thought, and after MS noticed that, they wanted a sequel. But RTW had already moved the development to APB. So RTW didn't really have a choice. I mean, they had to start doing something.
RTW could've taken it and hired more people to handle both projects.

soldat7

Neuromancer said:
They didn't shoot it down, Microsoft did. Microsoft wanted to wait to see how Crackdown did before greenlighting the sequel. RTW got tired of waiting and moved on to APB. I don't really blame them.

I think the smart thing would have been to cut APB then. Or significantly delay it.

Nab

Is it just me or does adding a helicopter sort of negate one of the major aspects of the game: climbing things and finding new ways to scale buildings as you level up your agility?

Still a day 1 purchase. Just, I always liked the fact that there wasn't a helicopter in Crackdown 1 and when I got to the top of a tall building, I'd earnt it.

Nab said:
Is it just me or does adding a helicopter sort of negate one of the major aspects of the game: climbing things and finding new ways to scale buildings as you level up your agility?

The devs apparently agree with you, which is why the helicopter is supposedly only unlockable pretty late in the game. :D

Iceyburnz

SecretBonusPoint said:
I will never understand GAF's raging boner for Crackdown. Honestly I get that its all about the gameplay and what you can do, but my god those screens are straight up horrible looking.

SapientWolf said:
Maybe your monitor is really reflective.

:lol :lol :lol :lol Bravo! I LOL'ed at work

Nab

charlequin said:
The devs apparently agree with you, which is why the helicopter is supposedly only unlockable pretty late in the game. :D

That's fantastic. I hereby submit my request to change my "Day 1 purchase" statement to DAY ZERO.

Dipswitch

The devs need to make sure the chopper is usable in the demo! Assuming they are going to allow for accelerated ability earning like in the first demo, that hopefully should be a no brainer.

Dynoro

acm2000 said:
Listen up Agents! We've just announced the Crackdown 2 release date as July 9, 2010. Prepare yourself!
And there goes the summer :lol Hopefully there'll be a demo out beforehand though to get some agent skills back in practice

Xabora

acm2000 said:
Listen up Agents! We've just announced the Crackdown 2 release date as July 9, 2010. Prepare yourself!
Too far away. >_<
Well, at least some other stuff comes out in between here and then to tide me over.

Top Bottom