• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3: 10 minute pre-alpha gameplay demo

ypo

Dont know about red faction but here the debris is also physically interacting and creating new geometry that we can interact with for example to create ramps for trucks as shown in the cgi reveal trailer.This I think is a huge deal for emergent gameplay.

You can do that in Red Faction.

xblarcade

Right. I want to see what that looks like.

Also, why do the CPU bars never decrease?

If 20x was talking about total use rather than use of CPU power at any one moment then I don't even really know what "20x the computing power of an Xbox One means". Doesn't an Xbox One use the extent of its CPU power in many different situations in a single play session?

Edit:

Looking back they seem to, but it doesn't seem like a proportional decrease to what's happening on screen. It seems like after a building's fall had been calculated there should be a sharp decrease in computing power necessary.

Pretty sure they said that the collisions are still being calculated on the rubble. I'm guessing that the only time they stop is when the pieces get small enough to not matter.

Having said that, I would have like to see them fire a rocket into one of the debris piles to see the collisions et all at play.

he mentions blowing out the base of the building to bring a king pin boss to you instead of climbing a building the old crackdown way. to me that sounds like the destruction applies to the single player. my guess is that they will gate your ability to destroy buildings as the game progresses.

watching the video provides a lot of information on how the destruction works. all the destruction remains in world.

I think they've said that the all-out destruction is not in single player, but I think that's probably for conceptual reasons. In multiplayer, you can blow up an entire region of a map and then when a new round stars, it's all put back together and nobody thinks twice about it. In a single player game, if you destroy a major portion of the city and it stays that way for ever, that might take away gameplay opportunities later in the story.

Also, it would mean you'd have to be online for single player mode.

krang

It would be nice if there was online/offline single player so we could benefit from this in SP if we have a stable connection. Perhaps not so much as being able to level a building, but certainly to take big chunks out of them.

A bit unrealistic, I know, but it would be good.

Sorry if this has been answered, but after buildings are destroyed can we interact with the rubble?

The commentator mentions that "in crackdown fashion" you could pick up a piece of rubble and throw it. Athough it looks like at some point the rubble gets too small to interact with.

Trup1aya

So basically in that video the guy said you can either climb this huge heavy fortified building to reach the top to assassinate the gang owner or you can stand at the street and shoot mindlessly at a stationary object for a few minutes until it falls...

I get that destruction is fun but not at expense of interesting gameplay.

He said that you "could" do that if you wanted to, but he didn't suggest that would be the extent of the game...

Presumably, there will be mobs of enemies shooting at you from all over the place and trying to run you over in their vehicles... So shooting a stationary object until the building falls is probably not something a typical user would be compelled to do, let a lone able to without interference.

Sony does not have cloud infrastructure so just stop. They rent space from other providers because they don't have their own nor will they spend the money to develop it.

Do they?

Sony has developed brand new PS3 hardware to power its PlayStation Now streaming service, revealed earlier this month at CES in Las Vegas. Sources who have been briefed on the project suggest that the new PlayStation 3 consists of eight custom console units built into a single rack server. It's the new PlayStation hardware that everyone will have access to, but few will actually see.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sony-creates-custom-ps3-for-playstation-now

That doesn't sound like they're using someone elses servers, because average servers can't run Ps3 games and Sony obviously hasn't developed a Ps3 emulator yet.

USC-fan

Banned
Right. I want to see what that looks like.

Also, why do the CPU bars never decrease?

If 20x was talking about total use rather than use of CPU power at any one moment then I don't even really know what "20x the computing power of an Xbox One means". Doesn't an Xbox One use the extent of its CPU power in many different situations in a single play session?

Edit:

Looking back they seem to, but it doesn't seem like a proportional decrease to what's happening on screen. It seems like after a building's fall had been calculated there should be a sharp decrease in computing power necessary.

I'm not so sure about the "Xbox One computing power" claims, but it's impressive tech nonetheless.
It still has to store the places of the falling pieces.

Its clear he say this is x times "reserved of physic in xbox one not total power of xbone". Meaning this is x times the amount we set aside of the xbox one total "power"/storage reserves for physics for our game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Some really impressive stuff here. I love how they are using different servers for each part of the city.

I'm finding it hard to understand what they are calling a "server". They define "one xbox" as the resources a XB1 could dedicate to physics, so some % of the total CPU FLOPS. So when they spawn a "server" it obviously is not a whole computer, but some VM with a slice of a real physical server. By defining the "server" as a piece of a real computer they are exaggerating the compute power. If they used a real physical server, then it could probably power many many more sections of the city (whole city maybe), using a real 24 core computer instead of 2 core VM for example. Great for PR though.

It's also very wasteful to persist the debris. They could easily let crap disappear and just persist the big chunks. It would look better and not waste resources just for bragging sake.

watership

From now on, whenever I see something truly the next level in destruction in environments I'm going to post "You can do that in Red Faction."

Trup1aya

Sony actually has to have quite the cloud infrastructure to offer a service like PsNow.
PsNow is essentially calculating whole games in the cloud while Crackdown only outsources physics calculations.
So I don't think that would be an issue.
Maybe if Crackdown shows that this opens up great new opportunities big publishers approach Sony and MS and ask to use their server infratructure for more games that use cloud computing, or they just build their own "cloud", I could see EA and Ubi doing that.

Nah, what this video shows is that it takes multiple servers to handle the physics in one game instance. The servers spin up on demand depending on what's happening in the game.

Sony does have servers for the purpose of games streaming, but they don't have the infrastructure to provide this type of service... The only reason MS has the capacity is because these servers were actually built for and justified by the existence of other parts of their MS' business...

I can't see Sony or any other 3rd party being able to justify building something similar to what MS has, just for the purpose of gaming... It would make $ense for 3rd parties to work with MS if they want these types of features in their games...

Do they?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sony-creates-custom-ps3-for-playstation-now

That doesn't sound like they're using someone elses servers, because average servers can't run Ps3 games and Sony obviously hasn't developed a Ps3 emulator yet.

Game streaming requires a different set of hardware than what PSN and XBL traditionally use. A server can't process a game and send you the video signal.

Both PSN and XBL use traditional cloud/server providers and that is what MS is using here with Azure. PSN uses Rackspace.

Dynasty

Do they?

PSNow is only available in US and UK. Sony would have to limit the game to US and UK. Even then I don't' believe they have enough servers in these regions. Also it ain't like these servers that are used for streaming can suddenly be switched to do what MS is doing with crackdown.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can't you just for once admit that you may have been proven wrong?

How was I proven wrong? I was never even involved in that original thread for the supposed crow eating of a PRE-alpha demo bump. And if it was a shit thread as your brother in arms suggested, then why bump the shit in the first place? Let shit die, no?

Right, wars. Forgot about that. You know, you guys are almost like a little xbox gang in here. The same 5 of you keep this shit going, started once again by Ricardo for quoting me from a thread merger post.

Funks sakes.

USC-fan

Banned
I'm finding it hard to understand what they are calling a "server". They define "one xbox" as the resources a XB1 could dedicate to physics, so some % of the total CPU FLOPS. So when they spawn a "server" it obviously is not a whole computer, but some VM with a slice of a real physical server. By defining the "server" as a piece of a real computer they are exaggerating the compute power. If they used a real physical server, then it could probably power many many more sections of the city (whole city maybe), using a real 24 core computer instead of 2 core VM for example. Great for PR though.

It's also very wasteful to persist the debris. They could easily let crap disappear and just persist the big chunks. It would look better and not waste resources just for bragging sake.

Yeah from the other thread someone said they say it VM clusters.

Torment

Banned
PSNow is only available in US and UK. Sony would have to limit the game to US and UK. Even then I don't' believe they have enough servers in these regions. Also it ain't like these servers that are used for streaming can suddenly be switched to do what MS is doing with crackdown.

Gaikai tech is specifically built for streaming, like On-Live.

Torment

Banned
How was I proven wrong? I was never even involved in that original thread for the supposed crow eating of a PRE-alpha demo bump. And if it was a shit thread as your brother in arms suggested, then why bump the shit in the first place? Let shit die, no?

Right, wars. Forgot about that. You know, you guys are almost like a little xbox gang in here. The same 5 of you keep this shit going, started once again by Ricardo for quoting me from a thread merger post.

Funks sakes.

No they are just that knew what this was from the beginning and the masses just trashed them and this tech. They deserve their day in the spotlight. I was a believer because our business and millions of other businesses use it in the real world. We have just never seen it applied successfully in the gaming world.

Rembrandt

Banned

Funks sakes.

why did you even come in this thread again?

and not almost, our gang is up and running.

nib95

Banned
Nah, what this video shows is that it takes multiple servers to handle the physics in one game instance. The servers spin up on demand depending on what's happening in the game.

Sony does have servers for the purpose of games streaming, but they don't have the infrastructure to provide this type of service... The only reason MS has the capacity is because these servers were actually built for other parts of their business...

This isn't entirely true. With the acquisition of Gaikai Sony inherited a fairly large cluster of servers, suitable for such cloud tasks. That they're concentrating on using them for PSNow instead of anything else, is the companies decision. They also already offer business storage and data solutions with their cloud media service. Obviously Azure has far more servers, but that doesn't really mean much. I doubt Microsoft will allocate a vast number of servers specifically for Crackdown. Ultimately Azure's primary usage is still in alternative business solutions.

Trup1aya

I'm finding it hard to understand what they are calling a "server". They define "one xbox" as the resources a XB1 could dedicate to physics, so some % of the total CPU FLOPS. So when they spawn a "server" it obviously is not a whole computer, but some VM with a slice of a real physical server.By defining the "server" as a piece of a real computer they are exaggerating the compute power. If they used a real physical server, then it could probably power many many more sections of the city (whole city maybe), using a real 24 core computer instead of 2 core VM for example. Great for PR though.

No they aren't... The number of VMs doing work is irrelevant... All that matters is the amount of work being done, and how much computational power it takes to do that work...

They then relate that computational power, to how much work a single xb1 unit can do for the sake of understanding...

Sheesh, they show the shit working in real time and people are still wanting to find a way to call in PR bullshit...

Also, I don't care how 'wasteful' it is. If this tech allows them to deliver the game they want without compromising, so beat it... Gimme all my debri!

pj

Banned
Red faction was great for its time but it is bonkos to think it's anywhere near the same level.

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko8_400.gif

You can see half of the debris falling directly through the ground and immediately disappearing. There is easily 100 times more shit going on in the crackdown demo.

Red faction was great for its time but it is bonkos to think it's anywhere near the same level.

tumblr_nfzbkilPku1r9ibuko8_400.gif

You can see half of the debris falling directly through the ground and immediately disappearing. There is easily 100 times more shit going on in the crackdown demo.

Such a rad game. The multiplayer is still the GOAT.

I think comparing the destruction in this to Red Faction is a bit silly TBH. The objects in Red Faction were made up of big pre-defined chunks. It didn't matter if you shot a certain part of a building with an assault rifle or a pistol, the destruction would always be the same.

Falchion

I was much more impressed by the destruction after this breakdown. It looked good in the initial trailer, but all the little details blew me away.

Trup1aya

This isn't entirely true. With the acquisition of Gaikai Sony inherited a fairly large cluster of servers, suitable for such cloud tasks. That they're concentrating on using them for PSNow instead of anything else, is the companies decision. They also already offer business storage and data solutions with their cloud media service. Obviously Azure has far more servers, but that doesn't really mean much. I doubt Microsoft will allocate a vast number of servers specifically for Crackdown. Ultimately Azure's primary usage is still in alternative business solutions.

The size and scope of microsofts existing cloud business is what makes this economically feasible. If Sony isn't going to build out a similar infrastructure for the sake of gaming alone... Unlike MS they don't have $600mil annual server business to justify the build out...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
As I said in the other thread, I hope the buildings in the final game do not just look like building blocks stacked together.

Tieske

Neo Member
Amazing. I just wonder how much time it takes to set up a piece of geometry for this, and that building variety doesnt suffer for it

As I said in the other thread, I hope the buildings in the final game do not just look like building blocks stacked together.

yeah exactly, no game both nails destructability and having variety in its environments so far

SPDIF

That's a strange way to look at things. Do you feel the same way when you see purely graphical improvements in games? For example, when you see subsurface scattering on the main characters face in a game, do you consider that something that's being done "just for bragging sake"?

creatchee

No they are just that knew what this was from the beginning and the masses just trashed them and this tech. They deserve their day in the spotlight. I was a believer because our business and millions of other businesses use it in the real world. We have just never seen it applied successfully in the gaming world.

The irony is that the people who believed in the tech had to endure almost three years of catty comments, memes, and various other snark from people who seemed to think that "the powa of da cloud" was some unrealistic marketing scheme. Now, the naysayers have had to eat crow for a few HOURS (if they even can bear to admit to themselves what has happened) and they're already tapping out and crying foul.

You reap what you sow.

mike4001_

While it looks amazing, it also seems incredibly wasteful. I don't know that any other game company besides MS could waste so many dedicated servers to simply calculate physics for a console game.

The amount of datacenter juice this game is going to take up at launch is going to be crazy.

The advantage of their virtual Azure servers.

They can scale them as they please. Launch week they just double their servers and scale it back afterwards depending on players.

shandy706

(watches 200' tall building fall and crumble, take out 120' tall building and 50' tall building)

(Watches entire block of multi story buildings go up at once with set explosives.)

"Meh, barely better than the single floor and and two floor stuff from Red Faction." :p

c0de

Presumably it will lag, like any other game... Or boot you out like any MP game does when the server goes down...

Yep, the one server will go down when it's hot outside. They could move the one server dedicated for this to a cold region but perhaps the internet there is too bad.
Let's hope they get the cooling right for the one server or else there will be an outrage!

Raide

If it all works like that, with minimum lag and a handful of players, it will be damn awesome to play. While destruction is not new in games, the scale of what is going on here is massive. I guess the problem is people won't know until it comes out.

I just hope MS do some open test beta to test that cloud stuff out before release.

The Splitting of servers to deal with different parts is also crazy cool. Just hope it all works!

If it all works like that, with minimum lag and a handful of players, it will be damn awesome to play. While destruction is not new in games, the scale of what is going on here is massive. I guess the problem is people won't know until it comes out.

I just hope MS do some open test beta to test that cloud stuff out before release.

I believe they said beta next summer.

Top Bottom