• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

I'm actually serious when I ask this - is there nothing I can buy for this console this year other than Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale?

Wow, this post.

You need to seriously listen to some podcasts with Seanus Blackley, J allard, those guys talk about how xbox could have been something special and could have been something that would be leading Microsoft as a company.

The original Xbox had a lot of great things, lack of games, creativity from developers was not a problem they faced at the beginning.

Without xbox Sony would have never stepped up their game as much as they did during PS3 and PS2 era.

When xbox hit, PS2 was still coasting on sequels, Final fantasy. Once halo was taking off, the started promoting more for games like timesplitters, they tried with killzone.

They started implementing online in PS2 outside of Japan. They worked on their online to get it up to a respectful quality to try and match xbox live. Nintendo isn't interested in the high end powered console market anymore, so that leaves Playstation and Xbox.

So they have to do better and to do so, their whole division needs to work without MS intervention or having agenda's.

So no, your remark does nothing but say " hey we had a good fight, but at least are other business is better than ever right?".

Fuck that.

How many people have been telling MS to "do better"? 5 years? At some point if your not seeing any major changes then you have to wonder what is it that's making MS be so set in their ways. My theory is they ventured into other markets and got good at that. And they tend to do that a lot. I'm not thinking in terms of video games anymore. I'm not even gonna entertain the thought of a world without Xbox cuz that's a world where anything could have happened.

Don't you mean Xbox? Microsoft is the reason it is somewhat a shit-show right now. And I hate to hurt people's feelings but Crackdown is not a great series. The first game was fun for what it was when it released in 2007. But unless the game has been changed gameplay wise which from what i saw said it hasn't, I don't see it being this big impact or franchise.

They would be better revitalizing a better received franchise IMHO. But I could be totally wrong.

But from people who have played it, it says I might be right.

Apologies, I find myself using "Microsoft" and "Xbox" interchangeably to refer to that division of the company. I agree about Crackdown for sure, it was definitely a surprisingly good game for something that was originally sold on the back of a Halo beta, but it wasn't a AAA game.

If we're talking games in general, I just wish Microsoft would let a small group of people from each of their big "IP" studios and let them work on anything they want. The end result might not be big AAA games, but it'd add value to the platform and show that they're interested in other titles.

I'm actually serious when I ask this - is there nothing I can buy for this console this year other than Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale?

If you're looking for exclusives, those titles plus Halo Wars 2, Forza 7, and Tacoma are the only console "exclusives" I know of for this year. Definitely a weak lineup if you wouldn't play any kind of third party game on Xbox as well. I'm honestly not sure I'd say that Crackdown 3 would have made that lineup dramatically better.

borges

Banned
MS delays a game:
LMAO | what a clusterfuck | nicolascage.gif

<INSERT OTHER COMPANY NAME> delays a game:
Great, release it when its ready | Works for me | Good, took the time you need to do it great

Try not to be that obvious at least ;)

Vinc

MS delays a game:

Great, release it when its ready | Works for me | Good, took the time you need to do it great

Context matters.

SpotAnime

But it also wouldn't hurt to show humility like Sony did when they got hacked, or when Nintendo straight up admitted they had failed on the Wii U.

Humility goes a long way in helping your image as a division/company and helps bring to light errors in the way you have approached things and helps you come back with a better understanding and broader view on your work going forward.

The problem is, he does this to a fault. Every chance he gets, he states how sorry he is for the state of things, how sympathetic he is to the Xbox consumers, how Xbox needs to do a better job. Yada yada yada.

At some point people tune him out. It's all talk, no action. It's like what your mom used to tell you as a kid, you're just saying sorry but if you meant it you wouldn't keep getting yourself in trouble.

And let me state there are times with the Xbox division - Phil, Major, Greenberg, the whole lot of them - humility is replaced very easily with hubris. Like this past E3, how they trumpeted from the hills they have the most powerful console. Now there's barely anything to play on it, and they have egg on their face.

Xbox now wasted a head start by waiting a year before releasing any software for it. By that time Sony would have bore the brunt of the X launch and will probably have their next hardware revision well underway.

21x2

I would bet sports fans would buy an EA console to play their favorite sports games. Think of it like Disney taking all their stuff off of Netflix to put it on their own service.

Do you think FIFA and Madden and NHL would renew their licenses to EA if the games would only release on one (unproven) platform? Whatever deal EA could offer, Activision or Ubisoft would be able to offer as well, but with guaranteed higher sales, meaning higher profits for the licensor.

Not to mention EA simply doesn't deal in and have finances of the sheer magnitude that the hardware business would mean, and doesn't have the manufacturing experience and pipelines.

borges

Banned
Context matters.

Yeah, no. I have seen many delays news and the pattern is clear.
Just go to other delay threads here and you will clearly see what Im saying. BTW, many non xbox users super angry for a delay on a game that is not being released on its platform of choice. Suspicious, dont you think ;) ?

Vinc

Just go to other delay threads here and you will clearly see what Im saying. BTW, many non xbox users super angry for a delay on a game that is not being released on its platform of choice. Suspicious, dont you think ;) ?

...No? Like I said, context matters.

ch4fx_

MS is going to play the power angle HARD this holiday season.

"Best on Xbox(x)"

Apologies if this has been answered, but does MS have any deals for the multiplat games coming out this year?

They're not super angry, it just gives them free reign to post as many snide digs as they can. They're loving it, lol.

Whatever makes them happy and all that.....

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Afraid not, from now until January the 1st those are the only two games available to buy for the Xbox One X.

No idea what MS are thinking.

Likely exactly what they've been touting. This box will be the best console to play MS 1st party and 3rd party games. They never touted that it would have much in the way of exclusives. That's just people reading into things.
My personal take on things is that MS will have additional 1st party focus, maybe for the next box, or later towards the end of this gen. If I were them, I'd finish out the gen with 3rd party with some annual titles we're used to and start the next box with a strong 1st party set of games and 1st party on as powerful a box as I could put together for a price the market will bare.

MS is going to play the power angle HARD this holiday season.

"Best on Xbox(x)"

Apologies if this has been answered, but does MS have any deals for the multiplat games coming out this year?

Shadow of War, Assassin's Creed Origins, and I believe Madden as well. Sony has marketing rights for Star Wars, but Xbox will have it playable first via EA Access. Not sure how/if they can market that one though.

Anthem, Battlefront, COD...

Anthem is next year, and is also the only game out of those three that MS is confirmed to have a marketing deal for. CoD will likely stick with Playstation, and Battlefront is locked in for PS as well.

I would bet sports fans would buy an EA console to play their favorite sports games. Think of it like Disney taking all their stuff off of Netflix to put it on their own service.

That's one god awful comparison. Streaming is nothing to Disney, whereas multiplatform sales are everything to EA. A better comparison (though still flawed) would be Disney abandoning theaters, TV, DVD/BD, iTunes and so on and putting everything they create exclusively on that new streaming service. It wouldn't kill Disney like going exclusive would kill EA but it'd hurt them enormously.

MS delays a game:

It must be pretty brutal carrying that persecution complex around with you.

Seriously though, do the people who keeping saying this ever even read those threads? Or do you just have shit memories? Cause the only time those threads are anything close to positive is when everyone was already expecting a delay, like RDR2. Otherwise, they're all super negative. Where do you think "Soony" came from? Why do you think Sony stopped announcing early release dates and even release windows?

That's one god awful comparison. Streaming is nothing to Disney, whereas multiplatform sales are everything to EA. A better comparison (though still flawed) would be Disney abandoning theaters, TV, DVD/BD, iTunes and so on and putting everything they create exclusively on that new streaming service. It wouldn't kill Disney like going exclusive would kill EA but it'd hurt them enormously.

It must be pretty brutal carrying that persecution complex around with you.

Seriously though, do the people who keeping saying this ever even read those threads? Or do you just have shit memories? Cause the only time those threads are anything close to positive is when everyone was already expecting a delay, like RDR2. Otherwise, they're all super negative. Where do you think "Soony" came from? Why do you think Sony stopped announcing early release dates and even release windows?

It's like 'Soony' and 'Delaystation' never happened.

Orca

Shadow of War, Assassin's Creed Origins, and I believe Madden as well. Sony has marketing rights for Star Wars, but Xbox will have it playable first via EA Access. Not sure how/if they can market that one though.

Anthem is next year, and is also the only game out of those three that MS is confirmed to have a marketing deal for. CoD will likely stick with Playstation, and Battlefront is locked in for PS as well.

Has a marketing deal with =/= can't buy in on the system.

Sony will be marketing Battlefront and CoD. They'll play/look better on Xbox One X. I would probably buy based on that, not the cool ad.

Thorrgal

Guys, always remember

IfqkgDq.png

Also remember

"If there's something worse than a shitty rushed game it's a shitty delayed game"

Jk :p

Sony will be marketing Battlefront and CoD. They'll play/look better on Xbox One X. I would probably buy based on that, not the cool ad.

I gotya now. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that those games couldn't be bought on Xbox. The post you replied to was about "exclusives" so I thought you were talking about marketing rights.

You aren't the average buyer though. There are people who legit think games are exclusive to a platform because of an ad.

cakely

It's almost as if one is a game that is made by a highly ambitious developer that is known for delaying their games and the other is a game that was announced in 2014 and promised to release for two years in a row and has now been delayed once again.

I mean, I can't think of any possible reason why a thread about Crackdown 3 being delayed would have more comments other than it having a much wider range of topics being discussed such as Microsoft's first-party lineup, the state of the Xbox brand or the Xbox One X. It's almost as if every thread about a game being delayed is not exactly the same and there's context to these things!

Can we please stop with the "SonyGAF" comments? It's beyond old at this point. Microsoft is not persecuted on GAF. Full stop.

Outrun

Wow, this post.

You need to seriously listen to some podcasts with Seanus Blackley, J allard, those guys talk about how xbox could have been something special and could have been something that would be leading Microsoft as a company.

The original Xbox had a lot of great things, lack of games, creativity from developers was not a problem they faced at the beginning.

Without xbox Sony would have never stepped up their game as much as they did during PS3 and PS2 era.

When xbox hit, PS2 was still coasting on sequels, Final fantasy. Once halo was taking off, the started promoting more for games like timesplitters, they tried with killzone.

They started implementing online in PS2 outside of Japan. They worked on their online to get it up to a respectful quality to try and match xbox live. Nintendo isn't interested in the high end powered console market anymore, so that leaves Playstation and Xbox.

So they have to do better and to do so, their whole division needs to work without MS intervention or having agenda's.

So no, your remark does nothing but say " hey we had a good fight, but at least are other business is better than ever right?".

Fuck that.

I love Seanus Blackley, and J Allard. However, they are not CEOs. MS's size ensures that Xbox was never going to lead them.

That said, MS needs to fucking sort out their 1st party offerings. FM6 is the only reason why I still plan on getting the XOX day one.

MS delays a game:

Surely you can see the difference between this delay and something like Horizon, no?

Vinc

I know this SOUNDS hyperbolic, but with everything that's been going on, I really do wonder if they'll still be around in a few years...

I know this SOUNDS hyperbolic, but with everything that's been going on, I really do wonder if they'll still be around in a few years...

I honestly don't see them leaving the console space entirely, but it does make you wonder what their approach will be. Xbox could very well transform from a traditional console to a "living room PC". They could also be holding first party projects for next year and/or Xbox 2. Time will tell, but I really don't think Microsoft would completely leave the gaming arena.

Um. Yeah?

Forza 7, Sonic Mania, CoD, Battlefront, Assassins Creed, Shadow of War, PUBG and all the other multipats?

We all know that everyone who likes video games has a PC for that purpose. Why should I even own an Xbox?
/s

I really dislike how often we make hyperbolic statements on this site.

NahaNago

I don't mind the delay, i just hope that when this game springs back up next year the new trailers or gameplay will get me hyped for it.

Caayn

I wonder how many posters in this thread own a XB1, or even had the intention of buying Crackdown 3 this year.

Well your other post made me laugh.
But, I just got a one S a month ago. got all exclusives and looking forward to Cuphead and Crackdown. No more Crackdown this year really sucks..

But my PS4 backlog is absolutely insane, no exaggeration. So if something does get delayed I couldn't care less. I still have games in the wrapper. And bought games I haven't even touched or finished.

So yea, it's kinda like that.

Vinc

I honestly don't see them leaving the console space entirely, but it does make you wonder what their approach will be. Xbox could very well transform from a traditional console to a "living room PC". They could also be holding first party projects for next year and/or Xbox 2. Time will tell, but I really don't think Microsoft would completely leave the gaming arena.

We all know that everyone who likes video games has a PC for that purpose. Why should I even own an Xbox?
/s

I really dislike how often we make hyperbolic statements on this site.

But consoles ARE living room PCs. I just don't know what would be beneficial to them in this transition. The main thing that gives people pause when this idea is brought up seems to be that "they wouldn't exit the market" because "it seems too crazy". I just don't see a growth path for them, which is ultimately what matters. Things keep contracting on every front, from a consumer perspective. And I also don't see where those first party projects could come from, in a world where it's becoming harder and harder to actually find enough staff to make video games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Pretty sure he was referring to console exclusives...

He probably was, but seriously, Horizon and Zelda are the only 2 new games I've bought this year and I'm still yet to finish either of them.

I was hell bent on day oneing Crackdown but I'm somewhat relieved because I have no idea when I was going to get time to play it with all the other games coming out this year.

I mean, all these people bemoaning this delay and bemoaning everything else Microsoft seems to be doing, where the fuck were you people going to find the time to play all these games you expect Microsoft to pump out? As well as putting time into the multiplats? Let alone if you own multiple consoles and are trying to get through games on your others?

borges

Banned
Well your other post made me laugh.
But, I just got a one S a month ago. got all exclusives and looking forward to Cuphead and Crackdown. No more Crackdown this year really sucks..

But my PS4 backlog is absolutely insane, no exaggeration. So if something does get delayed I couldn't care less. I still have games in the wrapper. And bought games I haven't even touched or finished.

So yea, it's kinda like that.

Absolutely, I think that a delay is always something bad. It represents lying to consumers or best case, poor project management.
Im just calling for consistency on people's opinion, nothing else.

tons of multiplatform games that are going to be available for the system?

If you don't own a PS4 or a PC for gaming you can buy all those games for XB1 (if you're interested in them).

If you only want "exclusive" games (as if those are the only good games a system can get)... well, that's different, I guess.

Top Bottom