• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

"The best place to play multiplatform games on console" can be considered a console exclusive, no? lol

"The best place the play multiplatform games which cannot be named specifically because they all have exclusive marketing agreements with our competitor and in most cases will not have platform-specific optimizations for our product in place on day 1."

I think the market will respond positively.

He probably was, but seriously, Horizon and Zelda are the only 2 new games I've bought this year and I'm still yet to finish either of them.

I was hell bent on day oneing Crackdown but I'm somewhat relieved because I have no idea when I was going to get time to play it with all the other games coming out this year.

I mean, all these people bemoaning this delay and bemoaning everything else Microsoft seems to be doing, where the fuck were you people going to find the time to play all these games you expect Microsoft to pump out? As well as putting time into the multiplats? Let alone if you own multiple consoles and are trying to get through games on your others?

You do realize that there are people who have more time than you to play games, right?

EhoaVash

Well that's lame but okay I guess for Xbox quarterly earnings

Its weird but Microsoft's gaming division makes more money on Xbox live subscription alone (over a billion yearly)!! More than all the games Nintendo Even released for the last 4 years. Exclusives are just a cherry on top in terms of profits made for the Xbox division. Most exclusives for them just lose money. As long as their Live subscription numbers grow they are all good.

A lot of Xbox one software software releases have been failing to meet expectations outside forza and Halo. all of the games released since Xbox one launch has honestly failed to meet expectations/ didn't make money.

They ride high on live subscriptions. They could go years upon years of just releasing a console even without exclusive games if 3rd parties continue to be on board and their loyal Xbox live users continue to migrate with them. Good for them but these delays /cancellation does make the brand look grayish to people.

Dante

Jeez this console has been kind of a disaster coming off the momentum of the 360. Bad PR, lack of exclusives, inferior ports, sluggish ui, weird indie policies, etc

Here's hoping a fresh start with the XboxOneX will get them back in the mix.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Jeez this console has been kind of a disaster coming off the momentum of the 360. Bad PR, lack of exclusives, inferior ports, sluggish ui, weird indie policies, etc

Here's hoping a fresh start with the XboxOneX will get them back in the mix.

Don't see how the One X can be considered a fresh start or how it will improve any of the things you listed aside from maybe the sluggish UI.

bitbydeath

MS delays a game:
LMAO | what a clusterfuck | nicolascage.gif

<INSERT OTHER COMPANY NAME> delays a game:
Great, release it when its ready | Works for me | Good, took the time you need to do it great

Try not to be that obvious at least ;)

Just wait til RARE gets shutdown next year, that thread will be a doozie.

oti

Banned
MS delays a game:
LMAO | what a clusterfuck | nicolascage.gif

<INSERT OTHER COMPANY NAME> delays a game:
Great, release it when its ready | Works for me | Good, took the time you need to do it great

Try not to be that obvious at least ;)

Yes, because OTHER COMPANY NAME also is a platform holder and responsible for an efficient output of exclusive games.

That's totally the same.
Great comparison.

The other two companies that are similar to Microsoft, you know, OTHER COMPANY NAME and OTHER COMPANY NAME actually do release their games more or less on schedule and haven't cancelled like half of their announced games this gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
I love Seanus Blackley, and J Allard. However, they are not CEOs. MS's size ensures that Xbox was never going to lead them.

That said, MS needs to fucking sort out their 1st party offerings. FM6 is the only reason why I still plan on getting the XOX day one.

Then how the fuck did Sony have Playstation basically save their company?

See other post as you obviously didn't read it:

MS can't sort their shit out, XBox needs to be xbox and not be held back by decisions from the rest of the company period.

They need to have the right people behind xbox, I think phil loves games, but I think influence from MS culture has him only looking at their software a certain way. Scalebound may not have been in the best of shape, but it showed potential just needed extra help and more time.
Crackdown may also need more time, but it's a game based off a series that isn't super great. It had one good game and one really bad sequel. ANd if any rumors are possibly true about more of the focus being on multiplayer then that shows how much the software over there almost meets a check list on a sheet instead of just being a game.

Xbox will always have this weird up and down battle with software because the parent company has a hold on what get's green lit, what doesn't and what they are looking for in software like GAAS.
That;s the wrong way to go about it and so far isn;t working, and only erodes at xbox as a brand.
Strong sales in games from Nintendo, Sony show that GAAS isn't the only way forward. It's very profitable when you hit gold, but not every game does that.

And with all the GAAS flops done by other people I would say the data is out there that it really works with a couple of games and mainly only those games.
PUBG is not games as a service it's a 29.99 game based on a mod that is all about gameplay and non of the bullshit, hence why it has 7 million copies. GTA V was about just the open world crazy stuff you could do with friends then became about the bullshit, but people still love it for the base reasons.

Xbox could have a hit like PUBG that they make from internal studios, it's just will they let the game be the game. If it's only a game about one specific mode and online only will they sell it for $29.99? Or force the developers to put a campaign in it to add "value"?
Xbox needs to run and be a game division, one that runs by it's own rules that put creativity, gameplay and entertainment/art first rather than how long they game can run as a service. Like they have been trying to do with almost all of their porperties.

Betty

Banned
How are they expecting to sell the Xbox One X?

Bizarre.

Apparently people think having the absolute best versions of games, allegedly, will sway folk into buying the premium device.

Hell I barely want a PS4 Pro even though I'm told constantly all the games i'm playing are better on it.

Some people even in this thread believe Xbox One X is actually the Xbox 4 and will start releasing next gen games in a couple of years... now that's delusional.

Yes, because OTHER COMPANY NAME also is a platform holder and responsible for an efficient output of exclusive games.

That's totally the same.
Great comparison.

The other two companies that are similar to Microsoft, you know, OTHER COMPANY NAME and OTHER COMPANY NAME actually do release their games more or less on schedule and haven't cancelled like half of their announced games this gen.

Like they did with the WiiU?

Chris1

I mean, all these people bemoaning this delay and bemoaning everything else Microsoft seems to be doing, where the fuck were you people going to find the time to play all these games you expect Microsoft to pump out? As well as putting time into the multiplats? Let alone if you own multiple consoles and are trying to get through games on your others?
It's not just about the time but honestly the game quite clearly had some issues - just read the E3 reveal trailer thread. Delaying it is only a good thing. Do people really want crackdown to be recore v2 and release unfinished or with serious issues?

It's one thing to be mad because the game got delayed and another to be mad because the lineup is pretty bad now and this year hasn't been too great in the first place.

oti

Banned
Apparently people think having the absolute best versions of games, allegedly, will sway folk into buying the premium device.

Hell I barely want a PS4 Pro even though I'm told constantly all the games i'm playing are better on it.

Some people even in this thread believe Xbox One X is actually the Xbox 4 and will start releasing next gen games in a couple of years... now that's delusional.

1 in 5 who buy a PS4 buy a PS4 Pro. 1 in 5. People who believe Xbox X can change anything in this console race or will do huge numbers are delusional. Even Microsoft has said this in their PR kind of way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Know what this thread needs? Some more salty meta-commentary on how we're all too mean on Xbox.

That's right motherfucker. Meta-meta-commentary. Checkmate.

SRTtoZ

I feel like this is less because they are trying to fix the game and more of they don't want it to get slaughtered during the holidays. Good call IMO.

King_Moc

Banned

It won't convince many to buy an Xbox over a PlayStation, as that's not what drives console buyers to pick. A fair number of xb1 owners will upgrade though. It'll be in line with the numbers that bought into the Pro.

I feel like this is less because they are trying to fix the game and more of they don't want it to get slaughtered during the holidays. Good call IMO.

Well, they actually said just that, about the holiday being crowded and they didn't need Crackdown, when they delayed it to 2017, then again to 2018...So you are not necessarily wrong....

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

That's totally the same.
Great comparison.

To be fair, when PS4 launched, #DriveClub was a big launch title that was delayed. I can't remember if any others were, but that was their one racing title and a big one for that reason. It was also supposed to have a PS Plus version which got delayed for even longer than the standard launch version. People weren't happy about it to be sure.

I do feel like MS is getting more flack on this because they just don't have other first party games making up for it.

PS had Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Contrast, Resogun, at launch as 1st party or exclusive launch games. (4 games).

XBOX One had Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, Zoo Tycoon, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 as 1st party or exclusives launch games (5 games).

PS4 Pro had some enhanced games, but the XBOX One X.. I think.... has more by launch?

Also, this is not a true new console gen launch IMO, this is a mid-gen refresh box, MS's second. They just don't have the exclusives coming for them at this point that Sony does, and it hurts more when it gets delayed for that reason. I find it funny though that so many are upset that a game which seemed to be getting slammed in reactions and threads gets delayed and people go bonkers. Sounds like it's for the best.

oti

Banned
Like they did with the WiiU?

What games did Nintendo delay? Zelda and Star Fox? Two out of multiple times more the exclusives MS has released on Xbox One? What's your point? I also can't remember Wii U games that Nintendo cancelled after announcing them.

To be fair, when PS4 launched, #DriveClub was a big launch title that was delayed. I can't remember if any others were, but that was their one racing title and a big one for that reason. It was also supposed to have a PS Plus version which got delayed for even longer than the standard launch version. People weren't happy about it to be sure.

Driveclub was a huge clusterfuck and was treated as such here on GAF.

lionpants

I see that. That's one of the reasons I picked up a PS4 Pro to maybe sometimes use my 4k TV.

But Microsoft games usually come out for Windows anyway. Those are the best versions (eventually in the case of FH3).

Floody

Definitely think it would have played a part, MS must know more than anyone at this point that competing with all the mega blockbusters isn't worth it anymore. But it looked rough at E3, so probably needs a lot more polish too.

oti

Banned
Definitely think it would have played a part, MS must know more than anyone at this point that competing with all the mega blockbusters isn't worth it anymore. But it looked rough at E3, so probably needs a lot more polish too.

Could well be that the pre-order numbers are terrible. I never expected this game to do gangbusters to begin with though. It's Crackdown.

What games did Nintendo delay? Zelda and Star Fox? Two out of multiple times more the exclusives MS has released on Xbox One? What's your point? I also can't remember Wii U games that Nintendo cancelled after announcing them.

My point is the XB can survive fine without Crackdown 3 for a while because it has third party support. Something the WiiU didn't have. In fact, despite Nintendo's first party support (which wasn't even as continuous as some claim it was), the WiiU never took off.

MS' first party output is certainly disappointing but the XB1 is not the disaster some people are describing in here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Could well be that the pre-order numbers are terrible. I never expected this game to do gangbusters though to begin with. It's Crackdown.

I mean, they could have made it a AAA blockbuster with all the graphical bells and whistles. They could have treated it like a complete reboot, putting the XB1X on the map.
But then they showed up with this wet fart of a saints row knockoff that looks clunky as hell, doesn't show any of the promised destruction and is using a hideous art style.

It's not just the name or franchise that matters here. They are just seemingly not putting any real muscle behind it.

oti

Banned
My point is the XB can survive fine without Crackdown 3 for a while because it has third party support. Something the WiiU didn't have. In fact, despite Nintendo's first party support (which wasn't even as continuous as some claim it was), the WiiU never took off.

MS' first party output is certainly disappointing but the XB1 is not the disaster some people are describing in here.

OK? That sure has absolutely nothing to do with my post you responded to.

I mean, they could have made it a AAA blockbuster with all the graphical bells and whistles. They could have treated it like a complete reboot, putting the XB1X on the map.
But then they showed up with this wet fart of a saints row knockoff that looks clunky as hell, doesn't show any of the promised destruction and is using a hideous art style.

It's not just the name or franchise that matters here. They are just seemingly not putting any real muscle behind it.

I don't know, that sounds pretty unfair. Graphics look good enough, it's an open world super hero action game after all. People who've played it say it controls fine. The multiplayer cloud aspect is legit interesting and new, but surely super difficult to actually make it work. And asking for super graphics for a game with this scope is asking for the costs to triple. Which, why? It's still Crackdown. A franchise that only became a thing because it sold the Halo Beta back in the day and a franchise that should've ended after the bad sequel.

cakely

Know what this thread needs? Some more salty meta-commentary on how we're all too mean on Xbox.

That's right motherfucker. Meta-meta-commentary. Checkmate.

There is far too much discussion about people discussing about how much bias there is against Microsoft in this thread, and it clearly has a pro too-little discussion about bias slant.

*Head explodes*

OK? That sure has absolutely nothing to do with my post you responded to.

I certainly don't remember that first party output released on schedule you were talking about.

The beginnings and the last days of the WiiU were really bad, and that includes the delay of Breath of the Wild.

I guess I'll just have to play Assassins Creed, Destiny 2, Madden 18, Gears 4, Recore DE, Forza 7, Battlefront 2, and COD WaW this holiday. God damn, what will I do without Crackdown?

If I get bored i'll just play PUBG, We Happy Few, Cuphead, Ashen, and my free GwG games.

Papacheeks

Banned
I guess I'll just have to play Assassins Creed, Destiny 2, Madden 18, Gears 4, Recore DE, Forza 7, Battlefront 2, and COD WaW. God damn, what will I do without Crackdown?

Your right so many third party games to choose from.

With Recore being a re-release of a game that came out last year and was whatever, same with gears 4, and oh yes yet another forza.

So much "new fresh games to play".

With Recore being a re-release of a game that came out last year and was whatever, same with gears 4, and oh yes yet another forza.

I haven't played them yet so they're fresh to me. Have you played them?

I skipped Forza 6 so ready to jump in with 7 again.

sam12

Why don't they just start fresh with Xbox x. Skip the name, delay it to 2018 and launch in spring as a new system. I don't get it, it would be 5 years since they released one and enough time for a new Xbox generation. Nintendo has done it

oti

Banned
I certainly don't remember that first party output released on schedule you were talking about.

The beginnings and the last days of the WiiU were really bad, and that includes the delay of Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo was notorious for having difficulties with HD development. Which was hilarious. But as far as I remember most of the games they announced weren't delayed. And Nintendo released many games on Wii U, despite it being a failure.

In any case. I responded to someone who alluded to the fact that people only are critical when MS delays a game. Which isn't true. It's disingenuous to allude to some non-existent GAF bias against MS. No other platform holder has such an abysmal track record when it comes to exclusives games this gen. At some point consumers get wary of a company. That's normal behaviour. I don't even understand how some people here can get upset over that.

I haven't been on my xbox one in a while due to replaying some Super Metroid and Link to the past so I was surprised when I looked at the store and there really was a ton a stuff to check out. Everyone wants to point to the big name games but the store is pretty packed with plenty of games with what I think is a wide variety.

Papacheeks

Banned
I haven't been on my xbox one in a while due to replaying some Super Metroid and Link to the past so I was surprised when I looked at the store and there really was a ton a stuff to check out. Everyone wants to point to the big name games but the store is pretty packed with plenty of games with what I think is a wide variety.

Any new First party games? Any new smaller games similar to Horsmarque's Nex Machina?

I go to that shitty store on my PC once in a blue moon after maybe trying to reinstall gears 4 which is 126 or so GB's and then close it.

Xbox's output, and choices for software has basically put me off. And that sucks because I love my 360, and my Growing OG XBOX collection.(been re-buying a lot for some reason probably was the E3 announcement that did it for me)

I'm sick of gears, sick of seeing halo and sick of hearing about a forza game every year from them. Until they start some exciting things I'm pretty much done with them. Nintendo and Sony have me for this year and most of next along with the 100's of hours I put into PUBG.

see5harp

I don't know why we bringing up Nintendo. Most of their launch window software was only possible because of the failure called Wii U. There is plenty of third party and indie support on xbox one and it's been that way for a long while.

Darklor01

Driveclub was a huge clusterfuck and was treated as such here on GAF.

That's my point entirely there. Sony weren't cut slack on that one during OG PS4 launch, and that one wasn't even first party. There are titles which are cut slack like Gran Turismo for no reason whatsoever and that one is first party. Sure, some complain, some say Kaz must go, but other than that, it's sliding releases are given near infinite slack.

wolgoen

The game looks pretty bad in its current form, hardly a step forward from the last game. Maybe this delay will give them a chance to improve things. If I'm brutally honest I don't think it will improve the game enough from what it is now, the weak foundations have already been laid. This delay will just polish the mediocrity.

oti

Banned
That's my point entirely there. Sony weren't cut slack on that one during OG PS4 launch, and that one wasn't even first party. There are titles which are cut slack like Gran Turismo for no reason whatsoever and that one is first party. Sure, some complain, some say Kaz must go, but other than that, it's sliding releases are given near infinite slack.

At that point you're talking select franchises though. People are just used to Zelda and GT getting delayed. But trust me, if GT is not as good or way better than Forza? GAF will be on fire.

Darklor01

At that point you're talking select franchises though. People are just used to Zelda and GT getting delayed. But trust me, if GT is not as good or way better than Forza? GAF will be on fire.

Probably. I've seen GT be so divisive anyway that it's crazy and GT Sport is going to be more divisive than ever IMO.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't know why we bringing up Nintendo. Most of their launch window software was only possible because of the failure called Wii U. There is plenty of third party and indie support on xbox one and it's been that way for a long while.

Ok and your point? XBox has been failing on the software side pretty much the majority of this gen, with a couple of gems like Ori, and Sunset.(Sunset should become the new Crackdown IMHO)

Nintendo has made new IP's that are not from Wii u era, arms was made for Switch, teh third party exclusive Mario Rabbids Kingdom is a new game, so is Xenoblade 2, So it metroid Prime 4, among others that have yet to be talked about.

You can say what you want but Nintendo owned up to their mistakes with the Wii U by not making those mistakes with First party software drought.

The same is for Sony, Xbox has a much larger parent company with a lot of resources and has done all but dick to change the software issues xbox has.

mnannola

The game looks pretty bad in its current form, hardly a step forward from the last game. Maybe this delay will give them a chance to improve things. If I'm brutally honest I don't think it will improve the game enough from what it is now, the weak foundations have already been laid. This delay will just polish the mediocrity.

Agreed. Probably more of a polishing phase than a "redo massive chunks of the game" phase.

This 100%!

Sadly the first one didn't do well at all. I'll never understand that. Sure it wasn't for everyone with its humor and characters but man, I had tons of fun and there was a lot of great things in that game.

Sometimes I just don't understand it. Does the majority of Xbox players only buy Halo 5 and FPS games then?

I honestly wish it was multiplat so it would theoretically sell double what it did on Xbox. We won't ever get a sequel but damn was it a gem.

element

Scalebound may not have been in the best of shape, but it showed potential just needed extra help and more time.
Scalebound was a trainwreck. No extra time could have saved it. Additionally, the relationship between MS and Platinum was 'tense' to say the least.

Xbox will always have this weird up and down battle with software because the parent company has a hold on what get's green lit, what doesn't and what they are looking for in software like GAAS.
That isn't true. Satya isn't greenlighting projects and really Terry Myerson (Phil's boss) is probably looped in for larger business deals such as a new Halo. If Phil wanted to make a new Battletoads game, he could make it happen with little influence from upper management.
Most of the GaaS titles were spearheaded by Kudo who was in charge of studios. After Kudo left to go work exclusively in Windows Apps Studio (aka Hololens) that left Phil in total control of hardware and software of Xbox.

The issue with Microsoft is they aren't structured to build new games. The hierarchy internally is very individual task specific, not team based. At other companies, you have opportunities after a game is complete to explore new possibilities and maybe even build a prototype. At MS you go straight onto another team or a sequel. It isn't structured for someone to come up with an idea for a game and ask for resources to prototype it.
Because they aren't structured to build games internally, they either solicit proposals based on an IP they own from independent studios or have independent studios pitch them new IPs, and then sign a publishing deal, example being Killer Instinct or ReCore. Internal staff then just manages the development and provides additional resources if needed.

The other issue is when MS buys an external studio, they all instantly become MS employees and are moved to the Microsoft Level System, which is a flat number which reflects your role and salary range across the entire company. Hypothetical example, a level 60 artist on Word makes a similar amount as a level 60 artist on Halo. Why this becomes an issue when MS buys external studios is their burn rate explodes, thus creating an environment where you need to sell more because you cost more. Compare this to Sony or Nintendo, where most studios are setup as a subsidiary. Your pay check still says Sony, but each studio can set their own salaries and even benefits (to some degree). At MS, you work for MS. Not for 343i or The Coalition or Turn 10 or Minecraft.

Another issue with MS and actually many larger publisher is they are SO large that small hits aren't big enough. These are multi-billion dollar companies with shareholders. As silly as it sounds, it is 'easier' to spend $100m on a game and market the shit out of it to make $1b than spending $20m to make $100m. That $100m won't make an impact in the books. You see this with Activision, Ubisoft and EA, leaving a huge void in 'filler' games and new IPs.

Top Bottom