• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

Honestly, that did seem more negative than the standard but then again I don't watch the game honest trailers too often.
At the same time, a lot of the points about its corridor level design and lack of ambition in its 3D is exactly why I've never found the games being beyond simply "okay".

But hey my trilogy copy was just shipped so we'll see how I find it this time around.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
All I can say is how I felt playing the games for the first time 10+ years after they came out, and other than the masterpiece that is CTR, none of them really grabbed me.
I feel like my attachment to Crash is entirely rooted to playing it as a child. When I've returned to them as an adult, most of the enjoyment is just revisiting the nostalgia. Objectively, I don't think I'd enjoy them so much if I played them for the first time today, which is why I can't hold it against anyone that finds them to be not exactly stellar.

SgtCobra

Mario did so many revolutionary things at the time it's hard not to compare the games. I don't think anyone is saying crash was bad at the time but that design doesn't really hold up today.
Not comparing a linear platformer with an open world one was always easy for me as they both bring different kinds of things to the table.
Enough people, and even itt think the Crash games were/are bad :p but that's their opinion which is fine.
And yes it does hold up, for what it's supposed to be it definitely does, the Crash games are simple straightforward and linear platformers and those can definitely exist today, not everything needs to be open world with sidequests and an engaging story.
It saddens me that there is now a certain kind of standard for these games if you want them to be considered at least "decent".

But I can understand that you may think different than me, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, no negative feelings.

Was it a joke? hmm maybe I have been bamboozled...

when knack launched it debuted one place higher than SM3D in the UK. this is where the meme started but in the end Mario sold like 3.5x more and pretty much all at full price while Knack was in the bargain bin after three weeks.

Crash is more popular than people give it credit for. Especially over here in the UK.

I don't understand how anyone can say it plays bad. Crash 1 was overly simple, sure but 2 and 3 had really tight controls.

It also had a really unique style to it that drew a lot of people in.

Also, the levels where you were running towards the camera were not bad. You had plenty of time to see what was coming up.

Atomski

when knack launched it debuted one place higher than SM3D in the UK. this is where the meme started but in the end Mario sold like 3.5x more and pretty much all at full price while Knack was in the bargain bin after three weeks.

K... well some of my faith in humanity has been restored.

Was it a joke? hmm maybe I have been bamboozled...

I think it came from a combination of Knack being above 3D World sometimes in the UK, as well as its Japanese performance, but in that case every PS4 early on was bundled with it. Early last year Famitsu posted the best selling PS4 games up to that point, and they had Knack down at 400k. 3D World was already at 410k by the end of 2013.

Crash Bandicoot exists as a game in Uncharted.
Crash Bandicoot exists as a character in Skylanders games.
That doesn't mean Skylanders characters are real actual beings in Uncharted. There are non-sequitors and then there's just nonsense.

Crash Bandicoot exists as a game in Uncharted.
Crash Bandicoot exists as a character in Skylanders games.
That doesn't mean Skylanders characters are real actual beings in Uncharted. There are non-sequitors and then there's just nonsense.
What about that Nathan Drake photo Crash has in the new trilogy doe?

lol funny stuff from the Honest guys, always good for a laugh.

Looking forward to Crash arriving any day now, I'm ready for some old school platforming.

True Fire

Crash was one of those games your PSX only friend would gush over like it was the 2nd coming of 3d platforming Jesus and potential Mario killer, but if you also played SM64 you'd probably feel sorry for him.

Do you even like video games, as a medium?

"2nd coming of 3D platforming Jesus and Mario killer" ... come on. Video games are meant to be enjoyed, and that's all there is to it.

How the hell can you feel sorry for someone who enjoys something?

LUXURY

All these videos are trash. I hate how YouTube has given everyone under the sun a place where they can spew idiotic things on video. I don't find any of these Honest Trailers funny.

Joey Ravn

Banned
All these videos are trash. I hate how YouTube has given everyone under the sun a place where they can spew idiotic things on video. I don't find any of these Honest Trailers funny.

If only we weren't forced by law to watch every single thing posted on YouTube.

What a wonderful world would that one be.

silva1991

"2nd coming of 3D platforming Jesus and Mario killer" ... come on. Video games are meant to be enjoyed, and that's all there is to it.

My mind was really blown reading that comment. Some people have strange thinking processes.

My mind was really blown reading that comment. Some people have strange thinking processes.

I always assume I'm missing the joke when reading those kinds of comments. Or basically 90% of what I read on neogaf really.

I mean, posting on this forum for the past couple of years has thought me stuff dosn't always come across as intended in text form, while also dealing with a language barrier.

Wow, this was literally just trash talking it, rather than pointing out flaws and being amusing like they usually are.

:|

I don't see how this video was different from their usual stuff.

mochicat~

Wow, this was literally just trash talking it, rather than pointing out flaws and being amusing like they usually are.

member.php

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Based on what? We don't have any updated sales data for Crash, a trilogy that never left the top 5 on the PS3 classics chart for like 5 years?

This kind of claim usually is limited to the original release and classic rereleases, not virtual console style rereleases. Also he just wouldn't know the PSN sales.

Dehnus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhfG9DykLRg

I can't really agree with the points made, but its hard to argue Mario 64's scale being on a completely different level.

LOL! So many angry fanboys in that thread. But yeah like I said earlier, much to the chagrin of some, Crash is highly overrated and seen through nostalgia goggles. The gameplay is linear often 2D (like Bug on the SEGA Saturn), and the fun poking at Mario was just stupid. Super Mario 64 is a superior title in every aspect. It's gameplay might be rough, but still holds up decent to this day. Were as Crash really shows how dated it is even in the remaster.

Not saying it is a bad game, far from it, but it simply is not at Mario 64's level. The amount of exploration and secrets alone puts Crash in it's place.

Dehnus

If this had been :"Halo 5" you'd be all over it and praising it :p.

If this had been "Star Fox Zero" you'd be all over it.

Just take the joke and move on, don't go full warrior.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Crash is more popular than people give it credit for. Especially over here in the UK.

I don't understand how anyone can say it plays bad. Crash 1 was overly simple, sure but 2 and 3 had really tight controls.

It also had a really unique style to it that drew a lot of people in.

Also, the levels where you were running towards the camera were not bad. You had plenty of time to see what was coming up.

Yeah, everyone around my age, myself included, grew up on crash and playstations, whereas mario is basically non existent .

Never understood the whole Mario Vs Sonic Vs Crash debates, they are literally just peoples nostalgia and childhood basically clashing against one another for no reason. All the games hold up and are good, but fall into the 'they arnt as good as you remember them'.

I grew up on crash and they are all super solid games, but odd to say that they werent popular. Sold literally millions and have been the games fans are desperate for remasters for years now.

D.Lo

Based on what? We don't have any updated sales data for Crash, a trilogy that never left the top 5 on the PS3 classics chart for like 5 years?
Crash Bandicoot sold 6.82 million on PS1.

Trying to add in PS3 classics sales is also utterly ridiculous. If that were the case Super Mario Bros has probably sold 100 million over NES, GBA, Virtual Console, NES mini etc - since they all use the original ROM.

Alo0oy

Banned
Crash Bandicoot sold 6.82 million on PS1.

Trying to add in PS3 classics sales is also utterly ridiculous. If that were the case Super Mario Bros has probably sold 100 million over NES, GBA, Virtual Console, NES mini etc - since they all use the original ROM.

Just trying to give context. You have no actual sourced sales data. I don't have sourced sales data. So I'll believe what JR is saying instead of making up my own reality.

There are good games
There are mediocre games
And then there's Crash.

I mean, wow.

I hope you guys who like them have a good time with the remaster, though :)

Crash is better than Mario.
You get used to it.

Some of these people honestly can't even imagine that others might have different tastes and preferences. So when someone doesn't care much about the ps4, gods official gift to gamers, along with games like COD, GTA, Red Dead, The Last of Us and Infamous that must mean they're "not really a gamer" or "Not hardcore like me!" or some other similair bullshitery.

Lol. I am shocked, SHOCKED.

Ivan 3414

LOL! So many angry fanboys in that thread. But yeah like I said earlier, much to the chagrin of some, Crash is highly overrated and seen through nostalgia goggles. The gameplay is linear often 2D (like Bug on the SEGA Saturn), and the fun poking at Mario was just stupid. Super Mario 64 is a superior title in every aspect. It's gameplay might be rough, but still holds up decent to this day. Were as Crash really shows how dated it is even in the remaster.

Not saying it is a bad game, far from it, but it simply is not at Mario 64's level. The amount of exploration and secrets alone puts Crash in it's place.

It's cool if you prefer open world games to linear ones. But nothing about your post supports your point that Crash is dated. "Linearity" and "2D" are not dated gameplay concepts; it's bizarre that that mindset still exists in this current gaming climate when so many great games have embraced those concepts.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
hmmm im not an avid watcher of HT, but the few ive seen i've thought we're pretty good. this one feels really off from the standard. poor writing. forced. i wonder if they rushed this one out.

Some strange questions.
Crash was hyped as the next big thing in the 3D platforming space by magazines, PSX owners and Sony (throwing jabs at Nintendo), yet it didn't hold a candle to SM64. That's all.

Crash is obviously not better than Mario but here is not a Crash problem, is a video game industry problem, it seems like nothing is better than Mario regardless the genre.

Wamb0wneD

That wasn't directed at you, it's just a sentiment you can see in Crash threads lately.

I've been in every Crash thread and nobody called any Crash game a "piece of shit". Stop overreacting.

In the past even on here, we've had to have arguments pages long with people who would try and claim that Genesis wasn't competition to SNES anywhere., Sonic was never good ect.

And now we have an 'honest trailer' that implies Crash was never good and apparently only nostalgia fuels any sort of sentiment towards it.

Just annoying

Yeah I'm sure whoever writes the Honest Trailer stuff is a closet Nintendo console warrior.

Some strange questions.
Crash was hyped as the next big thing in the 3D platforming space by magazines, PSX owners and Sony (taking jabs at Nintendo), yet it didn't hold a candle to SM64. That's all.

To be fair, Crash was the biggest new platformer IP to come out of that generation. So, they were correct to say he was the next big thing in the 3D platformer space when you think of it like that.

Top Bottom