• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

I'm not exactly sure what point you have to make.

I stated my displeasure with the trailer. I agreed with certain parts, like Mario 64 being much more ambitious as a game, and i disagreed with certain parts, then saying crash was a bad game.

I reserve the right to complain about it and think they were being disingenuous on this one
really, people acting like if you don't like you "don't get it" or something. It was corny and not funny to some of us. I'm no big Crash fan either, only played like the first one. Content just wasn't good IMO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And we reserve the right to call you out for being frankly ridiculous.

I am only continuing to respond because some folks responded back about one of my posts, if you don't want to hear my thoughts on it, you know what to do

Nev

Banned
Even forgetting 64 vs Ps1 I find it funny that within a playstation only bubble Crash is more beloved than all the other more open platformers that emulated M64 rather than Crash (Spyro, Jak, Ape Escape).

Some people prefer tight linear level design instead of running around empty spaces from one place to another doing shitty sub-quests.

Yea it's so funny haha how dare these people want classic 2D Mario level select obstacle course gameplay hahaha poor souls, I pity them for preferring to the point, tightly designed levels instead of wasting time in some shitty open world. They've yet to see the light.

FinalAres

Back when it came out, lots of people looked down on Crash for being linear rather than more open like Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64.

I feel like these days people realise there's a place for both (especially as Mario went back to linear levels) so I'd assume Crash Bandicoot can go back to being loved as one of the best platformers ever. I mean not every game can be Mario 64. Most Mario games aren't.

Basically

Mario 64/Galaxy > Most Mario games > Crash Bandicoot > Super Mario 3D World

D.Lo

The install base of the playstation was nearly thrice as high as the one of the n64, so it's really not that unbelievable, which is probably what rustled some NintendoGAFs Jimmie so hard that they are still mad about it 20 years later

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20110722094946/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html
I looked up the actual sales

Mario 64 sold 11.89 million.
Crash Bandicoot sold 6.82 million.

I found the claim, it seems Rubin is dumb.

"But we ended up selling more than Mario, partly because the PlayStation had more users, but also because it was a very good game. And we continued to outsell Mario through Crash 2 and Crash 3. CTR (Crash Team Racing) did extremely well. I think it outdid Mario Kart in terms of sales." [Editor's Note: Mario Kart 64 outsold CTR.]"

He's using combined sales/momentum of all 3 games, possibly even including their Kart spinoff! I guess we can add any games with Mario in the title together as well since they all beat Crash combined.

Balb

Some people prefer tight linear level design instead of running around empty spaces from one place to another doing shitty sub-quests.

Yea it's so funny haha how dare these people want classic 2D Mario level select obstacle course gameplay hahaha poor souls, I pity them for preferring to the point, tightly designed levels instead of wasting time in some shitty open world "platformer". They've yet to see the light.

Mario 64 is a shitty open world platformer huh? Lot of hot takes in this thread.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh, you have a very common opinion honestly. And while they aren't 'ground breaking' like Mario 64 or the Banjo games, they are damn solid platformers.

It's like the evolution of the 2D platformer; taking the side-scroller and making it a forward-scroller...if that makes any sense :l.

Crash 2 is the strongest game in the trilogy while Crash 3 has a soft spot (the music and the platforming stages are really dang solid). Crash 1 aged the worst but thanks to the N. Sane Trilogy, it should be a much smoother experience gameplay/control wise.

Just glad Gaf doesn't hate the Bandicoot nearly as much compared to last year....got so bad, I pushed my remaining retrospectives on the series to other places...

Do you mind bringing them here as well? I loved your Sonic restrospectives, and Sonic is consistently hated on more here than Bandicoot.

I have a different assessment of Crash 1-3 though, with Crash 2 being the obviously best game, but Crash 1 being kilometers (miles for people allergic to SI units) ahead of Crash 3. Crash 1 has really nice level design in many places, though some stinkers like those bridge levels. Crash 3 on the other hand is definitely smooter than 1, but its level design is way to simple and tame and everything that's not a platforming level (so 40% of the game) is just an abomination. Especially damn Coco.

The Honest Trailer is not better or worse than the others, it is some negative clichés, some true things and completely unfunny.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Er just for clarification, a few pages back i said something to the effect of

We're on a hardcore video game forum, i dont think growing up is apart of the discussion.

I didn't meant to imply that people who enjoyed games or went on forums were children, i was saying that since we're on a core gaming forum, being invested about gaming topics is par the course

Nev

Banned
Mario 64 is a shitty open world platformer huh? Lot of hot takes in this thread.

Nah the original message said "shitty open world", but I added platformer and it changed the meaning unintentionally.

It's the old "Oh, you think the thing I like is bad? Well,I think the thing you like is BAD!" game.
It's the internet.

No but nice try. It's not a bad game but certainly a step back from 2D Mario. I couldn't care less about any kind of "open" garbage so I'd rather replay the 2D Mario games and 3D Land/World forever than any of the others, including 64.

I might just be getting old but i was so sure that the weird Honeycombs mascot from the 90's would've been mockingly showcased as the remakes new character model, but no mention of it in this video.

Honestly, they blew it.

569876_original.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If I remember correctly, they actually like The Last of Us.

The Crash one is not supremely negative either, pointing out that Crahs Bandicoot was less ambitious than Super Mario 64 is not exactly strange.

SgtCobra

The Crash one is not supremely negative either, pointing out that Crahs Bandicoot was less ambitious than Super Mario 64 is not exactly strange.
To be fair, presentation and graphics wise it was miles ahead of SM64, but gameplaywise... yeah open world vs linear, the difference was and still is palpable.

I haven't seen the video yet. And if that's the crux of their argument then I don't understand what all the fuss is about in this thread.

SeanR1221

I do wonder how old some of the Crash fans are. Maybe it's a rose colored glasses thing?

I was 10 when I got a PSX. I don't think I even remember anyone in my school saying crash was better than Mario 64. Mario 64 was a huge wow moment in gaming.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see we have some historical rewriting here. There's a reason the Crash series is the highest selling PS1 classics and sold some of the most of any game on the PS1 at the time. And it's not because they were "ok".

I always attributed the Crash classic sales a little more to the fact that it has such name recognition due to the marketing and mascot-driven craze back then, nostalgia for that era, and cheap cost combined—on top of the fact they stopped making real Crash games back then, so you can't exactly scratch that itch with recent sequels (like you could with Gran Turismo). People have nostalgia for specifically that era whether or not they are really all-time classics that withstood the test of time.

Personally, I like them and will play through all three of the remakemasters, but I don't have anything against those that don't and won't.

SgtCobra

I do wonder how old some of the Crash fans are. Maybe it's a rose colored glasses thing?
Or maybe people acyually enjoyed those games without resorting to fanboy nonsense comparing them with SM64?
Do some really think these games are so bad that the only way people can think fondly of them is because nostalgia?
Edit: this is not per se directed at you, but it's something I've seen quite a few times.

That's just Honest Trailers thing. They would easily do one that's Nintendo related if heavily requested. Hell, even I can do one regarding some of my favorite games ever, Bloodborne included.

Best wishes.

I haven't seen the video yet. And if that's the crux of their argument then I don't understand what all the fuss is about in this thread.

They also made some comments about his grotesque character design :p

I was 10 when I got a PSX. I don't think I even remember anyone in my school saying crash was better than Mario 64. Mario 64 was a huge wow moment in gaming.

OR maybe they honestly just like it more. I dunno.

I understand why some people would be down on this video, Smosh ripped in to crash whilst praising Mario 64. They talk about linear gameplay as if it's a bad thing.

Actually, I disagree with quite few things in this video.

Yeah lol. I still think the design is fine.

Jebusman

Banned
I only got to play the Crash games sometime way past release, like 2006, and they just never took hold of me. I tried coming at them with an open mind but I feel like part of the love of that series really was a "you had to be there" moment.

Now CTR on the other hand, that game was fucking dope. We need another one of those.

Lynd7

Running towards the camera is a bad idea though, I dunno why they thought that was good. Even if it isn't absolutely terrible, its always been a bit weird.

I remember my sister getting really into Crash, but it never did anything for me. I'm just as unenthusiastic about it today as I was in the 90s. Of course, the same is true for Mario 64.

I understand why some people would be down on this video, Smosh ripped in to crash whilst praising Mario 64. They talk about linear gameplay as if it's a bad thing.

Actually, I disagree with quite few things in this video.

Yeah lol. I still think the design is fine.

I don't know. It's Smosh and they're obviously just jokingly bringing up some of the mentallity that was going around at the time of the games original release.
Honestly don't understand why some people are getting riled up over this. This brand of humour has been their stick since forever.

SeanR1221

Or maybe people acyually enjoyed those games without resorting to fanboy nonsense comparing them with SM64?
Do some really think these games are so bad that the only way people can think fondly of them is because nostalgia?
Edit: this is not per se directed at you, but it's something I've seen quite a few times.

Mario did so many revolutionary things at the time it's hard not to compare the games. I don't think anyone is saying crash was bad at the time but that design doesn't really hold up today.

OR maybe they honestly just like it more. I dunno.

I was simply asking how old some people were and how well they remember console wars pre-widespread internet days. Maybe I lived in a bubble ;)

Moze

Banned
I only got to play the Crash games sometime way past release, like 2006, and they just never took hold of me. I tried coming at them with an open mind but I feel like part of the love of that series really was a "you had to be there" moment.

Can't the same be said for all early 3d games? The fact is that none of the 3d games from that era hold up. Even games considered some of the best of all time like Mario 64/Zelda do not hold up well. They're shit by the standards we expect today. I can't see how anybody can argue any different.

rjc571

Banned
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never found the Crash games to be as good as such a large fan base would make you think.

I mean, MARIO 64 was just on a completely different level: more open, more variety, real 3D, better camera, more varied gameplay, more varied environments, etc etc.

And if you consider it a 2D title, it just doesn't come near the best Mario and Sonic and DK have to offer.

Ignoring it's less ambitious design, the control never felt as tight or fluid as the bests in the genre.

That said, glad those that do love the games are getting what looks like a really well-done remake here very soon!

How in the hell can you think Mario 64 has a better camera than Crash Bandicoot? That's about as close to an incorrect opinion as you can possibly get. Crash's camera perfectly frames the action at all times, while Mario 64's routinely gets stuck on walls and directs you into bottomless pits through sudden random swings that are impossible to anticipate.

Being more "open" does not necessarily make for a better experience. Mario's levels mostly consist of empty voids with level objectives ranging from completely trivial to totally obtuse, with very little of the tight, precision based navigation through enemies and obstacles that made the previous entries such a joy to master. As a fan of classic platforming, it's clear that Crash passed the torch into 3D far better than Mario 64 could ever dream of.

Running towards the camera is a bad idea though, I dunno why they thought that was good. Even if it isn't absolutely terrible, its always been a bit weird.

It's a great mechanic for testing your ability to react quickly to obstacles. The camera is pulled back just far enough that you always have just enough time you need to react to what pops up in front of you. It's basically a translation of the forced autoscrolling stages from SMB3/World into 3D, with extremely effective results.

I don't know. It's Smosh and they're obviously just jokingly bringing up some of the mentallity that was going around at the time of the games original release.
Honestly don't understand why some people are getting riled up over this. This brand of humour has been their stick since forever.

Yeah I don't really know much about Smosh, I've only seen about 3-4 honest trailers. I guess I just happened to come across some rather positive one's.

Fj0823

Man people who grew up with Nintendo/SEGA really REALLY like to try and convince themselves Crash is this awful piece of shit that only poor peasants who couldn't know better because of their console like.

Jebusman

Banned
Can't the same be said for all early 3d games? The fact is that none of the 3d games from that era hold up. Even games considered some of the best of all time like Mario 64/Zelda do not hold up well. They're shit by the standards we expect today. I can't see how anybody can argue any different.

Mario 64 holds up extremely well by the standards of today. Like honestly outside of camera control and arguably graphics, Mario 64 could come out right now as some indie platformer thing and would fit right in.

I agree, it would have been one thing if they pulled the camera back so you could see everything but because of the way they do it you end up not getting nearly as much time to properly react as you would if they had just pulled the camera back a bit.

I think its kinda hilarious that I see so many posts on here that seem to have people genuinely upset about the video. It's a comedy video guys they bash pretty much everything most of the time with some truth to it.

I think the first few Crash games are pretty good but yeah Crash isn't even close to something like Mario or honestly even Sonic, I always thought the proof of that was that it didn't take long for Sony to start looking for another mascot type character, first Spyro, then Jak and Daxter, then Rachet and Clank, hell I think R+C has been more of a mascot for Sony then Crash ever really was. Crash just never seemed to have the same kind of appeal as a Mario or even a Sonic.

Nev

Banned
Being more "open" does not necessarily make for a better experience. Mario's levels mostly consist of empty voids with level objectives ranging from completely trivial to totally obtuse, with very little of the tight, precision based navigation through enemies and obstacles that made the previous entries such a joy to master. As a fan of classic platforming, it's clear that Crash passed the torch into 3D far better than Mario 64 could ever dream of.

Completely agree. Just like TLOU is the true continuation of RE4 for me, Crash 2 is what I expected (and luckily got with a different name) from Mario going 3D.

And you can tell who's just hating when they say the games don't hold up bs. Crash 1 is the only one that feels dated. Crash 2 in particular is to this day an absolute joy to play and an unquestionable must for anyone who pretends to be a fan of platformers.

Marcel

It's like some of y'all have never seen an Honest trailer video before. They always go in on whatever game gets featured.

Jebusman

Banned
And you can tell who's just hating when they say the games don't hold up bs. Crash 1 is the only one that feels dated. Crash 2 in particular is to this day an absolute joy to play and an unquestionable must for anyone who pretends to be a fan of platformers.

In the same way that Sonic 1 is sort of garbage but sets the style, Sonic 2 is the pinnacle of the franchise, and Sonic 3 is alright but can't capture the magic of 2.

It feels like that's exactly how people view the Crash series as well.

All I can say is how I felt playing the games for the first time 10+ years after they came out, and other than the masterpiece that is CTR, none of them really grabbed me.

Moze

Banned
Mario 64 holds up extremely well by the standards of today. Like honestly outside of camera control and arguably graphics, Mario 64 could come out right now as some indie platformer thing and would fit right in.

The camera is so important in a 3d platforming game. The fact the camera is dogshite means it does not hold up well. I played it much later than everyone else and thought it was shite. I know many people who played Ocarina of Time much later and found that to be shite. Early 3d games do not hold up well. I can't think of any example of an early 3d game that genuinely holds up.

Top Bottom