• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Review Thread

You guys know that regardless of how you feel about Crash, we also have to buy this game in order for the Spyro Trilogy to be possible as well. And sweet baby Jesus I fucking NEED the Spyro Trilogy.

Hindl

Sometimes it feels like Mario is the only platforming mascot GAF likes and anyone else like Sonic or Banjo or Crash are old and outdated and should not exist in modern gaming or whatever.
Well that's because Mario evolved and continued to get games well passed the Gamecube generation, while Banjo and Crash never got new traditional games, and Sonic has been on a downward spiral for decades. If Sony had kept making Crash games for the past 20 years they would've updated the design to be more suitable for modern gaming. But they didn't, Naughty Dog went on to make other franchises and the other Crash games explored different genres. So you're basically comparing Crash games developed at a time where people were still figuring out 3D vs Mario games that have been evolving with the times

BiggNife

7-8 ok but 6 ? ...
3pLYRqH.gif

It's one 6 in a sea of 8s. Chillax, dudes.

pswii60

For my wife this will be a solid 10/10. Of course your hardcore gamer videogame journalists aren't going to love it but its target audience most certainly will.

Peter Brown
2791689-8648413180-hSEo1d.jpeg

Peter stayed current with new Crash games during the PlayStation's life span; playing the N. Sane Trilogy marks the first time he's revisited the series in almost 20 years, and he played roughly halfway through each game in the collection. GameSpot was provided with a complimentary copy of the game for the purpose of this review.

Clickbait and you all fell for it.

Honestly, that Gamespot review...

Looking forward to playing this, my amazon preorder should arrive tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be able to play it until monday at the earliest. Hold me GAF!

I really can't wait for my pre-order to unlock tonight!!!!!

image.php

Servbot24

Banned
You guys know that regardless of how you feel about Crash, we also have to buy this game in order for the Spyro Trilogy to be possible as well. And sweet baby Jesus I fucking NEED the Spyro Trilogy.

I'm not going to buy a product for the purpose of encouraging a corporation to sell me more products, lol

Question as someone who hasn't played any Crash Bandicoot (outside of that one part from that one PS4 game that came out last year): If I didn't like the Jak trilogy, what are the odds that I would like these? More specifically, I thought J&D was competent while unspectacular but I really didn't like Jak 2 & 3 at all. Or is Crash different enough from Jak that it's a moot point? Thanks.

timberger

We're really burning through the usual routine from every Crash thread here, huh? Ah well, at least fan reactions to that 6/10 score are a lot more restrained than they were with Jim Sterling's Zelda review.

Are you just putting random words together to try and seem like you know what you're talking about?

Sounds like Zia alright. The poor man's ghst.

HardRojo

It depends. I didn't play SFV, but from what I've heard it sounds like an excellent game that should have a couple points knocked off for not having much content.

An example I can use personally is MGSV. Maybe the best core gameplay ever in gaming, but was obviously missing content. However because MGSV's gameplay is so transcendent it makes up for that quite a bit and I can personally give it a 9/10.

In the case of Crash, it sounds like he found the content to be less than ideal, and also found the core gameplay to be nothing special. So 6/10 makes sense.
Ah yeah, I can see how that makes sense. MGSV is a great example to bring here, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing it, heck I spent countless hours just wandering in the open world, taking over outposts and more stuff, the gameplay is the best the series has ever seen, but I would definitely take a couple of points off for the lackluster story and clearly botched content. It ultimately soured my experience with the game, not to mention the microtransactions and other BS Konami clearly asked to be included in the game. With that said, MGSV was probably a 8/10 for me, while MGS3 is still a 10/10.

Zalman

Question as someone who hasn't played any Crash Bandicoot (outside of that one part from that one PS4 game that came out last year): If I didn't like the Jak trilogy, what are the odds that I would like these? More specifically, I thought J&D was competent while unspectacular but I really didn't like Jak 2 & 3 at all. Or is Crash different enough from Jak that it's a moot point? Thanks.
Crash is more linear compared to those games. It's not so much about exploring as it is about getting from point A to point B like a traditional 2D platformer. Levels are bite-sized, and you are encouraged to replay them. Personally I enjoy these games much more than the Jak series. I thought Jak 1 was great while 2 and 3 were garbage.

Nev

Banned

It's an old school platformer. Think classic level selector, obstacle course 2D Mario and that's what you will get.

No downtimes or open bs at all. The platforming in 3 is kinda buried under some shitty gimmick levels though and 1 plays clunkier than the rest (apparenty they fixed this in the remake, meaning it's as good if not better because it's the harder).

2 is a masterpiece.

Nice to see good scores apart from the troll that didn't play the games.

HardRojo

You can like them as much as you want, but calling them some of the best platformers ever made? Your opinion is your opinion and that's fine. For me there is a preeeeeeeety huge gap between Mario Galaxy and Crash though. Opinions. 🤗
Sure, Mario Galaxy is a great game by its own right, heck, both 1 and 2 are amazing games, but you can't seriously expect 1996-1998 games to come close, that's why when you say "3 of the best platformers ever made" you are also saying there are great ones that came before and after too, which in this case would include both Galaxy titles.

I'm playing the first game and it is way too difficult. I don't think the controls are tight enough to justify it. There's a lot of trial and error and it's honestly very annoying. I've had enough of it after the first world.

Whatever, nobody liked Crash 1 anyway. I'm gonna move onto the other games and forget the original exists. Disappointing that they couldn't bring it up to standard.

Clickbait and you all fell for it.

Crash is way better than Jak. The only worthwhile Jak game is 1 anyway.

Crash is a straightforward stage platformer. Compared to Jak as an open adventure platformer.

Jam games are pretty mediocre... only notable because they are exclusive. I honestly think Naughty Dog loafed a bit.

Crash is more linear compared to those games. It's not so much about exploring as it is about getting from point A to point B like a traditional 2D platformer. Levels are bite-sized, and you are encouraged to replay them. Personally I enjoy these games much more than the Jak series. I thought Jak 1 was great while 2 and 3 were garbage.

It's an old school platformer. Think classic level selector, obstacle course 2D Mario and that's what you will get.

No downtimes or open bs at all. The platforming in 3 is kinda buried under some shitty gimmick levels though and 1 plays clunkier than the rest (apparenty they fixed this in the remake, meaning it's as good if not better because it's the harder).
Alright, that sounds a lot more up my alley. I'll be sure to give these a shot. Thanks!

Unknown?

Crash is linear and level based whereas Jak 2/3 are open world. Crash doesn't have the fluff so I'd say you're fine if you like platforming.

cordy

Banned
I'm playing the first game and it is way too difficult. I don't think the controls are tight enough to justify it. There's a lot of trial and error and it's honestly very annoying. I've had enough of it after the first world.

Whatever, nobody liked Crash 1 anyway. I'm gonna move onto the other games and forget the original exists. Disappointing that they couldn't bring it up to standard.

5292160-8450398773-latest

I'm Trunks. I'm here from the future to erase this bad opinion.

There are a lot of people who love Crash 1. I'm one of them. I played the game a few months ago and it was fun.

Sullichin

I love it

The best levels are definitely on the second and third islands.

HardRojo

Was it just me, or did that ACG review show multiple instances of the framerate just fucking tanking? Like, going into slow motion for a couple seconds?

I couldn't tell if it was the video, a stylistic thing in the game, or a genuine problem.

Locked 30 fps on both base and Pro PS4s. Pro doesn't drop a single frame, while the only instance of base PS4 dropping a frame was during a cutscene (dropped to low 20s), and honestly it looked more like a bug as nothing spectacular was going on from the looks of it.

silva1991

It's the worst one, but I still love it. It's the reason why I got PS1 and said bye bye to Nintendo for almost 20 year lol.

My prefer Crash is the first one. Bridge level weren't ever surpassed.

The bridge with the pigs was insanely hard. fuck those levels lol.

Karak

Was it just me, or did that ACG review show multiple instances of the framerate just fucking tanking? Like, going into slow motion for a couple seconds?

I couldn't tell if it was the video, a stylistic thing in the game, or a genuine problem.

It does drop a couple times but the encode went horribly wrong somewhere. So I am reuploading the video now. Not at all sure what happened.

tolkir

It's the worst one, but I still love it. It's the reason why I got PS1 and said bye bye to Nintendo for almost 20 year lol.

The bridge with the pigs was insanely hard. fuck those levels lol.

They were too addicted to me, I don't know why.

I would love a hack Crash game with only bridge levels.

HardRojo

Really didn't expect it to score so low, with all the content included.

Except it's within the ballpark of what most logical people expected. 81 isn't low by any mains. Seems like the outlier review from GS is affecting perception a lot more than it should.

An 81 is low?

I mean, an 81 for a shot-for-shot remake of a near-20 year old set of platformers seems REALLY good to me.

The games were fantastic for their time, but the difficulty can be a bit of a turn-off in 2017. low to mid 80s is precisely where I was hoping this game would land.

That GameSpot review though....Guh. It's poorly written and poorly argued.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

2 is a masterpiece.

Nice to see good scores apart from the troll that didn't play the games.

It's not really like Mario though, because Crash is not atheltic at all, so modern 2D Mario is quite different. I think from Nintendo's staple, the SNES DKCs are closest to Crash Bandicoot actually.

Mugy

How does other recent platformer games had performed in the review part? Like Tropical Freeze, for example

Yukinari

How does other recent platformer games had performed in the review part? Like Tropical Freeze, for example

Gamespot is notoriously one of the sites that suffers from git gud syndrome.

I dont normally like to say that cause it deters people from games like the Souls series but they REALLY arent good at platformers.

8's and 9's aren't low and that now makes up the much of the reviews.

Those first two pages are pretty laughable now with having many who jumped the gun before the 8's (including 7.9 too) and 9's started coming in.

That Gamespot review is trash tier.

From the Gamespot review

...what exactly was he expecting?

Would he dislike a Mario game where goombas walk back towards you after you've jumped over them?

For my wife this will be a solid 10/10. Of course your hardcore gamer videogame journalists aren't going to love it but its target audience most certainly will.

This.

Shit like this is why I normally don't read or trust reviews. Some of the reasoning behind the scores are absolutely moronic at times.

This. Complaining about the amount of content in this is absolutely bonkers.

Gurish

Obviously the game is a little dated today but I bet it would still be a blast for kids, children just LOVES Crash and this type of gameplay.

Loudninja

The Games Machine 8/10
Vicarious Visions did a great job in preserving the original vibe of the Bandicoot saga while giving a brand new contemporary look to the games. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is a great journey through the PSX age without the aging effect, and it's a solid comeback for Crash. The three platform games are still fun today, and Warped is as amazing as it was almost 20 years ago. Maybe the design of the first, iconic, chapter is a little bit old-fashioned, but overall the collection has a great value both for nostalgic players and newcomers.
http://www.thegamesmachine.it/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/crash-bandicoot-trilogy-recensione-ps4/

IGN Spain 9/10
http://es.ign.com/crash-bandicoot-remastered-ps4/120419/review/crash-nsane-trilogy-analisis-para-ps4

Gamesradar 3.5/5
http://www.gamesradar.com/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-review/

Meristation 8.8
http://meristation.as.com/playstation-4/crash-bandicoot-n--sane-trilogy/analisis-juego/2132744

Top Bottom