• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Launch in UK bigger than Horizon

Drencrom

Biggest single format release of the year

"B-b-but no one cares about Crash! Those games were always bad"

Congrats Vicarious Visions, hopefully this means they'll make a worthy Crash sequel to the original trilogy.

black070

You might want a towel to wipe up all that sarcasm. Yes we all have different tastes and opinions but Horizon really is a top game. Its sad that the UK doesn't feel that way though according to sales but I wish Crash remastered all the success possible. I'm not pushing a slight against either game just saying Horizon should do as well as Crash is doing.

Don't fret, Horizon sold very well - which is why this feat is so impressive.

Not surprised at all. Crash was always going to sell like gangbusters in the UK. 100k + sales is a resounding success. Congrats to all involved in making this happen, and here's to Crash Team Racing being next. ;]

Yea, if only game sales were that simple...

Crash outselling Horizon should be surprising. Even if built on Nostalgia, a game debuting to more than 100k sales in one week is insane, especially a remake.

It's not just that it sold well, it's that it sold so damn incredibly well.

In this case, it literally is that simple.

Game A is a known property, that had it's nostalgia stoked in one of the biggest selling games of the last year, and is £30 or cheaper in most places.

Game B is a brand new property, that most of the public didn't know about prior to release, has very little built-in auidence based on the name or the developer and costs >£45 in most places.

Rymuth

250px-Wrathofcortex_boxart.jpg
Lawl beat me to it

jts

...hate me...
£30 vs £50
Nostalgia vs no nostalgia
3 games vs 1 game

But mostly £30 vs £50. Value > raw sales.

In this case, it literally is that simple.

Game A is a known property, that had it's nostalgia stoked in one of the biggest selling games of the last year, and is £30 or cheaper in most places.

Game B is a brand new property, that most of the public didn't know about prior to release, has very little built-in auidence based on the name or the developer and costs >£45 in most places.

In your scenario, wouldn't remasters/remakes of known great games or ones that are considered classics also do incredibly well?

But they don't really. They just pull decent numbers and certainly don't debut to >100k in a week.

Zedark

You might want a towel to wipe up all that sarcasm. Yes we all have different tastes and opinions but Horizon really is a top game. Its sad that the UK doesn't feel that way though according to sales but I wish Crash remastered all the success possible. I'm not pushing a slight against either game just saying Horizon should do as well as Crash is doing.

But they do feel that way. Horizon Zero Dawn was the biggest game launch of the year before Ghost Recon Wildlands and now Crash Remastered, outselling stuff like For Honor and Resident Evil. That Crash outsold H:ZD says more about the N-sane number of copies sold for that game than about an alleged bad sales performance by Horizon.

Why though? The originals were never good and the remake just looks like some CGi mock-up you'd usually see in the background of some television show.

In your scenario, wouldn't remasters/remakes of known great games or ones that are considered classics also do incredibly well?

But they don't really. They just pull decent numbers and certainly don't debut to >100k in a week.

If they sold more than 7m 15 years ago, haven't had a decent re-release since and had a teaser in a massively selling game from another beloved franchise, then yes, exactly the same would happen.

Amazing sales. Crash was a big deal in the 90s when PS1 was reigning. The games would be on charts forever. Nice to see this resurgence. Hopefully we get man more platformer revivals in the future. Spyro next? Also need a new Jak and Daxter please.

bombshell

So Horizon Zero Dawn did 2.6 million worldwide in its first 2 weeks, if Crash can even approach something like 4 million in first month then it's a huge success for a PS4 only re-release.

bede-x

So well deserved and a big thanks to VV/Activision/Sony for making this happen. Now give us more. Spyro, another Crash trilogy and new games that focus on platforming instead of gimmicks.

Zedark

So Horizon Zero Dawn did 2.6 million worldwide in its first 2 weeks, if Crash can even approach something like 4 million in first month then it's a huge success for a PS4 only re-release.

I'm not so sure about that myself. If we go by amazon charts (which turned out to be quite accurate for UK), the game doesn't to be selling as well as Horizon in other territories (although still good of course), and besides that Horizon sold 3.4 million units at the end of April, so after two months. Selling 4 million in a month is still a massive feat that I don't it'll reach because of the sheer size of units sold it needs to achieve.

Suzzopher

Whilst I was playing Crash at the weekend my five year old son piped up with "I don't like him, he's annoying" such a bloody Nintendo fanboy that kid.

If they sold more than 7m 15 years ago, haven't had a decent re-release since and had a teaser in a massively selling game from another beloved franchise, then yes, exactly the same would happen.

I see. It becomes so simple when you add such specific factors as requirements.

I've been going back and forth playing the originals and N-Sane Trilogy.
Crash 2 and 3 hold up so damn well. Such fun games. I hope we see more.

pswii60

Why though? The originals were never good and the remake just looks like some CGi mock-up you'd usually see in the background of some television show.

Well I think the games are pure fun. And there is a bigger target audience, and my wife is included that. She loves the simplicity of the Crash games: no worrying about controlling a camera. When you think about how complicated so many games are to control, there still needs to be simpler games to welcome newcomers and casuals back in to our hobby.
It was TT and not ND but I really enjoyed it. I remember it getting criticised for not doing anything new, but that was kind of the point. If you liked Crash, this was most certainly more of it.
It'll see more sales too when the Xbox One version releases later this year. Hopefully enough to justify investment in a decent sequel.

Bruno MB

I doubt any Mario platformer debuted selling over 100,000 units in the UK.

I will check Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, they are the only one that could have debuted selling over 100,000 units.

[Week 47, 2009] NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (NINTENDO) - 79,000 / NEW
[Week 23, 2010] SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 (NINTENDO) - 77,000 / NEW

[Week 46, 2009] SUPER MARIO GALAXY (NINTENDO) - No Data but highly likely that it sold less than 100,000 since it debuted 2 spots below Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 which sold 105,000 units.

We can accurately say that Crash Bandicoot Remake outsold every Super Mario platformer in the UK.

black070

[Week 46, 2009] SUPER MARIO GALAXY (NINTENDO) - No Data but highly likely that it sold less than 100,000 since it debuted 2 spots below Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 which sold 105,000 units.

We can accurately say that Crash Bandicoot Remake outsold every Super Mario platformer in the UK.

Damn.

TrutaS

It's a cheaper game. And an established franchise with a lot of nostalgia.

Still super surprising to me, but the relevance of the fact that a new IP managed to do as well as Horizon is not detracted by Crash's success.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

While impressive....outside of the Wii all Nintendo consoles had lackluster performances in the UK - add in the software pricing and more competition during the Holidays and a+100k for Mario launch is a pipedream.

PS4 is like the most succesful console ever in UK and the Crash collection is cheap/good....perfect storm.

Top Bottom