• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Launch in UK bigger than Horizon

cover_small.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bubsy actually was ALWAYS bad, right?

Mezoly

Why though? The originals were never good and the remake just looks like some CGi mock-up you'd usually see in the background of some television show.

Sarcasm?

I had my doubts because people were saying they were not good and I thought nostalgia was tricking me but after playing the trilogy again this week, I begun to wonder who the people are saying that the originals were never good. Either they didn't play those games, were bad at it, lump it with other games that "were bad" like Sonic,or prefer a different mustached platformer. Obviously it's people taste and they can prefer whatever they like. The originals might not be the greatest but they are certainly at least good.

[Week 47, 2009] NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (NINTENDO) - 79,000 / NEW
[Week 23, 2010] SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 (NINTENDO) - 77,000 / NEW

[Week 46, 2009] SUPER MARIO GALAXY (NINTENDO) - No Data but highly likely that it sold less than 100,000 since it debuted 2 spots below Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 which sold 105,000 units.

We can accurately say that Crash Bandicoot Remake outsold every Super Mario platformer in the UK.

Where is that weight lifting gif when you need it?^^

bombshell

I'm not so sure about that myself. If we go by amazon charts (which turned out to be quite accurate for UK), the game doesn't to be selling as well as Horizon in other territories (although still good of course), and besides that Horizon sold 3.4 million units at the end of April, so after two months. Selling 4 million in a month is still a massive feat that I don't it'll reach because of the sheer size of units sold it needs to achieve.

Yeah, but that's also why I took care to add "approach" 4 million. It should be safe for doing above 3 million with an extra 2 weeks, if talking first month sales for Crash.

noshten

In fact, the only game to have enjoyed a bigger Week One was Ubisoft's Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which was released across multiple platforms.

Overall, UK boxed game sales are up 93% week-on-week to 331,000 games sold.

- Christopher Dring

updated OP

Based on 331K weekly sales - I definitely think the UK debut might be well over 100K

Nev

Banned
Yeah sure. I mean all of these people are waiting for an actually good platformer (Mario Odyssey) so they're trying to quench their thirst with some subpar remake of games that were never good. But hey nostalgia will sell everything!

People only liked those because they couldn't play the superior N64 platformers. Linear levels lmao.

Odyssey can't come soon enough. It's time for Nintendo to show the rest of the world how to make a platformer because no platformer ever has come close to the immaculate greatness that is Mario, only Banjo and other N64-exclusive platformers.

It's clear as day at this point that good platformers are only possible on Nintendo hardware.

God bless Miyamoto-sama.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Outselling Mario is not deserved, but Crash Bandicoot is a good series of games and I am very happy it has been a success. I just hope that the result of this success is a new Crash Bandicoot game, rather than any more remakes / ports. Crash Team Racing and Spyro 1-3 can still be played without any issues on PS1-3, PSP and PSV, so please, give us new content, rather than just repeats of former glories.

Drencrom

[Week 47, 2009] NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (NINTENDO) - 79,000 / NEW
[Week 23, 2010] SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 (NINTENDO) - 77,000 / NEW

[Week 46, 2009] SUPER MARIO GALAXY (NINTENDO) - No Data but highly likely that it sold less than 100,000 since it debuted 2 spots below Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 which sold 105,000 units.

We can accurately say that Crash Bandicoot Remake outsold every Super Mario platformer in the UK.

That's pretty crazy

Why did Sony ever sold the IP?

Sony never owned the IP in the first place, Universal owned Crash which then ended up in the hands of Activision.

Scotia

Banned
Absolutely amazing news, very well deserved! Congratulations VV! For the first time in forever I'm actually looking forward to the future of Crash Bandicoot.

Toki767

Somebody should do interview with Jim Rayan now and ask him about old games again XD

Take a look at Sony's output.

He clearly meant he doesn't think people are willing to play old games without modern conveniences (and better visuals) which is why Sony are remaking a lot of their old games.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why did Sony ever sold the IP?

Crash was made by Naughty Dog which was owned by Universal Studios. When the team finished work on first batch of [highly successful] Crash games, Universal exited the games business and ND got purchased by Sony. Crash IP remained at Universal, and later on went to Activision.

Welfare

That's an incredible result. Crash always did well on the PS3 digital charts so the hype and demand over there is high. The US result will be interesting.

Foxxsoxx

I thought it would do okay but never this well. That's awesome. Glad to see Crash get some love, it's been too long.

latest

Crash was made by Naughty Dog which was owned by Universal Studios. When the team finished work on first batch of [highly successful] Crash games, Universal exited the games business and ND got purchased by Sony. Crash IP remained at Universal, and later on went to Activision.

Actually Universal didn't exit the games business. They licensed the Crash IP(and Spyro too) to various weird developers and you got stuff like Wrath of Cortex, Enter the Dragonfly and then they became Vivendi Universal you got Twinsanity and A Hero's Tail.

Edit: Nvm I read your sentence wrong.

Never owned it in the first place.

They didn't own it in the first place, they signed a contract with Universal (owner of Crash IP) to make 3 games on PS1.

Sony never owned it.

Sony never owned the IP in the first place, Universal owned Crash which then ended up in the hands of Activision.

He was a mascot for Playstation but was never owned by Sony.

They never owned it to begin with. Its why now if Sony publishes something they want the IP rights outside of games like Spiderman.

Ok ok okaaaay :p

Top Bottom