• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepy unsolved/paranormal/strange events thread

El_Chino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_Disappearance

I've been discussing this incident on another forum and thought i would share the actual radio transmission from the plane to air traffic control.

One of the most intriguing cases, it happened not far from where i live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOTi-dLBJY
Creepy.

Also while on stumble upon last night I found an article that stated that there was a giant serpant sighting in the Thames River in London in 1999! Is this true?! Lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_Disappearance

I've been discussing this incident on another forum and thought i would share the actual radio transmission from the plane to air traffic control.

One of the most intriguing cases, it happened not far from where i live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOTi-dLBJY

Given that the guy who disappeared was, himself, a UFO nut, his is my favourite explanation:

"Brian Dunning, in a recent episode of the Skeptoid podcast has speculated that Valentich became disorientated while attempting to replicate the second of the opening sequences from the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind noting similarities in the Valentich ATC transcript and the air traffic control dialog from Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

-Stranger-

Given that the guy who disappeared was, himself, a UFO nut, his is my favourite explanation:

"Brian Dunning, in a recent episode of the Skeptoid podcast has speculated that Valentich became disorientated while attempting to replicate the second of the opening sequences from the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind noting similarities in the Valentich ATC transcript and the air traffic control dialog from Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Yeah i have also heard of this theory and the similarities of the transcript and the film are definitely there.

The official story is he and his plane simply vanished.
No wreck or body ever found.

Just as his plane left the mainland, past a place called Cape Otaway a photographer accidentally captured an anomaly or object flying at incredible speed from the ocean up in the sky. It had a remarkable heat source and even NASA studied it and determined it was traveling in excess of 200mph.

Here is an image of it

fb73ab040ee5.png

BTW - I just found out that youtube link is apparently a reenactment of the conversation with air traffic control, the real recording is about 6 mins long and is either still classified or destroyed.

man all this talk about australia reminds me

wasn't there some story of some dude in australia who got lost on some road and either was attacked/thought we as attacked by some creature or whatever and he's in a mental hospital now?

i remember some gaf thread where someone interviewed the dude or whatever and whatever happened to him, it scarred him for life

or am i nuts?

wasn't there some story of some dude in australia who got lost on some road and either was attacked/thought we as attacked by some creature or whatever and he's in a mental hospital now?

i remember some gaf thread where someone interviewed the dude or whatever and whatever happened to him, it scarred him for life

or am i nuts?

The Pilliga Princess?

EDIT: The guy was Bongo, here's the interview: http://blogs.abc.net.au/localradio/2009/10/the-pilliga-princess-.html

Teknoman

or am i nuts?

It was the something or other princess? I remember listening to the link that was posted...and the guy sounded legitimately disturbed about his experience :/

EDIT: ^ yeah thats the name.

El_Chino

I still expect to see something staring back at me each time I do that.
You should've seen how paranoid I was when I lived in the suburbs. My blinds were always shut close at night. My room window looked over the backyard exactly where our shed was and I always felt if I looked out at night I would see something creep around the shed. Fuck that.

You should've seen how paranoid I was when I lived in the suburbs. My blinds were always shut close at night. My room window looked over the backyard exactly where our shed was and I always felt if I looked out at night I would see something creep around the shed. Fuck that.

Well, when I was 14, I once did have someone staring back at me when I looked through the window at night. That might've influenced that a bit. :lol

The thing I usually imagine is just the alien from Signs.

Any recent black eyed kids reports? Those always give me the willies.

I was just thinking about what I'd do if I ever encountered BEK's. Either run and hide, or just go berserk.

Then again, I'm under the impression that my part of Western Europe is pretty much ghosted out: I've never heard of anyone here encountering anything even remotely paranormal. Me and my sister once saw a few UFO-like things on the horizon, but I'm pretty sure they were just military craft.

Teknoman

Well, when I was 14, I once did have someone staring back at me when I looked through the window at night. That might've influenced that a bit. :lol.

Whoa. Like as soon as you looked out, or was it just a matter of coincidence? They happened to be walking by the instant you looked out?

El_Chino

Well, when I was 14, I once did have someone staring back at me when I looked through the window at night. That might've influenced that a bit. :lol

The thing I usually imagine is just the alien from Signs.

I was just thinking about what I'd do if I ever encountered BEK's. Either run and hide, or just go berserk.

Then again, I'm under the impression that my part of Western Europe is pretty much ghosted out: I've never heard of anyone here encountering anything even remotely paranormal. Me and my sister once saw a few UFO-like things on the horizon, but I'm pretty sure they were just military craft.
Exactly the scene I always pictured in my head! Man that movie freaked me out when I was younger.

Whoa. Like as soon as you looked out, or was it just a matter of coincidence? They happened to be walking by the instant you looked out?

It was in my mom's house, and I was up pretty late playing F.E.A.R. (I think). Our computer desk is beneath a small, but high up window my mom used to crack open when she was making dinner (it's right beside the kitchen). That little window looks out over the front part of our yard, which is about five or six meters removed from the street. We live in a pretty small town, so normally, there's not a lot of people still outside at that time of night. As I'm shutting down my game, I thought I heard a faint knocking, but dismissed it because, well, who the fuck would come to our door in the middle of the night. I turn off the computer, get up, and the little window is on my eye level. At first, I only see my own reflection in the glass, and then suddenly I notice there's someone standing at the other side of the window as well. Obviously I'm a bit taken aback, and call for my mom, who comes rushing down.

The woman starts talking to my mom in a Dutch accent (we live in Belgium), asking her where she can find the local laundry works. It's just down the street from us, so my mom quickly sends her on her way and double checks the locks on everything, even that little window. The laundry works is obviously closed at 1 AM, so why she wanted to go there, I'll never know. What I do know is that I didn't sleep very soundly that night. :lol

So no, it wasn't a coincidence, this woman just came into your yard and started looking in through our windows.

It was in my mom's house, and I was up pretty late playing F.E.A.R. (I think). Our computer desk is beneath a small, but high up window my mom used to crack open when she was making dinner (it's right beside the kitchen). That little window looks out over the front part of our yard, which is about five or six meters removed from the street. We live in a pretty small town, so normally, there's not a lot of people still outside at that time of night. As I'm shutting down my game, I thought I heard a faint knocking, but dismissed it because, well, who the fuck would come to our door in the middle of the night. I turn off the computer, get up, and the little window is on my eye level. At first, I only see my own reflection in the glass, and then suddenly I notice there's someone standing at the other side of the window as well. Obviously I'm a bit taken aback, and call for my mom, who comes rushing down.

The woman starts talking to my mom in a Dutch accent (we live in Belgium), asking her where she can find the local laundry works. It's just down the street from us, so my mom quickly sends her on her way and double checks the locks on everything, even that little window. The laundry works is obviously closed at 1 AM, so why she wanted to go there, I'll never know. What I do know is that I didn't sleep very soundly that night. :lol

So no, it wasn't a coincidence, this woman just came into your yard and started looking in through our windows.
Here in the States, 24hr laundromats are common. Not scary. GO FISH!

Teknoman

So Slenderman has finally become an actual thing outside of the internet:

Strange Intruders
Date: 03-04-14
Host: George Noory
Guests: David Weatherly
Author, and paranormal investigator David Weatherly will discuss his 35 years of experience exploring the weird and unexplained, including his fascinating work on the Black Eyed Children phenomenon, and his new research on various entity encounters including the Djinn, UFOs, Shadow People, and other humanoids such as the Slenderman.

Strange Intruders
Author, and paranormal investigator David Weatherly will discuss his 35 years of experience exploring the weird and unexplained, including his fascinating work on the Black Eyed Children phenomenon, and his new research on various entity encounters including the Djinn, UFOs, Shadow People, and other humanoids such as the Slenderman.

That's really embarrassing unless they are going to explain that it was something created online that's 100% not real.

El_Chino

Strange Intruders
Is this for a paranormal conference?

FloatOn

kind of a shot in the dark here but I'm having trouble finding this one creepy pasta I read years ago about this photographer who was warned by this entity to stop taking photos.

the photographer didn't and this entity is basically what caused 9/11. anyone know what I'm talking about?

El_Chino

kind of a shot in the dark here but I'm having trouble finding this one creepy pasta I read years ago about this photographer who was warned by this entity to stop taking photos.

the photographer didn't and this entity is basically what caused 9/11. anyone know what I'm talking about?
Only 9/11 creepy pasta I'm familiar with is the Lost episode of Seinfeld.

Who

Banned
Bumping this due to the thread about the Gaffer who thinks his apartment is haunted.

I am definitely open to the idea of ghosts based off a few unexplainable experiences in my life.

The most crazy experience I had was in 1st or 2nd grade. I remember it vividly. Our teacher gave us a piece of paper (I remember it being like a giant cartoon bear with a giant tummy to write things in the middle) that we had to take home to our parents and have them write our basic genealogy/family lineage. Well, as was typical of me in school, I ignored the assignment and failed to give it to my mom that night. I was faced with dread when the teacher came around to collect them the next day, but to my surprise, I found the paper in my backpack, filled out with my genealogy on it. It said something along the lines of "David is from Cherokee descent and has Polish ancestors on his dad's side, yada yada"

I went home and thanked my mom for filling it out, but she had no idea what I was talking about. She didn't really think anything of it until the next parent-teacher conference in which she asked to see the "genealogy assignment". She got freaked out because she didn't recognize the handwriting on it and yeah... To this day it kinda remains a mystery as to what actually happened.

I've had other experiences but that was by far the most interesting.

Who knows.

EDIT: thought of one more. Me, my brothers, and our Boy Scout troop went camping in this large property of woods that was owned by my dads friend. We were set up next to a field of tall grass (could have been corn). During the day, me and my brother were bored and started throwing rocks and sticks into it. Well, yeah, one of the sticks I threw came flying right back at me a second after I threw it. Now sure this could easily be explained by the random chance of there being some dude just lurking in the field and wanting to mess with us (which is actually a lot more unsettling of an explanation imo lol) but it freaked us out. We were camping on private property and our small troop of scouts and adults were all accounted for at the campsite at the time. It was just weird and definitely spooked us as we were expected to sleep under the stars, not even 100 meters from the field that night.

Also, there was a separate camping trip that comes to mind that had some creepy shit happen. It was a week long scout trip at some Boy Scout retreat. One night, one of our friends ended up sleep walking away from our site. He woke up and started screaming for my dad (the Boy Scout leader on the trip). My dad happened to be up at the time, was able to find him, and brought him back to the site. The next day, nobody knew about this because the kid was kinda embarrassed and my dad didn't want to embarrass him further. The very next night though, my brother ended up doing the same thing. He slept-walked and woke up in the middle woods, without any prior knowledge of the incident the night before. My brother, being a little bit more thick-skinned than our friend, didn't yell for help though and was able to find his way back to the site on his own.

That next morning, he told all of us what happened over breakfast. He said it was the weirdest thing because he woke up standing on a picnic table and he he was completely freaked out, having no idea where he was. Upon hearing this our friend admitted the same thing happened to him 2 nights before, and while not waking up standing on a picnic table, he did say he woke up standing right next to one. My brother, my dad, and him went to the place where my brother woke up and my friend claimed he woke up in the exact same place. This spooked the hell out of all of us, even my dad to an extent.

That night my other brother, not the sleepwalker, demanded that somebody tie a rope from his ankle to his cot, in a complex knot that he wouldn't watch being tied. 😂

Crazy shit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maaan, that some creepy stuff, Who. Not downright scary, but very, very creepy.

zethren

Banned
Creepy stuff, Who!

So to everyone in here who experiences things on the regular, have you ever looked into or employed any forms of protection/prevention?

Traditional blessings, iron keys, St Benedict pendants, incense, and so on. I don't believe most spirits to be harmful, though I believe there are those that are.

I'd be interested to hear some experiences with that!

zethren

Banned
So glad the paranomal thread isnt dead. I've missed reading stuff here.

EDIT: Iron keys?

It's an old belief that wearing an iron key around your neck can protect against evil. I'm not sure it has to do with it being a key so much as it has to do with it being iron. Similar to burying an iron knife under the steps of your front door to ward off evil from ever entering your home. I've heard stories of people doing things like this, and I've always found it fascinating.

Dysfunctional

Neo Member
While this might not be creepy/paranormal/strange, it is unsolved.

Peter Kenneth Bostrøm Lundin is a dane, who murdered his wife and two kids. dismembered them (Some date in July 2000)
To this day, Lundin still hasn't said a thing about where the remains are, though this was a huge national case and the police spent loads of resources searching for the victims to no avail.
Peter Lundin married and impregnated a woman during his jail time in 2014, the child has now been born.

Peter Lundin Wiki
Picture of Lundin
Impregnation Mind you, this is a Danish article.
Married Same goes for this one

Martheron

I don't know all the details as I never had anything happened to me but apparently my brother, uncle, grandmother and grandfather all had experiences in my grandparents home. It's a fairly big house and really old. No clue how old but you can tell it was built a LONG time ago. 3 bedrooms (one for my grandfather, one for my grandmother, and a spare), 2 baths, a huge dining room, huge living room, a small kitchen, and a den. I (and nearly everyone I spoke with about it) absolutely hated walking down the hall into my Grandfather's bedroom. Something just felt really off, I'd say evil or at the very least heavy.

My mother says that my grandfather never really talked about it because my grandmother hated talking about it but one story she remembered was that my grand father was setting in his lazyboy chair in the living room watching TV. The TV was very close to the door way to the dining room which lead to a hall that branched off into the kitchen and two bedrooms (his and a spare). He saw someone at the end of the hall walk into the spare bedroom. He checked it out and there was no one in the room, the windows don't open, and the door is the only way in or out.

My older brother was home from school one day and my grandmother was taking care of him at her house while our mother was at work. We had a little den set up next to the living room that had out game systems and a spare TV set up so if we went over to their house we had something to do. He said that he was laying on the sofa in the den and heard something. He got up and went to take a look and he saw me running to the bathroom (while I was at school) so he went to take a look. like my grandfather before, he opened the door and saw nothing.

Shortly after my grandfather died of cancer my grandmother apparently was down, crying, and just trying to cope without him (which is understandable). She apparently said something along the lines of "why'd you leave me you damn old fool" when his bedroom door, which was opened, slammed shut. After this she left for a few hours.

Lastly, after my grandmother passed about two years ago my uncle inherited the house. He was doing some upkeep to try and get it set up so he could rent it out. He was checking room to room to see what needed to be done and once he got to my grandmother's room and started to check things out, the fan turned on my himself. A little shaken he said "cut it out mom" and the fan stopped. He NOPE.jpg'd out faster then you could believe. my grandmother always said that she'd haunt him after she died and now he's afraid to go over there by himself. He also said that one of the ornamental angel fan chains from her ceiling fan was damaged and in the floor.

My uncle has the home rented out and the family hasn't said anything out of the ordinary has happened yet but as soon as they do and they leave I have a whole crew from my job who want to check out the house and go ghost hunting. Also, my typing this all from work between calls so if something doesn't make any since, sorry!

Teknoman

You know, I'd probably not be creeped out on scared if I was haunted by a close family member. Unknown spirits? Sure, but parents, grandparents, etc. Not really. Would be oddly comforting I'd think.

Zombine

Banned
You know, I'd probably not be creeped out on scared if I was haunted by a close family member. Unknown spirits? Sure, but parents, grandparents, etc. Not really. Would be oddly comforting I'd think.

There's a ghost that climbs into be with me sometimes. It will always be creepy whoever it is.

Lilith

Heh, I've spent a lot of time reading this thread and the wiki links over the last couple nights.
Love this stuff, even though I don't believe it in, it still fascinates me. I'm intrigued by the paranormal, the strange and mysterious stuff that could somehow be possible, not the supernatural that occurs through magic and spirits and shit.

I'm in the mood for watching some X-Files now.

This is now years ago, but I totally agree with you! This is why I like to read nonfiction books about UFOs and such. Although I don't belive in this stuff, it might be possible, not completely, but parts of it, including technical, physical, geological facts.

I myself never had a mysterious encounter, but since early childhood I feel connected to these things. In my youth I dreamt very lively and had some clairvoyant experiences (which were totally random, of course. But always been a "wow" effect :)

Keep this thread going.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hi ParanormalGAF

I don't have any instances, but I do have a question.
Is Chris Bores considered a credible source in the paranormal community? I know most people know him as the Irate Gamer, but lately he's been trying to push how he's all about spirits and communicating with them. Even publishing a (very poorly written) book about it.

Is he credible or is he just as much of a joke there as he is in the gaming community?

A 60-year-old woman who neighbors said often complained of hearing the phantom cries of a baby at night was arrested yesterday after the police discovered her young daughter's body in her Brooklyn apartment, wrapped in plastic and hidden in a footlocker. The woman was charged with murdering the girl, who disappeared 20 years ago.

Officers in the Cold Case Squad made the discovery inside Madelyn Carmichael's Brownsville apartment around 7:40 p.m. Friday, after a man approached them with information about the girl's disappearance, the police said.

The body of Latanisha Carmichael, who appeared to be about 3 at the time of her death, was found in a closet strewn with incense sticks, air fresheners and baking soda boxes. The body had been wrapped in a baby blanket, put inside four plastic bags, wrapped in yellowed newspaper from Nov. 4, 1979, and placed in a footlocker with boxes of mothballs. That locker had been wrapped in cellophane and put inside another plastic-wrapped footlocker.

Latanisha would have turned 23 on Feb. 27

The police said that Latanisha's fate apparently went unnoticed over the years because all but one of Ms. Carmichael's children had long lived elsewhere and she kept to herself.

She had always told relatives that she was too poor to take care of them, the police said, telling anyone inquisitive enough to ask that she had sent Latanisha ''to live down South.''

But, in fact, detectives now believe Ms. Carmichael had killed the child shortly after two of her other children were born. The family was living in another apartment a few blocks away, and detectives think she took the body with her when she moved to the new apartment nearly two decades ago.

Last night, Ms. Carmichael was in police custody, awaiting arraignment on charges of second-degree murder in the death.

Those who know Ms. Carmichael described her as kind and caring, if slightly eccentric. She would often give presents to neighborhood children during Christmas or after they did errands. But she also talked about hearing a wailing baby, even though the building superintendent repeatedly assured her that no children lived anywhere near her apartment.

'She said he had been crying all night, that it was screaming and wouldn't let her sleep,'' said the superintendent, Johana Rivera.

''She would sometimes complain about those noises but I never thought there would be anything like this,'' said Ms. Rivera, the superintendent for 15 years.

While Ms. Carmichael has no criminal record, the police said she has a history of child abuse, and two of her three other children were sent into foster care long ago.

It was one of those children, Andre, who helped authorities discover the body of what he later learned was his twin sister.

Adopted and raised by another family, Andre went to the building at 94-01 Rockaway Parkway three weeks ago looking for his birth mother, a woman he had never met. She was not home at the time, and Ms. Rivera took his phone number and promised to pass it along. ''He said that he had been adopted many years ago and that he just wanted to see her,'' Ms. Rivera said.

During the search for his mother, Andre had also learned about an aunt, who then asked him whether he had looked up his twin sister. Confused, he asked his older sister, who broke down and told him that she believed his twin was dead and that the body might still be in their mother's home.

Andre and his sister then called the police.

Capt. Ray Ferrari, commander of the Cold Case Squad, said he knocked on Ms. Carmichael's door at 7:40 p.m. Friday and explained that he had a warrant to search her apartment. According to Ms. Rivera, who accompanied the police in an effort to keep Ms. Carmichael calm, Ms. Carmichael immediately dashed toward the closet where the body was after police told her about the warrant. She screamed: ''Please don't let them take me. I don't want any more suffering. Please just let me die.''

Captain Ferrari said that as the officers opened the closet, she began to hyperventilate and collapsed. A paramedic administered oxygen and Ms. Carmichael was taken to Kings County Hospital by ambulance.

Behind a closet door that had been bolted shut, the officers found a locker that was wrapped in cellophane. Inside the locker was the meticulously wrapped bundle containing the body.

Detectives believe that Latanisha was probably killed around Nov. 4, 1979, the date of the newspaper used to wrap her body.

Neighbors said Ms. Carmichael's health lately had taken a turn for the worse. She suffered a stroke, had a pacemaker installed and was recently diagnosed with bone cancer.

The building's assistant superintendent, Madeline Ramos, said that Ms. Carmichael often called her son to buy groceries or take out the garbage and that she herself had spent a lot of time in the woman's apartment fixing things.

While the one-bedroom apartment seemed to be in perpetual disarray, with footlockers stacked in every corner and plastic-encased belongings like tennis rackets piled on shelves around every room, she said, there was no hint of the secret the apartment was hiding.

''The place never had any odor and there was nothing that seemed crazy about her,'' Ms. Ramos said. ''I mean, we never suspected anything.''

Leonora Weiner, a spokeswoman for the Administration for Children's Services said she was troubled by the case -- which would have come when the agency was called Special Services for Children, an agency under the Human Resources Administration. ''A.C.S. will continue to investigate to find out what happened 20 years ago,'' she said, noting that if a parent under supervision by her agency ever made statements similar to those given by Ms. Carmichael, ''we would immediately contact the agency in that state and locate that child.''

Ms. Carmichael's husband apparently vanished shortly after Andre and Latinisha were born.

Her fourth and oldest child, Gregory, apparently had remained in her care and still visited until recently, when he went to prison for robbery, the police said.

In recalling the years she has known Ms. Carmichael, Ms. Rivera said yesterday that in retrospect, much of her behavior was odd and inexplicable.

She would rarely let people into her apartment unless Ms. Rivera accompanied them, and put a note on her front door that said: ''Please respect the wishes of this tenant. Please don't pound on the door or knock on this apartment door.'

Ms. Carmichael had once given Ms. Rivera a baby doll she said had belonged to he daughter and made her promise to never give it away, she recalled.

Then there was their last meeting before Ms. Carmichael's arrest, when she came Friday morning to complain about the constant noise of the baby that no one thought existed.

''There was only an old man living above her,'' she said. ''There are no babies on that side of the building.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/07/n...ssing-20-years-is-found-in-mother-s-home.html

b0se

Banned
No one reviving this thread ?

I think ive read it fully by now at least 2 times, love reading stuff like this.

Heres mine:

After my grandfather died of cancer we decided to stay for a while with my grandmother who lives 2km away from our house, she was absolutely devastated ( she had a shock so bad that we had to take her to a hospital, a few years later a doctor would tell us that she has been diagnosed with dementia and a very severe case of Alzheimers, most likely caused by that shock )

Dad was at work, mom and grandma in the kitchen talking and watching tv, I was in the living room with my laptop ( i had a small desk there where I would do homework, play games ) The living room still had this very old wooden bed with metal springs, whenever you would sit on it, it would make a very distinct and specific sound as the springs got under pressure ( that was the bed where my grandfather used to sleep in )

Heres where it gets creepy, as I was playing, I heard someone opening the door and after that I heard that distinct sound made by the bed when you would sit on it ( my mind wasnt playing tricks on me ) I didn't turn around because I knew my grandmother was still recovering from that shock and she used to go to bed early from time to time, so I asked : "You're going to bed so early ?" "Everything ok?"

Few dozen seconds passed and that's when I turned around, nobody was there, door was open ( I swear it was closed ) i nearly passed out when I realized, I got the fuck out of there and rushed to the kitchen, asked my mother and grandmother if they've been to the living room in the past 30-40 minutes, they replied with a big NO.

I never stayed in that room alone ever since, still bugs me to this day how this was possible.

I love this topic too, and if anyone has anything to add I would greatly appreciate it! Enjoy giving it a read-through when I'm in a mood for something creepy.

Top Bottom