• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimea's new attorney general is Kawaii to the max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Honestly, given Putin's PR photoshoots, I think it's pretty likely Russia doesn't mind this at all, and in fact it's probably part of their cynical and exploitative calculations. After all, the people calling her a "kawaii waifu" aren't paying any attention to the propagandistic nonsense coming from her mouth.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right after I read this thread I go into steam and find out there's a Civ 5 mod for her lol.

I thought you were joking..

0GtySRb.jpg

lolol

Oh....my...god...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I thought you were joking..

0GtySRb.jpg

lolol

Adds the overpowered Empire of Crimeaand its supreme ruler Serene Empress Natalia I. Poklonskaya the Beautiful to the game.

TRAIT
Increased rate of Great People, especially Great Generals, since people from all over the world fall in love with Natalia and join her cause!

UNIQUE UNIT
Defender of Natalia, a slightly improved Great General. As a special little feature, these Defenders are members of the Facebook fan group of Natalia!

UNIQUE BUILDING
Natalia Statue. Instead of building a courthouse, Natalia just builds a statue of herself in occupied cites. Everyone immediately falls in love with her!

lol

Montezuma and Gandhi would still nuke her though.

Mononoke

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why it's misogynistic to recognize that someone is incredibly attractive? It doesn't take away from the fact that she has a very important political job in her homeland.

I just don't see how this is degrading whatsoever.

The argument would be that she's being defined by her looks rather than her ability/qualifications to do her job. That instead of talking about that, people are focusing and obsessing over her looks.

Of course this is a message board and people share thoughts opinions. Context is obviously important. If the media was covering her and only focused on her looks that's certainly misogynistic. Another thing to consider is whether a male politician or ambassador would get the same kind of focus if he was good looking.

Zeppeli

Banned
The argument would be that she's being defined by her looks rather than her ability/qualifications to do her job. That instead of talking about that, people are focusing and obsessing over her looks.

Of course this is a message board and people share thoughts opinions. Context is obviously important. If the media was covering her and only focused on her looks that's certainly misogynistic. Another thing to consider is that. Male politicians rarely get this kind of focus on their looks.

Prior to the most recent events a lot of the focus on Putin in the internet were of his "manly shirtless expeditions".

I'm confused. She was appointed prior to the referendum? Was her office created last week and they filled it before the vote?

0RtxOfX.png

This reply was weird. Title or no title this is a familiar way of reassuring the media, and not in a good way.

Jay Sosa

Lets be honest. If your country was invaded by forces she was in charge of it would considerably soften the blow.

You just can't stay mad.

so true

Can someone please explain to me why it's misogynistic to recognize that someone is incredibly attractive? It doesn't take away from the fact that she has a very important political job in her homeland.

I just don't see how this is degrading whatsoever.

Just ignore them like most of us do.

Zabka

Of course this is a message board and people share thoughts opinions. Context is obviously important. If the media was covering her and only focused on her looks that's certainly misogynistic. Another thing to consider is that. Male politicians rarely get this kind of focus on their looks.

I don't think it's rare at all. Male politicians like Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney are pushed because of their looks while people like Boehner and Mcconnell are consistently the butt of jokes for their tanned/turtley appearance.

Mononoke

Banned
Prior to the most recent events a lot of the focus on Putin in the internet were of his "manly shirtless expeditions".

Fair enough. I'm not taking any sides on this (I'm a coward). Just stating what I think the argument would be from those that see it as misogynistic. Although wasn't Putin's PR stuff, sort of propaganda he pushed? I don't know if I would say those two are 1:1.

I mean, was the average person obsessing over his looks, or was his PR people pushing it to make him look like a great leader.

I don't think it's rare at all. Male politicians like Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney are pushed because of their looks while people like Boehner and Mcconnell are consistently the butt of jokes for their tanned/turtley appearance.

Yeah I remember the Paul Ryan stuff. Pretty cringe worthy.

ElRenoRaven

Of course this is a message board and people share thoughts opinions. Context is obviously important. If the media was covering her and only focused on her looks that's certainly misogynistic. Another thing to consider is whether a male politician or ambassador would get the same kind of focus if he was good looking.

You know if she was a guy and I was either gay or a woman I'd have no problem going man he's hot. Turn about is fair play and shit if someone's hot then their hot. Why act like it's a a bad thing to hide away? God forbid you think someone is hot. It's a damn crime now to some people apparently.

Zeppeli

Banned
Fair enough. I'm not taking any sides on this (I'm a coward). Just stating what I think the argument would be from those that see it as misogynistic. Although wasn't Putin's PR stuff, sort of propaganda he pushed? I don't know if I would say those two are 1:1.

I mean, was the average person obsessing over his looks, or was his PR people pushing it to make him look like a great leader.

The images went viral because people thought it was funny and interesting that a politician was such a fit "manly man". The PR people weren't pushing topless photos of Putin on a horse, hunting, or on a fishing trip to social media sites.

Mononoke

Banned
You know if she was a guy and I was either gay or a woman I'd have no problem going man he's hot. Turn about is fair play and shit if someone's hot then their hot. Why act like it's a a bad thing to hide away. God forbid you think someone is hot. It's a damn crime now to some people apparently.

I have no issue with people thinking other people are attractive and expressing that opinion. Which is why I think context is important here. If people are just talking about how they find someone attractive, that's totally fine. But if like, a co-worker, or the media treated her differently, or focused on her good looks rather than her ability to do her job, then that's obviously a problem. So I agree with you guys.

Looks aside how old is she? She looks only to be in her 20s, which would seem pretty young to be an AG of a country.

That's because Crimea only exists as a country for as long as it takes to finalize the paperwork for it's annexation by Russia. Most of it's government doesn't actually have to do anything.

Jay Sosa

I dont know that still seems young, assuming it works the same as the US:

22- graduate undergrad/uni
25/26 - graduate law school

only 6 years of experience before AG of a country? hmm...

lol do you really think she has ANY kind of say in anything? She's just a pretty face to put on TV.

ElRenoRaven

I have no issue with people thinking other people are attractive and expressing that opinion. Which is why I think context is important here. If people are just talking about how they find someone attractive, that's totally fine. But if like, a co-worker, or the media treated her differently, or focused on her good looks rather than her ability to do her job, then that's obviously a problem. So I agree with you guys.

Now on that I agree. But you get some people that are actually implying people are misogynistic for simply going man she's hot. It's nuts.

Pretty degrading stuff. A young woman in a position of power, and the fedoras of Japan get together and make 'cute children cartoons' parodies of her.

Terrible.

how is it degrading? Are women not allowed to be seen as attractive now? She;s young and cute. usually these people are old and not so cute. People do it to young attractive men getting spots of power all the time.

Man, I feel sorry for her. Not because of the comments on her appearance, no, but I saw the video and she looked like she was angry or scared as hell. Some parts that showed me this are when she says:

For some reason today I was appointed attorney of Crimea Republic. - long, looong pause. fingers twitching - and I'm grateful - another pause, she catches her breath - to the council of Crimea Republic for this. And I will fufill my duty - another pause, fingers twitch again - according to the laws of Ukraine

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Seems like the shoe fits.

Misogyny may manifest as objectification, but that doesn't mean that all objectification is misogyny. In fact, benevolent sexism or putting women on pedestals is objectification without animosity. It's still misguided and problematic, but it's not misogyny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom