• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crisis core: good game, awful story.

PaulBizkit

I think is a great game all around. Genesis sucks but the rest is great. 10/10 would play again.

The reason i bought a PSP back in 2008.

Haunted

The gameplay was ok, graphics were good for a PSP game. Story, dialogue and characters were absolute trash.

funkypie

Banned
when I said good game, I meant overall, I never thought the combat was something special.

I did enjoy the anime Last order which shows zack escape and die which stays faithful to FF7.

Karsha

Ugh...Sephiroth never loses to Genesis, in fact it shows that even empowered Genesis was no match for him...
And I don't mind Genesis, his arch was nice, he wasn't a pure villain so the poem stuff and his emo character makes sense.

dickroach

agree 100%.

I remembered having a ton of fun with the game when I played it, but after seeing all the Genesis posts in the remake thread I was cringing.

Trago

I didn't like the story as much as I wanted to. I did enjoy Sephiroth's backstory up until he went crazy and was all "fuck the humans". That shit wasn't believable lol.

Also, Cloud's amnesia at the end felt like total bullshit.

There realy wasnt much to the story. Definitely lacked the scale of even other spin-offs.

That being said, the ending is masterfully handled from the story and gameplay integration to the overall presentation.

Also, Cissnei as a character wasnt very intersting, but the mystery surrounding her makes me want to know more, like what the hell happened to her after CC.

ryseing

Gameplay was good. Square did a great job in general with their ARPG battle systems on PSP, including Dissidia.

Story I couldn't have cared less about.

Think I'm gonna dig out my PSP.

Zack pretty much is FFVII 's smarter, cooler, more badass Forrest Gump, it has to be said.

That is a very good way of putting it, and I'm going to use it in the future.

Zack is great as a side character and mentor/brother to Cloud. He should stay that way. CC made him way more important than he really is. His VII appearance is still the best one. Capable, important, but ultimately just a cog in the greater workings of Cloud's backstory.

As he should be.

Also agree.

Zack took way too long to die. Him just getting shot dead was far better.
No, it wasn't. What Soldier 1st Class dies by a simple grunt? The gap between the truck ride and the grunt finishing him off is filled out better in CC and makes way more sense.

Like it or not Zack is a huge part of FFVII. He is the motivation for everything Cloud became.

I'm in the midst of a replay and hints drop about Zack thoughout the story. He should be resurrected, especially since he has J-cells in him.

Hated the game. Just did nothing for me, and all the over-explanation of FF7's plot just felt unnecessary. FF7 was fine as it's own game, it didn't need a series of other games to expand the story.

Aexact

Man, comparatively, doing meaningless, mundane errands with Aerith in the slums was a Crisis Core high point.

But I probably shouldn't have done all the sidequests, probably got sick of the battle system from that.

Wazzy

Banned
I like Zack but he's far more interesting with how he's presented in VII than he is in CC. It was ridiculous how they forced iconic scenes of something Cloud did as something Zack did first.

Also Cissnei was the best part about CC and her relationship with Zack was better than the poorly done one with Aeris.

I like Zack but he's far more interesting with how he's presented in VII than he is in CC. It was ridiculous how they forced iconic scenes of something Cloud did as something Zack did first.

Also Cissnei was the best part about CC and her relationship with Zack was better than the poorly done one with Aeris.
Cissnei was awesome. Its the one Crisis Core thing I'd most welcome being revisited with Remake.

Arkeband

Banned
with the announcement of FF7 remake, it got me thinking of the whole compilation. As many have said in the thread, I hope they leave this shit out of the remake.

crisis core's story was awful, especially the retcon of sephiroth losing the plot at the reactor by genesis's poems.

It did make me appreciate zack more but the game did a disservice to FF7 imo.

I still think shinra were stupid in both games for sending sephiroth to that reactor when all the evidence was for all to see.

Never played dirge so can't comment on that.

Dirge was really odd. But they introduced another nonsensical villain, Weiss the Immaculate, that still persists in the expanded FF7 universe. He's basically Broly.

They also made Vincent nonsensically powerful, which makes me wonder why he didn't just save the world in FF7 himself if he was so great.

Zack is great as a side character and mentor/brother to Cloud. He should stay that way. CC made him way more important than he really is. His VII appearance is still the best one. Capable, important, but ultimately just a cog in the greater workings of Cloud's backstory.

As he should be.

I really like Crisis Core. Not too long ago I watched a YouTube compilation of all cutscenes, put together like a movie. It was fantastic. Yes there are things that could have been better for sure, but my favorite parts were seeing Sephiroth before the incident, Cloud as a cadet, more of the inner workings of Shinra. I loved seeing more of Zack.

The game has a distinct feeling to it and I wish there were actually more games in this specific period of time. I love FFVII and am stoked to play the remake because I think that will scratch the itch nicely. I am of the opinion that I wished Advent Children was actually more slower paced and story centric. I'd probably watch it more frequently if it were.

Mendax

I am of the opinion that I wished Advent Children was actually more slower paced and story centric. I'd probably watch it more frequently if it were.

have you ever seen the advent children: complete version of the movie? it has almost 30 minutes extra content and most of it is story. really cool.

Razmos

Someone else who appreciates The Dark Id!

such an amazing walkthrough, just like his Drakengard ones.
63d158c6654679ccdbb7bef88b325989.png

Do people really hate Genesis that much? I hated the poem reading, but the character was fine. As fine as any of the other new characters in the FF7 compilation.

Not to mention that he's one of the better designed Nomura characters from that time.
Early 2000s Nomura character design is the stuff of nightmares. So goddamn bad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do people really hate Genesis that much? I hated the poem reading, but the character was fine. As fine as any of the other new characters in the FF7 compilation.

Not to mention that he's one of the better designed Nomura characters from that time.
Early 2000s Nomura character design is the stuff of nightmares. So goddamn bad.

therein lies the problem

I don't get how you guys can say CC made him more important than he was in FFVII when CC was a prequel; he always was that important.
End of the day, Cloud just inherited Zack's life, which is why he is so morose during AC. In FFVII endgame, he has a purpose after his reawakening: Defeat Seph, save the planet. But once everything is settled, no more battles to fight and he can actually contemplate his life, he comes to this realization as well. His AC depression stems from knowing the better man died that day.

Maybe you guys should start a replay of FFVII to see how integral to the plot Zack really was. He is mentioned/referred to everywhere, mostly not by name.

Magnus

A terrible addition to the VII compilation, just like every other part of the compilation. At least Advent Children was entertaining to watch for its action, if nothing else.

The slot machine crap in battles, the repetitive music, the bland environments, the shoe-horned-in characters, the awful drivel with Genesis, etc.

Best forgotten. Never understood the hype.

wmlk

I loved how the Turks were expanded upon.

I really need to play Before Crisis. Cissnei and Zack's interactions in CC were great.

Reset

I liked CC, but yeah I got sick Genesis by half way through the game. I wish he would have just stopped talking, maybe then he'd be more likable. <_<

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I liked everything about this game...

Genesis was neat. He was strong, but not a cool, silent type like Seph or a badass like Angeal. He had this visible weakness to him, both emotionally and then physically as he begins to degrade. His LOVELESS fixation wasn't bad, not the most interesting thing in the world, but it did give a one-off poster from FFVII a bit more relevance, which was cool. I liked his color scheme - he seemed to have the "red mage" motif of the FFVII world, and his reliance on magic along with swordplay played off of that a bit.

Angeal was the real deal, though. His story arc was too hastily written - we didn't get to see him and Zack establish a relationship as much as we were simply told that their relationship existed - but he had an atypical design for a Final Fantasy protagonist, a cool fighting style, and gave some extra meaning to the Buster Sword
(even if Zack would disrespect his wishes to never use it)
I also liked how he visibly struggled with the fact that he was a Shin-ra experiment, but didn't go off the walls insane like his friends. Even when he fights Zack, you get the sense that he's a stand-up guy, and it's nice to see at least one character come out of Shin-ra's genetic playground as a good person

The way the DMW was used at the end was genius.

MogCakes

Maybe you guys should start a replay of FFVII to see how integral to the plot Zack really was. He is mentioned/referred to everywhere, mostly not by name.

If you showed me a list I'd believe you. AFAIK Aerith alludes to him and he's mentioned by Cloud and expanded upon in the Nibelheim flashback where it shows how his actions set up cloud's position at the beginning of the game, and that's the end of it. He's integral to the plot insofar as he sets up Cloud at the beginning of the game, but he is nowhere near the Jesus figure that CC made him out to be. The Turks in VII certainly don't mention him nor seem to recall him. Or Cloud. It was clear to me at least that Zack's importance was bloated in CC. In the original VII, he was absolutely not a focus of the main plot. This is hammered home by his flashbacks with Cloud being entirely optional in the Shinra Mansion and easily missed. In the end you as the player don't need to know how he set up things to understand the main story in VII.

EDIT: Cloud taking on his persona is a big part of his character development, but Cloud explicitly states that he was impersonating him after he pulls himself back together and that's the end of Zack at that point in the plot. Integral to Cloud, absolutely, but integral to the plot with Sephiroth, the Ancients, the Weapons, and ShinRa as a corporation and their importance to the game's narrative? Not so much.

Syril

If you showed me a list I'd believe you. AFAIK Aerith alludes to him and he's mentioned by Cloud and expanded upon in the Nibelheim flashback where it shows how his actions set up cloud's position at the beginning of the game, and that's the end of it. He's integral to the plot insofar as he sets up Cloud at the beginning of the game, but he is nowhere near the Jesus figure that CC made him out to be. The Turks in VII certainly don't mention him nor seem to recall him. Or Cloud. It was clear to me at least that Zack's importance was bloated in CC. In the original VII, he was absolutely not a focus of the main plot. This is hammered home by his flashbacks with Cloud being entirely optional in the Shinra Mansion and easily missed. In the end you as the player don't need to know how he set up things to understand the main story in VII.

EDIT: Cloud taking on his persona is a big part of his character development, but Cloud explicitly states that he was impersonating him after he pulls himself back together and that's the end of Zack at that point in the plot. Integral to Cloud, absolutely, but integral to the plot with Sephiroth, the Ancients, the Weapons, and ShinRa as a corporation and their importance to the game's narrative? Not so much.
I think there was also a scene where you could meet his parents if I'm remembering right? But overall there were more hints just to Cloud's stated backstory being false than there were to Zack specifically.

CC is great, Angeal was great, the gameplay was great, the ending was perfect, Zack is the best protagonist SE has done in a while.

Only genesis ruins it a little.

Wazzy

Banned
Zack (in CC)is a lot like snow from FFXIII.Obnoxious character.

I like a lot of aspects of CC Zack(sorry everyone, his younger design is better than long hair even if long hair is the original) but this push of changing him into this huge hero who dies such an epic death really ruins the brutalness of VII's Zack impact. He's someone who was optimistic and confident. He has hopes to escape with Cloud and hide from Shinra and all of that ends with a couple bullets from some grunts.

I mean I don't think Zack was ever implied to be an extremely strong character. It's his personality that makes him stand out.

Tedious, dull game mixed with an awful AND unnecessary story. Crisis Core, like all the rest of the Compilation entries, deserves to be forgotten.

kswiston

I didn't mind the story once we got to the stuff in Nibelheim that was actually covered in the original FF7. That stuff was pretty cool as a fan of the original game. I agree that the story leading up to that was pretty mediocre though.

WolvenOne

I think what the OP is really trying to say, is: "Guys, I'm worried, what if the story of the remake sucks!? D:"

A legit concern, but I'm not too worried. While they aren't committed to keeping everything exactly like FF7-Classic, it's highly likely that all the major plot pieces will remain in place.

Oh sure, they might mention some characters from the compilation, supporting cast members might get more scenes or tweaked interactions, and some of the events that occur between major plot pieces might occur slightly differently, but as long as they're constrained by the main storyline and narrative of the original, there's only so much they can deviate.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the battle system. Nomura has a history of favoring action-oriented gameplay, and I don't think that would work as well with such a large cast, or with the materia system. Personally I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see a battle system that combines 7's and 10's. Specifically with the depth of the materia system and the speed of 10's turn system.

That might be pie in the sky though.

Top Bottom