• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion Collection Blu-ray titles are going "bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona7

Banned
This is the first I've heard of Blu Rays rotting in general. Should I be concerned about my physical collection moving forward?

Physical media always has that possibility.

I've had issues with criterion DVDs and bl,urays over the years, I don't know what kind of shoddy manufacturing process they are using.

This is the first I've heard of Blu Rays rotting in general. Should I be concerned about my physical collection moving forward?
No, I have no other blu-rays that are browning and I started buying them when the PS3 came out. Even in this case it's an isolated time period.

Physical media always has that possibility.

I've had issues with criterion DVDs and bl,urays over the years, I don't know what kind of shoddy manufacturing process they are using.
How is that? I have around 300 Criterions and have only run into issues with the set being discussed here. The exception is a few years ago there was a brief period where the plastic wrapping would stick to the cases.

Downhome

What year did Criterion release Gojira into their collection? That's the only Criterion blu-ray I own right now unfortunately.

January 24, 2012

That one shouldn't be affected, yet.

It shouldn't ever be affected I hope. I hope they solved this problem back in 2010.

Timeless

Nothing stopping you from paying $40 for a Blu-Ray drive on your PC and backing up your personal collection for other titles that still work.

dekline

Nothing stopping you from paying $40 for a Blu-Ray drive on your PC and backing up your personal collection for other titles that still work.

Lol $40 is about what I paid for each of my criterion discs. But I agree, time for me to invest in a BR drive for my pc. I honestly don't know why I haven't grabbed one yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How many GB per bluray, usually? And what's the lowest kind of compression to where the difference between the disc and the file is negligible?

I don't want to hear this. I just ordered $150 worth of Criterion Blu-Rays.
It's only the first print versions and four years have passed, you should be fine.

How many GB per bluray, usually? And what's the lowest kind of compression to where the difference between the disc and the file is negligible?
Isn't really a usually, varies dramatically between films depending on length and how many extras are packed on the disk. Seven Samurai uses 49(extras on second blu-ray), but it's four hours long. Most fall in the 30-40s. MakeMkv isn't perfect though, it doesn't let you 1:1 match so it always compresses a bit. I don't compress my rips, so I wouldn't know what the sweet spot for downsizing is.

Edit: I obviously messed something up with MKV on my end, rips were coming out 2-5 gbs less than the main video file on the blu-ray(double checked with dvdbeaver too). Thanks for the responses!

Downhome

My Rise of the Planet of the Apes went bad as well. I had the original release of it and kept it for years before finally watching it so I could go see the sequel earlier this year and it also wouldn't load in any of my players, just like these. It doesn't have the bronzing, but instead it just has weird looking "waves" all over the bottom of it.

robotrock

Banned
My Rise of the Planet of the Apes went bad as well. I had the original release of it and kept it for years before finally watching it so I could go see the sequel earlier this year and it also wouldn't load in any of my players, just like these. It doesn't have the bronzing, but instead it just has weird looking "waves" all over the bottom of it.

My Uncharted 2 and MGS4 disc has had these waves forever :(

DOWN

Banned
Almost bought myself Last Year at Marienbad, but then I realized I want digital everything and don't really find mass made packaging that great. Sorry to see your collection suffer though since it's clear you care for their releases.

I need me Last Year at Marienbad in digital since it's out of print on Blu-Ray anyway.

DJ_Lae

Damn, going to have to check some of my blu-rays now.

I had a couple of HD-DVDs go bad from something similar, although it wasn't as visible on the disc itself. I remember going to rip myself Fast Times for some Phoebe Cates boobs, and the disc was completely unreadable. Ruined my night.

Almost bought myself Last Year at Marienbad, but then I realized I want digital everything and don't really find mass made packaging that great. Sorry to see your collection suffer though since it's clear you care for their releases.
Criterion doesn't use standard blu-ray cases, double wide and good quality plastic. Marienbad came in a completely custom case though. They offered a replacement plastic case though which I have.

D: This is terrifying and I don't even own any Criterion Collection discs. Even if it is isolated, this shows that it can happen.

Downhome

By the way, you can't rely on just the visuals of the bronzing to tell you if your discs are bad or not. There are reports that a number of people have bad discs and they look perfectly normal. It's only when they go to test them out do they discover that they either don't load at all, or they skip and stop playing.

The only DVD I've ever had suffer from disc rot was Tomorrow Never Dies.

Same here, actually. It's the only thing I've ever owned on a disc that did that, and I own stuff that's over 20 years old. I guess the movie had bad printings or something...

teepo

i can at least confirm Walkabout, M and Pierrot Le Fou discs resemble the images from the OP and it seems like every disc i own from 2009 and 2010 is slightly browning, especially when i compare the discs to later releases.

Downhome

Here is a list put together by someone of all of the discs released during the window in question. This does not mean that all of these are bad, or other titles couldn't also be affected. It's just for reference...

Discs already noted to have issues are starred with an asterisk (*):

*Stagecoach (The Criterion Collection) Criterion May 25, 2010

By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volumes One and Two (The Criterion Collection) Criterion May 25, 2010

*Walkabout (The Criterion Collection) Criterion May 18, 2010

*M (The Criterion Collection) Criterion May 11, 2010

*Ride with the Devil (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Apr 27, 2010

Vivre Sa Vie (My Life to Live / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Apr 20, 2010

*Summer Hours (L'heure d'été / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Apr 20, 2010

*Days of Heaven (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Mar 23, 2010

Yojimbo (Yôjinbô / 用心棒 | The Criterion Collection) Criterion Mar 23, 2010

Sanjuro (Tsubaki Sanjûrô / 椿三十郎 | The Criterion Collection) Criterion Mar 23, 2010

Yojimbo / Sanjuro (用心棒 / 椿三十郎 | The Criterion Collection) Criterion Mar 23, 2010

Bigger Than Life (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Mar 23, 2010

Lola Montès (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Feb 16, 2010

Hunger (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Feb 16, 2010

Revanche (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Feb 16, 2010

*Paris, Texas (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Jan 26, 2010

Che (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Jan 19, 2010

(Federico Fellini's 8½ / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Jan 12, 2010

A Christmas Tale (Un conte de Noël / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Dec 01, 2009

Gimme Shelter (The Rolling Stones / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Dec 01, 2009

Gomorrah (The Criterion Collection / Gomorra) Criterion Nov 24, 2009

*Howards End (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Nov 03, 2009

Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin / The Criterion Collection) Criterion Nov 03, 2009

*Monsoon Wedding (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Oct 20, 2009

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Sep 22, 2009

*Pierrot le fou (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Sep 22, 2009

Monterey Pop (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Sep 22, 2009

Jimi Plays Monterey & Shake! Otis at Monterey (The Criterion Collection) Criterion Sep 22, 2009

My copies of Gomorrah, Pierrot Le Fou, Howard's End, and Stagecoach all have no issues and seem to play fine. The other bolded entries do have issues though. Ride with the Devil is browning but works. I have every other film listed except for Summer Hours/Lola Montes/A Christmas Tale and they all look like normal blu-rays. Not going to play each one though :p

Dude if my 8½ goes bad I will cry for days.
You can put your veil down to check the post and get your replacement copy by then :p

DOWN

Banned
Criterion doesn't use standard blu-ray cases, double wide and good quality plastic. Marienbad came in a completely custom case though. They offered a replacement plastic case though which I have.
EDIT: I am so sorry I just typed forever and it isn't even that relevant.

Yeah, I've handled their cases. Seemed just like another print of another copy with no actual history in anything but the film and supplements you watch. Same reason I don't buy game CEs anymore. The swag is just made up stuff for a home media release. I just would rather have my shelves full of decoration or swag that has real history, like an old map of somewhere, rather than a map printed for a special edition that doesn't do anything for me.

I guess I'm missing the fan gene that makes me think merchandising is worth anything for me. Like it's just so much made in China stuff with no history or real world relevance and value. It's just swag somebody ordered from China.

Did the director have these DVD postcards in his house, or did he have postcards from a street artist in Ibiza? That's the kind of thing I think when I see people buy a special addition with special photo cards in it.

If you are that excited by it all, enjoy. I just don't want the fandom gear. I want the real deal. I don't want James Bond keychains, I want a nice lamp like his but no wild fan chase to get the exact model and I want a photo I shot of New York on my wall, not a concept art lithograph from Mass Effect, and I want a nice phone on my shelf and maybe a few books that have sentimental value because someone gave them to me so I don't need them digital only. Idk. I guess I just picture a place that isn't a merchandised tribute to other people's places. I want my own place that's as real and worthwhile as they look in those movies that get people to be a fan in the first place.

Wouldn't there be something strange about James Bond's house having a bunch of N7 Mass Effect branding around it if we found out he liked it? A poster, hoodie, statuette. It doesn't feel like the quality, usefulness, or design I imagine in an adult home. So while I don't think it's a big deal to have a shelf of Criterion special packaging as they don't change a display area much, I don't care for anything but the luxury of the media I love and the way we will inevitably get most of it, which is digital and convenient. So I don't care for adding physical media to my space anymore.

bunch of nonsense.
What in the hell are you talking about? Their cases are just that, double sided so that when you open the case you see an image but there are no frills. Every one of their releases has a booklet that has interviews, essays, and so on relevant to the film. There is no frilly merchandise or anything of the sort. When I say Marienbad had a "custom" case all I mean is that it didn't use their standard model. It had a sleeve instead of being plastic or just cardboard.
ibucks2rnq2Yai.jpg

Downhome

Ok, it's official, my Gomorrah is screwed up as well!!!

The disc doesn't have any visual flaws at all, no bronzing whatsoever. The disc also loads just fine, the menu comes up, and it starts to play. I tested it by letting it play for a few minutes, and when I had no issues I hit the fast forward button for a while. I watched closely and noticed it would freeze for a couple of seconds and my machine would make a weird noise. I would rewind back, play around where it would stall, and sure enough it freezes and skips that entire section. This seems to be happening at a number of times on my disc.

I'm not going to go through each one minute by minute just to test them, but if it happens a single time on any of the discs in this time period then I'm requesting a replacement for them.

This is flat out ridiculous, ugh.

Why does this have to be Criterion? Out of all of the companies this could happen to, why them?

WOW, this is shameful. Is Blu more susceptible to this? I never expected optical media to last forever but 5 damn years is unacceptable.

RedTurbo

Banned
Not sure if this is just because of bad pressings or because BDs are just as susceptible to disc rot as prior disc formats. I'd be really pissed if this was happening to me.

Isn't really a usually, varies dramatically between films depending on length and how many extras are packed on the disk. Seven Samurai uses 49(extras on second blu-ray), but it's four hours long. Most fall in the 30-40s. MakeMkv isn't perfect though, it doesn't let you 1:1 match so it always compresses a bit. I don't compress my rips, so I wouldn't know what the sweet spot for downsizing is.
Umm...not to derail, but MakeMKV does make a 1:1 copy of the video and lossy audio like AC3 and DTS. It converts lossless HD audio to FLAC but that's honestly about it.

DJ_Lae

WOW, this is shameful. Is Blu more susceptible to this? I never expected optical media to last forever but 5 damn years is unacceptable.

I want to say it's probably less likely to rot given the anti-scratch layer and construction of the disc, but I'm not sure. I'd chalk it up to a poor production run for the discs in question, there must have been some screw-up when they were pressed.

No, Criterion has older releases that have no issues and I have many of the first blu-rays from 2006 that are fine. Such things happen, and they will be taken care of. I posted a link early on in the forum that showed these disks were displaying these signs within weeks of release. Bad batches all around.

If nothing else realize for the most part these aren't films you've touched since first buying them so the week or two it'll take for them to detail a replacement program doesn't really matter :p

Umm...not to derail, but MakeMKV does make a 1:1 copy of the video and lossy audio like AC3 and DTS. It converts lossless HD audio to FLAC but that's honestly about it.
Maybe I've been doing something wrong? It always seems to chop off a few GBs for me.

DOWN

Banned
What in the hell are you talking about? Their cases are just that, double sided so that when you open the case you see an image but there are no frills. Every one of their releases has a booklet that has interviews, essays, and so on relevant to the film. There is no frilly merchandise or anything of the sort. When I say Marienbad had a "custom" case all I mean is that it didn't use their standard model. It had a sleeve instead of being plastic or just cardboard.

Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe you didn't read it all. I said Criterion packaging isn't a big deal for displaying, but I was simply saying I have no interest in having packaging around anymore when it isn't necessary in many cases and won't be standard eventually anyway. I further elaborated that it is a similar feeling for me when it goes to the fan extreme that prompts a lot of people to buy special packaging and merchandise. I don't want a Skyrim Dragon statue, and I guess I don't care about cases for movies anymore. I am not one of those people who says they like buying physical or want to see their collection.

Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe you didn't read it all. I said Criterion packaging isn't a big deal for displaying, but I was simply saying I have no interest in having packaging around anymore when it isn't necessary in many cases and won't be standard eventually anyway. I further elaborated that it is a similar feeling for me when it goes to the fan extreme that prompts a lot of people to buy special packaging and merchandise. I don't want a Skyrim Dragon statue, and I guess I don't care about cases for movies anymore. I am not one of those people who says they like buying physical or want to see their collection.
It's just a really bizarre thing to post. Going into a long rant about fandom and silly special editions(which is what 90% of the post is) has no baring. Criterion's packaging is study and provides context for the films in question with thick booklets filled with essays and other things. Such things are available online if you want them, but so are most things like books.

At the end of the day what isn't digital or readily out there outside of pirating the contents of the disk is the quality of a good blu-ray.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My Pierrot Le Fou still plays and looks fine, I guess I dodged a bullet seeing as it's out of print.

Goody

Yup, my copy of Walkabout is bad. My Paris, Texas is looking a little funky, too, so I'll check it out on a player tomorrow. Sad to see.

I didn't think I'd ever see such a bad case of this personally. When I got back into game collecting, I looked into a lot of issues of disc rot, and found it mostly to be isolated cases like this and the PDO manufactured CDs. A professionally pressed, well-kept disc should last a few lifetimes.

Hopefully Criterion will handle the issue, but I'm not too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom