• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat soul vs soulles Resident Evil 4 Remake

ParaSeoul

Meanwhile TerakJK is making videos of him doing mercs mode with no damage or S++.

Crowbcat fell off.
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

And what does that have to do with the comparison between the original and remake?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
by the way. I HIGHLY recommend replaying re4 with HD project and re4_tweaks (included mod with textures).
It finally controls as it always should. Moving mouse turns you around when you walk and turns camera around leon when stationary. Just like remakes.
I only enabled "toggle sprint" like in remake and enabled old style "detach aim form camera" so the lasersight have some movement before you turn like in original. Plays so smooth.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I somewhat agree. It's a faithful remake but the original game had such a distinct identity, and sound design was such a huge part of that identity that it was practically impossible to replicate it without straight up reusing the same exact assets. Which, ironically, is what Capcom kinda provides as an option in the form of an original audio soundtrack. ONLY TOO BAD THAT IT'S A PAID FUCKING DLC!

Vick

by the way. I HIGHLY recommend replaying re4 with HD project and re4_tweaks (included mod with textures).
It finally controls as it always should. Moving mouse turns you around when you walk and turns camera around leon when stationary. Just like remakes.
I only enabled "toggle sprint" like in remake and enabled old style "detach aim form camera" so the lasersight have some movement before you turn like in original. Plays so smooth.
Tank controls for life.. but yes, play with HD Project.

fart town usa

Gold Member
For anyone getting big mad over the idea that some people may prefer the 4make over the OG or the fact that the game was remade at all...

Just look at the original 1996 release of Resident Evil. The vast majority of the gaming community act like REmake rendered the OG obsolete and that the 1996 release is an unplayable mess. Not only that, Capcom doesn't even offer the original version in any official capacity. Director's Cut finally just got released with the OG OST but Director's Cut is nerfed compared to the original RE release and has mandatory auto-aim. The fans of OG RE just accept it cause we know why we like it and we also enjoy REmake.

My point is, OG RE4 is available on all modern and legacy platforms. You can play it to your hearts content. Getting butt hurt over a remake is just beyond dumb. You have nothing to be upset about. Chill out and enjoy the OG RE4, it's not ever going to be lost to time like OG RE 1996.
Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

Hugare

I ... kinda agree in some places, honestly

Technicaly, the game looks great. But something was lost in translation.

Everything is so, so dark, coupled with that antialising that makes everything a little blurry.

Same thing with Cyberpunk Overdrive mode: everything looks realisticaly lit, but it looks so dark and lacking "nuance".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One thing. Music does suck and does not stand out in remake. And in previous remakes too. They need to be bolder with it.

On the positive side, Remake got the good ashley! (my horny shots). I love the dlc costumes too.
llKdkrz.jpg

zZVkS80.png
2mG3j1c.jpg

ParaSeoul

For anyone getting big mad over the idea that some people may prefer the 4make over the OG or the fact that the game was remade at all...

Just look at the original 1996 release of Resident Evil. The vast majority of the gaming community act like REmake rendered the OG obsolete and that the 1996 release is an unplayable mess. Not only that, Capcom doesn't even offer the original version in any official capacity. Director's Cut finally just got released with the OG OST but Director's Cut is nerfed compared to the original RE release and has mandatory auto-aim. The fans of OG RE just accept it cause we know why we like it and we also enjoy REmake.

My point is, OG RE4 is available on all modern and legacy platforms. You can play it to your hearts content. Getting butt hurt over a remake is just beyond dumb. You have nothing to be upset about. Chill out and enjoy the OG RE4, it's not ever going to be lost to time like OG RE 1996.
Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC
I know a few people who do prefer that version of re1. I also used to think the remake made it obsolete but I changed my mind on that. The difference is re4 remake is the remake that's the most similar to its original game but is a lesser version of it in many ways.

ParaSeoul

One thing. Music does suck and does not stand out in remake. And in previous remakes too. They need to be bolder with it.

On the positive side, Remake got the good ashley! (my horny shots). I love the dlc costumes too.
llKdkrz.jpg

zZVkS80.png
2mG3j1c.jpg
The main cast definitely look good,the villain changes are questionable though. Salazar looks like an old lady.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ashley is just so much better in the remake its not even comparable. Great change, and great pics!
Thanks! I don't take a lot of pics on pc sadly because Steam cannot into HDR pics... if I played this on ps5, I would've like 100 screenshots more :p
I love the new Luis too.
DOn't like new Sadler, new Ada and new Salazar.

Madflavor

Wow it's a bit surreal seeing the mixed reaction toward Crowbcat's latest vid. I mean that in a good way, he obviously missed the mark on this one. I agree there were some things the Original does better as far as atmosphere and sound design is concerned, but there were so many moments in this video were I was like "Uhhh so what's the problem here?"

ungalo

Still surprising he skipped on LTOU TV show vs the game... 👀

Maybe that one is too low hanging fruit. :messenger_winking_tongue:
It's highly probable he just doesn't care because it's a show, or perhaps he just doesn't care about both. It's not like he's doing a lot of videos. You can tell he wanted to make the Halo videos because he really liked the IP.

Besides that, a guy who uploads videos twice a year on Youtube without a Patreon or anything obviously doesn't care about clickbaiting, it seems people have a hard time spotting the real frauds in gaming. The ones who sell fake positivity all the time. Certain reactions just give me the usual vibe of people not handling criticism very well (it's not about "missing the mark", who cares ? It's one point of view).

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I know a few people who do prefer that version of re1. I also used to think the remake made it obsolete but I changed my mind on that. The difference is re4 remake is the remake that's the most similar to its original game but is a lesser version of it in many ways.
Yea, people definitely exist who prefer the original release of RE1.
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

I feel like RE4 diehards have had it too good since 2004. RE4 altered RE gameplay to where it didn't even resemble the previous games, it shook up the whole industry in terms of game design. It's legacy has never been in question, and it's widely available. However, a remake has been released and some people are like, "Hey this might be better than the OG..."

In other words. Y'ALL SCARED.

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

For me, both are 10/10 but RE4 has never been my cup of RE tea, even 4make. I prefer some things it does but neither game will ever be my go to.

Last edited:
Not watching the video, don't have the time nor interest.

I'm just baffled that it has to be either OG RE4 is garbage and RE4R is perfect or the other way around. I wrote a long "review" post about RE4R in the OT saying I think it has a lot of problems and isn't as tight and cohesive as the original but it's still a really good game in many ways. They feel different enough to me that a direct comparison is pretty much pointless.

I prefer the original but it's also 2023 and some players who "weren't there" aren't going to want to play a game that feels archaic to them. They'll play this one instead. Nothing is lost, there's a stupidly good HD texture pack for the OG version, Capcom keeps cashing the fuck in on RE and the series at least keeps rolling with solid-to-good entries. I mean what is anyone missing out on here ultimately :messenger_tears_of_joy:? OG fanatics already have a "perfect game" so no remake was ever going to make it better anyway.

PS: We could be in Silent Hill territory right now so...

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I think music in the original is better + an extra boss fight, but that's pretty much it ,RE4 is a masterpiece no matter if its REmake or the original

Yea, people definitely exist who prefer the original release of RE1.
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

I feel like RE4 diehards have had it too good since 2004. RE4 altered RE gameplay to where it didn't even resemble the previous games, it shook up the whole industry in terms of game design. It's legacy has never been in question, and it's widely available. However, a remake has been released and some people are like, "Hey this might be better than the OG..."

In other words. Y'ALL SCARED.

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

For me, both are 10/10 but RE4 has never been my cup of RE tea, even 4make. I prefer some things it does but neither game will ever be my go to.
To be clear, I laughed at your Dr Evil gif setup. I think you make good points. I've played and replayed RE4 OG since it's release, and I think RE4 Remake was as good as I could've hoped for. It's now one of maybe 10 games I've 100%'d in my life.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Finished watching. Actually, there's quite a lot that I agree with. They've cut out way more than I initially remembered, and of course they had to neuter some of the dialogue where Leon was being more facetious or flirty with chicks, because apparently it's not allowed to have this derogatory filth in a post-woke era.

Still, remake isn't bad, but at least this video was a sobering reminder that the original is still GOAT.

Vick

Wow it's a bit surreal seeing the mixed reaction toward Crowbcat's latest vid. I mean that in a good way, he obviously missed the mark on this one. I agree there were some things the Original does better as far as atmosphere and sound design is concerned, but there were so many moments in this video were I was like "Uhhh so what's the problem here?"
..and cutscene direction, and art design, and actual shooting, and replay value, and innovation/industry impact, and often voice acting/motion capture..

fart town usa

Gold Member
To be clear, I laughed at your Dr Evil gif setup. I think you make good points. I've played and replayed RE4 OG since it's release, and I think RE4 Remake was as good as I could've hoped for. It's now one of maybe 10 games I've 100%'d in my life.
Nice. I'm glad it generated some laughs.

Some people are taking this OG vs REmake stuff way too serious. Gotta try to lighten the mood.

fart town usa

Gold Member
can't disagree

amazing gameplay in the remake, but atmosphere-wise its just "another RE engine game" and not its own thing like the original
Here's a different take on the OG.

I actually prefer the look of RE4 on PS2. Especially if you have the component cables and force it into progressive scan. It's got a super gritty vibe to it.

Yea GCN is better on paper but for my own tastes, PS2 for me.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I haven't played the remake, but this video tells me it targets a more grounded and realistic tone, while the original was closer to a corny action flick.

The remake adds some good scenes (Like Ashley lowering herself from the window, demonstrating how she's out of her element and needs to learn to trust Leon.) but also takes away a lot of the flavor (Villagers talking/coordinating, Ada Wong holstering her gun, flirtatious remarks etc.). Some times it seems like they did it to fit 'modern sensibilities' and other times to cut costs (No transformation cutscene for Mendez, no animation for picking up the fake eye.).

Yeah, I could see how some might feel the remake is soulless.

Bartski

Gold Member
Some people are not pleased because of the RE 4 Remake criticism.

Others(like me) are not pleased because we think Crowbcat could make a better video.

We are not the same.
I'm here because I loved some of his previous videos. Some of them I consider a masterclass of a savage factual takedown. This one is just bad. Relies on a very cheap editing trick and just totally fails to convey any point he was trying to get across looking at the video title.

I liked the remake a lot but I don't give two fucks about defending it. As opposed to some self-proclaimed defenders of integrity who just can't seem to recognize their own rose-tinted nostalgia bias and try to intellectualize it with some truly outlandish BS. If someone feels like the OG was better that's totally fine, I haven't played it since 2005 but for the time it was amazing.

Top Bottom