• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat soul vs soulles Resident Evil 4 Remake

Madflavor

Doesn't seem recent, based on the screenshots I'm able to find on archive etc. It seems like he made an obvious troll title change for a few hours at most. And how on earth would anyone who has seen his videos in the past not realize the trolling humor? If crowbcat kept the video and reversed the title for a bit, the only people he was making fun of were obviously the ones losing their minds over it. He was targeting the very same people who tried to use his jab at them as evidence that he backtracked, lol

Plenty of people are aware he did it as a way to troll people. He changed the title for a whole day before reverting back to the original. But regardless if it's trolling or not, this is the first time the guy ever got any sort of backlash, especially at this scale which his like/dislike ratio hovered between 40-45% dislikes. So it undoubtedly got under his skin, at least enough for him to be petty about it.

The RE3 remake was an actual genuine travesty.

To be honest, RE4 is off the hook in the bad quality department. At least Capcom didn't screw with it as much as the previous two remakes.

I prefer the 2005 game as well, but this is definitely the second best remake, with 2 being a close runner up. Although I just wasn't keen on all of the cut content, and whatnot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
havent played remake4 yet (only the demo), but seems like...

remake4 = more realistic, more of a believable world, catered to modern tastes
og re4 = more fantastical, more inspired, seems like they just had a good time making it

excited to play remake4, but my moneys on og re4.
it's definitely more subdued but its still bombastic compared to say dying light and tlou2. Its still got that B movie feel. Lots of funny encounters.

I have no doubt that some might prefer the original over this game, but to call it soulless is just silly. I think something like CoD or Ass Creed Valhalla or Far Cry might be what you'd call soulless. This game aint it. The game design alone is a love letter to past RE games.

I get that people on the internet love to overreact but this aint the right way to critique this game. A better video wouldve been him sitting down after writing his thoughts down and taking us through the comparisons. This is just lazy and it undermines his point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Synthetic Man put up a pretty solid analysis of Crowbcat's video. Helps elaborate on where the comparisons weren't fair or could've been better communicated.

In Defense of Crowbcat

Edit: lol timing
He fails to disprove any of the lies that crowbcat has pushed in his video, relies on personal insults and generally antagonizing anyone who disagrees, all while saying "well it was how *I* played it". It is as shit of a video as Crowbcat's.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me the only thing thats “soulless“ about RE4R is the cover art.
589f5ee56292a68dcf2bfeda5be657301678109217-lg.jpg

FANTASTIC game but it has such a boring ass cover.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Does anyone find it somewhat ironic how people are mocking Crowbcat for being "thin skinned" when they themselves couldn't handle a video of the remake being placed in context, sequentially, next to the original lol?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Does anyone find it somewhat ironic how people are mocking Crowbcat for being "thin skinned" when they themselves couldn't handle a video of the remake being placed in context, sequentially, next to the original lol?

I don't think you understand context or irony. Criticizing RE4Remake is perfectly fine. Making shit up and purposefully being disingenuous is not.

Danjin44

I actually really like this cover. If it was just Leon it would be boring, but the half n half is cool.
I don’t know to me it looks dull, nothing striking about it.

I’m also SUPER hyped for FFXVI as well but just dont like cover art in that games as well. Very typical and generic cover.
3max.jpg

fatmarco

I don't think you understand context or irony. Criticizing RE4Remake is perfectly fine. Making shit up and purposefully being disingenuous is not.
I didn't see anything in the video that seemed disingenuous though, that's sort of my point, maybe outside of the implication that for the things that were removed, that nothing was added to the remake.

Danjin44

I kinda like it though. Its simple, smooth and deliver the message.
I guess I'm alone on that opinion.

Edit: Then again I'm also type of person who really likes hand drawn cover this is why I wish FFXVI this type of cover...
final-fantasy-xvi-2969338.jpg
Final-Fantasy-XVI-4-800x445.jpg.webp

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don’t know to me it looks dull, nothing striking about it.

I’m also SUPER hyped for FFXVI as well but just dont like cover art in that games as well. Very typical and generic cover.
3max.jpg

Count me as someone who loves it. For a few reasons I'll shoot off:

• At the heart of FFXVI is the story of two brothers, which are the only two people on the cover.
  • Clive being enveloped by flames is a representation of his rage, and the story's theme of revenge.
  • The position of Ifrit's head and horns blends in with Clive's shoulder and almost looks like his pauldron.
  • In general I like the color scheme of white, orange, and gray. This is gonna be a dark tale.

I love the handdrawn art you posted, but I feel like this cover does a good job getting across what FFXVI is all about.

stickkidsam

He fails to disprove any of the lies that crowbcat has pushed in his video, relies on personal insults and generally antagonizing anyone who disagrees, all while saying "well it was how *I* played it". It is as shit of a video as Crowbcat's.
He's not there to disprove the "lies" in Crowbcat's video; he's offering constructive criticism while dismissing the butthurt mob. I'd say that has more value than trying to disprove unproven claims. Claims which can easily be chalked up to incidental differences in player set ups. Like Crowbcat or not, he doesn't have a history of doctoring footage.

So Synthetic Man dismissed the topic and instead tackled other issues with Crowbcat's video. If flinging some shit while he did it invalidates his whole video then this entire controversy belongs in the can.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
He's not there to disprove the "lies" in Crowbcat's video; he's offering constructive criticism while dismissing the butthurt mob. I'd say that has more value than trying to disprove unproven claims. Claims which can easily be chalked up to incidental differences in player set ups. Like Crowbcat or not, he doesn't have a history of doctoring footage.

So Synthetic Man dismissed the topic and instead tackled other issues with Crowbcat's video. If flinging some shit while he did it invalidates his whole video then this entire controversy belongs in the can.

He *is* the butthurt mob. No self respecting person would immediately dive into strawman arguments and insulting anyone who is criticising Crowbcat. He clearly has a stick up his ass when it comes to GManLives and their audience. This is less a "constructive criticism" video and a more a fanboy whining that others are calling out someone for the BS.

I didn't see anything in the video that seemed disingenuous though, that's sort of my point, maybe outside of the implication that for the things that were removed, that nothing was added to the remake.
After playing the original again, I can comment on what he did that was disingenuous.

1. He cherry picked the enemy A.I. footage to make the OG RE 4 appear better. One easy way to compare this situation: When in the castle, get to the room that has the cage fall above you and you're locked into it with the wolverine claw blind guy. Go through the lock behind you, exit, and circle around the cage. The enemies will try to chase you through cage walls and won't even consider the fact that they can leave the entrance behind them that you've just created in order to fight you. You can easily shoot them or mess around with them from there. There are more examples but this is a much more obvious one.

2. He mixed the audio improperly in multiple sections and cherry picked the OG's audio at times. If you play the remake with music off, there are ambient sounds where there should be. He turned off/turned down the music where there should be music in certain moments. Also the mixing for the original was only built for mono/stereo speakers on 4:3 TVs and had very little to no 3D audio, so it has been boosted since inception. To say this as nice as possible, 'boosted audio = good' is a very level 1 brain take when it comes to audio. Who knows, maybe Crowbcat also likes soundcloud artists who are terrible at mixing too as long as it's loud 🤷‍♂️

Also, Crowbcat shows a few rooms of the castle to imply that the eerie humming noise is ambience, but it is not. That noise/music is when you are in an enemy encounter. He left one enemy alive, off screen, and let the music play to imply that the combat theme is ambience. When if you play the original, the rooms in the castle are extremely quiet once out of combat and all you can hear in 95% of them are Leon's footsteps. He even proves this(against his own video title) later on in some of the rooms, for example where you grab the goat head after fighting the knights.

3. The Krauser section is extremely disingenous and cherry picked. His footage makes a large implication that there is no actual knife fight gameplay in the remake and that the OG has quick time events. The remake fleshed out the entire fight into a full on knife fight with added QTE's and dialogue(that he conveniently skipped). He also conveniently skipped the second Krauser fight and the Mike/Helicopter guy fights which were both done better in the remake. Honestly, he skipped entire parts in the remake(including additions) to only showcase what he felt was worse.

This is why people are saying this is a bad video. The problem is that everyone who's pointing this out is being called a 'Resident Evil 4 Remake fanboy' or worse, but most of the people like myself just want a fair 1:1 comparison and not whatever lazy pointed edits these were. He is capable of better and he shows it in his past videos.

Even in this video for example: He is right about the cut content. You could argue it was for creative purposes, lore purposes, or maybe will be included in the DLC for Ada. However that's fair, what's cut is cut. The same goes for some of the little extra animations including death animations, gross leaking out of the more bug-like enemies, etc. That's fair to criticize because it was left out or edited differently. If this were a more honest video, it would be an amazing comparison piece. As it is now, it needs a ton of work and the tons of people looking from the outside in who've never played the Remake are getting a very, very biased comparison shown to them from a youtuber who's usually better at this.

bender

What time is it?
Even in this video for example: He is right about the cut content. You could argue it was for creative purposes, lore purposes, or maybe will be included in the DLC for Ada. However that's fair, what's cut is cut. The same goes for some of the little extra animations including death animations, gross leaking out of the more bug-like enemies, etc. That's fair to criticize because it was left out or edited differently. If this were a more honest video, it would be an amazing comparison piece. As it is now, it needs a ton of work and the tons of people looking from the outside in who've never played the Remake are getting a very, very biased comparison shown to them from a youtuber who's usually better at this.

I'm not sure crowbcat is where you'd go for a fair comparison as he will lean into things for comedic effect. Did he cross too far over the line? Maybe. Do the transgressions wipe away the valid points? Probably not but as you pointed out, it has seemingly diminished them. I might be off base but I doubt many people look to crowbcat for purchasing decisions.

I'm not sure crowbcat is where you'd go for a fair comparison as he will lean into things for comedic effect.
He didn't used to do this when it came to his comparison pieces. Check out his Dark Souls vs Dark Souls remastered, Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 5 details, Dead Rising 1 vs Dead Rising 4, etc. He would go into full detail of nearly each and every part of both games as comparison pieces, unbiased, and let the commenters decide. He didn't make odd cuts or edits to backup a biased opinion and would instead let the work speak for itself.

There is a very distinct difference between those videos and this one.

Did he cross too far over the line? Maybe. Do the transgressions wipe away the valid points? Probably not but as you pointed out, it has seemingly diminished them. I might be off base but I doubt many people look to crowbcat for purchasing decisions.
I don’t think he crossed any lines. Again, my posts aren’t about the game. This is about Crowbcat. I just think that he was sloppy. He released this video way too soon before it was fully ready to be released, probably because he has strong feelings on the game due to the video title and the fact that he edited the description. Because of that, the content feels a bit rushed and more biased, comparative to his other works.

I mainly added that final part because unlike his other videos where he waits 6 months to a full year or more to make a long detailed comparison, this one particularly came out much closer to a game's release date than usual. That feels like it could influence purchasing decisions since he is a YouTuber that can get millions to watch him.

Wildebeest

I don't know what to think about this. On one hand perhaps some character was lost, but on the other hand this is all Millennial nostalgia overdose to a sickening level. As a Gen-X I can only be bitter because we were always told that everything from our past was bad, and we have rose-tinted glasses. We didn't get coddled when we talked about games losing character for much bigger changes than this.

bender

What time is it?
There is a very distinct difference between those videos and this one.

He's one of my few Youtube subscriptions so I've seen all of his stuff. You may very well be correct, but I don't ever remember another one of his videos being picked apart like this one. That could be for a lot of reasons:

-He's never exaggerated before.
-He exaggerated far more this time around that it was obvious to his audience.
-The target in his sights has been received far better than the subject of his past videos leading to the additional scrutiny.
-Some combination of all the factors.

I doubt this is his first time exaggerating to prove a point mostly because he rarely releases videos anymore so this doesn't seem like it would be an attempt at views for cash or fame. It feels like he just creates videos these days when he's inspired. Yeah I know, that's a lot of assumptions on my part.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
To add to my prior comment I thought about this game after release and asked myself if I would play through it again on professional and I think so later on.

With RE4 original I jumped right back in for more and came back to it often. Idk if I’ll keep coming back to it or remake now. Time will tell.

IMO I think the original is what I’ll play again when I’m in the mood but there is so many things about remake I enjoy like the less annoying Ashley sequences and amount of themx, bosses here vs original, and furthermore all of Krouser is top shelf.

fatmarco

After playing the original again, I can comment on what he did that was disingenuous.

1. He cherry picked the enemy A.I. footage to make the OG RE 4 appear better. One easy way to compare this situation: When in the castle, get to the room that has the cage fall above you and you're locked into it with the wolverine claw blind guy. Go through the lock behind you, exit, and circle around the cage. The enemies will try to chase you through cage walls and won't even consider the fact that they can leave the entrance behind them that you've just created in order to fight you. You can easily shoot them or mess around with them from there. There are more examples but this is a much more obvious one.

2. He mixed the audio improperly in multiple sections and cherry picked the OG's audio at times. If you play the remake with music off, there are ambient sounds where there should be. He turned off/turned down the music where there should be music in certain moments. Also the mixing for the original was only built for mono/stereo speakers on 4:3 TVs and had very little to no 3D audio, so it has been boosted since inception. To say this as nice as possible, 'boosted audio = good' is a very level 1 brain take when it comes to audio. Who knows, maybe Crowbcat also likes soundcloud artists who are terrible at mixing too as long as it's loud 🤷‍♂️

Also, Crowbcat shows a few rooms of the castle to imply that the eerie humming noise is ambience, but it is not. That noise/music is when you are in an enemy encounter. He left one enemy alive, off screen, and let the music play to imply that the combat theme is ambience. When if you play the original, the rooms in the castle are extremely quiet once out of combat and all you can hear in 95% of them are Leon's footsteps. He even proves this(against his own video title) later on in some of the rooms, for example where you grab the goat head after fighting the knights.

3. The Krauser section is extremely disingenous and cherry picked. His footage makes a large implication that there is no actual knife fight gameplay in the remake and that the OG has quick time events. The remake fleshed out the entire fight into a full on knife fight with added QTE's and dialogue(that he conveniently skipped). He also conveniently skipped the second Krauser fight and the Mike/Helicopter guy fights which were both done better in the remake. Honestly, he skipped entire parts in the remake(including additions) to only showcase what he felt was worse.

This is why people are saying this is a bad video. The problem is that everyone who's pointing this out is being called a 'Resident Evil 4 Remake fanboy' or worse, but most of the people like myself just want a fair 1:1 comparison and not whatever lazy pointed edits these were. He is capable of better and he shows it in his past videos.

I think for the first point regarding AI, you probably should have chosen something to compare that wasn't cut from the remake lol.

I agree with the comparisons of the combat audio playing, like in the water room in the OG but not in the remake footage though, that's a genuine fuck up / intentional misrepresentation.

I wouldn't say the final Krauser fight or Helicopter Mike bits were better in the remake though, they were extremely similar to the original.

And yea definitely agree that if you're going to show what was cut, probably should show what was added, like the castle wall section, the extended Luis narrative etc. which were all cool stuff.

I would just say though, there are still a lot of things that the remake, often bizarrely, does worse and I haven't seen it being called out on it enough (and I think, even comparisons to the other remakes would make it come across worse, especially in regards to animation), so maybe it was good to have a reversed biased take to counter the launch period high of the remake.

Madflavor

He's one of my few Youtube subscriptions so I've seen all of his stuff. You may very well be correct, but I don't ever remember another one of his videos being picked apart like this one. That could be for a lot of reasons:

-He's never exaggerated before.
-He exaggerated far more this time around that it was obvious to his audience.
-The target in his sites has been received far better than the subject of his past videos leading to the additional scrutiny.
-Some combination of all the factors.

I doubt this is his first time exaggerating to prove a point mostly because he rarely releases videos anymore so this doesn't seem like it would be an attempt at views for cash or fame. It feels like he just creates videos these days when he's inspired. Yeah I know, that's a lot of assumptions on my part.

I feel like it's those two points. It's just a weird target to go after, especially since he did nothing with RE3R, which if we're gonna talk "Soul vs. Soulless", that game was an obvious rush job with the staggering about of content from the Original that wasn't in the Remake.

Also there's a great deal of people within the "Original is superior" crowd that don't seem to get that the Remake is clearly taking a very different approach to it's tone. It's a Remake that offers a different take on the story, which reinforces the sentiment that both the Original and the Remake can co-exist because they offer different experiences. Some of the complaints toward the Remake really just boil down to it not technically being "worse", but just different. With CrowbCat's video it's very clearly edited in a way to make the Remake look inferior with every comparison made, and a lot of people saw right through it.

It was just a miscalculated move by CrowbCat, because I don't think it's going to be the same for him after this. Once that critical eye is on you, it never goes away.

so maybe it was good to have a reversed biased take to counter the launch period high of the remake.
I was wondering if you could expand more on this part. I’m not seeing the positives to creating counter pieces to a good game that’s generally being received well.

fatmarco

I was wondering if you could expand more on this part. I’m not seeing the positives to creating counter pieces to a good game that’s generally being received well.
Just purely to contain the hyperbole. I was thinking more that there is this period when a new cool game is out, and people start dismissing the old game as being mostly inferior, but then maybe 3-6 months later, or even a year later it turns, and it starts to become common to dismiss the recent title and isolate and target ways the older title was always better, which ends up consuming the conversation and skewing the perception of the newer game.

One side of the argument is biased by contemporary hype, and the other either nostalgia or a narrow perspective.

The point being that it might be better to have that conversation sooner, where we can have that discussion while we are still infatuated with the new game and can still vouch for the things that it did well, equivalently, or what it added to the overall experience. Then again, you could also argue this sort of content "doesn't let people enjoy things in the moment".

Top Bottom