• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2: First PS3 footage | PS3 Multiplayer Demo March 16th

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Feindflug said:
The only games that I know that have a 704 vertical resolution are the Ratchet & Clank series on the PS3 and the horizontal is 960 IIRC.

Yeah, you're right.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Stitch said:
yes, but only smaller things like rocks and bushes, not trees and waterfalls :lol

ZeroRay said:
A post from B3D mentioned how that waterfall pops in even on the PC version at the highest settings, so it probably is just an engine issue.

eshwaaz

kerrak said:
Is it me or this game looks boring?
I think it looks like a refreshing change of pace. Most FPSs these days are so focused on just throwing constant chaos and mayhem in your face at all times; it's become tiresome and exhausting. Crysis 2 appears to give the player some choice in play style and allows some control over the pacing, which sounds great to me. I'm so freaking sick of all the "IT'S LIKE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE!!!!" FPSs we've been getting recently.

Looks nice, unless it uses Bink then it's the worst game ever.

Even though I'd be playing on PC I'll probably check out the game on all platforms out of curiosity.

JaseC

eshwaaz said:
I honestly think it looks like a refreshing change of pace. Most FPSs these days are so focused on just throwing constant chaos and mayhem in your face at all times; it's become tiresome and exhausting. Crysis 2 appears to give the player some choice in play style and allows some control over the pacing, which sounds great to me. I'm so freaking sick of all the "IT'S LIKE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE!!!!" FPSs we've been getting recently.

eshwaaz_VanquishAvatar.gif

Yes, I know it's a TPS.

JaseC

DeadRockstar said:
Looks nice, unless it uses Bink then it's the worst game ever.

Even though I'd be playing on PC I'll probably check out the game on all platforms out of curiosity.

I'll likely ignore the game until I upgrade my PC later in the year. I have no desire to play through it on neither console.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Looks as good as the other console version.
Color me surprised.

Divius

eshwaaz said:
I think it looks like a refreshing change of pace. Most FPSs these days are so focused on just throwing constant chaos and mayhem in your face at all times; it's become tiresome and exhausting. Crysis 2 appears to give the player some choice in play style and allows some control over the pacing, which sounds great to me. I'm so freaking sick of all the "IT'S LIKE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE!!!!" FPSs we've been getting recently.
I fully agree. Recently played some CoD:BlOps singleplayer and it's almost like an onrail shooter. Pretty much everything is done for you, and there's only 1 specific path you can follow. I enjoyed playing the Crysis SP more, because you can indeed choose different play styles and such.

I have to say that the footage looks pretty amazing, there's a lot of complaining but to me it looks great and I can't wait to play it
on my PC

JaseC

Fersis said:
Looks as good as the other console version.
Color me surprised.

And wouldn't you know it, a GIS for "color me surprised" (minus quotation marks) results in an image of a PS3 controller, amongst other things.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
lowrider007 said:
hmmm, I don't know what it is but it doesn't pop up for me. Unless you have to view it from atop a higher place farther away. I don't remember that initial waterfall with the rainbow popping up on me.

And seeing the video is not exactly the best quality, I would reserve judgement on which version being best.

CozMick

Banned
Looks just as bad as the 360 footage/demo.

Shitty framerates, shitty resolution, shitty lod, masked by half decent visuals

Damn near looks like slow-mo is activated....................

ugh!

JaseC

CozMick said:
Looks just as bad as the 360 footage/demo.

Shitty framerates, shitty resolution, shitty lod, masked by half decent visuals

Damn near looks like slow-mo is activated....................

ugh!

MAXIMUM SLOW-MO!

LiquidMetal14

magicaltrevor said:
I'm disappointed to be honest...
I can't help it, but I just have to say KZ3 looks MUCH better than this.
LOL that was already apparent. I don't know how some said this on consoles looks better without even seeing how good KZ3 looks first hand. Not just the demo either. I'm sure someone will buy it just to say they have it and then put it through the ringer though :p

There are things this game lacks that the best just offer and at a much better frame rate with better IQ.

Looks the same as the 360 version to me...the lighting in the 360 version didn't look more impressive to me...or, to be more precise, particularly impressive in either..although maybe because I have played the original crysis on pc.

Overall, both look pretty good for console footage

kerrak said:

If it plays like the first game then it will be. I refuse to pass judgement on the game from a short gameplay demo, but I won't lie it does look somewhat boring. Flanking left or right on an enemy instead of going right at him doesn't really do anything for me on the excitement scale.

LiquidMetal14

WrikaWrek said:
I think it looks pretty good. Compared to console games obviously.
Just looks a little lower res. I'm eager to try it, of course. I'm eager to see the PC version more though :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
tmacairjordan87 said:
If it plays like the first game then it will be. I refuse to pass judgement on the game from a short gameplay demo, but I won't lie it does look somewhat boring. Flanking left or right on an enemy instead of going right at him doesn't really do anything for me on the excitement scale.

how about getting behind the enemy being invisible then shooting one in the head, then watch others running to his body and when they are there you go into the strength mode, grab the refrigerator nearby and throw it at them killing them all? Then when other enemies begin to gather you jump onto the roof oh the nearest hut using strength mode, smash its rooth, fall onto the head of the soldier there, grab him by the throat and rush outside with a pistol and with him dying as a living shield while you circle strafe his mates in the speed mode and killing them all?

if you suck at game, don't judge it as boring. That's just not your cup of tea.

LiquidMetal14

subversus said:
how about getting behind the enemy being invisible then shooting one in the head, then watch others running to his body and when they are there you go into the strength mode, grab the refrigerator nearby and throw it at them killing them all? Then when other enemies begin to gather you jump onto the roof oh the nearest hut using strength mode, smash its rooth, fall onto the head of the soldier there, grab him by the throat and rush outside with a pistol and with him dying as a living shield while you circle strafe his mates in the speed mode and killing them all?

if you suck at game, don't judge it as a boring. That's just not your cup of tea.
Basically true. There are tons of things to tinker with in your approach with Crysis.

subversus said:

if you suck at game, don't judge it as a boring. That's just not your cup of tea.

Who said anything about sucking? That seems to be the go-to defense of a game for people around here. I just find the first game to be boring, no matter how many ways you can think of to make killing someone more work than just popping him.

subversus

tmacairjordan87 said:
Who said anything about sucking? That seems to be the go-to defense of a game for people around here. I just find the first game to be boring, no matter how many ways you can think of to make killing someone more work than just popping him.

play COD then, if killing somebody with something other than a headshot is too hard for you. I don't know what shooter you could find interesting from a gameplay perspective then.

StuBurns

Banned
It looks fine, on par with the 360 version although that too is kind of underwhelming. I'm still buying it day one.

RedSwirl

kerrak said:

That would've been one of the most boring parts of Crysis 1. My big worry is that I still haven't seen any section in the footage resembling the Assault level from Crysis 1 or anything where they give you the freedom to infiltrate bases.

subversus said:
play COD then, if killing somebody with something other than a headshot is too hard for you. I don't know what shooter you could find interesting from a gameplay perspective then.

You defend a game about as well as a typical youtube commenter. I didn't say the game was hard, just that it's boring. When I saw pc gaf getting upset over 2, I get interested as I do with any sequel they get upset over as it tends to be better. I guess I'm hoping the city will make it more interesting than an empty jungle.

Told you guys the PS3 version would be alright. While I think the lighting looks better in the 360 gameplay trailer, it really is not comparable because this is most likely a different time of day. My guess is that in the end both versions will be sub-hd with a slight edge for the 360 version.

Framerate analysis of both trailers would be interesting! PS3 looks more fluent to me. But again hard to judge because of the "realistic" camera movement speed. Way to not show off the motion blur.

subversus

tmacairjordan87 said:
You defend a game about as well as a typical youtube commenter. I didn't say the game was hard, just that it's boring.

you're not that far from a typical youtube commenter because you're failing to answer simple questions like what shooters you find interesting from gameplay perspective and thus making your argument baseless.

also empty jungles? lol, ok then. I think you played like 30 min of original Crysis and that's it.

Shurs

I'll probably cop this on the 360, but it's nice to see that there appears to be parity between the two versions.

Kung Fu Grip said:
I never got the appeal of this game to be honest.
The appeal is insane visuals, GREAT gunplay, and many choices on how you want to play a certain mission (and bragging rights if your PC can handle it on high settings).

Yes, if you have patience, you can play the entire game stealthed up. If you don't feel like it, go Dudebro on their ass!

matmanx1

Looks better than I thought it would. It does have a "softness" to it but the framerate seems fine as does the lighting and particle/water effects. It looks to be very playable and if delivers an experience that is on par with the PC version then Crytek can be proud of what they achieved.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tmacairjordan87 said:
You defend a game about as well as a typical youtube commenter. I didn't say the game was hard, just that it's boring. When I saw pc gaf getting upset over 2, I get interested as I do with any sequel they get upset over as it tends to be better. I guess I'm hoping the city will make it more interesting than an empty jungle.

Crysis is about wider, open areas, scattered enemies and obsticles, and the freedom to move about and tackle objectives in your own way. It is not about instantly popping every guy that happens to stray into your crosshair.

If you dont like those kinds of games, fine. But that is why Crysis is, people like it for a reason, and if I were you I wouldn't bother holding any interest in Crysis 2 because the formula will be the same.

EDIT: And for the record, I found Crysis to be immensely overrated, though still a wonderful game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kung Fu Grip said:
I never got the appeal of this game to be honest.

Crysis 1 ( for me atleast ) was a game that tricked people, looking at it you'd think the visuals are it's forte but the gameplay is very good for being a modern fps per se. Combining the suitpowers with the quasi-openworld feeling of the game gave me a satisfying game experience.

What I'm trying to say is perhaps the same applies to 2, that is it might "look boring" but I bet playing it will feel just great.

subversus said:
you're not that far from a typical youtube commenter because you're failing to answer simple questions like what shooters you find interesting from gameplay perspective and thus making your argument baseless.

also empty jungles? lol, ok then. I think you played like 30 min of original Crysis and that's it.

Well the cods and killzone 2/3 had interesting campaigns. I didn't like killzone 3's campaign, but it's definitely not boring. And I stopped playing crysis after 2 hours or so, I just couldn't come up with a reason to keep going. Maybe it gets better when the aliens come out, I don't know but I'm not going to play what I think is a boring game to get to a good part. I learned that lesson from FF13.

Looked great to me. Then again I watched it on my iPod :p

The one thing that I haven't seen yet is the openness of the levels. Granted these trailers could show only a single route. I know there are multiple routes but I didn't feel like he level was open. I can feel it in the first game even though I havent made it past the intro. Here the levels seem closed off somehow. Of course with all the damage done to New York, streets would be filled wiu rubble.

subversus

tmacairjordan87 said:
Well the cods and killzone 2/3 had interesting campaigns. I didn't like killzone 3's campaign, but it's definitely not boring. And I stopped playing crysis after 2 hours or so, I just couldn't come up with a reason to keep going. Maybe it gets better when the aliens come out, I don't know but I'm not going to play what I think is a boring game to get to a good part. I learned that lesson from FF13.

you should've started with this. Crysis is just not a game for you it seems. I enjoyed all COD campaigns except MW2 and enjoyed KZ 2-3, but Crysis (as well as Far Cry 2) is a different kind of beast. These games won't entertain you, they'll give you tools, so you could entertain yourself. There won't be any tight action or spectacular situations if you don't set up them yourself.

EatChildren said:
Crysis is about wider, open areas, scattered enemies and obsticles, and the freedom to move about and tackle objectives in your own way. It is not about instantly popping every guy that happens to stray into your crosshair.

If you dont like those kinds of games, fine. But that is why Crysis is, people like it for a reason, and if I were you I wouldn't bother holding any interest in Crysis 2 because the formula will be the same.

EDIT: And for the record, I found Crysis to be immensely overrated, though still a wonderful game.

Thank you, a legitimate response. I'm definitely waiting for a cheap price if I do get 2, but I saw a lot of pirates who played the leaked version complaining that 2 was "consolized" and in my experience when people are complaining like that it means it's good. That's why I hold any interest at all in this.

Top Bottom