• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2: First PS3 footage | PS3 Multiplayer Demo March 16th

shagg_187 said:
The appeal is insane visuals, GREAT gunplay, and many choices on how you want to play a certain mission (and bragging rights if your PC can handle it on high settings).

Yes, if you have patience, you can play the entire game stealthed up. If you don't feel like it, go Dudebro on their ass!

It just seems thats all its known for. Everytime i hear about this game its always "teh graphix R amazazing!"

I never hear anything about gameplay. Maby im just not looking for it. :p

EDIT- Nice combo in that avatar PXG.

Holy crap. Aside from the pop-in it looks amazing for consoles. And on the PC, hardcore settings is going to look better than that. That's what I'm going to play at.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kung Fu Grip said:
I never got the appeal of this game to be honest.
It's a different kind of a shooter. Unlike popular roller coaster rides of today, Crysis (and seemingly Crysis 2) focuses on providing the player open battlefields and a variety of tools allowing you to create your own battles. They don't simply throw the player into sequences that generally play out the same every time. I find this kind of freedom extremely enjoyable.

As with many of my favorite games, it offers freedom within a linear framerate. Fully open games (sandbox titles) bore me to tears, generally, while super linear games tend to offer limited thrills. Really, the approach of Crysis is actually quite similar to some titles like Metal Gear Solid in that you are following the narrative, but the scenarios along the way are relatively open ended.

It's much more satisfying than playing through a Call of Duty game for me.

The graphics are ok, but nothing groundbreaking imo... And the pop-up in this game is horrible!

Remember this trailers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kvl31g77Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3mGM-jlEJU 1:50 until 2:42.

Crytek
Rickrolled.gif
console owners. ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DeadRockstar said:
Looks nice, unless it uses Bink then it's the worst game ever.

Even though I'd be playing on PC I'll probably check out the game on all platforms out of curiosity.

Considering the slogan of CryEngine 3 is "Real-Time. All the time.", having pre-rendered cutscenes in Crysis 2 would be an amazing example of irony.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks fine to me. I would have liked to see something that wasn't from a cloudy section of the game so we could see the lighting in action better. Will probably pick up the PS3 version if this video is an accurate indicator of quality.

nit picking aside, it still looks good, and i'm glad they've started showing it on PS3 before release. knowing how seamlessly they can transfer content and test the various builds, it's damn impressive tech.

and no, crysis is not just a tech demo. i almost overlooked it because of people insisting that, and you know what? people insisting that, were the people that hadn't played it by and large.

kerrak said:
Is it me or this game looks boring?

Sure, if you think a badass, hardfarting shooter looks boring. Crysis kicked remarkable amounts of ass, this looks like that on steroids. The pretty visuals made for sweet packaging of incredible shooter awesome.

ElRenoRaven

Looks nice I think. Course I'm not picky when it comes to graphics. Looks interesting too.

Might give it a try when it releases.

subversus said:
how about getting behind the enemy being invisible then shooting one in the head, then watch others running to his body and when they are there you go into the strength mode, grab the refrigerator nearby and throw it at them killing them all? Then when other enemies begin to gather you jump onto the roof oh the nearest hut using strength mode, smash its rooth, fall onto the head of the soldier there, grab him by the throat and rush outside with a pistol and with him dying as a living shield while you circle strafe his mates in the speed mode and killing them all?

if you suck at game, don't judge it as boring. That's just not your cup of tea.

I didn't see any of that in the clip, so what's your point? The game DOES look boring whether you're a fanboy of Crysis or not.

Corky said:
fuck reminded me, was there any way to circumvent this? I was playing crysis on max aswell but got rather annoyed at some of the foliage popping in just a couple of feet infront of my feet continuously
Play around with the values following:

e_view_dist_ratio_detail=
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=

I upped Warhead to:

e_view_dist_ratio_detail=50
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=65

That helped tremendously.

I also read that these play a role too:

e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z=
e_view_dist_ratio=

But I was satisfied after making the first two changes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
plagiarize said:
and no, crysis is not just a tech demo. i almost overlooked it because of people insisting that, and you know what? people insisting that, were the people that hadn't played it by and large.

I admit I went into Crysis just expecting to play it as a tech demo, trying out my new setup. but I really enjoyed it. I loved the freedom to try different approaches to get to objectives. Found it a little disappointing after being fully in the alien area, but the jungle/camp setup was fantastic.

MarkMclovin said:
I didn't see any of that in the clip, so what's your point? The game DOES look boring whether you're a fanboy of Crysis or not.
one of the most recent trailers for Crysis 2 showed a lot of that type of thing. just because you CAN play crysis as a straight forward shooter doesn't mean that's all it is. even as a straight forwards shooter, it's up there in quality.

MarkMclovin said:

Crytek seems to have the game demos dialed all the way down in terms of AI encounters and damage; if you go back and look at the Pinger/Grand Central demo that they released last year (which I can safely say now, was Xbox360 footage or PC at 360 spec), they have God mode on so even when all health is reduced, the player doesn't die. At least in the multiplayer demo and in the original game, if you are under sustained fire for more than a few seconds at a time, you're pretty much dead.

Part of being a semi-sandbox game is that the player doesn't have to be engaged in massive encounters if they don't want to. While Warhead had far more scripted rail sequences, the open segments still allowed you to avoid large swaths of enemies just through creative use of stealth or just running like hell. If you want, you can drive a truck right into the middle of an enemy encampment, use no silencers, and just (attempt to) blow dozens of guards away as they key in on your location.

iam220

Is it just me or does the ps3 version look washed out in comparison to the 360? The lighting does not seem the same.

tmacairjordan87 said:
If it plays like the first game then it will be. I refuse to pass judgement on the game from a short gameplay demo, but I won't lie it does look somewhat boring. Flanking left or right on an enemy instead of going right at him doesn't really do anything for me on the excitement scale.

Its much more than flanking left instead of straight on. The game is very demanding on the highest difficulty if you choose to kill everyone you encounter instead of running away to the next objective (which this game will let you do btw). If you approach this game like a call of duty, than yeah it will be boring. If you want to run from objective to objective while killing as little enemies as possible than that might be boring as well. Only use cloak? Yeah, sounds kind of boring.

When you call this game boring all your saying is "the way I played this game was boring". This is not call of duty or killzone where everyones experience with the game is the same. Each playthrough is unique, allowing for infinite re-playability. I for example like to load up the game every once in a while, jump into a random jungle level and enjoy. I never do that with any other SP FPS. Bottom line is that as an FPS fan you're doing yourself a major disservice by dismissing crysis.

theBishop

Banned
Looks marginally more impressive than the very brief demo footage I saw on 360. Nothing to go by really.

If I get this, it will definitely be on PC regardless.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kung Fu Grip said:
It just seems thats all its known for. Everytime i hear about this game its always "teh graphix R amazazing!"

I never hear anything about gameplay. Maby im just not looking for it. :p

EDIT- Nice combo in that avatar PXG.
It's like the original Predator film, except you're the predator.

StuBurns

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It's like the original Predator film, except you're the predator.
Pretty much.

Although Crysis discussion tends to focus primarily on the visuals, which is deserving, Crysis itself is a phenomenal shooter. There are FPS I prefer for reasons besides the pure mechanics of play, HL2 and it's children for example, but in terms of the basic gameplay, Crysis is the best shooter ever made.

Just because people don't talk about the gameplay of Crysis that often doesn't mean it's not incredible.

Literally the worst pop up I've ever seen in a game. Entire chunks of the map just appeared a few feet in front of the player!

The random pop up of small objects was annoying in Crysis PC but jeez - this is a mess... why make an engine that renders in textures so poorly.

On a positive note , pop up aside, the game does run very nicely on PS3 and to me is very close to the visual fidelity seen in the 360 game.

Suprising when Crytek have kept it so close to their chest all this time.

Nizz

Holy shit, it exists! From the youtube vid it looks a little bit softer to me. But besides that it looks very similar to me to the "road rage" 360 video from last week. In the road rage video and now this PS3 video the framerate looks about the same.

Maybe both videos were made using older builds? Because I watched a Gamespot "Now Playing" video and they had the 360 version. It was running better than the road rage video. Maybe that's the case? More recent builds look even better?

purple cobra said:
Maybe both videos were made using older builds? Because I watched a Gamespot "Now Playing" video and they had the 360 version. It was running better than the road rage video. Maybe that's the case? More recent builds look even better?
Its possible. The game still didn't go gold yet and the leaked version of Crysis 2 was months old and even that was in a good enough shape to be used for demo purposes.

Cornbread78

I thought this was going to be the best looking game that pushes the boundries of the PS3 capabilities? The more I see and hear about this, the more I want to cancel my pre-order on it...... Is there anysaving grace for it, or is there a better game coming out late march, early April (outside of Socom), I should transfer my pre-order to?

StuBurns

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
I thought this was going to be the best looking game that pushes the boundries of the PS3 capabilities? The more I see and hear about this, the more I want to cancel my pre-order on it...... Is there anysaving grace for it, or is there a better game coming out late march, early April (outside of Socom), I should transfer my pre-order to?
Well Portal 2 is that window.

Jadedx

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I know this is getting tired but having just played KZ3 this morning...meh
I only played an hour of KZ3 at a friend's house but this to me looks better, and the 360 vids I saw look better than this.

StuBurns

Banned
markao said:
Video thx to Blim and friends, also avalaible on Gamersyde (145 Mb)
It's much smoother than the 360 video, however the Gamespot thing the other day showed that video wasn't as good as the 360 version is now (or at least suggested it).

Looks lower res though.

Cornbread78 said:
I know PS3 is the "lead platform" for Portal 2, but which should offer better gameplay?
The PC version of Portal is still the lead platform I'd imagine. The gameplay is totally different though.

Jadedx said:
I only played an hour of KZ3 at a friend's house but this to me looks better, and the 360 vids I saw look better than this.

Fair enough, I think KZ3 looks quite a bit more impressive compared to what I have seen of C2 on 360, or here.

aeolist

Banned
One thing I'm really glad they added is a stealth melee kill, and the way you don't get taken out of stealth when using suppressors (it just drains energy)

Loved stealthing in the first two games and I'm glad I'll have more options now

Cornbread78

StuBurns said:
It's much smoother than the 360 video, however the Gamespot thing the other day showed that video wasn't as good as the 360 version is now (or at least suggested it).

Looks lower res though.

The PC version of Portal is still the lead platform I'd imagine. The gameplay is totally different though.

StevieP said:
Uh. The PC?

I mean for consoles with all the talk from Gabe. I will have to wait and see, sometimes you just have to fear the "Bayonetta effect" on a port...

Top Bottom