• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

aeolist

Banned
NotTarts said:
I told myself I wouldn't bother arguing with you after I read that.
Is it really that hard to see a difference between this video and the levels in Crysis 1 that were several square kilometers large featuring destructibility and vehicles?

Or is it just that everyone who's suddenly so impressed with the game (which, granted, is visually very nice especially considering the ancient console hardware) has never actually played the first game?

strata8

aeolist said:
Is it really that hard to see a difference between this video and the levels in Crysis 1 that were several square kilometers large featuring destructibility and vehicles?

Or is it just that everyone who's suddenly so impressed with the game (which, granted, is visually very nice especially considering the ancient console hardware) has never actually played the first game?
Vehicles are completely drivable in Crysis 2 and I spent almost 50 hours playing Crysis. But honestly, if you start judging the freedom of a game like Crysis from a video like this, you're just going to get the wrong impression. There are 100s of Crysis videos out there that make the game look like crap.

On the same topic, I hated the way this guy played. Pretty much cloak, sneak up, shoot, repeat. I would be sliding and jumping all over the place, and throwing C4 across the map just for the heck of it.

saunderez

aeolist said:
And then I realized that such things apparently aren't possible anymore
Why did you come to that (wrong) conclusion? There's nothing stopping you from throwing some C4 on the bumper of an APC and driving it into the next enemy base. The game certainly supports it even if the moron who's playing the videos you're watching didn't do it.

aeolist said:
Hallways barely wider than Call of Duty

Saddest part was when he killed a guy who was on a vehicle mounted turret and I thought "oh he should get in that APC and drive it around and run some dudes over and then mount C4 on the front and use it as an explosive battering ram against the next base he comes across"

And then I realized that such things apparently aren't possible anymore
:(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Broadbandito said:
after watching videos of 360 and ps3 versions now, no matter what system you play, its gonna look fuck awesome

Pretty much, it seems that Crytek has backed up their claims of making one of the best looking console games.

I didn't realize this was already out tomorrow. I'll probably be LTTP but look forward to seeing it in the hi-res thread.

aeolist

Banned
saunderez said:
Why did you come to that (wrong) conclusion? There's nothing stopping you from throwing some C4 on the bumper of an APC and driving it into the next enemy base. The game certainly supports it even if the moron who's playing the videos you're watching didn't do it.
The levels I've seen really don't look like they'd support it. It looks like you go through a building or tunnel or up a broken street ledge between every fight.

Haven't seen a single large open area.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Does anyone know what holding down shift/left analog does as it uses power and I thought it was like strength aim in Crysis 1 but I couldn't notice any difference.

aeolist said:
The levels I've seen really don't look like they'd support it. It looks like you go through a building or tunnel or up a broken street ledge between every fight.

Yeah, it seems you can only drive some vehicles in the campaign. I haven't seen any vehicle use in the multiplayer at all.

saunderez said:
The vast majority of levels are very open. There is a section where you're driving a tank that absolutely channels the Halo games.
I think he's talking about the MP.

saunderez

aeolist said:

The vast majority of levels are very open. There is a section where you're driving a tank that absolutely channels the Halo games. Not every level is like this but the times you're given a vehicle you've got plenty of room to drive it in.

strata8

Mr_Brit said:
Does anyone know what holding down shift/left analog does as it uses power and I thought it was like strength aim in Crysis 1 but I couldn't notice any difference.
When you aren't moving? Sounds like a glitch with the sprinting controls.

Unless you mean the right analogue, which is strength punch.

aeolist

Banned
saunderez said:
The vast majority of levels are very open. There is a section where you're driving a tank that absolutely channels the Halo games. Not every level is like this but the times you're given a vehicle you've got plenty of room to drive it in.
Do you have any videos or screens of this?

I guess that's nice and all but it's still disappointing if it's like you're saying, because it sounds like you only get vehicles when the game lets you at scripted points. Also the Halo comparison is better than CoD but still not up to the scale I enjoyed in Crysis 1.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, it seems you can only drive some vehicles in the campaign. I haven't seen any vehicle use in the multiplayer at all.

I think he's talking about the MP.
Don't really care about MP. It was bad in Crysis 1 and I don't really care what it's like now. It's obviously very CoD which only matters insofar as it indicates Crytek's overall console-focused design.

Mr_Brit

Banned
NotTarts said:
When you aren't moving? Sounds like a glitch with the sprinting controls.

Unless you mean the right analogue, which is strength punch.
Yes, the left analog or left shift on PC, it activates power mode and uses energy when you shoot just like in shooting in strength mode in Crysis 1 but in C2 it doesn't seem to do anything.

aeolist

Banned
NotTarts said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKm5gdr1AYE&t=15m13s

The LTV here doesn't have a turret though, and if it does you can't use it whilst driving, like in Crysis 1 at Hard and Delta.
OK, kinda weird that they even let you drive there since you can't get anywhere. The environment is indestructible and the obstacles are too closely packed to drive around.

I'm sure they'll have the usual scripted linear turret sequences and such but that's not really what I'm looking for in Crysis.

K701

Banned
Just played a few minutes of the final version for PS3. Maybe it's because I haven't played a console FPS in years but my first immediate impression is that no way this is running at 720p, the models look good but it's super jaggy (I already know it's confirmed to be running at 720p but it looks jagtastic, not just because of the lack of AA.. it looks like... unreal, like nothing I've seen. my tv is 1080p native so that's probably why the IQ looks really bad)

A few seconds after that there's this water section that follows that I thought looked AMAZING, nice depth of field effects and some motion blurring with sparks and fire, etc. The moment is short lived though and a minute after that you're in this building section where you to have to bust open a lock.... HOLY SHIT THAT LOCK HAS THE WORST TEXTURE I'VE SEEN IN A PS3 GAME EVER. I just stared at it in disbelief for like 15 seconds trying to soak it in. After that I left the building and was outside... I looked at the flags and shot them to test the physics... they are static and don't react at all to bullets.

I then see some enemies come in and notice their animation looks wayyy off, like they are dropping frames and using motion blur to hide it, but my idle animation is still smooth. So it seems instead of dropping rendering frames, the games skips the animation frames of individual things. It looks unreal, I've never seen anything like that. I know that's probably not what's happening but that's what it LOOKS LIKE. After I killed them I saw this tree that looks like TOTAL CRAP, branches are 2D and I can literally count the huge ass pixels in the textures from like 15 in game feet away from it. Anyways I started shooting it and I see this weird ass bullet hole texture just floating in mid air like if it was from another plane of existence than the tree, the hole texture sways in the wind THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE TREE. Within 5 seconds it disappears But I keep shooting to test the physics. Nothing happens at all, they are static. I keep playing and swear I see a jaggy enemy far away but it turns out it's a tree branch...the bad texture work and jaggies make the game look like a mess. At that point I stopped playing and just said to myself if I'm going to play this game, it's going to be on PC.

It might get better after that though since the water section looked nice. However since I have a gaming PC I don't intend to find out. The game doesn't even look half as good as Crysis 1 IMO. I'm disappointed in Crytek, I fell into their hype ever since they unveiled that Balloon commercial demo running in real time on PS3. I honestly thought this game was gonna blow me away and be just like the PC version just with lower resolution...Oh well...

Here's an offscreen screenshot I took of the bullet holes and tree texture. You really can't see it here but the bullet hole is attached to the screen. NOT to the tree's texture. So again while the tree sways in the wind the bullet hole appears to move in an opposite direction.

IMG_0111.JPG

Are we all in agreement that the OP was maximum backfire then? Because it seems many are claiming this game is undisputably the best looking game on any console today. Eat your heart out, SCE WWS?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Are we all in agreement that the OP was maximum backfire then? Because it seems many are claiming this game is undisputably the best looking game on any console today.

I don't think you understand the point of the OP.

strata8

K701 said:
The moment is short lived though and a minute after that you're in this building section where you to have to bust open a lock.... HOLY SHIT THAT LOCK HAS THE WORST TEXTURE I'VE SEEN IN A PS3 GAME EVER. I just stared at it in disbelief for like 15 seconds trying to soak it in.
PS3Padlock.jpg

Hyperbole FTW!

Morgan ragged on Modern Warfare, which lifted direlogue from Aliens in their opening mission.
and CRYSIS 2 does exactly the same!

we GET it, Cameron NAILED IT 25years ago, its time to come up with NEW SHIT SON

Zeal

Banned
playing it on PS3 and i honestly have to say i personally believe KZ3 still trumps this graphically, but it is by a very close margin. graphics are pretty mindblowing on hardware this ancient.

ConradCervantes said:
Are we all in agreement that the OP was maximum backfire then? Because it seems many are claiming this game is undisputably the best looking game on any console today. Eat your heart out, SCE WWS?
No one doubted the game's graphics on consoles.

drugo

Bad LOD e popup in everywhere, no AA with Temporal is the bleeee and final subHD with some pixilated/dithered shadows.
A total mixed bag. :(

K701 said:
Just played a few minutes of the final version for PS3. Maybe it's because I haven't played a console FPS in years but my first immediate impression is that no way this is running at 720p, the models look good but it's super jaggy (I already know it's confirmed to be running at 720p but it looks jagtastic, not just because of the lack of AA.. it looks like... unreal, like nothing I've seen. my tv is 1080p native so that's probably why the IQ looks really bad)
Fuuuuck. Is it really THAT jaggy? I'm particulary allergic to jaggies. Can anyone compare 360 and ps3 Just for jaggies. Does the 360 version have less jaggies? you see, this is the kind of shit that you can't see on a compressed Youtube video..

ConradCervantes said:
Until all this footage leaked, I'm pretty sure most around here were claiming Crytek weren't going to live up to their claims, notably the PS3 version.

ConradCervantes said:

There's no mention of awful console graphics in the OP, which is what we're talking about.
Most of the criticism was in relation to xbox vs ps3 versions plus their respective fanboys overreacting, not in the OP. There is no backfire. The game is still watered down.

drugo

Always-honest said:
Fuuuuck. Is it really THAT jaggy? I'm particulary allergic to jaggies. Can anyone compare 360 and ps3 Just for jaggies. Does the 360 version have less jaggies? you see, this is the kind of shit that you can't see on a compressed Youtube video..

The 360's version have jaggies and temporal AA who creates ghosting around object. :(

drugo said:
The 360's version have jaggies and temporal AA who creates ghosting around object. :(
NOOO-hOOOOO. Come on, is it really that jaggy?

So HOW jaggy is it compared to let's say Halo3 (i thought that game was reallll jaggy)?

strata8

Always-honest said:

So HOW jaggy is it compared to let's say Halo3 (i thought that game was reallll jaggy)?
From the videos and my experience on the MP demo it does not seem that bad at all. I didn't even notice it when I was playing. But who knows, I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

drugo

Always-honest said:

Less jaggy compared with halo3. :)

But the overall image quality is not very good.

Grinchy said:
Yeah that video of the PS3 version is not representative of what GAF has led me to believe about the PS3 version.
Empty map that's not even online. The PS3 demo ran like SHIT. I have it here right in front of me. The frame rate was REALLY bad but it still controlled better than KZ3 which is weird.

NotTarts said:
From the videos and my experience on the MP demo it does not seem that bad at all. I didn't even notice it when I was playing. But who knows, I guess some people are more sensitive than others.
videos don't count. And the multiplayer was jaggy as fuck.
But yeah, if you just look at the videos, the game seems almost clean.

Kibbles

Damn these Campaign videos look really smooth and fantastic, and these are Xbox 360? O_O I wish they would've released a SP demo so we can get a taste of what the real Crytek was working on, not old builds of Free Radical's MP.

Top Bottom