• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Always-honest said:
NOOO-hOOOOO. Come on, is it really that jaggy?

So HOW jaggy is it compared to let's say Halo3 (i thought that game was reallll jaggy)?
Halo 3 runs at a resolution close to that in the PS3 version, and without any AA. Srsly, few games can match H3's jagginess. So it is not a good comparison.

highrider

Banned
both console builds look good to me. after the mp demo i was kind of indifferent about this game, but i'm going to pick this up on either 360 or ps3.

a good replayable singleplayer is pretty compelling to me. reach and killzone 3 delivered on the singleplayer this year imo. would love to have another one to put in rotation.

nib95

Banned
I still don't get why they didn't go MLAA for the PS3 version. It's also weird they dropped the resolution but have higher AF.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nib95 said:
I still don't get why they didn't go MLAA for the PS3 version. It's also weird they dropped the resolution but have higher AF.
Lazy devs?!?! LOL of course I kid but I think both consoles are not going to be the highest IQ and best AA. You do have ghosting, you can see it in the GIF's even. Just gonna have to accept that and watch some good PC footage if you want to see the game at it's best. They did about the best they could but there are glaring flaws on the consoles. And yes, that includes the 360 version that doesn't look much better than the PS3 it seems. You gotta give them credit though as they managed to make the game look decent but at the expense of lower res but with a decent (30-ish or lower) fps. That's why I'd like to see a decent 60fps encode to at least maybe discern some of the slowdowns instead of dealing with bad captures or sub par encoding that erodes the quality for judgement. I'm actually tempted to buy but not at 60. Especially on PC. I would have to trade in some games to soften the blow. I have it almost paid off before I cancelled too!

sinnergy said:
On PS3.. sorry.
On both really :p

I had that happen on the PC demo too. Not that it isn't an older build.

Off to work!

iratA

The biggest problem I had with the PS3 version is the blurry HUD. If you look at comparison screens a few pages back its very clear how sharp the 360 HUD is. Even the multiplayer demo on PS3 had the Blurry HUD, bugs the crap out of me!

Patch this shit Crytek.

sinnergy

LiquidMetal14 said:
Lazy devs?!?! LOL of course I kid but I think both consoles are not going to be the highest IQ and best AA. You do have ghosting, you can see it in the GIF's even. Just gonna have to accept that and watch some good PC footage if you want to see the game at it's best. They did about the best they could but there are glaring flaws on the consoles. And yes, that includes the 360 version that doesn't look much better than the PS3 it seems. You gotta give them credit though as they managed to make the game look decent but at the expense of lower res but with a decent (30-ish or lower) fps. That's why I'd like to see a decent 60fps encode to at least maybe discern some of the slowdowns instead of dealing with bad captures or sub par encoding that erodes the quality for judgement. I'm actually tempted to buy but not at 60. Especially on PC. I would have to trade in some games to soften the blow. I have it almost paid off before I cancelled too!

On both really :p

I had that happen on the PC demo too. Not that it isn't an older build.

Off to work!

Yeah, but I played lots of X360 SP, and it aint that bad.. not worse than other games out there, so to say. But the resolution of the PS3 version isn't doing the AA any favors. But this happens to most games that are scaled-up.

raphier

Banned
So, in other news, no Sandbox 3 included with the PC version. Hardcore mode is now called Extreme.

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=67530&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

Stuff about PC versoin graphics settings:

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10404

so lets put those screens together!

hard is: one box, no graffiti
very hard: no box, one graffiti
extreme: one box and one graffiti

WTF im so happy that i bought a GTX 580 because without that fucking box i wouldn't enjoy the game!
Seems like not a huge advantage taken in any front :p so I say, I applaud crytek putting same fidelity on a 6-years old box.

NotTarts said:
Not really surprised, since it wasn't included on the disk with Crysis Wars, either. I honestly prefer a separate SDK download since they can update it properly, something that never happened with the version included with Crysis.
They will have UDK alternative. An indie version of Cryengine 3 instead(Confirmed by dev). But can it be used to make mini mods for Crysis 2? Make a custom weapon and modify the suit by yourself? Then it's not sandbox for Crysis 2.

NinjaBoiX

domstah said:
Do we know we know what evil "first buyer incentive" EA has forced upon this? No MP without an online pass? Extra Maps? A pillow fluffing service for your couch?
No online pass. Not sure about everything else though.

Xater

iratA said:
The biggest problem I had with the PS3 version is the blurry HUD. If you look at comparison screens a few pages back its very clear how sharp the 360 HUD is. Even the multiplayer demo on PS3 had the Blurry HUD, bugs the crap out of me!

Patch this shit Crytek.

They can't patch that. The game runs with a sub HD resolution it's going to look blurry no matter what.

Xater said:
They can't patch that. The game runs with a sub HD resolution it's going to look blurry no matter what.

Some games draw the HUD after the frame has been upscaled, so you get a crisp HD HUD but a sub-HD picture.

Or so I heard.

NotTarts said:
Only thing with a bonus is the Limited/Nano pre-order editions, but those can be unlocked regularly, anyway.
Can you unlock hologram decoy in normal game? I thought that was exclusive to LE/Nano edition.

strata8

Decarb said:
Can you unlock hologram decoy in normal game? I thought that was exclusive to LE/Nano edition.
They just get it from the very beginning. The others have to earn attachment unlocks to use it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MisterAnderson said:
Steam is going to let us preload the game today and it will be "available" at midnight, right?

any news on this? I'm in the UK so we don't get it until later in the week, but if its preloading I'll make sure my computer is on on Thursday

NotTarts said:
They just get it from the very beginning. The others have to earn attachment unlocks to use it.
Thanks, I wish they would mention this at the bottom of the flyer or whatever, you know, like they do for the numerous car pack DLCs for NFS.

2real4tv

Lighting is really good and probably the best for consoles. But the AI looks brain dead also from looking at YT vids there appears to be alot bugs here and there.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Some games draw the HUD after the frame has been upscaled, so you get a crisp HD HUD but a sub-HD picture.

Or so I heard.

Yep, instead we have stretched button icons + blur on the PS3 version. Good job Crytek! I assume it's the same for the 360 version, but less extreme. Even Alan Wake has a 720p hud.

eso76

YAY, i can grab my copy today.

In the meantime, more 'less positive' second hand impressions from my friend who's shown me that central station gameplay part.

He's playing the final act right now, game is rather long for a fps (12 hours for him) and the central part is the best. He said the acts after that central station chapter (and the one after that) are rather dull and plain looking, which knocked the game down a couple points.

strata8

schennmu said:
Yep, instead we have stretched button icons + blur on the PS3 version. Good job Crytek! I assume it's the same for the 360 version, but less extreme. Even Alan Wake has a 720p hud.
It's because they used the RSX for scaling due to SPU issues (AFAIK).

Also the AI issue is really confusing since they were generally pretty smart and the beta and used cover often and very effectively.

EDIT: Also their AI is scripted in Lua. Yeah...

Feindflug

Always-honest said:
NOOO-hOOOOO. Come on, is it really that jaggy?

So HOW jaggy is it compared to let's say Halo3 (i thought that game was reallll jaggy)?

The 360 version upscaled on 1080p on a 40" HDTV set had very good IQ, some jaggies here and there and some ghosting but overall it looks really sharp and clean (with definitely far less jaggies than Halo 3 and less ghosting than Reach) - in fact it looks like a 720p game with no AA, think something like Battlefield BC2 on consoles in terms of IQ.

I cant wait for actual impressions of the full retail game. Im getting this from Amazon for 360 as I really enjoyed Crysis and Warhead, but the demo left me with mixed feelings. I hate games for consoles that are big on PC and/or are suppose to be graphical showcases, because thats all the thread is about. There should be a sub-thread where everyone can discuss pixels of many varieties, lighting, shadowing, AA, jaggies, lack of jaggies, HD and sub-HD, blur, scaling, pop-ups, where the PC peeps can talk about how great their rig is, etc.

And this thread could actually, you know, could be about what people actually think of the game itself.

Feindflug said:
The 360 version upscaled on 1080p on a 40" HDTV set had very good IQ, some jaggies here and there and some ghosting but overall it looks really sharp and clean (with definitely far less jaggies than Halo 3 and less ghosting than Reach) - in fact it looks like a 720p game with no AA, think something like Battlefield BC2 on consoles in terms of IQ.
okay, that's playable.

LowParry

One of the things that stood out for me with these video's is the sound. I like how the guns sound along with the nano suit voices that come with it. All pretty damn cool. And the game looks great really. Jaggies aren't really an issues with me. So many games have them and I've enjoyed them all. (Exp. Mass Effect 2 (360) ).

Ricker

``Quote:
so lets put those screens together!

hard is: one box, no graffiti
very hard: no box, one graffiti
extreme: one box and one graffiti

WTF im so happy that i bought a GTX 580 because without that fucking box i wouldn't enjoy the game!``

=========================================================

So I just got back into PCgaming,in the sense that I had a 5 year old rig before and just got a good rig a few weeks back,so I have no clue what this one box no graffiti thing means....I want to get Crysis 2 on the PC,besides Rift,this will be my first ``real`` PC game I try...

MMaRsu

Banned
OOOOOOH I read you can replay missions, and that the suit unlocks you have so far are carried over there! So you can replay an older mission with all the suit stuff :).

zorbsie

MMaRsu said:
OOOOOOH I read you can replay missions, and that the suit unlocks you have so far are carried over there! So you can replay an older mission with all the suit stuff :).

That's awesome. Can you play it on a harder difficulty with all the unlocks too?

sleepykyo

ConradCervantes said:
Are we all in agreement that the OP was maximum backfire then? Because it seems many are claiming this game is undisputably the best looking game on any console today. Eat your heart out, SCE WWS?

Not in the slightest. The op is tapping into the disappointment over a lack of dx11, limited customization options and general feeling that Crysis 2 has been dumbed down/streamline for consoles.

bj00rn_

Banned
sleepykyo said:
Not in the slightest. The op is tapping into the disappointed over a lack of dx11, limited customization options and general feeling that Crysis 2 has been dumbed down/streamline for consoles.

Yeah, because that is what has always defined a good game; DX11 and no console-itis..

"I have no trouble getting on high horses. Getting off has always been my problem."

Why a OT for a full-fledged multiplatform title deliberately chooses to cater to a certain narrow crowd instead of being a tad more round, including and nuanced, I have no idea. I don't think much of it, that's for sure.

Neuromancer said:
Yes, my understanding is at 12pm Eastern time.

vpzpjp.gif

bj00rn_ said:
Yeah, because that is what has always defined a good game; DX11 and no console-itis..

"I have no trouble getting on high horses. Getting off has always been my problem."

Why a OT for a full-fledged multiplatform title deliberately chooses to cater to a certain narrow crowd instead of being a tad more round, including and nuanced, I have no idea. I don't think much of it, that's for sure.
Very much agree with you. Could have been a lot more informative info in the OP like a list of multi-player features (guns, perks, attachments, modes). It's a multi-platform game, not a PC exclusive, so why cater to just PC in the OP? Shit wasn't even funny. That Dragon Age II thread was funny, this was half-assed and lame.

Gvaz

Banned
sleepykyo said:
Not in the slightest. The op is tapping into the disappointment over a lack of dx11, limited customization options and general feeling that Crysis 2 has been dumbed down/streamline for consoles.
That's because it is.

Linear levels, no high end features which the first game came with, weird tunnel effect if you increase the fov, huge weapons suited to clear view of what weapon you're using from a distance (like a couch), settings consolidated into three graphics options with no ability to change settings outside of a bat file, etc

Gvaz said:
That's because it is.

Linear levels, no high end features which the first game came with, weird tunnel effect if you increase the fov, huge weapons suited to clear view of what weapon you're using from a distance (like a couch), settings consolidated into three graphics options with no ability to change settings outside of a bat file, etc

This post is streamlined.

adelante

Heavy said:
Very much agree with you. Could have been a lot more informative info in the OP like a list of multi-player features (guns, perks, attachments, modes). It's a multi-platform game, not a PC exclusive, so why cater to just PC in the OP? Shit wasn't even funny. That Dragon Age II thread was funny, this was half-assed and lame.
I gotta admit, that gif in the OP is fuckin brilliant... that said, Crysis2 seems like it will be a treat for console-only gamers expecting a decent shooter, especially those who haven't played the first game and don't have any preconceived opinions on how it's sequel should be. It's just too bad the OP wasn't created with these people in mind...

Top Bottom