• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Gamer Details

kamspy

All those towering rectangles are going to make for some compelling game play!

I wonder if there are enemies in those buildings!

SILVO

Banned
Wait a second... where are all the people that always bitch about nameless, faceless, military supersoldiers that wear supersuits and fight aliens one-man-army style?

Or does that only apply to 360 exclusives?

Kabouter said:
So more like Warhead than the original? :/

I'm getting that vibe too. I hope it still has massive exploration even a more tuned campaign though. Crysis without the sandbox isn't Crysis to me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SILVO said:
Wait a second... where are all the people that always bitch about nameless, faceless, military supersoldiers that wear supersuits and fight aliens one-man-army style?

Do not anger the master race !

Could be awesome, could be a tragedy, im holding my breathe until ive got it in my hands, on my PC.....

I do hope its a mix of both urban and forest/jungle whatever they do.

Now the waiting game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine creating a very specific roller-coaster that remains fun throughout different play-styles and the like in a very Valve-like way (and this is important, I'm not talking about an Infinity Ward-esque roller-coaster here) is a much harder thing to design than a giant-sandbox and some tools.

one leaves the responsibility on the player to design their own fun, which is admirable, whereas the the other requires, presumably, much more iteration and planning to ensure that the room provided to the player is actually fun with the significantly more restricted tool-set available to the player.

I admire what Crytek do, there's certainly an audience for it even if it's not my cup of tea, but I don't think they're on the same level as Valve.

Dennis

Banned
SILVO said:

Go on...

Frenck

Banned
SILVO said:

Do I need to remind you that PC gamers have higher standards than console gamers?

Because they do.

Really.

Not making this up.

Rez said:
I'd imagine creating a very specific roller-coaster that remains fun throughout different play-styles and the like in a very Valve-like way (and this is important, I'm not talking about an Infinity Ward-esque roller-coaster here) is a much harder thing to design than a giant-sandbox and some tools.

one leaves the responsibility on the player to design their own fun, which is admirable, whereas the the other requires, presumably, much more iteration and planning to ensure that the room provided to the player is actually fun with the significantly more restricted tool-set available to the player.

I admire what Crytek do, there's certainly an audience for it even if it's not my cup of tea, but I don't think they're on the same level as Valve.

I don't think you've played Crysis Warhead

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
I don't think you've played Crysis Warhead
it's sitting uninstalled in my Steam list, that much is true. everyone keeps telling me to play it.

I should really get on that.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm going to take this as an opportunity to brag that my main teacher this quarter is Jack Mamais, aka the lead designer of Crysis 1 and Farcry.

This also makes me wonder if Crysis 2 will be as good without him.

I was just thinking about this after seeing the previous games in the Steam holiday sale. I really didn't expect it this year. Can't wait for more info.

Zeliard

I thought Valve's shooter gameplay was at its best in Episode 2, mainly due to the more open environments. I really hope they start veering more in that direction with their future titles. Open levels with some actual freedom of movement is not mutually exclusive to a strong storyline and good characterization.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
He adds that the team "expects to have increased verticality over the traditional Crysis sandbox," and as such the enemy AI is being overhauled to utilize their new surroundings. When queried on the "Crysis is going to consoles, so the design must be gimped" topic, Camarillo explains that that's "not necessarily" the case. "In some ways it has allowed us to avoid overdesigning features, to keep the focus narrower and tight for a compelling experience on all platforms."
Fuck that shit.

Rez said:
it's sitting uninstalled in my Steam list, that much is true. everyone keeps telling me to play it.

I should really get on that.

ok. I just noticed my post could be interpreted the wrong way. If you read "boy, if you don't think crytek is all that, you should check out Warhead to change your mind!" that's not what I meant. I should have been more clear and said "Warhead is more linear and what you're describing compared to Crysis, and the result is not too great"

That said, Crysis is maybe one of my favorite single player shooters in a long time. My favorite type of shooter is the sandbox style where you can approach a situation anyway you want, and possibly have to change tactics because of you fucked up. Games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 are far more memorable and enjoyable than heavily scripted games. I still remember that early fight against a tank in Crysis where I got so panicked that I jumped on the tank, went prone + stealth, and waited until it took me to a better area to get cover.

I enjoyed Warhead for what it was, and as weird as it sounds, there is one section that is literally on-rails that I really liked. I wouldn't want Crysis 2 to go in that direction, and it seems to be.

Zeliard said:
I thought Valve's shooter gameplay was at its best in Episode 2, mainly due to the more open environments. I really hope they start veering more in that direction with their future titles. Open levels with some actual freedom of movement is not mutually exclusive to a strong storyline and good characterization.

Agreed. My favorite shoot out in Half Life anything was that one section with the force fields near those two rows of houses. If Episode 3 is a lot of that, I'd be really happy.

Hmm... hard to say what to make of this. Presumably the new engine is going to use streaming heavily to compensate for the lower RAM on consoles, so it could very well be a decision driven by a desire to design environments that are more easily able to stream. Total 360 degree freedom makes that a bit harder.

On the other hand, Crytek have predominantly made jungle environments and they were pretty awesome. Whatever the reason for the decision I'm pretty keen to see what they do with it. Urban environments and extremely open-ended sandbox gameplay aren't mutually exclusive.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
People forgot that Crysis 2 has the Sandbox Editor in the PC version.
That alone make Crysis 2 the best FPS on the market

Frenck

Banned
shagg_187 said:
So are they moving to a city cause PS3/360 can't handle the massive/lush jungle environment?

I hate to admit it but I doubt that PS3/360 could do a massive crowded city environment either so I doubt that was the reason.

Frenck said:
I hate to admit it but I doubt that PS3/360 could do a massive crowded city environment either so I doubt that was the reason.

Well, they can just do it in a post-apocalyptic style where the city is destroyed and not a lot of people are living in it, but yeah... I personally think console power was the reason they changed it. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out!!

SILVO

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Fuck that shit.

The worst part of it is that this game is probably going to push the 360, and possibly the PS3, as far as they can go, so while the game'll look damn fine on both systems, we probably won't be seeing any improvement in console graphics/complexity until Microsoft and Sony are done milking their outdated hardware to the last drop with motion control.

5 years from now and still rocking a 360: Decade old hardware FTL

Frenck said:

The interview makes it pretty clear the game is going to be far more linear than Crysis or Warhead. It's dressed up in PR but that's still what he is saying. There wont be any massive crowded city.

With the way Crysis trees can be chopped/shot/exploded/crushed and the huge areas there is no way a current gen console is going to do that when it takes enough effort for a moderate to good pc to get it done in HD at 30fps.

I think Crysis 2 will look great but by no means a generation jump like Crysis 1 was at release, just expect pretty visuals and solid gun play.

Arnie

Wait, why New York. I don't doubt Crytek can pull it off but it seems like such a duller environment than the usually beautiful tropical settings of their other games. Perhaps it is a concession to making it multiplatform, perhaps it is a change the team wanted to make to avoid over saturation. I hope during the game's marketing cycle a journalist asks the question, as it really needs asking.

Don't doubt Crytek's ability to pull this off however. From the limited time I have spent with the original Crysis, it was a solid game.

Decado

Ardorx said:
Yeah, God forbid Crytek wanting to make some additional money in order to keep funding great achievements in video game technology.
...which will probably grind to a halt with their work on consoles.

I don't really blame them for going console, but they're probably going to become "just another multiplatform FPS developer" like Monolith. Seems to be the fate of a lot of PC developers.

Decado said:
...which will probably grind to a halt with their work on consoles.

I don't really blame them for going console, but they're probably going to become "just another multiplatform FPS developer" like Monolith. Seems to be the fate of a lot of PC developers.

Monolith WAS just another FPS developer, even on PC.

jim-jam bongs said:
Presumably the new engine is going to use streaming heavily to compensate for the lower RAM on consoles,

CE2 already did that yet still managed to eat up well in excess of 2GB system RAM and 512MB VRAM. I wouldn't suggest they couldn't optimise their memory usage a lot further but there's no silver bulllet that's going to dramatically reduce that figure whilst keeping the exact same experience intact.

brain_stew said:
CE2 already did that yet still managed to eat up well in excess of 2GB system RAM and 512MB VRAM. I wouldn't suggest they couldn't optimise their memory usage a lot further but there's no silver bulllet that's going to dramatically reduce that figure whilst keeping the exact same experience intact.

Absolutely, that's what I was getting at. Recreating a massive environment without "corridoors" of some sort is going to be impossible even using extensive streaming. By making a player's passage through that environment more predictable, however, you can stream far more effectively without having to make it completely linear. Of course it remains to be seen if that's the plan, or if it's Call of Crysis all the way.

'it has allowed us to avoid overdesigning features'

So he tip-toes around calling it gimped by....calling it gimped?

I hate to sound like such a snobby PC gamer (I've only recently gotten back to the platform and enjoy my PS3 so don't tase me bros) but I'm kind of getting sick of PC-franchises being gimped on their way to consoles.

The fun of Crysis was the complexity of the whole thing. You could do so much with the suit and the environment. If they 'streamline' this then I don't care about the game at all. It will just be a pretty tech demo (which the first one wasn't despite most people's claims).

First FEAR now this...what next?

City? Comment on console limiting design freedom?

Hype dwindling.

SILVO said:

Sit in the corner butt hurt junior Halo fan.

Oh yea the dudes in Crysis do have faces, they show them quite often, they also have names.

DennisK4 said:
One day we will get those graphics in game and it will be a good day.
That map was playable according to some article I read about way before.

Moreover I just dont believe that Crytek suffered from privacy as much as they are crying about. I mean in the last 6 years they only made two games (crysis+warhead) and they bought two companies (free radical and black sea studios), opened a dozen studios around the world, had more money to make yet another engine (cryengine 3). How the hell can that happen?

I dont know how many copies they sold, but I guess its more than 3-4 millions. And they were right about being futureproof about their games, whomever I see with a new rig buys Crysis straight away. Its been sellin' continously for years now. That brings more shame to Crytek. They could have left the crysis trilogy PC exclusive and do other different multiplatform game.

Anyway I hope it turns out good.

So..... we're gonna shot the alienz in da FACE!

I for one am hyped about the new environment.
Hopefully there will be a ton of objects to interact with.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I think the demonstration videos showed that they could do lush jungle on the PS3/Xbox360... they had plenty of assets in there and it's all streaming.

I think they just want to do something new. I think a NYC setting could look amazing, and the PC version is going to kick ass with (not counting extra AA, better filtering, better framerate and so on) no doubt lots of extra DirectX11 features.

I'm very curious as to how good it's going to look. I expect Killzone 2 level fidelity at least but in sunshine and not just overcast like in KZ2. That quality set in a known city like New York would look fantastic.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
People are overreacting about the "consolitis" effect. The game looks more gorgeous than even the Crysis mods did. The image with the god rays coming through the trees is fantastic.

Top Bottom